shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own/use "high end" sunglasses?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
By high end I mean, I guess $50+ a pair? I usually only buy cheap stuff from Target because I don't find that I use them, as I don't like glasses and whatnot on my face. But I squint so badly in the sun, and I feel like I need to start wearing them. My undereyes have been crepy all my life anyway since I wear 10lbs of spackle under them every day. Back in October when I was at the MOA, I saw a pair of Raybans at Nordstrom that I LOVED, they were one of what is apparently like 40 versions of the Aviator. I cannot remember which they were, but my local stores don't seem to have exactly that pair and I didn't think to take a pic of the label to remember. They were $129 I think. The Guccis I liked were $330 but I won't spend that much on sunglasses. I could deal with up to $150 maybe, since Im using some of my gift card money for it, and using the rest for either a purse or some newer converse (even though I prefer the Target ones).

Do you own (and use) nicer sunglasses? Are they worth it to you?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
ZOMG yes!

I swear, they changed my life. It was uh-MAY-zing how much eyestrain I had with cheap sunglasses and never knew it. I mean, I can't tell you how much I love mine now. I paid close to $300, but also bought the insurance *just in case* something happened to them. There's no question. I'll never go back.

I had a friend explain the differences in the lenses, and once I understood I was like :shock: Even just trying on the cheap ones and then immediately trying on the high end ones (like raybans) you can see a major difference. And you know what? I don't squint in sunlight anymore! I used to get such headaches from the bright light, and had NO IDEA that the headaches were because of the stoopid sunglasses. I thought it was from squinting (which I still did in sunglasses.) Nope. I was squinting BECAUSE of them. Now it's so pleasant and easy to drive! I am over the moon!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have been buying prescription sunglasses for years. Love them. My son wears Rayban aviators and loves them. Get a pair with good lenses and large enough to keep the sun from coming in over the top.

I agree with Mrs. Taylor that your eyes are so worth getting proper lenses.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
There were "regular" ray bans and then ones with a P on them, for I assume Polarized. What kind of lenses do you have? And what's the reason someone would want polarized?

I hope I find the ones I liked up north. I should've just bought them. I could've returned.

I don't want Rx ones, I wear contacts 99% of the time I am awake. I only use my glasses for at night or on bad allergy days. I hate them on my face. I don't wear my Cpap mostly bec of that also. Trapped feeling I think.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Polarized are good for cutting glare, such as light reflected off the water. I have to avoid them for flying, because it interacts with some of the polarized covers on instruments in the plane, causing it to go black. Sometimes car windows will look spotted with polarized lenses. But, normally I love them for water and snow activities where there is a lot of reflected sunlight.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. I know I won't take good care of my sunglasses -- I drop them, sit on them, stretch them out on top of my head, scratch the hell out of them -- to such a degree that expensive ones would both drive me crazy and be a waste.

I have no doubt they're better, they're just not better for me.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
You might be suprised. That's how I always was too-I'd NEVER had a pricey pair before because I lose them, break them, scratch them etc. It wasn't until this past June that I realized the difference (which I kinda knew before, but had no idea how much it affected my daily life) that it became a priority. But, that's why I bought the insurance. NO matter what happens to them for $25 I can get them replaced. That I can deal with. And guess what? Not so much as a nic on them and I've never misplaced them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunglasses is one place I splurge.
For me that means polarized Maui Jim's or Hobbies.

Costco often has them at good prices.
My current Maui Jim's were $59 IIRC, and I saw the exact same model at Sunglasses Hut for $199.

I REALLY appreciate the sharpness and lack of eye strain from high optical quality (yes I know there are much more expensive ones) and the polarizing lenses, which cuts down glare.
Also since the glare is reduced you can see the real color of stuff so the world looks more beautiful.

My SO buys $5 sunglasses and I can't wear them.
When I put them on the reaction is visceral.
I practically panic when the world turns blurry and soft and my eye muscles strain in vain to correct the distortion.

I prefer non-tinted as in a neutral gray.
If there is any tint it has to be just a tiny bit and on the blue side.
The yellow/brown/rosey hues makes the world look hot, dry and unattractive to my mind.
YMMV.

I told my ophthalmologist I've worn dark polarized lenses religiously all my life.
She told me not squinting is the reason I look much younger than I am now that I'm an old fart.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I don't go around water much and only deal with snow when it's on the ground here, so I don't know if I NEED polarized lenses.

That said I might hit a few stores and see if I can track down that specific pair I liked from Minnesota.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Interesting question because I live and have lived in very sunny places.

Short answer is no, I can't justify it to myself to buy $100 sunglasses when I can get a pair almost anywhere for around the $12- $13 price point.

In a way, this is silly because I could have just not bought Diet Coke for two months or something, you know what I mean?, and I could buy nice sunglasses.

I did have a nice pair once. They were $89, and I'd say in today's money that could be up to about the $120 price point or so.

I loved them. You can see much more clearly through the lenses and the frames fit your face better and don't let as much light in.

I definitely think they're worth it, at least to the level of the ones I had.

I broke them. Sadly, those had to be replaced with cheap ones because breaking the nice ones was just so irresponsible, and I haven't bought a nice pair since.

So I guess my answer has to be no but I wouldn't rule it out. I'd love to have a nice pair again.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I wear prescription sunglasses, so they will be whatever my (lovely) optician has available in his nicer range. I currently have a Chanel pair and a Givenchy pair. I really like them, they are beautifully made, comfortable on my face for long periods and well, they look nice. I buy new ones ever 2 - 4 years, depending on whether my prescription changes.

Small bit of luxury!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - I break sunglasses all the time if I get regular ones, so I get Silhouettes, which have frames made of titanium which are very bendy. Seriously, you can step on them, have them knocked around in your purse, and they are fine. I have some other nicer pairs but don't wear them nearly as much.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oddly enough when I buy cheap sunglasses I loose them within weeks. I bought a pair of Louis Vuitton sunglasses at least four years ago and still wear them daily. They were insanely expensive, but given the cost per wear overtime, they have ended up costing less than the cheap ones I would lose. And the are fabulous.

I also tend to buy Coach sunglasses, nice patters and shape variety. I usually will buy them when they have the 25% off going on. These I have lost quite of a few of though :( I hope someone is enjoying them!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I splurged a few years back and paid Maui Jim for a polarized pair of prescription lenses. I LOVE them. Totally out of style now, but I keep them in the car for driving. They are rose colored lens, and I just am happy to look at the world through them. They make my eyes feel "aaaahhhh" when I put them on. Worth every penny, which was a lot since I cracked the lens on my first pair and had to get them replaced.

For out and about wear, I have a pair of tom fords. I would be fine with cheap glasses for the purpose I need (which was to shield the skin around the eyes from the sun to prevent wrinkles, but most big glasses look terrible on me. The Tom Fords are a bit heavy for my tastes, but I do like them.

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
Yes and I think they are worth it ( I notice less squinting). I usually like the Gucci's but buy them at Nordstrom Rack or when Nordstrom has the half yearly sale so the $300+ becomes $150+. I also think I keep up with and take better care of the glasses I pay more for. I bought a couple of $5 Forever 21 pairs this summer and I have lost them already! :sun:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Yes!!! I think that sunglasses are worth spending the money on. I see a HUGE difference in quality between a cheapie $10 pair and a $100 pair--less so between a $100 and $300 pair, though--unless they are polarized. Also, pricier shades tend to offer better protection too. Its really important to protect your eyes, especially if you have light eyes. I have very pale blue eyes, and am extremely light-sensitive. I see a huge difference in my comfort level when I wear good shades.

I would also recommend checking out the outlets and discount stores for 'deals'. I got a $350 pair of gucci aviators at the Bloomingdales outlet for about $70! Also, last time I was at Nordstrom Rack they had some nice ones!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear eyeglasses 18/7 so I wear prescription sunglasses which are, I think, "high end" by definition... :lol: ... as in $400-600+ a pop for me, since I use blended lenses and have to use high-index stuff to keep the lens thickness manageable. Needless to say, I choose my frames very carefully because I'm not going to change sunglasses just because the frames seem"dated." I always get polarized lenses and a secure (zippered) case for my purse, and I wrap them in a good polish cloth whenever they go into the case.

However, I'm getting lasik correction surgery in a few weeks ( :appl: ) so I suppose non-prescription lenses will be an option! I'll probably have to make due with low-end sunglasses for awhile till I'm sure some minor distance vision adjustments aren't needed for driving. If not... knowing that I'll probably treat low-end sunglasses as "disposable" anyway, I'll probably spring for well-fitted sunglasses with high- quality, polarized lenses again!

shortstack

Rough_Rock
You may want to try Alain Mikli sunglasses; the quality is superb and they last for years.

Pics of my favorite pair:

photo.JPG

photo(3).JPG

photo(1).JPG

photo(2).JPG

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
I have a pair of Chanel sunglasses and while they are not polarized, they are by far the best quality lenses I've ever had. I lost no visual details with those glasses on. I think they were $300 ish but I bought them about 9 years ago so prices probably have gone up. My everyday glasses are a pair of Marc by Marc Jacobs. I think they were around $50? They are cute on, but IMO they are no better than $15 glasses.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1325362454|3092417 said:
Interesting question because I live and have lived in very sunny places.

Short answer is no, I can't justify it to myself to buy $100 sunglasses when I can get a pair almost anywhere for around the $12- $13 price point.

In a way, this is silly because I could have just not bought Diet Coke for two months or something, you know what I mean?, and I could buy nice sunglasses.

I did have a nice pair once. They were $89, and I'd say in today's money that could be up to about the $120 price point or so.

I loved them. You can see much more clearly through the lenses and the frames fit your face better and don't let as much light in.

I definitely think they're worth it, at least to the level of the ones I had.

I broke them. Sadly, those had to be replaced with cheap ones because breaking the nice ones was just so irresponsible, and I haven't bought a nice pair since.

So I guess my answer has to be no but I wouldn't rule it out. I'd love to have a nice pair again.

I don't know what it is about your posts lately Danny but I think you are just lovely. I want to give you a big hug! And a big diamond and a new pair of sunglasses!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jennifer W|1325364082|3092432 said:
I wear prescription sunglasses, so they will be whatever my (lovely) optician has available in his nicer range. I currently have a Chanel pair and a Givenchy pair. I really like them, they are beautifully made, comfortable on my face for long periods and well, they look nice. I buy new ones ever 2 - 4 years, depending on whether my prescription changes.

Small bit of luxury!

As usual, ditto to Jen - though mine are Bulgari. They have a little bling pattern on the side that echoes my ring, round to marquise! :geek:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a cheapy pair of sunglasses from a fashion clothes shop which lasted me for 5 years. I have told my husband that this qualifies me for a posh pair. I can be trusted to take care of them :bigsmile:

He wears Oakley. They have excellent customer service. One of the bits that go around your ear came off and they repaired them for £14. I thought that was really good and much cheaper than buying a new pair (£135).

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
My mom is big into designers so I have designer glasses. I don't know if I could bring myself to spend that much on sunglasses but I do have to say, I think I get my money's worth out of them. Mine aren't polarized but I wear them ALL the time - everyday since I drive, usually as the sun is coming up (ugh), all the time when I'm outside, and I don't have eyestrain and they do a great job.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1325367910|3092494 said:
I don't know what it is about your posts lately Danny but I think you are just lovely. I want to give you a big hug! And a big diamond and a new pair of sunglasses!!

Danny you got the rich ladies here buying you big diamonds, even when they know they aren't going to get any action out of us gay guys.

How do you do it?

:bigsmile:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1325369826|3092514 said:

Danny you got the rich ladies here buying you big diamonds, even when they know they aren't going to get any action out of us gay guys.

How do you do it?

:lol:

melave

Shiny_Rock
Oh i spend $250+ on my sunglasses, though they seem to be more expensive here.

I have an old pair of maui jims that i love and a newer pair of serengeti that are just fantastic!!! I love the photochromic, polarised lenses. Worth every dollar.

It is just too bright here not to wear them!! Plus i like the polarised lenses as they make this dry, dusty, dirty place look good. Green is really Green.

I wear cheapies at work, but that is because i have to wear safety glasses.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1325366189|3092453 said:
I splurged a few years back and paid Maui Jim for a polarized pair of prescription lenses. I LOVE them. Totally out of style now, but I keep them in the car for driving. They are rose colored lens, and I just am happy to look at the world through them. They make my eyes feel "aaaahhhh" when I put them on. Worth every penny, which was a lot since I cracked the lens on my first pair and had to get them replaced.

For out and about wear, I have a pair of tom fords. I would be fine with cheap glasses for the purpose I need (which was to shield the skin around the eyes from the sun to prevent wrinkles, but most big glasses look terrible on me. The Tom Fords are a bit heavy for my tastes, but I do like them.
I tried on a couple pair of his too that I liked but they were RIDICULOUS in size. They were like a blind spot waiting to happen.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1325370187|3092521 said:
kenny|1325369826|3092514 said:

How do you do it?

:lol:

Y'all are the best kind of guy friends to have! We know you won't have an ulterior motive! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found that there is a direct correlation between the cost of my sunglasses to how fast I lose or break them. So I pretty much wear designer imitations! But you all have made me curious about trying a really high quality pair. I just have to find a deal because I won't pay retail for that kind of thing!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES! My grandmother scolded me in high school for wearing Forever 21, $5 sunnies. She believed that they didn't have good, true 100% UV protection. Years later, while working in an optometry, I found POLARIZED lens. My eyes fell in love!!! I order all polarized lenses to replace my lens with, now. I don't think I care so much for designed brand FRAMES, but since my insurance gave me $150 to spend every 2 years, I only had to pay a little more to get me some fancy schmanchy ones. My favorite is a pair of Roberto Cavallis I have that is covered in bling on the temples.. Of course, I switched the lens for some polarized ones, though ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results