shape
carat
color
clarity

Racist post on online vendor's FB page really bothers me

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I have a FB page, and while I'm not a part of the PS FB group, I am "friends" with several online vendors and gemstone cutters, and a few PSers and former PSers. This morning, one of the online vendors -- who is very well known and well respected on PS -- "liked" a photo put out by a conservative group. The photo had what I consider to be a very racist caption. I must admit, my first thought was, I'm never buying a thing from this vendor. My second thought was, how stupid of this vendor to put this kind of stuff out there in the public realm. If you're going to post this kind of stuff, at least adjust your privacy settings so you're not broadcasting it to the world.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I would need to know what it said to have a real opinion. I reposted something once on FB and one of my friends went off on me about how racist it was. I didn't think it was at all.

Having said that, I don't think it's smart business for a vendor to comment/like things like that on their business page.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Lula|1372855554|3476520 said:
I have a FB page, and while I'm not a part of the PS FB group, I am "friends" with several online vendors and gemstone cutters, and a few PSers and former PSers. This morning, one of the online vendors -- who is very well known and well respected on PS -- "liked" a photo put out by a conservative group. The photo had what I consider to be a very racist caption. I must admit, my first thought was, I'm never buying a thing from this vendor. My second thought was, how stupid of this vendor to put this kind of stuff out there in the public realm. If you're going to post this kind of stuff, at least adjust your privacy settings so you're not broadcasting it to the world.

I don't particularly want to know the vendor, but I would have to know exactly what the picture and caption was to form an opinion on whether or not it was racist.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Here's the photo. It was reposted from the Conservative News FB page. Here's the link to the Conservative News website, which contains all sorts of racist, anti-woman, anti-gay "news" articles.
http://www.isthatbaloney.com
And, by the way, I'm not really concerned with others' views about whether or not this photo is racist. I think it is and it offends me, and I am surprised that any vendor would risk posting something on a public page that could be construed as racist by at least some of his/her customers.

1045017_217725978378555_386131484_n.jpg

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
You're entitled to your right to feel offended. I don't find that photo to be racist though. Politically I don't agree with that message because I'm on the other side of the fence, but I can just as easily imagine liberals posting a similar picture 8 years ago with Bush. Is it just because Obama is black that you find it racist? Because he can't help being black, and any criticism of him isn't necessarily against his race (though I HAVE seen racist comments against him).

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I don't see that as racist at all.

ETA- I just read the rest of your post where you don't care if others find it racist. But honestly I see nothing racist. I'd be interested in hearing why you think it's racist. Your complaint would make more sense to me if you said someone posted something political that you didn't agree with.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I agree, I don't find this particularly racist. It points out an opinion of the media. Nothing more.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I don't know that I find it racist (but that doesn't matter, as you said- it offended you) but it is wildly inaccurate, no surprise. "One" word, 27 years ago. :lol:

Is it the vendor's personal or business page? A vendor was called out for this before on the FB group and it didn't seem to have much of an impact, but it was regarding his/her personal page. If someone knows they risk alienating clients but continue to do it anyway, it can only hurt him or her. And that's his/her choice.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dislike the photo for another reason.

I am a former Marine and during my eight years of service I served under three Commanders-In-Chief. (The end of the Johnson years, The Nixon Years and the first month or two of The Ford administration.

As a Marine I served, and respected the office of Commander-In-Chief. Whether or not I liked or respected the individual in command, I served under the office and was darn well expected to respect the office.

I am sick to death of the blatant disrespect by both sides of whom ever is in office if he is of a different party than the disrespecters. I agree fully with the obligation of the parties to try to elect their own, but to attempt to do it by creating strife and preventing cooperation between the parties for to the detriment of our very standard of living is reprehensible and little short of treasonous in my opinion.

I love my country and have lived in many places in the world during my service, including Vietnam, Okinawa (both before and after we returned it to Japan), Brasil and several states in the US (Hawaii, California and DC). Always, no matter how much I liked the various countries I was in (Yes, there were good feelings about the beauty of Vietnam, even though my overall impressions were of strife and discord) I was ALWAYS a sense of coming home when I returned to the States.

I am disgusted however, with what politicians of both parties have become. I fear for the permanent damage to civility and cooperation that they appear to be creating as a way of staying in power.

This is what I dislike about pictures such as the one you posted. It is disrespectful to the office of the President, regardless of what you think of the man. It is designed to hurt the very fabric of our society in the interest of a political goal. It is dishonorable and it is disgusting.

Wink

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well said, Wink.

And for the record, I don't think that posting is racist. To me it falls into the category of political vitriol, which may not be the wises thing for a tradeperson to post when sharing with potential customers.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I consider it racist because much of the "humor" depends on a person knowing that the word Paula Deen used is often used by certain groups to denigrate the president. So, while on its face the joke appears to be about the "liberal media" :rolleyes: the subtext of these jokes is racist, in my view.

This has nothing to do with George Bush and how he was treated by some of us on the other side. I'm not a fan of perpetuating insults and slurs toward any politician, regardless of position and party. That's another reason I find this offensive -- it perpetuates the "us versus them" thinking that has gotten us exactly nowhere over the past decade.

This is a public FB page for a vendor. I have no idea if this vendor has other FB pages. But what I do know is that even if it is a personal page, his/her privacy settings should be adjusted so content like this is not broadcast to people who may be offended by it. Vendors are public figures on this forum and should realize that they can't freely share stuff that may be seen by potential customers who may be offended by it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
We were posting at the same time, Wink. Thank you for your post. Well said. It is indeed the disrespect that bothers me the most, and which I perceive to have racist overtones.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find this to be more a political item than a race item.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Lula|1372861396|3476586 said:
I consider it racist because much of the "humor" depends on a person knowing that the word Paula Deen used is often used by certain groups to denigrate the president. So, while on its face the joke appears to be about the "liberal media" :rolleyes: the subtext of these jokes is racist, in my view.
Lula|1372861396|3476586 said:
I definitely see what you are saying.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd agree that he is the most loved President since FDR.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are so right, Wink: and given that tomorrow is July 4, also very timely.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny how the liberals always yell "racist" when people don't agreed with his policies.Remember,w/o the white votes Obama would have never became the President of the US.I would have betted any amount of money that we would see a woman President before we see a black President in office.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think all vendors should remain silent on anything controversial, politics, abortion, religion, anything! ... regardless of if I like or dislike the 'side' they pick.

Business is about making money, not spreading views.
Spreading views will make some customers go bye bye.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1372861080|3476582 said:
This is what I dislike about pictures such as the one you posted. It is disrespectful to the office of the President, regardless of what you think of the man. It is designed to hurt the very fabric of our society in the interest of a political goal.

I literally had to go back and look at the picture again to be sure that someone hadn't defaced President Obama in some way I had missed. I don't see anything disgusting in this picture other than the racism. I don't mind people criticizing the president. In fact, I seem to be the only dissenting voice here. That scares the heck out of me. The United States is supposed to be a democracy. Since when are we, as a people, unable to question the actions of an elected official? I think that the question has become more, not less, vital in era when a government can spy on the people with greater ease and shoot them down with greater efficiency than ever.

I think that the message in this advertisement is racist. That makes me dislike it. So I'm in agreement with the original poster. I think its message is: "

"Paula Deen said one little thing about a black man and got into big trouble. White people can't criticize black people in the United States. This black man here can get away with anything he wants. That's because we allow black people to have lots and lots more privileges than white people just because they were once slaves."

AGBF
:read:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't see racism in that. I see what it's trying to say but it does it clumsily. Agree or disagree with its point, it isn't about race.

OK, I'm gonna put on my big girl pants & be un-PC enough to state that I am sick & tired of race's being read into anywhere the reader wishes to find it. My head explodes when people talk about "code words" -- in actuality, things that aren't there, aren't meant to be there, which the "offended" person claims are there in order to feel offended.

People are people are people; how is racism supposed to disappear, as we purport to want, if every comment and/or action is seen through its prism?

--- Laurie

Flame suit on.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1372872230|3476704 said:
I don't see racism in that.

I see what it's trying to say but it does it clumsily. Agree or disagree with its point, it isn't about race.

OK, I'm gonna put on my big girl pants & be un-PC enough to state that I am sick & tired of race's being read into anywhere the reader wishes to find it. My head explodes when people talk about "code words" -- in actuality, things that aren't there, aren't meant to be there, which the "offended" person claims are there in order to feel offended.

People are people are people; how is racism supposed to disappear, as we purport to want, if every comment and/or action is seen through its prism?

--- Laurie

Flame suit on.

Laurie-

Can you explain what you mean when you say, "that"?

Deb
:wavey:

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
I don't see racism in that. I see what it's trying to say but it does it clumsily. Agree or disagree with its point, it isn't about race.

--- Laurie

Flame suit on.

I'm going to agree with this.
I thought the photo and caption were silly, but it was political, not racist, in my opinion. These kind of things are all over facebook. I just scroll through things I don't agree with and move on.

I don't understand why vendors keep "friending" customers. A business page with business postings (jewelry, stones, items of jewel interest) makes the most sense to me. They should keep their private FB and opinions private.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1372872126|3476702 said:
Wink|1372861080|3476582 said:
This is what I dislike about pictures such as the one you posted. It is disrespectful to the office of the President, regardless of what you think of the man. It is designed to hurt the very fabric of our society in the interest of a political goal.

I literally had to go back and look at the picture again to be sure that someone hadn't defaced President Obama in some way I had missed. I don't see anything disgusting in this picture other than the racism. I don't mind people criticizing the president. In fact, I seem to be the only dissenting voice here. That scares the heck out of me. The United States is supposed to be a democracy. Since when are we, as a people, unable to question the actions of an elected official? I think that the question has become more, not less, vital in era when a government can spy on the people with greater ease and shoot them down with greater efficiency than ever.

I think that the message in this advertisement is racist. That makes me dislike it. So I'm in agreement with the original poster. I think its message is: "

"Paula Deen said one little thing about a black man and got into big trouble. White people can't criticize black people in the United States. This black man here can get away with anything he wants. That's because we allow black people to have lots and lots more privileges than white people just because they were once slaves."

AGBF

I have no problem with criticism. But I see a difference between constructive criticism and allegations of malfeasance just because we have differing points of view. The conversation tones today are rarely civil and that is what disgusts me. Since those who dislike the presidents policies on many things can not intelligently discuss them they decide to claim that he is destroying the country.

If someone wants to discuss his policies on Gays, fine. Criticize him for those policies, fine. Make him out to be the devil on a mission to destroy our wonderful country because of his policies, not so fine with me. Pick an issue, discuss it and be civil, all good. Try to destroy the man over a disagreement, not so good.

Is it any wonder that so many potentially great people will not stand up to run for office?

Wink

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a Chinese immigrant of the 60's I have never felt racism towards me nor my family, maybe b/c we have lived in Ca. all this time and could have been different had we lived in the southern states?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

--- Laurie

Flame suit on.

I totally agree Laurie. It's like constantly walking on eggshells because it's so easy to twist words into a different meaning.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1372871863|3476698 said:
I think all vendors should remain silent on anything controversial, politics, abortion, religion, anything! ... regardless of if I like or dislike the 'side' they pick.

Business is about making money, not spreading views.
Spreading views will make some customers go bye bye.

I 100% agree! But it's naive to hope that companies would stay neutral on those issues.

The last company DH worked for was great and lined up with a lot of our beliefs in terms of not discriminating against anyone LGBT, women, different races, etc. But one thing they did was openly support certain political candidates in our area. They had fundraisers at the office after hours, political emails were sent, etc. DH and I actually did support these candidates but we disagreed with it being at DH's work. It's crossing a line and made employees with different political beliefs very uncomfortable. The company should have stayed out of anything political and the upper management should have supported those politicians privately.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1372873553|3476721 said:
As a Chinese immigrant of the 60's I have never felt racism towards me nor my family, maybe b/c we have lived in Ca. all this time and could have been different had we lived in the southern states?

DF, the area that you live in (Sacramento area, if I remember right), is VERY culturally diverse compared to a large portion of the United States. I'm sure that plays a big part in your family not feeling any racism. My daughters are half Chinese and we live in the SF Bay Area, but used to live in Sacramento. It's comforting to me that they are being brought up in such a culturally accepting area.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1372873521|3476720 said:
I have no problem with criticism. But I see a difference between constructive criticism and allegations of malfeasance just because we have differing points of view. The conversation tones today are rarely civil and that is what disgusts me. Since those who dislike the presidents policies on many things can not intelligently discuss them they decide to claim that he is destroying the country.

If someone wants to discuss his policies on Gays, fine. Criticize him for those policies, fine. Make him out to be the devil on a mission to destroy our wonderful country because of his policies, not so fine with me. Pick an issue, discuss it and be civil, all good. Try to destroy the man over a disagreement, not so good.

Is it any wonder that so many potentially great people will not stand up to run for office?

I would really not have a problem with having an intelligent discussion with someone who wished to have one and who was capable of having one, Wink. I wouldn't turn it down. I do not, however, think that intelligence or civility are prerequisites for free speech. I believe that burning the American flag should be, as it is, considered protected free speech.

And if people refuse to run for office because other citizens fail to conform to their standards, then it may not be "a wonder", but it is a shame. It is lucky that there will always be some good men and women who will heed their consciences and serve the public not because the public deserves it, but because they feel honor bound to do so.

Deb/AGBF

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results