shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Melee on a setting and setting questions

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
This forum is great.

I am deciding weather to go with Brian Gavin custom setting vs Eternity by Yoni. BG being way more expensive than Yoni. Please see my situation/questions below. :)

http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Harry-Winston-Inspired-Halo-Ring-520.htm

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/sarah-halo-platinum-5493p#more

The BG diamond is only an example I would create a custom cushion setting with round diamond.

1. What is the benefit of having platinum vs white gold? Which do you prefer?

2. I like the idea of a light ring is 1.8mm delicate and thin, but is 1.8mm too thin? what would be the ideal size of the ring? (Yoni)

3. I hear Yoni melee is .5ct and Gavin melee is .8ct. is that a big difference in the amount of diamonds? Does the melee make a big impact to the setting. The more melee the better?

4. Would you see a difference in using BG signature diamonds vs the diamonds Yoni has? I just want to understand the difference and if the cost is worth it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Platinum is the best metal for pave. Period.
2. 2mm is what we recommend as a minimum for shanks that are CAST. Both Yoni and BGD are CAST. I highly recommend you not go thinner than this as the ring can warp.
3. Definitely not the more melee the better. It's only better if you want more melee. It's a personal choice. BGD can make it with smaller diamonds for you custom. Or with fewer diamonds.
4. BGD uses the best melee possible, yes it makes a difference. A huge difference. I have no idea what Yoni uses as i have never worked with him. If he uses great quality melee that is well cut then you are fine though.

There are many other vendors out there. I personally would get a quote from ERD. I like to do three quotes when I am considering a custom project.

You need pictures of REAL LIFE rings from Yoni. You need something more than the CAD images.

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1397713394|3654856 said:
1. Platinum is the best metal for pave. Period.
2. 2mm is what we recommend as a minimum for shanks that are CAST. Both Yoni and BGD are CAST. I highly recommend you not go thinner than this as the ring can warp.
3. Definitely not the more melee the better. It's only better if you want more melee. It's a personal choice. BGD can make it with smaller diamonds for you custom. Or with fewer diamonds.
4. BGD uses the best melee possible, yes it makes a difference. A huge difference. I have no idea what Yoni uses as i have never worked with him. If he uses great quality melee that is well cut then you are fine though.

There are many other vendors out there. I personally would get a quote from ERD. I like to do three quotes when I am considering a custom project.

You need pictures of REAL LIFE rings from Yoni. You need something more than the CAD images.

Gypsy, I appreciate your help.

1. Can you please elaborate why Platinum is the best for metal pave?
2. Thanks for letting me know of the 2mm minimum. I wonder why Yoni says 1.8mm
3. Make sense, personal opinion.
4. Good to know. I want to use the best melee possible. I am spending a lot of money on the center diamond I want the setting to be just as bright.

I will look into getting 3 quotes like you mentioned. I already emailed Yoni for real life pictures! Please pour more knowledge on me! you have been helpful.

Let me know anything else I should know :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MollyMalone|1397715034|3654862 said:

Thanks Molly! None of them are really close ups of the pave. That's what I was hoping for. But they are encouraging.

Nimmy:
1. Platinum is strong but pliable. Gold is harder, but not stronger. It's properties make it the best metal for delicate but strong settings. Pave swiss cheeses the metal, weakens it, so you want strength.
2. Thin shanks are very popular right now. A lot of people are doing 1.8 and thinner pave shanks. Personally 2mm is thin, but strong. My own pave band is 2mm and I wouldn't go thinner unless it was handforged fabrication, which neither of the vendors you are using are going to be using.
3. Just ask Yoni about the melee quality. He'll tell you.

As for anything else you should know... there are a lot of knowledge out there. Read this, pay attention to the parts about the setting (since you aren't buying a cushion skip that part): [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/[/URL]

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1397716687|3654868 said:

You're welcome :)) I've been scrolling through some threads re Engagement Rings Direct & saw this feedback re Yoni from Laila619:
Laila619|1357790610|3351881 said:
Hi,
I used to have a pave halo setting from [Yoni]. By 'decent' I mean it's well done and it looks nice. It's not on the level of like Leon Mege or Victor Canera who are $$$, but it's perfectly adequate and pretty. I thought for the money, the quality was good. I am kind of frugal when it comes to settings (I've been through SO many), so even though I can afford it, I did not want to go with a more pricey setting, and that is why I chose Eternity. The average person probably wouldn't even see a difference between ERD, Eternity, VC, etc. Only us PSers with eagle eyes would maybe notice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results