shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow or White Gold for lavender spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to Lauren
11.gif
2.gif
I have also purchased one of those legacy - style cushion mounts and am waiting on rough to have a cushion cut for it.
I will most likely have a lavender/violet spinel - see pic from Jeff White below (not my stone, but the colour I would like)..

Can I please have some opinion on whether white or yellow gold will be more flattering for this stone?
To be honest, I would prefer yellow, but I don't want to detract from the colour of the stone.

I know deeper purples like amythest are usually better with yellow, but not sure with violet..?

Does anybody have one set?

Thanks in advance for any input!
1.gif

012c.jpg

SPL009.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Arjuna, who are you going to to cut it? Let me tell you, that is a hard color to find...If you need any help in that arena, feel free to ask. And I''d look for lavender sapphires too, if it''s in your budget.

Personally, I like white gold better for it. But that is my preference in general. But I do like cooler colored stones with cooler colored metals.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey Freke - I am in contact with Gary at FineWater gems and he seems quite confident (and really nice!) He has already ordered some rough, but admittedly I haven't seen the colour yet..
I didn't realize it was vary rare - do you have any other suggestions..? To be honest sapphs are outta budget for sure. I'm keeping it around $450 tops, seeing as the mount is only couple hundred, I wouldn't want a really expensive stone in there, lol.!
5.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m sticking to that "light colors in white metal" rule. Yellow can be great for vibrant or dark colors, but it would sort of push the lighter one behind the scenes. Although you COULD get away with a yellow prong setting on a white shank, or yellow accent stones for that matter, to give the stone some warmth without overpowering it.

GemRite

Rough_Rock
Hello arjunajane,
I think I will have to agree with FrekeChild on this. If the stone was a little more purple I think yellow gold would be good. Since it leans to the violet side, the white would bring out the color. Of course this is my opinion. I am one of those people that never wears yellow metal jewelry, but you could be one of those people that never wears white metal jewelry. No matter what you do,
1.gif
it will be one fine ring. Cushion is a really nice cut. Are you wanting a square cushion or rectangle cushion?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey there,
thanks Ma re and Gemrite for your input.
I think to be honest just seeing them together I have to agree that the WG will look better.
John, as to your comment I have both yellow and white, but have just found yellow and rose suit my tone better. But as I said, I would like to do what brings out the stone best
5.gif
The setting fits a 7x7mm cushion - can''t wait to see what the vendor comes up with !

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
My vote is for White, but you need to go with what you love and what will make you happy.

If it''s surrounded by diamonds, maybe it won''t matter if the color is yellow or white!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 3:24:18 AM
Author: Jelly
My vote is for White, but you need to go with what you love and what will make you happy.

If it''s surrounded by diamonds, maybe it won''t matter if the color is yellow or white!
True - if there''s very little metal seen.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 3:36:46 AM
Author: ma re

If it's surrounded by diamonds, maybe it won't matter if the color is yellow or white!
True - if there's very little metal seen.
This is what I was thinking...

maybe white halo with yellow shank? Does anyone think that would look dodgy.
There are more pics here in Lauren's thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-for-coloured-gem-crew.92348/page-2

Yes, my name is AJ and I'm addicted to yellow gold, lol.
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 4:35:02 AM
Author: arjunajane

True - if there''s very little metal seen.

There are more pics here in Lauren''s thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-for-coloured-gem-crew.92348/page-2

Yes, my name is AJ and I''m addicted to yellow gold, lol.
1.gif
Not at all if you ask me. If you like the look, go for it!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2008 4:35:02 AM

If it's surrounded by diamonds, maybe it won't matter if the color is yellow or white!
True - if there's very little metal seen.

There are more pics here in Lauren's thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-for-coloured-gem-crew.92348/page-2

Yes, my name is AJ and I'm addicted to yellow gold, lol.
1.gif
AJ - I contacted the eBay store that sells these settings a few weeks back to see if they would do me that setting in two-tone (ie, yellow band/white halo) and they are happy to do so, and the extra cost is minimal. I too am a yellow gold nut and it would be the best of both worlds, you'd get your yellow gold fix, but bring out the best in your purdy stone!
3.gif
I think all put together it would look fabulous!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 7:33:57 AM
Author: DandiAndi

AJ - I contacted the eBay store that sells these settings a few weeks back to see if they would do me that setting in two-tone (ie, yellow band/white halo) and they are happy to do so, and the extra cost is minimal. I too am a yellow gold nut and it would be the best of both worlds, you''d get your yellow gold fix, but bring out the best in your purdy stone!
3.gif
I think all put together it would look fabulous!!
Thx Dandiandi - actually now you mention it I remember you saying so. Do you have a photo in mind where you have see this before Dandi?

Has anyone seen a pic of a Legacy (or other halo) style anywhere in 2 tone?
I''m such a wuss, I don''t want to order something I don''t know how it will look exactly, lol..

Thanks everyone who is posting!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 8:14:18 AM
Thx Dandiandi - actually now you mention it I remember you saying so. Do you have a photo in mind where you have see this before Dandi?

I''m such a wuss, I don''t want to order something I don''t know how it will look exactly, lol..

Perhaps someone could photoshop them for you, and put the stone in as well.....Shimmer or Revolution are both Photoshop Wizards!

LS

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 8:16:02 AM
Author: LostSapphire

Date: 8/22/2008 8:14:18 AM

Perhaps someone could photoshop them for you, and put the stone in as well.....Shimmer or Revolution are both Photoshop Wizards!

LS
Ha, LS you are psychic. I was just saving pics for a photoshop request!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 8:20:28 AM

LS
9.gif
That is one of the skillsets noted on my resume....

Freke is also a Photoshop Queen...I don''t know how I forgot to mention her!

LS

p.s. good luck with it. I saw your pics posted and they should be easily edited. Best way to try and visualize the options.

ppss....For what it''s worth, I am a huge fan of 2 tone rings. (yg shank, white/platinum head)....best of both worlds IMO.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 9:01:32 AM

Date: 8/22/2008 8:20:28 AM

LS
9.gif
That is one of the skillsets noted on my resume....

Freke is also a Photoshop Queen...I don''t know how I forgot to mention her!

LS

p.s. good luck with it. I saw your pics posted and they should be easily edited. Best way to try and visualize the options.

ppss....For what it''s worth, I am a huge fan of 2 tone rings. (yg shank, white/platinum head)....best of both worlds IMO.

he he, awesome..
Found this setting in two tone with milgraine and pave (its reversed, as I would go WG halo and YG shank), but I guess it gives an idea..
I think dandiandi and yourself LS are onto something...

GemView_NewSetting.jpg-1.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
With a violet stone, what do y''all think..?

GemView_NewSetting.jpg-2.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of two tone as well. It''s a lovely stone.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would check with Dan Stair too, he's ordering more rough that should get to him in the next couple of days.

Ummm...CWMNBN has those beautiful purple-blue sapphires (seen in my Desperately Seeking Spinel thread) but they are $550 per carat-although he thinks the two on the left would made 1.2-1.3ct cushions.

You might also check with Peter T. I can probably give you his email if you like, but google inside the parentheses and check out his stone: (75. 11.57ct 13.60x13.62x11.05mm. Bolivian amethyst) MonkeyPie let me know about him. They both rock!

And as always, Jeff White.

And I see you've already looked at John B's stuff on GemRite.

Maybe look into Barry Bridgestock's stuff when ACS does it's new drop (or if you need his email, let me know.)

Ummmm...If I think of any more, I will let you know.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 11:02:14 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I would check with Dan Stair too, he''s ordering more rough that should get to him in the next couple of days.

Ummm...CWMNBN has those beautiful purple-blue sapphires (seen in my Desperately Seeking Spinel thread) but they are $550 per carat-although he thinks the two on the left would made 1.2-1.3ct cushions.

You might also check with Peter T. I can probably give you his email if you like, but google inside the parentheses and check out his stone: (75. 11.57ct 13.60x13.62x11.05mm. Bolivian amethyst) MonkeyPie let me know about him. They both rock!

And as always, Jeff White.

And I see you''ve already looked at John B''s stuff on GemRite.

Maybe look into Barry Bridgestock''s stuff when ACS does it''s new drop (or if you need his email, let me know.)

Ummmm...If I think of any more, I will let you know.
Thanks so much Freke ! I actually hadn''t read your spinel thread until now, so had no idea - great minds hey
31.gif

Gary from Finewater should have some rough for me anyday. He''s been really lovely, so I''ll see how that goes, but I may hit you up for those emails after..

Thanks again, and good luck in your search hon !
5.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rock on. Yeah, just let me know if you need anything!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 11:20:07 AM
Freke! Bad news
7.gif
Both the rough that gary ordered were too small..
39.gif
He is going to try again, but is going away for a couple of weeks..

Are you still happy to share all the contacts you mentioned? It seems we are looking for quite different colours, so hopefully it won''t conflict..

I would love if you can help !
5.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That colour you posted is on the "cool" side, so a white metal would be best.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I vote for white, but I think that rose gold would be really pretty too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2008 3:27:33 AM
Date: 8/22/2008 11:20:07 AM
Freke! Bad news
7.gif
Both the rough that gary ordered were too small..
39.gif
He is going to try again, but is going away for a couple of weeks..

Are you still happy to share all the contacts you mentioned? It seems we are looking for quite different colours, so hopefully it won''t conflict..

I would love if you can help !
5.gif
Sure. i have to run now, but if you check out my spinel thread, they are all mentioned in there, and if you need emails, just let me know here, and I''ll get to it when I get back later today!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
TY Chrono for your opinion..
Iluvcarats I have just puchased another smaller stone of similiar colour, which I''m hoping will fit into an empty rose gold mount I have - I thought it would look lovely too
5.gif

Freke, I have emailed Dan Stair, "no-name", ACS gems, (Jeff White in the past)..Any others I should try..?
Thanks!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for white, too. Maybe if you need the yellow gold, keeping the halo white, and the shank yellow. Also, doing the basket in yellow could be gorgeous, with the very top of the halo in white.

Either way, I''m sorry your search has been delayed, dear.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2008 3:37:21 PM
Freke, I have emailed Dan Stair, ''no-name'', ACS gems, (Jeff White in the past)..Any others I should try..?
Thanks!
You should try Peter. His email is in my spinel thread--from MonkeyPie more than 3/4 of the way down: Page 3 He''s super nice.

ACS is a good call because Barbara has a lot of contacts...

I think that pretty much covers it. Let me know what you hear from all of them, and then we''ll figure it out. And if I get any hints from anyone on my end, I''ll let you know.

Do you have a timeline you want it by?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2008 3:47:35 PM

Date: 8/23/2008 3:37:21 PM
Freke, I have emailed Dan Stair, ''no-name'', ACS gems, (Jeff White in the past)..Any others I should try..?
Thanks!
You should try Peter. His email is in my spinel thread--from MonkeyPie more than 3/4 of the way down: Page 3 He''s super nice.

ACS is a good call because Barbara has a lot of contacts...

I think that pretty much covers it. Let me know what you hear from all of them, and then we''ll figure it out. And if I get any hints from anyone on my end, I''ll let you know.

Do you have a timeline you want it by?
I really wish I knew who ''no-name'' is.
6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results