shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on Images & Sarin from Third JA Emerald-Cut Please!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
Here are the images and the Sarin report for the third emerald-cut from JA. The first two were meh.

The sales rep's comments: "I'm happy to say that this diamond has nice light performance, faces eye clean, and is icy white in color. The attached ASET images don't exactly support these findings but the gemologist confirmed that this diamond does perform nicely and that you won't see it as emerald diamond with weak light performance."

Not sure how to interpret his comments. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but not bad either.

Link to stone: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1440682.asp
I like the clipped corners on this one.

Sarin: Nice, high crown. ETA: Posted a larger image after the scans.

Forgot to say -- Thanks for your help!

1440682sarin.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Feedback on Images & Sarin from Third JA Emerald-Cut Ple

I'm no expert, so I have nothing great to add- just that I love step cuts and am enjoying living vicariously through you :)

Lula

Ideal_Rock

1440682aset1.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Second image:

1440682aset2.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Trying to post a larger Sarin, and the size won't budge. Okay -- looks like it's bigger now. Note how the cutting seems pretty good on this one the culet and table aren't off-center.

1440682sarin3.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Amys Bling|1326923320|3106147 said:
I'm no expert, so I have nothing great to add- just that I love step cuts and am enjoying living vicariously through you :)
:wavey: Hi, Amy. LOL -- Well, grab your popcorn, cuz it looks like it's going to take a while for me to find one! I love step cuts, too. I have always wanted one, but good ones are almost impossible to find these days.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Don't know much about technicalities of ECs, BUT I love the corners on that stone and it seems very beautiful from the photos. Love the F color. I've purchased a stone from JA and the gemologist's reports were accurate in my experience. How will you be setting it? So exciting!! :appl:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I doubt this is eye-clean.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think it has potential. Is it eyeclean honey?

Lula

Ideal_Rock

ihy138|1326932809|3106285 said:
Don't know much about technicalities of ECs, BUT I love the corners on that stone and it seems very beautiful from the photos. Love the F color. I've purchased a stone from JA and the gemologist's reports were accurate in my experience. How will you be setting it? So exciting!! :appl:

Thanks, ihy! I'm unsure about settings right now. But so far the top two choices are
1. a simple, modern bezel.
2. a deco-style 5-stone setting with baguettes.

But I think the bezel will show off the clipped corners nicely :love:

Lula

Ideal_Rock

MissStepCut and Gypsy -- Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about that crystal that appears to be located in the center of the stone. JA claims the stone is eye-clean face up. But that crystal could be fairly obvious from the side.

So far, the pros are:
Nice wide corners
Good crown height
Love the F color

Cons are:
Possible clarity issue
Thick girdle

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Here's another version with a more rectangular-shaped center:

2679076772_de7847b1ef.jpg

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Lula|1326935820|3106320 said:

Thanks, ihy! I'm unsure about settings right now. But so far the top two choices are

That will be beautiful! Any possibility of you buying the stone to inspect and returning it? I know JA has a great return policy.

Gypsy said:

Still in love with this setting... :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lula|1326936494|3106334 said:

I ADORE this one. Going to add the pic to my hoard.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lula|1326936049|3106325 said:
MissStepCut and Gypsy -- Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about that crystal that appears to be located in the center of the stone. JA claims the stone is eye-clean face up. But that crystal could be fairly obvious from the side.

So far, the pros are:
Nice wide corners
Good crown height
Love the F color

Cons are:
Possible clarity issue
Thick girdle

I have a thick girdle. Not really an issue on mine with the crown height and rest of the angles, and from what I can see I think it will be fine with yours. I don't kick stones out of bed for thick girdles unless it really impacts spread and light return.

I'd check it out in person. A small crystal wouldn't bug me from the side, probably. So I would see it in person and see how you feel about the 'birthmark'.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

ihy138|1326936936|3106339 said:
Lula|1326935820|3106320 said:

That will be beautiful! Any possibility of you buying the stone to inspect and returning it? I know JA has a great return policy.

Gypsy said:

Still in love with this setting... :love:

Yes, I think I will order it and take a look at it in person. JA has a great return policy. They also told me that if I decide to keep the diamond, and want them to set it, they will pay return shipping within 60 days of my purchase. I'd take them up on that option if I decide to go with a simple E-W setting.

I love the carre cuts in the setting Gypsy linked. I think your warmer-colored EC in that setting would be striking. I wonder if ERD could use blue sapphire carre cuts in that setting?

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1326937578|3106350 said:
Lula|1326936494|3106334 said:

I ADORE this one. Going to add the pic to my hoard.

I love this one, too. The ratio of the center EC is more like 1:60 - 1:80. That setting suits that stone to a T.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1326937714|3106352 said:
Lula|1326936049|3106325 said:

So far, the pros are:
Nice wide corners
Good crown height
Love the F color

Cons are:
Possible clarity issue
Thick girdle

I have a thick girdle. Not really an issue on mine with the crown height and rest of the angles, and from what I can see I think it will be fine with yours. I don't kick stones out of bed for thick girdles unless it really impacts spread and light return.

I'd check it out in person. A small crystal wouldn't bug me from the side, probably. So I would see it in person and see how you feel about the 'birthmark'.

Okay, great. I'm glad to hear that the thick girdle on this stone shouldn't be an issue. In a stone this size, the crystal may just be too small to have much of an impact on the appearance -- I agree. It might be a useful identifying birthmark, too.

ETA: Thanks, everyone, for your setting suggestions and feedback on the stone! I think it's worth a look in person.

Karl?? Are you out there? Any thoughts on EC Version 3?

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock

Hi Lula :wavey: Sorry im a bit late to this thread...im no expert of course but wanted to chime in to say those asets dont look too great, and yep it seems like there could be a clarity issue. With the asets, clearly with step cuts you see more green than with well cut rounds, but thats pretty much all green.Still ive heard there is an art to taking an ASET so it could be the vendor i went with when i bought an EC last year was just more adept at it (they certainly do a lot of them).

I spoke with JA on a couple of stones and they were very helpful. Fingers crossed you can trust their gemologist because in the end it often comes down to their eyes looking for you (i went for a VS2 stone and was assured beforehand it was eye clean which it was).

best of luck, lula, cant wait to see what you get (and hear how this stone is in person!) =) =)

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

My issue with the clarity is, I think you could get a similar "level" of eye-clean in a SI1 (at an SI1 price).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Lula|1326923400|3106150 said:

The real pic matches the aset.
Nice in some lighting but not an all around performer imho

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Lula! :wavey: At it again I see! :lol: We are hopeless! :wacko: I adore the clipped corners on this stone, in fact, if I had to change anything about my stone it would be that I wish that the corners were just a bit deeper. SInce I've gotten it I have been considering changing the head and adding claw prongs to really play it up. When I look down at it, it just looks to square to me sometimes.

I feel super lucky that I ended up with a stone with the light performance that I really wanted. People kept trying to tell me that I would be disappointed with the glassy appearance of a step cut, but all I can say now is :tongue: , it doesn't look glassy at all! But, that was just luck, I really had no idea what I was doing when I made the purchase. I fell in love with the stone and I sort of, kind of , knew what the general numbers should be, and got lucky.

Anyway, it seems you have this all under control, so I really have no advice to offer. Your setting ideas are TDF. Congratulations and I can't wait to see what you get!

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Blackpaw|1326944824|3106435 said:
Hi Lula :wavey: Sorry im a bit late to this thread...im no expert of course but wanted to chime in to say those asets dont look too great, and yep it seems like there could be a clarity issue. With the asets, clearly with step cuts you see more green than with well cut rounds, but thats pretty much all green.Still ive heard there is an art to taking an ASET so it could be the vendor i went with when i bought an EC last year was just more adept at it (they certainly do a lot of them).

I spoke with JA on a couple of stones and they were very helpful. Fingers crossed you can trust their gemologist because in the end it often comes down to their eyes looking for you (i went for a VS2 stone and was assured beforehand it was eye clean which it was).

best of luck, lula, cant wait to see what you get (and hear how this stone is in person!) =) =)

Blackpaw, thanks for your input. I remember reading about your emerald-cut search. Your ring is TDF. :love:

The green concerns me. A lot. And that's with the knowledge that each vendor's photo setup is different. I could live with lower clarity if the stone was a knock-out in appearance. Not sure that's the case here, though.

JA has been very helpful. I do agree with you that in the end it does come down to trusting the gemologist's eyes. But what concerns me about that is that the gemologist may have very different ideas than I do about what makes a lively emerald-cut. Personal preference varies on length-width ratios, size of corners, patterning, etc. This is why, after sleeping on this, I'm thinking I'll be working with vendors who provide videos. It's just to difficult to judge fancies from static images.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

MissStepcut|1326945353|3106442 said:
My issue with the clarity is, I think you could get a similar "level" of eye-clean in a SI1 (at an SI1 price).

This is an excellent point, MissStepcut. Thank you!

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Karl_K|1326953961|3106505 said:
Lula|1326923400|3106150 said:

The real pic matches the aset.
Nice in some lighting but not an all around performer imho

Hmm, I think I'm getting better at "reading" step cuts! This was my suspicion based on the images and the gemologist's comments about this stone. Thanks, Karl.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Christina...|1326971916|3106548 said:
Lula! :wavey: At it again I see! :lol: We are hopeless! :wacko: I adore the clipped corners on this stone, in fact, if I had to change anything about my stone it would be that I wish that the corners were just a bit deeper. SInce I've gotten it I have been considering changing the head and adding claw prongs to really play it up. When I look down at it, it just looks to square to me sometimes.

I feel super lucky that I ended up with a stone with the light performance that I really wanted. People kept trying to tell me that I would be disappointed with the glassy appearance of a step cut, but all I can say now is :tongue: , it doesn't look glassy at all! But, that was just luck, I really had no idea what I was doing when I made the purchase. I fell in love with the stone and I sort of, kind of , knew what the general numbers should be, and got lucky.

Anyway, it seems you have this all under control, so I really have no advice to offer. Your setting ideas are TDF. Congratulations and I can't wait to see what you get!

Yes, we are all hopeless on this board, I am afraid. You are indeed very lucky that you found your stone! I think a lot of step-cut hunting involves luck and a good idea of what you want the stone to look like (preferences for patterning, corners, l x w ratio). That said, there are a lot of "dead" looking step cuts out there. Plus, most jewelers in my area have only a few in stock, and that limits my ability to compare them. Without having a better idea of what I'm looking for, I can't even ask them to call in stones for comparison. And the prices -- yikes. I'm lucky because I've tried on a few rings with stones in the .60 - .90 carat range and that size range works on my hand and is not too flashy for my "real" life. Though I will add side stones because I like the look. I started looking for an emerald-cut in 2009, and gave up because it was too hard to find a good one online. That was before a lot of vendors were using videos. I bought a round instead. I really regret not going with my shape preference the first time around. Oh, well, live and learn! I do know a heck of a lot about modern brilliant rounds now, and could pick a good one with one eye closed and my hands tied behind my back :loopy:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Sarin looks very promising but where I put more trust is in the ASET, and that is sorely lacking - too much green and barely anything else. Seems like maybe it's just a slightly above average EC.

ETA
Good grief, I'm missing huge chunks of words and worse yet, Lula has quoted it so everybody can see it for posterity before I can correct my grammar. :oops: I'll be surprised if anybody can make heads or tails of what I've written.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results