shape
carat
color
clarity

My parents house burnt down last night

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Last night around 5pm I found out that my parents house was burning down. They were on vacation in OC and they had a family friend staying with them. He was working and came home and saw smoke coming out of the second story windows. He opened the door and called for my parents two yorkie dogs and then the ceiling fell in. He shut the door out of instict and ran. It is completely gone as far as possesions and there is no house to live in. They rented and failed to get renters insurance so now they have nothing and no insurance to help them. Both of the dogs died from smoke inhalation. That is what is really upsetting everyone.

The fire marshall said that it started from a utility cord in the upstairs bedroom. I was there til 11:30 last night trying to get whatever we could and then we went back this morning. For those of you who live in the northeast you know that it has been crazy hot with no rain and then of course today when we went to try and salvage it poured all day.

We are very thankful that no one was home when it happened and somehow we were able to get all things of value. Nothing material of course, but there were some very sentimental things there that we got. Miraculously we got every picture, but 2 or 3. My grandfathers wedding ring, and some handmade family quilts. The redcross came last night and gave us this special laundry detergent so my aunt and I are going to go to the laudromat and wash all the blankets and the little bit of clothes.

The worst part besides the dog is that my little sister who is 15 lost everything. Her room is not even there anymore and we were not able to recover anything of hers. I feel so bad for her. It started in her room so it had the most time to burn. I cant imagine how she is going to feel when she comes home tomorrow and we were able to get so much, but nothing that belonged to her.

These are the pictures I took with my phone. I didnt spend too much time taking pictures, I just went after their stuff.

mcphouse1.jpg

mcphouse2.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
radiantquest said:
Last night around 5pm I found out that my parents house was burning down. They were on vacation in OC and they had a family friend staying with them. He was working and came home and saw smoke coming out of the second story windows. He opened the door and called for my parents two yorkie dogs and then the ceiling fell in. He shut the door out of instict and ran. It is completely gone as far as possesions and there is no house to live in. They rented and failed to get renters insurance so now they have nothing and no insurance to help them. Both of the dogs died from smoke inhalation. That is what is really upsetting everyone.

The fire marshall said that it started from a utility cord in the upstairs bedroom. I was there til 11:30 last night trying to get whatever we could and then we went back this morning. For those of you who live in the northeast you know that it has been crazy hot with no rain and then of course today when we went to try and salvage it poured all day.

We are very thankful that no one was home when it happened and somehow we were able to get all things of value. Nothing material of course, but there were some very sentimental things there that we got. Miraculously we got every picture, but 2 or 3. My grandfathers wedding ring, and some handmade family quilts. The redcross came last night and gave us this special laundry detergent so my aunt and I are going to go to the laudromat and wash all the blankets and the little bit of clothes.

The worst part besides the dog is that my little sister who is 15 lost everything. Her room is not even there anymore and we were not able to recover anything of hers. I feel so bad for her. It started in her room so it had the most time to burn. I cant imagine how she is going to feel when she comes home tomorrow and we were able to get so much, but nothing that belonged to her.

These are the pictures I took with my phone. I didnt spend too much time taking pictures, I just went after their stuff.

I can't imagine the loss, and the pain your family must be going through. Can we do something to help? I bet many would pitch in at least to get your little sister some nice things.. Oh huge hugs...

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my. Thank goodness your family is OK, am very sorry to hear about your dogs :((

So sorry for how your sister must be feeling right now too, I wish your family the best.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG! RQ is there anything we can do? I can't even begin to imagine. I'm so so sorry!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much for your concern. My stepdad came home last night. My mom and sister are coming home tomorrow. They are going to stay with my aunt until they can find some place to live. A friend of a friend is giving them a sofa and and loveseat and also a kitchen table and chairs. We are just slowly going to get everything. It really doesnt even sink in until you think about all the little stuff. Like dishes, you take those for granted. And toiletries.

My stepdad was crying hard. He says that he feels so bad that her love letters and all that stuff is gone, but she is only 15 and her life has just begun. It just really sucks for her. At that age your stuff is sooo important to you and its not really replaceable.

I am going to call my prior employer and ask if they would be willing to donate mattresses.

If anyone out there is able to help there isnt anything that they dont need. From sheets to underwear. Luckily they were on vacation so they at least have a weeks change of clothes.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear this.
What a devastating loss.
Hugs to you all.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
radiantquest said:
fb, but thats it.

Has it been figured out if we can PM or not?

No we do not have PMs. We hope everything begins to look up for your parents.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
RQ, SO incredibly sorry to hear this.

Where in the Northeast are you? I'm sure I have some things I can spare.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Southern PA, I work in Baltimore so anywhere around there is feasible. Really anything would be appreciated.

Maybe I can create an email to use for this.

Would I be allowed to post an email addy?

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
radiantquest said:
Southern PA, I work in Baltimore so anywhere around there is feasible. Really anything would be appreciated.

Maybe I can create an email to use for this.

Would I be allowed to post an email addy?

No, I apologize but this is not allowed for everyone's security and protection.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
How terrible! The loss of the pets is a tragedy. However, I can't help but think how fortunate it was that they weren't home at the time (or heaven forbid, asleep). I wish your family the best in recovering and rebuilding.

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
I'm very sorry to hear about the house, the dogs and everything you guys are going through. *HUG*

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have mine Gypsy? I'm on fb too and am friends w/a few from here.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Packrat, It's been my experience that for every PSer that one gets to know at a GTG, that PSers knows at least 5 others. So it's pretty organic and seems to ripple out. :)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Radiant, lots of hugs and healing dust for your family, and especially for your little sister and for the loss of your dogs.

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear this, and I'm so sorry for the loss of your puppies :( When you mentioned that the puppies died I was crying. Ugh. I will keep your family in my thoughts.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry for your loss and for your family's losses.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
Packrat, It's been my experience that for every PSer that one gets to know at a GTG, that PSers knows at least 5 others. So it's pretty organic and seems to ripple out. :)

Not wishing to be disrespectful of the rules or our mods because I think they do a wonderful job for us all. But Gypsy's right. Where there's a will, there's a way. Hang in their RadiantQuest.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Radiant Quest, I'm so sorry to read this! How devastating for your parents and your sister... my thoghts are with them.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my answer got lost. I just wanted to say that the main thing is that your family is alive. Seems like it was an inferno - it is a miracle that they were away and that their friend was working late. The rest of it is very sad, the dogs, of course, but at least your family is together.

**Edited by moderator. While we are very sympathetic to the situation, we need to be consistent with the rules and we do not allow contact information to be posted on the forums for everyone's protection.**

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are working on it RQ. Hang tight. ::)

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
That is so tragic. I am just so grateful the people are safe. I'm heart broken the pups couldn't be saved. I'll be thinking of your family in this difficult time.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
RQ, I am so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to your family.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
RQ~My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am so sorry that this happened to your family. I understand that the loss of the dogs has made this so much worse. If we can help, please let us know.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry to hear this news RQ. :blackeye: hope your parents get back on their feet soon.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so very sorry to hear about this. My heart goes out to them.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man, how awful. You and yours are in my thoughts. If there's anything I can do at all to help, please let me know. I've got several bags of clothes, household items, etc. I was planning on donating to Goodwill that I'd be happy to send you if there's any way for me to figure out how to do so without breaking any PS rules.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results