shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Time for an upgrade for my earrings with BGD!!

itzme

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers! I've figured it's time for an upgrade since I originally bought my studs with BGD a little more than a year ago. I currently have .315 and .316 I VS2 studs. I thought the size would be sufficient to tie me over from thinking I would ever need to change them, since my earlobes are so small.

But the PS bug has drained its venom in me and my eyes, like yours, see diamond shrinkage as time passes. I do think this upgrade will last though because I want daily studs that look substantial without being "too much".

Anyhow, I have narrowed down some options, would like your opinions to help me make the best choice that the most "bang for my buck". With my current I-colored studs, I do see a little warmth when I take them off and plant them upside down. When they are on my ears, I suppose it's fine. Not sure if I can see a color difference on my ears if I upgrade them to H-colored studs. Another concern I have is the inclusion plot and that these are all SI1, down from VS1. I was told these are all eye-clean, but I'm still nervous nonetheless.

My upgrade options are all BGD H&A (no ASET and Heart images except for the certificates are up considering these are quite new):

1) .448 I SI1 - $892
measuring 4.92 x 4.96 x 3.02
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.448-i-si1-round-diamond-ags-c-104062606023

2) .441 I SI1 - $892
measuring 4.92 x 4.94 x 3.00
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.441-i-si1-round-diamond-ags-c-104062428101

OR

3) .441 H SI1 - $945
measuring 4.89 x 4.91 x 3.03
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.441-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-c-104062894136

4) .444 H SI1 - $945
measuring 4.88 x 4.92 x 3.02
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.444-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-c-104062894131

Then, the settings! I currently have the 4-prong martinis from GOG, but they aren't that comfortable, since the point is quite sharp and I often find it digging into my earholes. It was also quite a headache to coordinate to have them set by BGD. Now my options are:

A) Truth settings, which I've always loved but couldn't opt for them because the current studs were too small. Now, I have the opportunity to, but they are quite expensive and I like my earrings to be set low. Not sure if these would. I also prefer minimal metal to show.

B) Handmade martini, love the rounded silouhette with minimal metal. Looks very comfortable, but since there is the little donut at the end I'm unsure if it'll sit low and close to my earlobes.

C)Martini Cocktail- Nice typical martini with the rounded "legs" and the circle that goes around (not sure what that's called), but quite pricey for a typical setting

D) 6 prong or 8 prong setting- Love the 8 prong look on Stargurl87!! I've never tried it on myself and I tend to like minimal metal.

If it matters, if I decide this upgrade is here to stay, I plan on getting jackets for them.

One last thought, does BGD tend to have promos at this time? I remember seeing the promo for $150 off jackets with matched pairs last year....

I hope to put in a deposit by later this afternoon for the stones, so your opinion would be greatly appreciated!!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you sure that
1. 0.45-0.48ct size will be large enough, and
2. the size difference is significant enough to be worth the upgrade effort and $$?

Lastly, what do you plan to do with your current studs, diamonds and setting?

Perhaps ask yourself this question. Assuming that money is no object, what is the largest carat size diamond your earlobe can fit? If it is larger than 0.45-0.48ct, get that size when you are ready to upgrade.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have .44/.43 studs from BGD in the handmade 3 prong martini setting. I am happy with the size and I do wear them with jackets, but if I were to upgrade, I'd to go .60/.70 in each ear. So I am also going to second FancyDiamond's suggestion - go for the size you REALLY want (and if the .44's are *it*, then great!) and then just upgrade once.

As for the 3 prong from BGD, I find them VERY comfortable, no issues with the 'point' affecting my pierced hole, and I have tension backs.

itzme

Rough_Rock
FancyDiamond|1359751934|3369901 said:
Are you sure that
1. 0.45-0.48ct size will be large enough, and
2. the size difference is significant enough to be worth the upgrade effort and $$?

Lastly, what do you plan to do with your current studs, diamonds and setting?

Perhaps ask yourself this question. Assuming that money is no object, what is the largest carat size diamond your earlobe can fit? If it is larger than 0.45-0.48ct, get that size when you are ready to upgrade.

Thanks FancyDiamond for answering! I think .45 should be adequate for now. I saw Stargurl87's upgrade pics and I think it looks like a good size. I also want this size for the best "bang for my buck". I can avoid the premium of going pass .5 ct. I'm also not in the financial position to upgrade to .6-.7 ct each yet. I don't see that happening for a while. Hence, I plan to go for .45 ct each.

Since I am upgrading, my current diamonds will go back to BGD and I'll be paying the difference. My settings will be empty, I may but in some other stones in there or whatever.

itzme

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1359753002|3369913 said:
I have .44/.43 studs from BGD in the handmade 3 prong martini setting. I am happy with the size and I do wear them with jackets, but if I were to upgrade, I'd to go .60/.70 in each ear. So I am also going to second FancyDiamond's suggestion - go for the size you REALLY want (and if the .44's are *it*, then great!) and then just upgrade once.

As for the 3 prong from BGD, I find them VERY comfortable, no issues with the 'point' affecting my pierced hole, and I have tension backs.

Thanks for your input Enerchi! I'm so glad to hear the .44 size works well for you. What made you choose these over the martini cocktail ones? We're the truth settings ever considered?

Do you have any action shots of your earrings? Did you make any special adjustments or requests for your setting?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
If you think you will NOT ever upgrade again, then I'd get the H stones and pick the setting you love most. If there is a chance you might ever upgrade, I might stick with the I stones, but get a cheaper setting.

Is BGD allowing you to upgrade without upgrading in two areas? i.e. carat size, clarity, color? My understanding is that you have to upgrade in two areas for an upgrade.

itzme

Rough_Rock
lizzyann|1359759806|3370051 said:
If you think you will NOT ever upgrade again, then I'd get the H stones and pick the setting you love most. If there is a chance you might ever upgrade, I might stick with the I stones, but get a cheaper setting.

Is BGD allowing you to upgrade without upgrading in two areas? i.e. carat size, clarity, color? My understanding is that you have to upgrade in two areas for an upgrade.

Lizzyann, thanks for bringing that up. I will clarify with BGD. If I happen to be able to, is it still worth putting in an extra $150 for one color grade? I can't say I won't ever upgrade again, but I don't see that in the near future given the big price jump after 0.5ct

I have read that AGS color grade can be one grade off from GIA. I do see a tad warmth in my I studs, but that could be a mind thing... who knows. But I would like to save $150 if there isn't a noticeable difference.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
itzme|1359762240|3370079 said:
lizzyann|1359759806|3370051 said:

Lizzyann, thanks for bringing that up. I will clarify with BGD. If I happen to be able to, is it still worth putting in an extra $150 for one color grade? I can't say I won't ever upgrade again, but I don't see that in the near future given the big price jump after 0.5ct

I have read that AGS color grade can be one grade off from GIA. I do see a tad warmth in my I studs, but that could be a mind thing... who knows. But I would like to save $150 if there isn't a noticeable difference.

I also have owned two pairs of BGD studs. My first pair was 1.2ctw J SI1's. It was weird because I didn't think I could see too much warmth in them until I saw my H's. I upgraded to 1.54ctw H SI1's. And the H's are much whiter to me than the J's. But having said that, I was never disappointed with my J's. Sorry that probably doesn't help much. However if BGD requires you to upgrade in 2 areas it will be a no brainer to get the H's. You could always get jackets down the road for a reasonable price too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, be careful about their upgrade policy to be sure you could upgrade again later if you decide to do so. But this size is close to a half carat, so these should work well with jackets which may work to give you two different sizes. I am afraid I like the look of 4 prongs for stones that will have jackets. I mean, when you have a halo ring, almost always it has 4 prongs, so studs with jackets with three prongs bugs me, personally. Although, I know they are small and no one will probably notice!

If it won't hinder you from upgrading later, I'd for sure go with the H's since the price difference is so small. I have H studs and think it is a great color for studs.

itzme

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1359769006|3370150 said:
Yes, be careful about their upgrade policy to be sure you could upgrade again later if you decide to do so. But this size is close to a half carat, so these should work well with jackets which may work to give you two different sizes. I am afraid I like the look of 4 prongs for stones that will have jackets. I mean, when you have a halo ring, almost always it has 4 prongs, so studs with jackets with three prongs bugs me, personally. Although, I know they are small and no one will probably notice!

If it won't hinder you from upgrading later, I'd for sure go with the H's since the price difference is so small. I have H studs and think it is a great color for studs.

Diamondseeker, thanks for your opinion. I have read that your comfort color is H, and it has stuck with me for some reason. I have read a few posts about AGS looking one color grade less than stated compared to GIA. I'm worried my I-colored studs are more inline with a GIA J, and hence that is why I see some "warmth". In regards to the jackets, F-G melee are usually used, and I don't know how sensitive I would be in seeing the color difference with I-colored studs and F-G stones surrounding it.

Also, do you mind taking a look at the inclusion plot for the stones and tell me how you feel about them given they are SI1 clarity? THe I-colored stones seem to have cleaner plots. Do you think that would affect anything? Though they did tell me it's eye clean....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the inclusion plot really is a good indicator of whether a stone is eyeclean or not, because one of the messiest plots is with twining wisps, and those stones often are very clean! I guess I might ask if the crystal in the center of the .441 is white and not black, and make sure the feather doesn't show from the sides. The .444 looks like it has tiny inclusions spread out, so it doesn't look bad. That is another advantage to a 4 prong setting like the Truth, the sides are covered a little more in the event it wasn't totally eyeclean from the sides. But you can't see the sides once they are on the ears, so it really doesn't matter. I would ask, however, if the Truth settings would work as well with jackets as baskets and martini's, though, because that would be important.

You have a good point about jackets working better with H color studs than I color.

Efriede

Shiny_Rock
Hi, there! I have 0.49 each H Sl studs in platinum Truth settings and this is definately the best purchase I have ever done. H color is brighter than I and will work better with your possible jackets in F/G. As for the settings, if you ever plan to upgrade Have a look at 8 prong martinis, but if you think you will use these new upgraded studs for a while I dont hesitate to recommend the Truth settings. I ,like DS, love 4 prong look on studs, they are very elegant and swoopy, dont nestle too deep in a hole as martinis and dont stick out like baskets might have. Very comfortable on the ears and estetically..oh..the ..pleasure..

Cant wait to see your smtb thread and come back with a lot of pictures!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
itzme|1359759474|3370045 said:
Enerchi|1359753002|3369913 said:

Thanks for your input Enerchi! I'm so glad to hear the .44 size works well for you. What made you choose these over the martini cocktail ones? We're the truth settings ever considered?

Do you have any action shots of your earrings? Did you make any special adjustments or requests for your setting?

This is one of the glamour shots I received and below are 2 shots when I received my 3pt jackets from IDJ last summer, and then 1 with just the studs alone. I have big ear lobes (and noticing... my hair has been a few different shades in the past year... hmm...!!) and even still, the studs are a decent size on my ears when worn alone.
I knew I wanted the martini's - I just liked that they were an odd number and they were clean and modern in design. I never considered the Truth setting, nor would I go for a basket because that style does not appeal to me and I worried about tipping forward. But that's me! :))

Hope that helps!

img_1739.jpg

bg_martini.jpg

img_529.jpg

img_0889.jpg

itzme

Rough_Rock
Efriede|1359791348|3370343 said:
Hi, there! I have 0.49 each H Sl studs in platinum Truth settings and this is definately the best purchase I have ever done. H color is brighter than I and will work better with your possible jackets in F/G. As for the settings, if you ever plan to upgrade Have a look at 8 prong martinis, but if you think you will use these new upgraded studs for a while I dont hesitate to recommend the Truth settings. I ,like DS, love 4 prong look on studs, they are very elegant and swoopy, dont nestle too deep in a hole as martinis and dont stick out like baskets might have. Very comfortable on the ears and estetically..oh..the ..pleasure..

Cant wait to see your smtb thread and come back with a lot of pictures!

Hi Efriede! Do you mind posting some pics of your set and ear shots? Does the truth settings sit low onto the earlobes or does it have the effect of a basket? I personally do not like the baskets and the way they protrude out. The profile of the truth settings really are something else! I drool every time I see them. Are the prongs small, fine and dainty?

I honestly don't think I will be doing another upgrade for at least 3 years, especially if I get jackets for them later on this year. But then again, being on pricescope can never be safe. Lol. :devil:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for the record, BG usually uses very low baskets like Tiffany does for their studs (and like I special ordered from WF). They are less likely to droop than martini's because the base is flat against the ear. Of course, Truth settings are very elegant. I would just want to see how they fit in jackets.

Here are Efriede's Truth studs:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-0-98-tcw-bgd-truth-studs.170809/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-0-98-tcw-bgd-truth-studs.170809/[/URL]

itzme

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1359828953|3370577 said:
Just for the record, BG usually uses very low baskets like Tiffany does for their studs (and like I special ordered from WF). They are less likely to droop than martini's because the base is flat against the ear. Of course, Truth settings are very elegant. I would just want to see how they fit in jackets.

Here are Efriede's Truth studs:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-0-98-tcw-bgd-truth-studs.170809/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-0-98-tcw-bgd-truth-studs.170809/[/URL]

Thanks Diamondseeker for linking me to Efriede's pics, I tried doing a search and I really thought there were more posts on the Truth earrings. In also curious to see how they fit with jackets as well. Hopefully someone who has the combo can chime in to how me their bling shots :)

Btw, if BGD can handmake 4-prong martinis, which would you recommend in comparison to the truth?

Would it also be helpful for them to take a shot of the two I-colored stones next to the H-colored ones?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think I would go for the H stones if you plan to wear them with jackets. And thank you for the compliment on my 8-prong studs! ::) I love them so of course those settings get my vote but if you don't go that route, I think the truth settings are stunning.

Can't wait to see what you decide! =)

itzme

Rough_Rock
stargurl78|1359851760|3370804 said:
I think I would go for the H stones if you plan to wear them with jackets. And thank you for the compliment on my 8-prong studs! ::) I love them so of course those settings get my vote but if you don't go that route, I think the truth settings are stunning.

Can't wait to see what you decide! =)

Stargurl, do you mind sharing how much you paid for your settings? Are they 14k or 18k?

Enerchi, your set is stunning! Love all the ear shots!

itzme

Rough_Rock
So I spoke wih Jamie to check out the stones for me and this is what she advised:

I definitely think that the I's are the better selection because if you look from the side on the H's right up close you could pick up on a inclusion.  The feathers you cannot see from the tops or sides so that is the better set.

Given this information, should I go for the I's? I will be staring at them upclose to check it out so I would most likely be bugged if I can see it with the naked eye. Or I should wait for more .44 H colors to be stocked? It might take a while though. What would all of you do??

Jamie also told me she doesn't know of anyone who bought the truth settings and had jackets with them, but the 8-prongs should sit slightly lower and would compliment jackets more since it can disguise the airline, which I'm not a fan of.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
So BGD is ok with just upgrading the carat weight for studs? Good to know! I really should not give myself any ideas though! :naughty:

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
itzme|1360086726|3372852 said:
So I spoke wih Jamie to check out the stones for me and this is what she advised:

I definitely think that the I's are the better selection because if you look from the side on the H's right up close you could pick up on a inclusion.  The feathers you cannot see from the tops or sides so that is the better set.

Given this information, should I go for the I's? I will be staring at them upclose to check it out so I would most likely be bugged if I can see it with the naked eye. Or I should wait for more .44 H colors to be stocked? It might take a while though. What would all of you do??

Jamie also told me she doesn't know of anyone who bought the truth settings and had jackets with them, but the 8-prongs should sit slightly lower and would compliment jackets more since it can disguise the airline, which I'm not a fan of.

Hey - just an FYI Denise told me Brian was going to Belgium this week (Monday) to look for more stock. She said they'd have stuff listed within a couple weeks after he got back (don't know when that is). So if you are not totally happy with these I stones (though I think they are gorgeous) there might be more stock coming soon.

itzme

Rough_Rock
Thanks Jax for the intel! I'll ask to see what they're expecting. Jamie did say the H stones are excellent SI1 stones though, unless if I keep scrutinizing to look at the inclusion.

Would it bother any of you? I feel like it already does! LOL. Am I overreacting though? Given the size, is it impractical to let it bother me?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I am the wrong one to ask because my diamond studs are H VS2! I don't like to worry about clarity! I think if you go with one of these two pairs, you should go with the cheapest settings until you are certain you are keeping them permanently. It really sounds like you'd rather have H color but you want 100% eyeclean stones. I understand that because I am the same way. I really think I would wait and see what else they get in. There's really no point in changing to something you already have doubts about.

Oh, and I do like 4 prong martini's better than 3, especially because I think they look better in jackets. I have always worried about the ear hole stretching over time with martini's, and that is why I go with low baskets. The Truth settings are prettier than baskets, but I am just not sure they will do as well in jackets.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1360119171|3373236 said:
Well, I am the wrong one to ask because my diamond studs are H VS2! I don't like to worry about clarity! I think if you go with one of these two pairs, you should go with the cheapest settings until you are certain you are keeping them permanently. It really sounds like you'd rather have H color but you want 100% eyeclean stones. I understand that because I am the same way. I really think I would wait and see what else they get in. There's really no point in changing to something you already have doubts about.

Oh, and I do like 4 prong martini's better than 3, especially because I think they look better in jackets. I have always worried about the ear hole stretching over time with martini's, and that is why I go with low baskets. The Truth settings are prettier than baskets, but I am just not sure they will do as well in jackets.
This has my vote too ... wait & see what else comes in w/ the "H" color that you want. You will be OVER THE MOON when you get them and put them on for the first time!

itzme

Rough_Rock
Stargurl78, do you mind me asking what were the measurements for your stones?

I too am hoping to get the IDJ jackets to pair when I do the upgrade.

Do you think .448 ct and .435 ct will have much of a visual difference? I love he way your studs fit your jackets now. Would affect the way the stones fit the jackets if I were to get .435?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to compare diameter and not weight because .43 could have a larger diameter than .44! What are the diameters?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
itzme|1362354757|3395463 said:
Stargurl78, do you mind me asking what were the measurements for your stones?

I too am hoping to get the IDJ jackets to pair when I do the upgrade.

Do you think .448 ct and .435 ct will have much of a visual difference? I love he way your studs fit your jackets now. Would affect the way the stones fit the jackets if I were to get .435?

Mine are 4.88 x 4.90 x 3.02 mm and 4.88 x 4.91 x 3.01 mm. Hope that helps!

And DS is right about comparing the diameters. I just looked up the stones on the BGD site and I think I would go with the 0.435 and the 0.438 ct H SI1 pair, instead of going with the 0.448 ct (DS - what do you think? I know you're usually good at picking diamonds for pairs). I'm sure either way you would be fine, but I think those would make a better match since they are closer in size and are the same color. I also think SI1 is perfect for earrings, even if there are minor inclusions. I doubt anyone would be able to see them with their naked eye. Mine are both SI1 and they look perfectly clear and sparkly to me!

itzme

Rough_Rock
Duh! How could I have forgotten to include measurements?

Stargurl, the .435 and .438 H SI1 is exactly what I am deciding on now. I'm just wondering if the size difference would affect how it fits into the jackets you got from IDJ.

Measurements as follows:

.435 ct
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.435-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-c-104063262095
Measurements: 4.87 x 4.90 x 2.99

.438 ct
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.438-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-c-104063262094
 Measurements: 4.87 x 4.89 x 3.02

Compared to the prior .448ct, with  Measurements: 4.92 x 4.96 x 3.02

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
itzme|1362419526|3396009 said:
Duh! How could I have forgotten to include measurements?

Stargurl, the .435 and .438 H SI1 is exactly what I am deciding on now. I'm just wondering if the size difference would affect how it fits into the jackets you got from IDJ.

Measurements as follows:

.435 ct
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.435-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-c-104063262095
Measurements: 4.87 x 4.90 x 2.99

.438 ct
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.438-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-c-104063262094
 Measurements: 4.87 x 4.89 x 3.02

Compared to the prior .448ct, with  Measurements: 4.92 x 4.96 x 3.02

Hmm... They are just about the same as the measurements of my stones. I guess it depends on what settings you go with. Have you decided on those? If you went with 8 prongs, I think those would work perfectly, I don't see any airline with my jackets. If you go with 3 or 4, I wonder if you would see a bit of a gap. Maybe something to discuss with BGD? Or decide if you like how Enerchi's look, since she has a 0.43/0.44ct pair with the 3-prong studs. Don't you hate trying to decide on something when you can't see the options right in front of you?! I know I had the hardest time committing to a certain size or settings but I am very happy with the ones I went with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results