shape
carat
color
clarity

What's for dinner?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been on a cooking kick and have had some fun cooking in the last few days, but could use ideas... so what are you making tonight or this week?

We had a lovely pot roast last night. And tonight I'm making Manhattan Clam Chowder (it's almost ready to serve now and the smell is just heaven). I've got some Bacon for some BLT's latter this week. And some ground turkey and a head of cabbage for unstuffed cabbage later this week as well.

What on the menu folks?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I'm looking at casseroles for the next couple weeks! I think I'll peruse the thread to see what I'm missing.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
sushi... mmmmmmm

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lat night we had grilled sword fish. I marinate it with 1 cup OJ, two tablespoons of Organic Ketchup and a few dashes of soy sauce.

I served it with corn on the cob and steamed asparagus with lemon juice.

Tonight we cheated, and ordered pizza...

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Tomato Soup and Ritz Crackers - I've been on a tomato kick lately

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jicama and pear salad.

I didn't know "jicama" existed a week ago... but goodness, those things are good!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tonight we had chicken cacciatore. I just made my shopping list for tomorrow...so here is what's scheduled for this week:

tacos
cesar salad with chicken on top
tilapia with cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives and parsley (yum)
Breakfast casserole (eggs, sausage, croutons, cheese, mushroom soup all baked together)
lasagna (frozen) - for 1 night when I dont feel like cooking
BBQ chicken sandwiches with cole slaw and sweet potatoe fries

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BBQing N.Y steaks.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I made a really yummy lasagna this weekend, it had turkey, sausage, and 4 cheeses....it's going to last us a while. But, tonight we're taking a break, and having Korean Bibimbap (it's a rice dish with various veggies, Korean BBQ beef, and an egg sunny side up, you mix this with a hot sauce).

bibimbap.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love these threads!

I made shrimp scampi tonight. Butter, garlic, shrimp, white wine, pepper, mixed with linguine and parsley, and then topped with chopped fresh tomatoes that sat it EVOO with some salt and pepper in the fridge for a while. Mmmm!

I've been on a light pasta kick for Monday nights all summer. Last Monday I made angel hair with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, EVOO, and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. The light pasta has definitely replaced the rice and beans we've been eating on Mondays.

ETA: Jaysonsmom--That looks DELICIOUS!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Jason's mom, is that from a restaurant or did you make that? It looks fabulous! Some great ideas. I'm thinking TACOS. And caesar's salad with costco chicken are going on my list. Num!

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
jaysonsmom said:
I made a really yummy lasagna this weekend, it had turkey, sausage, and 4 cheeses....it's going to last us a while. But, tonight we're taking a break, and having Korean Bibimbap (it's a rice dish with various veggies, Korean BBQ beef, and an egg sunny side up, you mix this with a hot sauce).

Ah I love Korean food (my soon-to-be fiance is Korean)! Here is my Korean dinner: Soon Dubu (soft tofu stew) and Mandu (Korean dumplings). These dishes are admittedly not from dinner tonite:razz: But they are from past dinners! I make Korean food often - it is yummy and soondubu is very healthy for you!!

SoonDubu.jpgMandu.jpg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
Wow Jason's mom, is that from a restaurant or did you make that? It looks fabulous! Some great ideas. I'm thinking TACOS. And caesar's salad with costco chicken are going on my list. Num!

I didn't make the bibimbap that I posted the picture of, but mine looked just like it. That is one of the healthier Korean dishes that my kids love, and they get plenty of veggies, so I make it a lot. It's really not that hard because a lot of Korean markets sell pre-packed shredded veggies, all I need to do it grill the meat, make some steam rice, an make an egg sunny side up, and assemble!

Rhubarbpie: I'm not Korean either, but my husband is,so I make a lot of Korean food. My kids love soontobu too! They do have Korean genes for sure, both started eating spicy foods at around 4 years old.

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
jaysonsmom said:
Gypsy said:

I didn't make the bibimbap that I posted the picture of, but mine looked just like it. That is one of the healthier Korean dishes that my kids love, and they get plenty of veggies, so I make it a lot. It's really not that hard because a lot of Korean markets sell pre-packed shredded veggies, all I need to do it grill the meat, make some steam rice, an make an egg sunny side up, and assemble!

Rhubarbpie: I'm not Korean either, but my husband is,so I make a lot of Korean food. My kids love soontobu too! They do have Korean genes for sure, both started eating spicy foods at around 4 years old.

Hey thats cool! Where did you guys meet? My bf and I met in college. Have you been to Korea? I went 2 summers ago to meet my future in-laws - it was amazing, I can't wait to go back!!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
RhubarbPie said:
Hey thats cool! Where did you guys meet? My bf and I met in college. Have you been to Korea? I went 2 summers ago to meet my future in-laws - it was amazing, I can't wait to go back!!

We met at our first post college jobs, but no, I've never been to Korea, and dh is pretty Americanized, he came when he was 4, and barely speaks Korean...in fact, he has never been back neither.

I grew up all over the world, so the menu at our house is pretty diverse. I love pastas, so we eat different "pasta/noodle" dishes from every part of the world, my kids love pastas too. On any given night I'd make:

Spaghetti Carbonara,
Pesto Chicken pasta
udon soup
Jajiang mien
Chow mein
Pad Thai
Pho
Thai Noodles with peanut sauce

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
Tonight we had turkey + bacon sandwiches. Tomorrow might be tacos just because it's easy, or maybe chicken nuggets. Then I'm not sure about Wednesday, after that we're going on a trip through Sunday.
I found a recipe for lasagna with zucchini and it looked so good! I can't wait to try it.
It sounds like you all have a lot more energy than me after work! Your dinners sound so good.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've decided on fish tacos for later this week. Trying to sneak fish into my DH's food is difficult. And Since I have clams left over from the chowder (now frozen) I think we'll do a linguine and red clam sauce next week.

Great ideas guys. I'm going to have to hit the local korean restaurant soon!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I've been trying new summer recipes and last night's meal was a success! I forget the name of the recipe, but when D asked me what was for dinner I told him it was a Bayou Boil. And it was yummilicious. The actual recipe is on epicurious.

I filled just over half of a 6-quart pot with water. Quartered a lemon and threw it in, added about 5 - 6 T. of cajun seasoning, a couple of t. of cayenne pepper, 4 cloves of garlic, a couple of bay leaves and a bag of small red potatoes (maybe 20?). I let it boil until the potatoes started to soften, then threw in some corn on the cob (I cut them in half) and let that boil for another 4 - 5 minutes. Finally I threw in 1.5 lbs. of raw, shelled shrimp and just let it boil another minute or two until the shrimp had just cooked through. Then I drained the pot, threw it all in a bowl and said "dinner is served!". The only thing dinner was missing was som Zydeco music in the background.

What I loved about this recipe was:
1.) From beginning to end it took less than half of an hour. This is ideal for me.
2.) I didn't have to chop a single thing! The most I had to do was peel a few cloves of garlic! Easy peasy!
3.) I'm a big fan of 1-pot meals. There was virtually nothing ot clean up after dinner--just stick the pot in the dishwasher. This is also why I love casseroles in the winter.
4.) I didn't have to turn on the oven! This is essential for me on hot days!

I'm looking forward to leftovers for lunch!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I've been doing grilled shirmp tacos on corn tortillas quite a bit. Super easy and healthy. I top with fresh salsa, chopped onion and cilantro and occassionally some crumbled queso fresco.

I've also been eating blackened tilapia with mango salsa (chopped mango, cilantro, red onion, jalepeno, salt). Super easy as well and healthy.

I don't like to bake things in the oven in the summer unless absolutely necessary. It makes the house too hot. I do everything I can on the grill or the stove top.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Tonight we had seared tasmanian salmon on cauliflower puree (a good substitute for mash potato if you don't want the carbs) and sweet potato chips.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thurs: turkey meatballs with pasta
Friday: BBQ whole chicken with apricot glaze
Sat: French toast; turkey meatball sandwiches
Sun: homemade pizza (sauce and crust from scratch)
Mon: nachos (homemade salsa, white cheddar, extra sharp cheddar, black beans, jalepenos)
Tues: ??? maybe chicken breasts on BBQ with evoo & garlic, served with salad

ETA: breakfast is fresh fruit (or fresh fruit smoothie), lunch is fresh fruit/cheese/veggies, dinners served with salad & other veggies

les12

Shiny_Rock
I'm making crawfish etouffee... mmmmmm I can't wait to eat! :lickout:

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
This past weekend I made (Saturday) pork chops in sofrito with rice and (Sunday) lasagna. Today I made blackened tilapia with rice and steamed broccoli.

It all came out very yummy :bigsmile:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm sitting here drooling on my keyboard, especially the seafood dishes. My husband and kids don't like shrimp or fish, so I rarely make it, but fish tacos are totally calling my name....

This is a GREAT thread. I'm always sticking my nose in what people are eating!

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
So many great cooks here :appl: Thanks for the pics!

I made a 4 lb Loin Char Siu from scratch, served with yummy noodles in mushroom sauce... have plans to freeze left overs for fried rice, etc. :lickout:
ETA L O V E Dumplings!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a fat kid, so the dinner threads are always my favorites, but they never stick for too long. I don't get it--they're always hugely popular for a bit, then fizzle out. If you're not going to invite me over for dinner, you can at least taunt me with it, people, sheesh! :bigsmile: Anywho, tonight we had grilled NY strip steak with grilled corn and spinach...oh, and a silly large bottle of pinot noir, which explains why I presently look like :wacko: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday we had a salad with roasted potatoes and vegan cupcakes and tonight is an egg sandwich on rosemary ciabatta. Tomorrow night we'll probably have stuffed peppers.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I'm currently enjoying veggie quesadillas. Take a tortilla wrap and brush with a thin coat of butter. Flip, add mexican cheese, chopped broccoli, tomato and sprinkle a bit of pepper. Fold over and broil on low heat both sides until they are crispy crunchy. Slice with a pizza cutter and enjoy. I know I am!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
One pot rice and veggies. My rice cooker is one of my BFF's.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results