shape
carat
color
clarity

Are gems for pendants lower quality than gems for rings?

GemPendants

Rough_Rock
I have been reading posts in "Colored Stones" for a while. It seems most of the items shown here are rings. When someone mentioned color/clarity of a stone, she said it was an overkill for a pendant. So do people usually use lower quality stones for pendants? Why so? Thanks in advance! :))

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gempendants - You may be quoting me from this thread.

www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/setting-project-vs-new-stones-what-would-you-do-t147166.html/

I have a 0.70 ct F VS1 Crafted by Infinity diamond set in a pendant. I was originally going to set it into a ring, but changed my mind after the economic downturn wrecked havoc with our finances in late 2008. After cancelling the ring project, I left the stone loose for a few months, but that seemed really a shame. So I had it set into a simple pendant setting so I could wear it and enjoy it.

If I was going to pick a diamond for a pendant, I would pick a lower color and clarity and gone for more size. But, I can't really complain about my pendant because it does look much better than any other diamond pendant I've ever seen. It is a stunning diamond, and looks absolutely spectacular in restaurant lighting, for example. So, yes, I do think many people put lower quality diamonds into a pendant.

One big reason particular colored stones may be used in pendants is because of their hardness. There are many pretty stones which can't take the abuse of a ring, but can still be worn safely as a pendant. They are not necessarily of lower quality, but they are of lower hardness.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
This really pertains to clarity more than color, but most people don't get close enough to a pendant to see minor flaws. Or if they do, it's way too close for my comfort zone! Rings, on the other hand, are more easily viewed. I look at my own rings up close all the time. People have asked to see my rings up close occasionally (my engagement ring more often than my colored stone rings).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there is a subjective element in it - after all, you are looking at your rings all day long, and you can not, really, see your pendant unless you are looking in the mirror.

I just received a large stone, more suitable for a pendant, but then I thought, well, I want to look at it, let's opt for a ring.

GemPendants

Rough_Rock
Fly Girl said:
Hi Gempendants - You may be quoting me from this thread.

www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/setting-project-vs-new-stones-what-would-you-do-t147166.html/

I have a 0.70 ct F VS1 Crafted by Infinity diamond set in a pendant. I was originally going to set it into a ring, but changed my mind after the economic downturn wrecked havoc with our finances in late 2008. After cancelling the ring project, I left the stone loose for a few months, but that seemed really a shame. So I had it set into a simple pendant setting so I could wear it and enjoy it.

If I was going to pick a diamond for a pendant, I would pick a lower color and clarity and gone for more size. But, I can't really complain about my pendant because it does look much better than any other diamond pendant I've ever seen. It is a stunning diamond, and looks absolutely spectacular in restaurant lighting, for example. So, yes, I do think many people put lower quality diamonds into a pendant.

One big reason particular colored stones may be used in pendants is because of their hardness. There are many pretty stones which can't take the abuse of a ring, but can still be worn safely as a pendant. They are not necessarily of lower quality, but they are of lower hardness.

Yes, I was quoting from your post. Now I see it is because people want to spend the money more on size for a pendant, and more on clarity for a ring. That makes sense. Thank you.

What is the appropriate size for a pendant? If I use a simply setting which the size of the stone is pretty much the size of the pendant, (i.e, no halo or anything around the stone) would 6mmX6mm be too small to be seen? 8mmX8mm?

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
This is an interesting question to me. You may remember I dropped and chipped my Dan S amethyst a while back. It was suggested to me by a jeweler to set it in a pendant. He held it out a distance and asked "now can you see the chip?" I could not. It was an interesting point because it is unlikely anyone would get that close to your neck to be able to see the chip. I would not be able to see it and be bothered by it. So I am still trying to decide if this is a good idea or not??? So this may end up being a situation where a gem was meant for one thing but ended up in something else

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am a huge fan of pendants - I love the way a good necklace or pendant helps frame the face. I also like that they can be considerably bigger than rings, for me at least (I like small rings). While I do agree that you can go down on clarity for a pendant, I would never compromise on colour and cut. It is all about balancing the quality, size and budget.

As for size, it really depends on your personal taste and the effect you want. My smallest pendant is tiny - a 0.1ct tourmaline. I wear it for just a touch of colour.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My smallest pendant is a .3 ct alexandrite. I wear it on a short chain so it just peaks out when I'm wearing collared shirts. My next smallest is a 3 mm ruby, but it is set in a wide 14k yellow gold bezel, and it makes a nice casual pendant that I often wear with t-shirts and jeans. My largest is a 35 ct (23 mm x 18 mm) blue topaz in a simple 14k white gold basket setting. That thing is costumey. I last wore it on a heavy silver chain to a wedding at the Renaissance Festival while wearing period clothes. The rest of my pendants are all sizes in between. I find after a while that I begin to like certain pendants with certain outfits. I have a hard time planning ahead. It sort of evolves with me.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite pendant is an aquamarine 15.60 x 11.30 x 8.10 mm. I chose to set it as a pendant because it's a checkerboard cut cushion(a cut I dislike) and very included, but the color is great and it glows - so it works as a pendant but I doubt it would work as anything else. Optimal, not perfect. So in my case this could definitely apply :)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/aquamarine-signature-pendant.118795/

GemPendants

Rough_Rock
Lady_Disdain said:
I am a huge fan of pendants - I love the way a good necklace or pendant helps frame the face. I also like that they can be considerably bigger than rings, for me at least (I like small rings). While I do agree that you can go down on clarity for a pendant, I would never compromise on colour and cut. It is all about balancing the quality, size and budget.

As for size, it really depends on your personal taste and the effect you want. My smallest pendant is tiny - a 0.1ct tourmaline. I wear it for just a touch of colour.

What setting do you use for 0.1 ct stone ? I love tourmaline. :bigsmile:

GemPendants

Rough_Rock
Fly Girl said:
My smallest pendant is a .3 ct alexandrite. I wear it on a short chain so it just peaks out when I'm wearing collared shirts. My next smallest is a 3 mm ruby, but it is set in a wide 14k yellow gold bezel, and it makes a nice casual pendant that I often wear with t-shirts and jeans. My largest is a 35 ct (23 mm x 18 mm) blue topaz in a simple 14k white gold basket setting. That thing is costumey. I last wore it on a heavy silver chain to a wedding at the Renaissance Festival while wearing period clothes. The rest of my pendants are all sizes in between. I find after a while that I begin to like certain pendants with certain outfits. I have a hard time planning ahead. It sort of evolves with me.

It seems any size is OK for a pendant. Good to know. :bigsmile:

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Depends upon whom at PS Colored Stones you 'talk' to.

The pendant in my avatar are top notch Four Peaks (expensive) ammie of 17 carats (large size very hard to get in an emerald cut) and Oregon sunstone (also expensive if you want a top quality stone that is precision cut). The pendant itself is not a Chinese semi-mount, it is custom made by Julia Kay Taylor.

The diamond in the pendant was the cheapest stone of the bunch.

GemPendants

Rough_Rock
mariedtiger said:
My favorite pendant is an aquamarine 15.60 x 11.30 x 8.10 mm. I chose to set it as a pendant because it's a checkerboard cut cushion(a cut I dislike) and very included, but the color is great and it glows - so it works as a pendant but I doubt it would work as anything else. Optimal, not perfect. So in my case this could definitely apply :)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/aquamarine-signature-pendant.118795/

Thank you for sharing.

What would be the typical cost of setting a loose stone to a pendant? I read that it is about $50/stone. So if I use 20 diamonds in the halo setting with a pink tourmaline in the center, it would be $1050 or $50? Can somebody give some info based on experience? I can't find this info on the internet. :???: Thanks in advance!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
With the exception of one stone, all the gems I've bought have been turned into pendants or earrings. I used to always wear two family rings, and then when I got my engagement ring, I felt as though I was really just wearing too many. So now I just wear my e-ring (and soon, my wedding ring).

For me, I like there to be some size there. My largest is a 15mm round (topaz), a 10mm trillion (zincite), a 9x11 octagon (apatite), and a 7.5x11 pear (also apatite). Well the apatite isn't set yet, but it will be. If it's a large stone then I usually like it by itself in a pretty plain setting. But I think if there's a smaller stone, that if there is more size somewhere (either a large bezel or some diamond melee) that it can also work well. Basically, I think there's a certain size requirement for each person (that depends on the person's size and preferences) and that a combo of stone & metal can be used to reach it. The smaller the gem size, the more surrounding stuff I prefer to have. The larger the gem, the less surrounding stuff do I want the pendant to have.

Basically, all this is to say that size plays a big part in my choice of gems for a pendant, as I don't want it to be nearly invisible when worn. I want people to tell that I have jewelry on (but not mistake me for Zsa Zsa Gabor or someone like that). So I like to find size & color that I like, that is eye clean to me (at least from a 12-18" distance as people rarely get closer than that). Hope that helps!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not necessarily so:
1. Some coloured gemstones are not durable enough to handle the stresses of wear as a ring, thus are only wearable as earrings and pendants.
2. Some people might not be comfortable with large stones in a ring, so a pendant is an obvious solution.
3. This is also true for small stones; sometimes very small stones can be set creatively in pendants better than a ring.
4. Clarity challenged stones are better in pendants because nobody will see the inclusions unless they are way too close.

The other thing is what you define as quality. I've seen lots of fine quality stones set in pendants; among my favourites here is Crasru's spessartite in the reflective backing pendant.

billyboo

Rough_Rock
I think the above post by Chrono, numbers 1 & 2 pretty much sum it up.

GemPendants

Rough_Rock
AustenNut said:
With the exception of one stone, all the gems I've bought have been turned into pendants or earrings. I used to always wear two family rings, and then when I got my engagement ring, I felt as though I was really just wearing too many. So now I just wear my e-ring (and soon, my wedding ring).

For me, I like there to be some size there. My largest is a 15mm round (topaz), a 10mm trillion (zincite), a 9x11 octagon (apatite), and a 7.5x11 pear (also apatite). Well the apatite isn't set yet, but it will be. If it's a large stone then I usually like it by itself in a pretty plain setting. But I think if there's a smaller stone, that if there is more size somewhere (either a large bezel or some diamond melee) that it can also work well. Basically, I think there's a certain size requirement for each person (that depends on the person's size and preferences) and that a combo of stone & metal can be used to reach it. The smaller the gem size, the more surrounding stuff I prefer to have. The larger the gem, the less surrounding stuff do I want the pendant to have.

Basically, all this is to say that size plays a big part in my choice of gems for a pendant, as I don't want it to be nearly invisible when worn. I want people to tell that I have jewelry on (but not mistake me for Zsa Zsa Gabor or someone like that). So I like to find size & color that I like, that is eye clean to me (at least from a 12-18" distance as people rarely get closer than that). Hope that helps!

Thank you so much! It seems most of the pendants you mentioned were between 9 to 11 mm. It's a good standard to follow.

What you said is very helpful to a newbie like me. :D

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
to gempendants-i would think pendents r a plus for gems to show off in my opinion-they r placed almost at eye level to b seen & much less chance of damaging the material-im sorry for placing pics of my junk on the web but i do enjoy wearing them as does the wife-this pendent is alexandrite-over 12 cts of good quality stones-the gold work is done by a goldsmith i used for years & is exclusive for my work-his charge to do the mounting was just over $500.00 several years ago & maintains the mounting at no add. cost when needed-the appr for this pend. is in access of $35 k. so not a slouch item. hope u can see a little of the detail front & back-my 2 cnts-steve....

012.JPG

008.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you would have to ask Ms. Taylor that question. ;))

elizabeth-taylor-1970-in-edith-head-dress.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't believe there is a normal or typical size for a pendant. I've got everything from a tiny solitaire to some very ornative large pendants. Then you have multi stone pendants, drop pendants, pendants with a matching chain ........... etc etc

It is totally an individual feeling. Some like chunky jewellery, others prefer understated.

In terms of diamonds? I'm more inclined to use lower quality (if I'm going to choose) for pendants and earrings but still good diamonds.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
StonieGrl said:
Depends upon whom at PS Colored Stones you 'talk' to.

The pendant in my avatar are top notch Four Peaks (expensive) ammie of 17 carats (large size very hard to get in an emerald cut) and Oregon sunstone (also expensive if you want a top quality stone that is precision cut). The pendant itself is not a Chinese semi-mount, it is custom made by Julia Kay Taylor.

The diamond in the pendant was the cheapest stone of the bunch.

I am looking into buying an expensive super-nice ammie from Four Peaks. Any advices? Please?

I love your pendant!

digitaldevo

Rough_Rock
Trade
Also, when it comes to a ring vs. a pendant, any minor cutting mistakes, like even a small window, will show up pretty well some will close up but most show up. Inclusions are more easily seen as folks get a closer look at rings/bracelets really. Also, with pendants ppl can wear colors that enhance the color of their stones. For example, a poorer saturated ruby with inclusions could easily make an awesome pendant looking far more like a higher end stone simply by wearing a shade of yellow top, darker the yellow the more enhancement the ruby will get. Light colored tanzanite? Wear a maroon colored top and it will look a few grades higher, same tactic the TV shows use when they show the closeups in the light boxes, take notice, typically a black or maroon background, helps hide inclusions and enhance the blue color. So, technically, yes, a lower quality stone can be used very successfully in a pendant.

GemPendants

Rough_Rock
digitaldevo said:
Also, when it comes to a ring vs. a pendant, any minor cutting mistakes, like even a small window, will show up pretty well some will close up but most show up. Inclusions are more easily seen as folks get a closer look at rings/bracelets really. Also, with pendants ppl can wear colors that enhance the color of their stones. For example, a poorer saturated ruby with inclusions could easily make an awesome pendant looking far more like a higher end stone simply by wearing a shade of yellow top, darker the yellow the more enhancement the ruby will get. Light colored tanzanite? Wear a maroon colored top and it will look a few grades higher, same tactic the TV shows use when they show the closeups in the light boxes, take notice, typically a black or maroon background, helps hide inclusions and enhance the blue color. So, technically, yes, a lower quality stone can be used very successfully in a pendant.

Thank you. Your comments made me understand: the color of the stone can appear better with the correct choice of background color.

Now I can go even bigger, less color and less clarity. :bigsmile:

digitaldevo

Rough_Rock
Trade
GemPendants said:
Now I can go even bigger, less color and less clarity. :bigsmile:
:bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results