shape
carat
color
clarity

Maximizing finger coverage with emerald cut diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Millennistar

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

Newbie to posting on Pricescope here with a question about ways to maximize the "face up" appearance of an emerald cut diamond:

I''m looking for an emerald cut that will look substantial on a size seven finger. From my completely unscientific arts and crafts project of printing and cutting out ECs of various "carat weights" from a diamond size chart I obtained from a PS post, I''m thinking that 9mm x 7mm is about the minimum size I''d like. Unfortunately, it seems like most ECs with these dimensions are in the 3+ carat range (based on the virtual inventories on PS) which sadly is going to be out of my price range.

Would it be advisable to look for an EC that is cut much more shallow than normal -- so as to maximize the length and width? If EC''s don''t have the fire, brilliance, and scintillation that brilliant cuts have, does depth really matter as much? Any other suggestions on what to look for in an EC that will face up bigger?

Any thoughts or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 1:28:25 AM
Author:Millennistar
If EC's don't have the fire, brilliance, and scintillation that brilliant cuts have, does depth really matter as much?

Perhaps that makes optimum cut even more important in emerald cuts.
Diamonds that are cut better return more light which makes them seem bigger.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all!

Newbie to posting on Pricescope here with a question about ways to maximize the ''face up'' appearance of an emerald cut diamond:

I''m looking for an emerald cut that will look substantial on a size seven finger. From my completely unscientific arts and crafts project of printing and cutting out ECs of various ''carat weights'' from a diamond size chart I obtained from a PS post, I''m thinking that 9mm x 7mm is about the minimum size I''d like. Unfortunately, it seems like most ECs with these dimensions are in the 3+ carat range (based on the virtual inventories on PS) which sadly is going to be out of my price range.

Would it be advisable to look for an EC that is cut much more shallow than normal -- so as to maximize the length and width? If EC''s don''t have the fire, brilliance, and scintillation that brilliant cuts have, does depth really matter as much? Any other suggestions on what to look for in an EC that will face up bigger?

Any thoughts or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
This is a risky one as in doing so cut quality could be compromised and you could end up with a lifeless lump on your finger. You could find something with a shallow depth, large table etc but it might show glare from the table, not much fire due to the accompanying shallow crown height and be generally a boring sort of diamond. Bit of flash and bang but thats it....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 1:35:42 AM
Author: Moh 10

If EC''s don''t have the fire, brilliance, and scintillation that brilliant cuts have, does depth really matter as much?

Perhaps that makes optimum cut even more important in emerald cuts.
Diamonds that are cut better return more light which makes them seem bigger.
Ditto all.

M, I have a very shallow/large tabled EC I inherited. While I love it to bits for the sentimentality, in all honesty, it''s not a very pretty stone, and pretty lifeless. I would not advise going this route myself. Have you considered a halo? Or possibly a 3 stone ring?

i.e.

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=459

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-em1-dani-peaches-gummis-ring-is-finally-here.112202/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/iluvemeralds-custom-ec-ering-is-finally-here.99453/ (with or without diamond band)

Here''s a thread with a hand pic of my ring (close to the bottom), with baguettes. This is a very classic look, and helps with coverage without breaking the bank. For size reference, my finger is a 5.5. The stones diameter is 7.77x3.86, .61 tctw. Side stones approx .25 ctw.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-d-color-rings-please.118474/page-3

And here is a thread full of EC''s, maybe you will get some inspiration! There''s always setting the stone E/W too, but that''s pretty much a hate it/love it type of setting.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ecs-show-me-some-life.82527/

HTH!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto what Ellen said about E-W orientation. I remember a rendition of 3 ECs set EW; it could look phenomenal.
21.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I would suggest a 3 stone ring with all emerald cuts. That is a classic and elegant look and provides good finger coverage. Someone posted a pic of this type of ring on this site lately, and it was a gorgeous ring.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shallower emerald cuts with great life do exist out there- although they are hard to find.
I''ve seen a very nice looking stone right around 2cts that measured over 9.5 in length and 7.5 in the width.

It''s also the kind of stone you''d never want to buy from a list without at least some good photos.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is possible but they are very rare.
I requires the right rough fall into the right persons hands who can get them right.
It doesn''t happen very often.
The biggest problem is finding them from among all the poorly cut ones.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps consider an emerald center with a baguette halo?

Search asscher baguette halo and you''ll find some info on PS.

Like this style...
dk.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 3:48:08 PM
Author: MissPrudential

Like this style...
dk.jpg

Be aware thought that this type of setting will eat up a SUBSTANTIAL part of the budget.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My co-worker has an emerald cut (although it''s big, maybe 2 carat) with half moon sides. It''s set low, so she has good coverage. I can''t get a picture of it until I''m back in the office, though.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 3:59:15 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 8/11/2009 3:48:08 PM
Author: MissPrudential

Like this style...
dk.jpg

Be aware thought that this type of setting will eat up a SUBSTANTIAL part of the budget.
Very, very good point... What about a bezel with steps like laurenthepartier''s?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results