shape
carat
color
clarity

Do NOT go to Leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kokolee804

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to warn people re. Leon Mege and wanted to offer some humble advice.

I think he''s built a reputation as a good stone setter in NYC. I went to his office and walked out in absolute horror.

Sure his designs are better than mom and pop stores but it is no way near any of the major chains like Harry Winston, Tiffany etc...

But he was charging 4K-5K (just labor NOT including cost of diamonds) for even the simpler designs.

And the worst part is that HE WAS SO ARROGANT. I have never seen anyone with so much attitude problem in my life. He was making such rude remarks it was ridiculous and very upsetting.

I would advise everyone to think twice before going to him. For extra 4K-5K plus I would rather upgrade my stone. I think even if you go to Harrry Winston, you will end up getting a better deal if you factor in his cost.

Sorry for such negative comment but I felt that it needed to be said.
24.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is interesting from a first time poster. I''ve found that leon''s work WITHOUT stones is usually very well priced. Around 2750-3000 in platinum right now as the price of metals has soared.

kokolee804

Rough_Rock
Yes. I went based on the positive reviews on the forum. Maybe he was just exaggerating the prices only to me. Whatever it was, his attitude was a horrible nightmare. I wouldn''t wish on it to anyone!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 12:37:52 PM
Author: Gypsy
This is interesting from a first time poster. I''ve found that leon''s work WITHOUT stones is usually very well priced. Around 2750-3000 in platinum right now as the price of metals has soared.

I even think that for the really simple settings he''s coming in around $1500. I think that''s very reasonable and about what BostonJeff paid for his new solitaire.

But he is an artiste and I have heard of people not clicking with him. Too bad.

What pieces did you see kokolee that you thought were poor quality? I have heard the arrogant comment before, but NEVER a question about the quality of his work...

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. I had a long phone talk with Leon and found him very charming. He gave me an estimate for creating a 3 stone ring that was extremely reasonable and lower than my local vendors.

Maybe he had a bad day when you met him?

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
That is too bad. I found Leon very nice and helpful. I was looking to buy a stone and setting from him and he was quick to answer my questions.

If he didn''t click with you then you are fortunate that there are many other vendors (who make custom settings) on this site. You should give them a call.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, although I decided he and I weren't a match for my ering, I'd let him do a solitaire or 3 stone for me in a NY minute. I thought he could be nice, but he was also rude to me on a couple of points, though I stood up to his comments and explained why I didn't agree with him. Is he opinionated? Sure. But he delivers in his craftsmanship.

As for the comment that his designs aren't as good as HW, Cartier, Tiffany, etc? I dont think I've seen one ring LM has done that isn't of the best, most precise quality and execution. I might not have clicked with him this time, but I know quality and precision when I see it and his designs are heads and tails above those you mentioned, IMO...But hey, to each his own, right? That's what makes the world go round
28.gif

ETA: I thought his prices for a simple prong set solitaire ($1200) was very reasonable given the final product quality...but if I was him, I'd hike my prices way high if I didn't want to take a job...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will say that I believe that when Leon doesn't want to do a project he mioght hike his prices. I DID get a 6000 qoute from him for the baguette halo I was considering. But it's because of the custom cut diamonds and the matching into a frame that he qouted that high. And he really did not want to do it.

Everything else I've asked for as been in the 2500-3000 range.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you give some examples of his arrogant attitude or what type of settings the high quotes were for? Thanks.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
There was another poster that had a bad experience with Leon too. I think the whole thing is ''''artistic temperment'''' maybe you said something that he found to be offensive. I haven''t the slightest clue what he charges for simple platinum style, but my setting was 4500$ and that was BEFORE the hike in platinum price. I think it was expensive, but not a ridiculous price.

I think it''s a matter of ''''clicking'''' with him. But I definitely don''t think you should work with someone who you don''t feel you get along with.

I didn''t have any issues with his attitude, he was very nice, but I was very willing to say to him ''''I trust your design 100%,'''' so I think he responded well to that. I''ve heard of him more difficult if the customer and his design sense differ.

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
I literally just got back from his office where I picked up my very reasonably priced three stone ring, and everyone there was so nice-including Leon. I would abosolutely do busines with him again. His work is outstanding, and I adore my new ring.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience.

widget

Ideal_Rock

Obviously, different people have had different impressions of Leon Mege, and perhaps he isn''t for everybody. But I suspect the vast majority have found him a delight to work with, and of course, his product speaks for itself.

I do not think his prices are unreasonable, given the quality of the work, and to suggest that a better "deal" can be had at HW is IMO nonsense.

Hmmm...I have trouble with a first time poster who''s so upset that he/she takes the trouble to register and logon, for the sole purpose of blasting a vendor.

I can''t help but wonder if there is another side to this story that we''ll never hear about.

widget

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
To agree with what folks are saying, LM pricing seems quite reasonable to me. A friend has the basic $1200-1500 solitaire, and the no-pave three-stone designs I've asked about were low $2000. Very reasonable. The pave pieces are more but given that they're hand fabricated with the time it takes to do this, again reasonable for what you're getting.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never met him in person, but worked with him over the phone. He was patient, kind and helpful.

kokolee804

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the posts. Maybe he was having a bad day! But there is no "other side" to the post. I just thought that people should be aware of what my experience was. The price quote he gave me was very high, even for three stone solitare designs. Maybe he just thought I was innocent? I am not sure!!!

In any case, as long as others have good experience with him , I guess it''s OK!!!

But I can''t see myself working with him. Customer service is such an integral part of the business and I really literally came out of his office almost in tears...

He kept on saying how he was the best in business, such a great artist, everyone else really offers nothing in comparison, and saying mean things like - if you don''t want my design, go somewhere else. But I am by no means an impolite person. So I don''t know why he was so hostile with me! I just asked standard questions like turnaround time, price quotes on various designs, whether he is insured (and he is NOT fully insured! yikes)....

So anyways... Just my thoughts...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing your experience. It''s good to hear from ''both sides of the coin.''

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
kokolee, first, welcome to PS. I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I have never met him but he''s always been polite to me too on the phone. I did question an eternity band and he told me based on what I wanted I was better off purchasing something already made. I appreciated his honestly rather than trying to get me to buy something from him that might not work right.

what exactly were you wanting made and what was his quote? I''m curious because I too have always found his quotes reasonable when compared to other big name designers out there.

I''m also interested in what was lacking in quality. I''ve seen his work in person and compared it directly to beaudry and michael b, had them all in my hands at the same time and his pave was equal and beaudry and MB are two of the best when it comes to pave being done right.

Anyway, one thing great about PS is being able to share the good and bad. So sorry it was bad for you and I hope you can find the right match to make your dream ring. Mark T is local for you too, you might try meeting with him??? He gets rave reviews here as well.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Like my goldsmith tells me.

"If you think its so easy then you do it"!

I agree and walk away. :)

There could be other things going on that is driving his costs. One he lives in NY :)

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I would like to post my experience with Leon.

I have found him patient as I have enquired over the years about various rings without ever going ahead. I now have my stone with him. It''s 2ct. I know it''s not small but it''s not large like the ones on his site either and he said that the stones on his site do not represent the majority of his work. He actually called my stone ''large'' to me.

Now I do absolutely believe people''s experience''s because who am I to say you''re wrong? This is just my experience.

Lastly regarding his reported snobbery about stone size, did you know that he will set sims for goodnes sake? I enquired about that two years ago before I had the means to buy real diamonds. He currently still has that option on his quote request form. So how snobby could he be?

IMHO

a

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 12:35:56 PM
Author:kokolee804
I just wanted to warn people re. Leon Mege and wanted to offer some humble advice.

I think he's built a reputation as a good stone setter in NYC. I went to his office and walked out in absolute horror.

Sure his designs are better than mom and pop stores but it is no way near any of the major chains like Harry Winston, Tiffany etc...

But he was charging 4K-5K (just labor NOT including cost of diamonds) for even the simpler designs.

And the worst part is that HE WAS SO ARROGANT. I have never seen anyone with so much attitude problem in my life. He was making such rude remarks it was ridiculous and very upsetting.

I would advise everyone to think twice before going to him. For extra 4K-5K plus I would rather upgrade my stone. I think even if you go to Harrry Winston, you will end up getting a better deal if you factor in his cost.

Sorry for such negative comment but I felt that it needed to be said.
24.gif
What time were you there?
He quoted me way less for a micropave double shank setting, btw.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
He was great when he did his own work not he is just another manufacturer.
No thanks i''m not paying that kind of money for assembly line workmanship.
He is trying to rake in the $$ based on his past reputation and there are a bunch of unhappy consumers with his current production.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 4:09:18 PM
Author: strmrdr
No thanks i''m not paying that kind of money for assembly line workmanship.
He is trying to rake in the $$ based on his past reputation and there are a bunch of unhappy consumers with his current production.
Could you please link to such resent posts, all i saw lately was happy-customers-will-do-it again threads?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 2:37:55 PM
Author: widget

Obviously, different people have had different impressions of Leon Mege, and perhaps he isn''t for everybody. But I suspect the vast majority have found him a delight to work with, and of course, his product speaks for itself.

I do not think his prices are unreasonable, given the quality of the work, and to suggest that a better ''deal'' can be had at HW is IMO nonsense.

Hmmm...I have trouble with a first time poster who''s so upset that he/she takes the trouble to register and logon, for the sole purpose of blasting a vendor.

I can''t help but wonder if there is another side to this story that we''ll never hear about.

widget

Yes, there is. Sorry, but I do not feel at liberty to reveal it.
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would guess...and this is just a guess but others have alluded to it...that when he doesn''t want to do a project, for whatever reason, he charges an "annoyance" tax of sorts.

Like how caterers and florists claim they charge more for weddings because the brides and their mothers are a PITA to deal with?

Could be that Leon weeds people out that way to avoid being outright rude and telling people he doesn''t want to do the project?
34.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/25/2007 2:37:55 PM
Author: widget

I do not think his prices are unreasonable, given the quality of the work, and to suggest that a better ''deal'' can be had at HW is IMO nonsense.

widget

There is always another side to the coin....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone can look at the magnified images of Starry''s split-shank asscher ring that Leon just finished and say it is not equal or better quality than Tiffany, etc., I think you need your eyes examined! That ring is beyond exquisite and I remember Starry''s initial estimated being around $5000 including all the diamonds. Pokey''s split shank pave ring was also around $5000. All the plain rings without pave that I have heard prices on were around $2000 or less.

Guys like Leon have the luxury of choosing who their customers are. They don''t have to work with a customer they might feel is going to not work well with them.

LMAsscherSplitSide2.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 4:28:59 PM
Author: Pricescope

Date: 5/25/2007 4:09:18 PM
Author: strmrdr
No thanks i'm not paying that kind of money for assembly line workmanship.
Could you please link to such resent posts, all i saw lately was happy-customers-will-do-it again threads?

lost stones and trashed trying to fix it
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-ring-problems.34138/

$4500 to fix his employees mess up...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-fixed-sort-of.34984/

stood up:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-experience-with-leon-mege.37072/

there is more out there these are just the ones I remembered right off.

When he is doing the work I had no issues with his prices and his quality was up there but he is now a manufacturer not an artisan and hasn't brought his prices in line with semi-mass production.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
strm, those posts are a year and a half old!

I think Leon''s work (from what I see here...never seen one IRL) is art. Everything just seems so proportioned. Sorry you had this experience...maybe he''s nicer to the ones who don''t ask too many questions, who knows. It''s good that you know that he''s not the one to do your ring and you can find someone else who will make it a happy experience for you.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i have admired the lm creations that have been posted here. but i do have to agree with strmrdr. i have never forgotten the long saga alleycat posted about the problems she had with her ring.

i would not consider getting into a project with any designer after reading a similar post. i would just be afraid if the outcome was not what i expected i would have no one to blame but myself.

i do think he has and will continue to do beautiful work but it is not without problems just like other designers and vendors.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2007 9:41:33 PM
Author: crown1
i have admired the lm creations that have been posted here. but i do have to agree with strmrdr. i have never forgotten the long saga alleycat posted about the problems she had with her ring.
i would not consider getting into a project with any designer after reading a similar post. i would just be afraid if the outcome was not what i expected i would have no one to blame but myself.
i do think he has and will continue to do beautiful work but it is not without problems just like other designers and vendors.
Yes crown1, Alleycat had huge problems. That was a concern of mine when I was trying to decide between LM and WF for setting my asscher. As DS so kindly posted, I think my ring came out very well, so I feel fortunate.
1.gif

I''m sorry you didn''t click with LM, kokolee. I''m glad you realized it up-front though and aren''t forging ahead with a strained relationship. WF set my pear diamond into a necklace and did a great job, so maybe you would consider using them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results