shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help this newbie buying my first engagement ring

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First off, I would like to spend under 4k for the diamond and the setting. I would like an good diamond, but it doesn't have to be too big, her ring size is 5.5 after all... From my research, I read that "cut is King!", so maybe I should only get an ideal cut diamond?? If I can see before I buy that would be great as well. I know that ritani.com will send the ring to the store so I can see it first. Seems ideal to me! I don't know how many they will send. I would like the setting to be classy, antiqueish, and maybe brilliant round diamond. I saw a setting that I like here,

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/erika-winters-bridal/laurel-solitaire-engagement-ring.html#.U_zGb6OGc4c

but it's out of my price range, with the diamond! Where can I found similar for someone with my budget? Really could use some expertise on this, Thank you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ritani sending the rings to the store is nice for some, but consider many places have retrun policies, so you can get the ring home, take your time investigating it in many lighting situations for a few days and then decide if you want to keep it or return it. James allen, for example. will give you a 60 day free return on the diamond AND setting, and they will pay for shipping both ways.

There are a few james allen settings i think would work, but first when you say you dont need the stone "too big" what are we talking here, exactly? .7 cts? .8 cts? .5 cts?

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
I think anything .5-1cts would work. Of course the bigger the better, however I realized my budget and the kind of setting I like might be costly...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just to start, what do you think of this

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.73-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-301481

with this setting, you could add millgraining to make it more antique. last I checked they add millgraining for free.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-tailored-diamond-engagement-ring-item-41042

now we could get bigger if we dropped to the I-J range - though really, only a few points larger, as prices increase at .8 cts. but with that particular setting i stayed G-H range, just because the side stones are large enough you wouldnt want to see the color contrast. What do you think? prefer larger? hate the setting? like it? lol

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

I like the setting but I was looking for something more unique if I can afford to... It is better to buy a smaller diamond with better color/clarity or going with what you have recommended? Maybe it depends on the side diamonds that's included on the ring setting? I don't really think the side diamonds are necessary if the carving on the ring is nice like the example I gave. I like the James Allen site, it has more setting options than ritani! Any other sites might have what I'm looking for?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
barginhunter|1409079850|3739631 said:
Thank you!

I like the setting but I was looking for something more unique if I can afford to... It is better to buy a smaller diamond with better color/clarity or going with what you have recommended? Maybe it depends on the side diamonds that's included on the ring setting? I don't really think the side diamonds are necessary if the carving on the ring is nice like the example I gave. I like the James Allen site, it has more setting options than ritani! Any other sites might have what I'm looking for?

Now this goes for the typical american woman. If you live in a different culture, this may not apply.

Women want a large white eye clean diamond. Eye clean is reffering clarity part. It can be achieved at IF clarity or SI1 clarity. The % chance of finding an eye clean stone decreases the lower you go down, but if you can't see an inclusion you can't see it. So if you can find stones at si1 that are eye clean, and you can, then paying for clarity above that is in essence paying for something you can't see. No reason to go higher than vs2-si1

White refers to color. Stones appear white, particularly in the size range you are looking at at I or better. So you can pay for icy why, or you can safe money by going in the G-I range and buying a stone that is white in a more subtle, glass of what we type of way. Ice and your cup of water are both colorless, but the color is different. Get my drift?

Size is the best you can afford when considering the previous two. And above all, cut is king.

So to answer your question no I don't think you should pay for higher clarity if you can find an eye clean si1. And I don't think you should pay the premium for a stone over a G

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
also, could you elaborate on "unique"? that means a lot of things to people. The setting you posted is pretty classic, not all that unique besides the head, which is beautiful.

Is it that you just want some extra detailing in the head?

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
I think unique in terms of not every other woman might have it on their finger... I like the engraving on the ring and the portion of the ring to the diamond. Not sure if that make sense... I think your advice on the color and clarity is great, I'm going to go with that for sure!
We are both American afterall, bigger is better... haha

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
barginhunter|1409082790|3739655 said:
I think unique in terms of not every other woman might have it on their finger... I like the engraving on the ring and the portion of the ring to the diamond. Not sure if that make sense... I think your advice on the color and clarity is great, I'm going to go with that for sure!

Ha! good, i think shell appreciate that.

But ok, so "not everyone has it" is still a tad vague, so lets think.

You want vintage or do you just want details?

Does the setting need to have diamonds?

Does it have to be white metal?

would a 3 stone work, or do you want more of a solitaire/ solitaire with accents look?

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I recommend looking at the settings here:

http://gabrielny.com/

Lots of unique, vintage style settings at great price points. If you find a setting you like Good Old Gold carries the line, and should be able to work with you to find the right diamond for your budget. They are fantastic to work with!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, has your FF mentioned that she wants (or doesn't want) a particular style of setting? If not, you could spend less on a solitaire and have it engraved or milgrained to make it more unique. Then, you could put the bulk of your budget into the diamond, and get the largest stone possible. Just an idea. ;)) :))

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409083333|3739661 said:
barginhunter|1409082790|3739655 said:

Ha! good, i think shell appreciate that.

But ok, so "not everyone has it" is still a tad vague, so lets think.

You want vintage or do you just want details?

Not necessary vintage but vintage looking. Yes, classy details like the link I referenced

Does the setting need to have diamonds?

The setting doesn't need to have diamonds, I think the ring in the link I posted doesn't.

Does it have to be white metal?

Yes, like the ring in the link I posted

would a 3 stone work, or do you want more of a solitaire/ solitaire with accents look?

Don't really like the 3 stone look

barginhunter

Rough_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
barginhunter|1409089069|3739714 said:
Niel|1409087773|3739705 said:

It's a beautiful ring, the swirl is unique. I like how it looks when the photos are magnitifed, however I don't like that it seats so high up on the finger...

Ah rats! So close!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
question for you. It has to be a round? I asl only because the easiest way to get a classy look while still keeping it from looking like everybody else's is to switch up the shape.

Thats not for everyone. So if she wants a round by all means get a round, but just another idea.

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
Do you know what she wants? Has she given you any hints as to size, settings (halos, how high up, vintage), metal? Does she have a pinterest account you can access? Does she have any jewelry that she has purchased for herself, or any favorite pieces that others have purchased for her to give an indication of style?

Do any of the rings is this thread remind you of her?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/[/URL]
Why?

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409090646|3739728 said:
question for you. It has to be a round? I asl only because the easiest way to get a classy look while still keeping it from looking like everybody else's is to switch up the shape.

Thats not for everyone. So if she wants a round by all means get a round, but just another idea.

Yeah, I was think cushion diamonds as well. My sister talked me out of it because they look smaller, and less sparkly?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ahhhh!!!! Bring on the oval and marquise stones, Niel!! ;)) :bigsmile: :appl: :appl:

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
starrylight|1409091336|3739731 said:
Do you know what she wants? Has she given you any hints as to size, settings (halos, how high up, vintage), metal? Does she have a pinterest account you can access? Does she have any jewelry that she has purchased for herself, or any favorite pieces that others have purchased for her to give an indication of style?

Do any of the rings is this thread remind you of her?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/[/URL]
Why?

She actually doesn't have anything in mind, just something not to showy but classy. She trust my taste, I'm the picky one. :think: size is 5.5.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
barginhunter|1409091650|3739735 said:

Yeah, I was think cushion diamonds as well. My sister talked me out of it because they look smaller, and less sparkly?

hmm well i wouldnt automatically rule out cushions Typically they do face up smaller for the ctw, BUT, say you find a .8 ct cushion for the same price as a .7 ct round, then the "face up size" changes, as you arent comparing apples to apples.

as for sparkle, a well cut cushion can be very sparkly, they are just a little harder to find.

So just cushions and rounds? ovals look similar, and actually face pretty large for the ctw. Just my little plug on that lol

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409092992|3739755 said:
barginhunter|1409091650|3739735 said:

hmm well i wouldnt automatically rule out cushions Typically they do face up smaller for the ctw, BUT, say you find a .8 ct cushion for the same price as a .7 ct round, then the "face up size" changes, as you arent comparing apples to apples.

as for sparkle, a well cut cushion can be very sparkly, they are just a little harder to find.

So just cushions and rounds? ovals look similar, and actually face pretty large for the ctw. Just my little plug on that lol

I actually do like the oval:), do they really sparkle just as well? Would the 4 C's be the same? Really appreciate all your help so far!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm ok. So i had an idea.

what do you think of this

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-milgrain-diamond-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_42042?elem=img&track=product

Its classic and vintage, but still a bit different, which the unique factor could be bumped up my using a cushion.

not all cushions from BN are created equal. These are there branded cushions, well cut, and they come with photos showing what they look like. You can see that they are well cut as i know that was a concern.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD03805838?keyword_search_value=ld03805838

now with the larger cushion, its just about the exact face up serface area as a round, +/- 3% based off this websites calculation.

1209185200.png

_21687.jpg

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409095407|3739776 said:
hmm ok. So i had an idea.

what do you think of this

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-milgrain-diamond-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_42042?elem=img&track=product

Its classic and vintage, but still a bit different, which the unique factor could be bumped up my using a cushion.

not all cushions from BN are created equal. These are there branded cushions, well cut, and they come with photos showing what they look like. You can see that they are well cut as i know that was a concern.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD03805838?keyword_search_value=ld03805838

now with the larger cushion, its just about the exact face up serface area as a round, +/- 3% based off this websites calculation.

This is a great looking one! Decision time! But it is so hard to make up my mind, I'll see how the returns works with Blue nile. Thank you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

barginhunter

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409098769|3739813 said:

Those are really nice looking rings! I'm not in a rush, but I want to get this done by Christmas:) So if there's any other sites I should be looking at, please let me know. Thank you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK.so I've been throwing a lot at you, sorry about that lol.

I would look at blue Nile and James Allen. They have good returns and settings that are more budget friendly.

Go look at aaalllll the settings at both of those websites. See which setting you like best, then we can find a stone for that setting.

One word of warning. Only look at rounds or cushions in blue Nile as other shapes you need to see photos- and you won't get photos of anything besides there BN signature ideals.

But in JA look at all of them. Who knows you might fall in love with an emerald cut!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results