shape
carat
color
clarity

Knitting

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to take up knitting. Anyone here knit? I learned to knit as a kid. I don't remember it all, but I think it will be like riding a bike. I want to get some needles and yarn. Really looking forward to it.

I'm going to start by making a scarf. Is this is okay for a beginner? This is the yarn I want (I think I need 5 hanks, is that right?) : http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-weight-worsted/webs-knitting-yarns-jil-eaton-minnow-merino/ And the needles I think I'm going to get: http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitters-pride-fixed-circular-knitting-needles/knitters-pride-knitters-pride-cubics-fixed-circular-needles/ size 8 are these a good match and a good quality/style for a beginner? Am I buying the right amount of yarn?

Any assistance appreciated. I'll probably stop by at a local store for a lesson and also use You Tube to help jog my memory.

Edited to fix links.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knit. I'm not very accomplished but I've been knitting for years and just do it as a relaxing winter activity. I just finished a scarf for my neighbor yesterday, in fact.

The circular needles are nice to have, particularly if you ever want to make something wide like a throw/blanket. I usually just use regular needles for scarves, but circulars will work.

I would go to your local yarn store and feel the yarns first, then decide before you go spending $10+ per skein/hank for your first project since you learned as a kid. The owner or whoever is working will be able to guide you as far as exactly how much yarn you need, and they will usually unwind and roll the yarn into a ball for you which is easier than doing it yourself.

Have fun!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy - I think that a scarf is a good first project. I personally hated the fixed needles, but that is personal preference... maybe I am just traditional, lol. Have you looked at the normal loose needles?

I actually gave knitting up because, surprisingly, it turned out to be pretty darn expensive! Especially when you start picking out cool yarns and realize how many skeins you need to make a single project.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I tried to learn a few years ago and now I know why in the movies someone always gets stabbed with a knitting needle, it inspires rage.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Monnie and Bunny,

I am definitely going to do a mini project with some cheap local yarn first, probably this week. Just to get the hang of it. But I do want some really soft pretty yarn as incentive. I work better if I bribe myself. Monnie, is the right amount (5 yanks of that wool) for a scarf?

As for the needles. I originally wanted 14 inch straight needles at size 8. But I read on multiple sites that people with arthritis are recommended to use the circular ones. So I thought I'd just start the learning with those so that I get used to them from the get go.

What I want to do is knit blankets. Eventually. Soft ones made of pure washable wool.

And even though I totally agree that it is an expensive hobby there are two reasons I think its worth it. As my joints get worse, I need to keep them limber and knitting helps with that. And also...I am a person who ALWAYS has to multi-task. Even when I am just watching TV I have to be on PS, or playing a game or something. I can't sit still and do one thing at a time. So this is a good way to to keep my hands busy (and limber) and while it is expensive. It's cheaper than those stupid FB games I've been playing. And better for me. And unlike sewing it's not noisy, doesn't need all my attention, and a lot of space.

Although I am questioning the wisdom of knitting in a household with 6 cats. Which is the second reason I'm going to do a cheap mini project. To see how bad it's going to be with all the cats around.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Packrat, you should totally try it.
Artdeco... um. :lol: that bad, huh?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK so. I decided to take your advice Monnie.

There is apparently a great yarn store 4 blocks from my home-- 50 something great yelp reviews. And they offer a class called knitting 101 where you get some yarn needles and a scarf pattern and do your first project with them. Which is just right.

So I'll start with that. I'll probably go tomorrow right after work.

Very excited. :appl:

I'll also hold off on the expensive yarn buying till after I take the class. :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
gypsy, there are knitting groups that get together weekly just to be social and knit together.
the shop should know the particulars.

me? crochet is what I used to do and I'm thinking of doing it again. I've got a box of yarn I've been carting around for more than 20 years so I should either do it or give it away.

sigh.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, how many hanks you need for a scarf will depend on several factors--how long you want the scarf to be, how wide, and what size needles you're using. Typically, I would use 2 skeins of craft store (JoAnn, etc.) yarn to make myself a pretty long scarf that is 15-20 stitches wide on size 9 or 10 needles. That being said, any time I've used hanks (there are conflicting definitions of hanks vs. skeins but they used to measure hanks by weight) that are loops that are then twisted and tied off from nice yarn stores it's taken 4-5. So your estimate of 5 is probably accurate if you want to make a longer scarf that is at least 6" wide. Sorry for the lengthy answer. It's hard to give you a definite without knowing each detail.

Here's an old knitting thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/crafty-pscopers-knitting.70467/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/crafty-pscopers-knitting.70467/[/URL]

And the big knitting/crocheting website everyone loves is called Ravelry if you want to check that out!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1390526934|3599870 said:
And here is the kind of stuff people knit in my crunchy town:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsvRPwmWRhc

:lol:

That. Was. AWESOME.

I live near Berkeley and I've never seen a tree sweater there, even. SO COOL.

I didn't know we had a knitting thread! I'm going to enjoy going through that.

I'm really excited about the yarn store near me.

I'll hold off on expensive yarn purchases till I get one full project under my belt at least!

Thanks!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, glad you liked it! They actually did look really cool but the installation ran so long I was getting worried about the trees!

If you wanna just run to a Michael's or JoAnn, my favorite quick and easy inexpensive yarn is Lion Brand Wool-Ease. It's a chunky, soft, bulky but lightweight, 80% acrylic, 20% wool. You could just grab 2 skeins with which to practice. I like it because it knits up really quick and is machine-washable.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool beans. Will check that out! I'd love to see pics of your projects if you want to share!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1390526777|3599862 said:
gypsy, there are knitting groups that get together weekly just to be social and knit together.
the shop should know the particulars.

me? crochet is what I used to do and I'm thinking of doing it again. I've got a box of yarn I've been carting around for more than 20 years so I should either do it or give it away.

sigh.

I will ask them when I go there tomorrow.

I've never done crochet, but I'd seen some lovely crochet projects.

Did you have a lot of issues with yarn/knitting and your cats in the past? I am concerned about that.

I don't want anyone swallowing yarn and then getting their intestines all hurt.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, Lion Brand! I took crocheting lessons at the Lion Brand Yarn Studio in NYC a couple years ago... they have a fun website even if you're not located in NYC - http://www.lionbrandyarnstudio.com/.

Now I live on the west coast but I frequent the Lion Brand Yarn website - http://www.lionbrand.com/ - if you register, it gives you access to free patterns, and also to their incredibly helpful Learning Center - they've got videos and such.

I've been out of the habit of crocheting but Gypsy, you've motivated me to pull my yarn bag out of the closet and start up with it again - so thank you!

(I also learned to knit and to crochet as a kid, but I've always preferred crocheting over knitting - I'm kind of a clod with the 2 knitting needles so crocheting just works a whole lot better for me)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned to knit when I was a child and have taken it up again recently. I haven't done anything real complex - technique-wise I'm probably still at beginner levels even though I've knit a bunch of stuff in the past few years.

Worsted weight is a nice weight for a starting project, but you might consider a brand that offers more yards to the skein - if only so you don't have as many yarn ends to weave in to finish your project! :wink2: Plymouth 220 comes in lots of beautiful colors, and has 220 yards to the skein. Some Malabrigo yarns also come in large skeins, and beautiful variegated colors. (Most local yarn stores (LYS) will wind skeins into balls or "cakes" for you. If you come across one that doesn't - mine doesn't due to lack of space - all is not lost, since worsted weight is fairly easy to wind into a ball on your own.)

I use both straight and circular needles but I find myself reaching for my circulars more and more often, just because I have a wonderfully luxurious set of interchangeable circulars that I really like. I haven't yet tried square needles like the ones you're considering.

If you haven't already discovered it, go on over and register yourself at Ravelry.com. It's a wonderful resource because people post pictures and comments about their finished projects. You can see what a specific pattern looks like knit up in various yarns, or what a specific yarn looks like knit up as - say - a scarf or a hat. There are also lots of free patterns available there!

Shopping at your local yarn store, especially when you're just getting started, is a wonderful idea. They'll help you choose materials that are easy to work with for a first project, and they can also help you out if you hit a rough patch.

Good luck!

ETA re the cats - I haven't tried to knit around a kitten. My older cats mostly leave the knitting alone. Knitting doesn't usually produce a lot of bits and pieces of yarn that could be ingested and become a problem. Still - keep an eye on your cats when you're knitting and if they show a particular interest in the yarn, just keep your project out of reach when you're not working on it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1390526934|3599870 said:
And here is the kind of stuff people knit in my crunchy town:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsvRPwmWRhc

:lol:

OMG and LOL: tree huggers!!!!

eta re cats: it was many years ago prior to have LOTS of cats. however, the cat I had at the time, well, let's just say that a yarn ball was irresistible! just keep an eye out and you'll be fine...and so will kitty.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have only skimmed this thread so others may have already commented on this, but:

I am a Knitter. I really enjoy it even though I've taken a bit of a hiatus (um, gel nails and quilting have been my current fixation). I would suggest a quick easy starter pattern:

Get a ball of Peaches 'n Cream or Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton. In a multi color that you like. Get 7 or 8 needles. I prefer ChaiGoo circular needles. I detest straight needles but there are those who love them. :D

Then make a dishcloth/potholder using your scarf pattern but just stopping shorter than your 12foot (or whatever) length. :D I often show noobs this pattern: http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpatterns/grfavorite.html

Another thing if you want more help is to join Ravelry.com. Someone from Ravelry directed me here and I am forever grateful. :D

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1390530963|3599949 said:
I learned to knit when I was a child and have taken it up again recently. I haven't done anything real complex - technique-wise I'm probably still at beginner levels even though I've knit a bunch of stuff in the past few years.

Worsted weight is a nice weight for a starting project, but you might consider a brand that offers more yards to the skein - if only so you don't have as many yarn ends to weave in to finish your project! :wink2: Plymouth 220 comes in lots of beautiful colors, and has 220 yards to the skein. Some Malabrigo yarns also come in large skeins, and beautiful variegated colors. (Most local yarn stores (LYS) will wind skeins into balls or "cakes" for you. If you come across one that doesn't - mine doesn't due to lack of space - all is not lost, since worsted weight is fairly easy to wind into a ball on your own.)

I use both straight and circular needles but I find myself reaching for my circulars more and more often, just because I have a wonderfully luxurious set of interchangeable circulars that I really like. I haven't yet tried square needles like the ones you're considering.

If you haven't already discovered it, go on over and register yourself at Ravelry.com. It's a wonderful resource because people post pictures and comments about their finished projects. You can see what a specific pattern looks like knit up in various yarns, or what a specific yarn looks like knit up as - say - a scarf or a hat. There are also lots of free patterns available there!

Shopping at your local yarn store, especially when you're just getting started, is a wonderful idea. They'll help you choose materials that are easy to work with for a first project, and they can also help you out if you hit a rough patch.

Good luck!

ETA re the cats - I haven't tried to knit around a kitten. My older cats mostly leave the knitting alone. Knitting doesn't usually produce a lot of bits and pieces of yarn that could be ingested and become a problem. Still - keep an eye on your cats when you're knitting and if they show a particular interest in the yarn, just keep your project out of reach when you're not working on it.

Your whole post is full of goodness, but I really appreciated the part I bolded! Weaving in the loose ends is kind of a pain, especially when you've finished a project and you just want to be totally done. Great advice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VR: http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/8F352D1D-B58A-4FF9-AC13-BEEDA979EFB0/productID/1310935B-BBA1-4671-9C0D-22B34960A0CA/ :love: This stuff is GORGEOUS. I will definitely consider it for my scarf project.

http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-weight-worsted/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-madelinetosh-tosh-vintage/ With this one I would only need 2 hanks, because the yards are so generous. SO despite the fact that it's so expensive it ends up cheaper for me. I just wish that gorgeous astrid grey was in stock

This is going to be a fun adventure.
VR those squareish ones are the ones recommended for arthritis. So I'm thinking I'm going to take a chance on them.

Mary, I'm happy my post helped you.

Hi Cozy, the lessons I am going to get I think come with a pattern. So I'm really excited.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Madelinetosh yarns. They're a dream to work with, and their colorways are always gorgeous. :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I give most of my projects as gifts and haven't taken many pics, but since I haven't given this scarf to its recipient yet I took a few pictures for you. This is Lion Brand Wool-Ease in a light gray, 15 stitches width on size 8 needles:

(For reference, I'm 5'10" and at full length without being wrapped the hems touch the tops of my thighs. This is 2 full skeins.)

scarf1.jpg

scarf2.jpg

scarf3.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that's lovely Monnie. Thanks for sharing. It's beautiful. I am so excited to start knitting.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're very welcome! I'm glad you've decided to start knitting again. It's a great hobby, and I find it so relaxing. My mother taught me how; she said she used to knit while she was commuting to her job in the city back when she was a single girl about town--she'd carry the yarn in a tote over her arm and just knit away waiting for the bus and even ON the bus.

I have a set of circular needles that have a bunch of interchangeable, airplane-friendly tips I used to take with me when I traveled for work. Those were handy! I don't use them anymore--if you ever want them, let me know!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monarch - i love your scarf! It looks warm and soft, and that's a beautiful yarn!

Gypsy - The Acadia is DK weight, so it's a thinner yarn that you'd have to knit on smaller needles and it will be more stitches to the inch than a worsted weight - which means that it will take you a lot longer to finish your project. Looking at projects on Ravelry that were knit with this yarn,it looks like it knits up very soft and drapey (because of the silk and alpaca). You might want a yarn with a bit more body for your DH.

Berracco makes very nice yarns, and I have a project in Ultra Alpaca (lace weight) in my unfinished projects pile. (Actually I finished a full scarf and then tore it out - don't ask!). Alpaca is a very warm wool. It's usually not plied very tightly, so it also will give your project softer, more drapey finish that some of the springier yarns. Because of this you'd probably want to choose a pattern that has some texture if you're knitting for your DH. It doesn't have to be much texture - a rib knit or a seed stitch, both of which use very predictable combinations of knit and purl stitches - would do.

But... I think there are easier yarns that you could start with. For your first project, at least, you should treat yourself to a trip to a good yarn store. If nothing else, you want to be able to feel the yarn so you can be sure that it'll be nice and soft on the neck.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ditto the part about going to your LYS. Going to mine is my very favorite part about knitting - the camaraderie, the suggestions for yarns to use, the general niceness of most knitters. Plus, if you can take a beginner class, there will be someone there who can help you with mistakes so your first project is wearable.

The teacher in my very first knitting class told me I was the worst, most hopeless beginner she'd ever seen! I stuck with it and I love to knit now, just wish I had more time for it. :)

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1390522057|3599790 said:
I want to take up knitting. Anyone here knit? I learned to knit as a kid. I don't remember it all, but I think it will be like riding a bike. I want to get some needles and yarn. Really looking forward to it.

I'm going to start by making a scarf. Is this is okay for a beginner? This is the yarn I want (I think I need 5 hanks, is that right?) : http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-weight-worsted/webs-knitting-yarns-jil-eaton-minnow-merino/ And the needles I think I'm going to get: http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitters-pride-fixed-circular-knitting-needles/knitters-pride-knitters-pride-cubics-fixed-circular-needles/ size 8 are these a good match and a good quality/style for a beginner? Am I buying the right amount of yarn?

Any assistance appreciated. I'll probably stop by at a local store for a lesson and also use You Tube to help jog my memory.

Edited to fix links.

Gypsy, I love to knit! I knit with handspun yarn, and if you get into knitting, there's the upgrade, right there - a spinning wheel. ;))
The yarn you chose (which is lovely) will have to be wound into balls before you can knit from it. Your yarn store will likely be able to do this for you, or you can get a ball winder (few bucks on ebay) if you want to do it yourself.

I love the cubics needles. ETA they are much gentler on the hands - I have carpal tunnel, and I'm fine with wooden cubics. They also do metal ones, which are a bit more robust, but not as gentle on the hands. The wooden ones can be a little fragile, but they are nice to use for long periods of time. I think they have really improved the evenness and stitch formation of my knitting. If you're going for circular needles, great, but maybe think about buying interchangeable tips, rather than fixed. You get more flexibility. They come in sets, but you can also get them all individually.

Once you get started, come and show - we can have a knit-along.
This is my last project - Arran weight cardigan with Fair Isle borders.

eta, sorry it's sideways. Oops. Never mind - you get the idea! Also, I see you're reconsidering yarn, so you might not need a winder. When I learned to knit, the lady who taught me said that the general rule was that the needle diameter / circumference should be roughly the same as the yarn's. (Unless you're knitting from a commercial pattern, in which case someone works out the needle size and yardage for you). I second the folks who recommend ravelry. They have literally millions of patterns. Good luck!

_14049.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Jennifer! That is a beautiful sweater...just...WOW! :love:

Um, I just got home from buying more yarn, and a set of size 35 needles. THANKS A BUNCH GYPSY! :lol:

I've wanted to knit something like these two pictures for a couple years--I just love that large scale, chunky look!

giantknit.jpg

giantknitberroco.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results