shape
carat
color
clarity

Any experience with this vendor?

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I'm interested in buying this ruby from one of the vendors listed on the this forum.
http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/11378

Has anyone every purchased stones from this vendor in the past and if so, what was your experience? Also, did you find the prices to be reasonable given the specifications?

The description of the Ruby on the link sounds good, but the pictures make it look like there's scratches and bubbles within the stone. I know it comes with a certificate, but it's not AIG, AGL, or a certification company I've ever heard of.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I can't answer your question since I have never bought from this vendor before. But it worries me that the ruby is only 2 mm thick. Even if the stone wasn't windowed, I would personally be worried about what this meant for the thickness of the girdle (which would impact the durability). Maybe someone else can shed some more light on it for you.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Let me preface by saying that I've never purchased from this vendor.

I know that there have been PS members who have purchased from him and been happy with the experience. However, with that said, there are many people here who feel that this vendor's pricing is very high, and that in general, one can find comparable gems elsewhere for much less money. (I happen to be of this opinion as well).

Another thing that I recall reading about this vendor is that his photos are very unreliable; the gem may look VERY different IRL than what you saw online.

As far as reliability goes otherwise - I think you could be confident that if you purchased a gem, you would get what you paid for; and if you wanted to return it, you probably wouldn't have any issues with that.

The general feeling seems to be that his pricing is high and his photography over-flattering, but otherwise fine to deal with.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath said:
Let me preface by saying that I've never purchased from this vendor. * * *
The general feeling seems to be that his pricing is high and his photography over-flattering, but otherwise fine to deal with.
Like katharath, I have not been a customer (I limit my purchases from overseas vendors to inexpensive stones), but I think the bottom line she gave you is an accurate statement of the general consensus.

fyi Tokyo Gem Lab is not some fly-by-night operation, altho' I think I'd pick GRS were I wanting to use a Bangkok lab.

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
qubitasaurus|1441501975|3924125 said:
Hi, I can't answer your question since I have never bought from this vendor before. But it worries me that the ruby is only 2 mm thick. Even if the stone wasn't windowed, I would personally be worried about what this meant for the thickness of the girdle (which would impact the durability). Maybe someone else can shed some more light on it for you.

If anyone can shed light on this (depth issue), that would be great!

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
katharath|1441504944|3924137 said:

I know that there have been PS members who have purchased from him and been happy with the experience. However, with that said, there are many people here who feel that this vendor's pricing is very high, and that in general, one can find comparable gems elsewhere for much less money. (I happen to be of this opinion as well).

Another thing that I recall reading about this vendor is that his photos are very unreliable; the gem may look VERY different IRL than what you saw online.

As far as reliability goes otherwise - I think you could be confident that if you purchased a gem, you would get what you paid for; and if you wanted to return it, you probably wouldn't have any issues with that.

I agree that his pricing seems high. Unfortunately, I haven't come across any other ruby that gives the impression of 3ct when in reality it is only 1 ct.

What boggles me is coming across something like the following which seems to be a good size and only heat indication (no other enhancements/treatments) and what looks to be a good color, but costs so little. Is it simply because it's from Thailand?! They also claim there is a GLI certificate, but didn't post the picture of the certificate. http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9938

katharath

Ideal_Rock
PersianGemstone|1441510112|3924165 said:

I agree that his pricing seems high. Unfortunately, I haven't come across any other ruby that gives the impression of 3ct when in reality it is only 1 ct.

What boggles me is coming across something like the following which seems to be a good size and only heat indication (no other enhancements/treatments) and what looks to be a good color, but costs so little. Is it simply because it's from Thailand?! They also claim there is a GLI certificate, but didn't post the picture of the certificate. http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9938

Well, as far as the face up goes, it's definitely because the cut is so shallow. 2 mm seems very thin to me for a less than one carat ruby facing up at @8x6. He noted that the cut is "fair" due to shallowness - I would find this concerning if cut is important to you. I only saw one pic that shows the gem facing dead on; the rest are all tilted at angles, quite possibly to hide a large window. I easily see a window in the one picture that isn't angled. However, you're right that the face up size is definitely large for the carat weight. If a rather large window wouldn't bother you, then you might be ok (assuming the color in the pics is accurate - but I personally wouldn't assume that).

The color really may not be as good as the pics make it appear, and the cut doesn't appear to be good either. I don't know that it is a great price if you factor these things in.

If you like it, I'm sure you'd be safe to order it and then return it if needed.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * What boggles me is coming across something like the following which seems to be a good size and only heat indication (no other enhancements/treatments) and what looks to be a good color, but costs so little. Is it simply because it's from Thailand?! They also claim there is a GLI certificate, but didn't post the picture of the certificate. http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9938
Is there a reputable lab with the initials of GLI? I dunno, but think the GLI in Litnon's listing headers refers to their MN corporation identity, Gem Line Inc; it appears in even their web site's CZ listings and those for estate jewelry.

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
katharath|1441510909|3924169 said:

Well, as far as the face up goes, it's definitely because the cut is so shallow. 2 mm seems very thin to me for a less than one carat ruby facing up at @8x6. He noted that the cut is "fair" due to shallowness - I would find this concerning if cut is important to you. I only saw one pic that shows the gem facing dead on; the rest are all tilted at angles, quite possibly to hide a large window. I easily see a window in the one picture that isn't angled. However, you're right that the face up size is definitely large for the carat weight. If a rather large window wouldn't bother you, then you might be ok (assuming the color in the pics is accurate - but I personally wouldn't assume that).

The color really may not be as good as the pics make it appear, and the cut doesn't appear to be good either. I don't know that it is a great price if you factor these things in.

If you like it, I'm sure you'd be safe to order it and then return it if needed.

So the listing says there are no windows, yet you seem to have spotted one. What is a window? Why would they be problematic? I've been learning a lot about rubies the past several months but this is the first time I've come across the term "window". Please educate me. :read:

I'm fine with it being shallow as the setting we will be using will likely not draw attention to it as the under gallery will be quite intricate.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an example of a window:
window-2-gem-blue.jpg

It's when you can see through the center of the stone--sometimes people put stones over text to see if they can read the text, and if they can then there's a window (like the pic shown).

I personally feel like there *might* be a window in the wildfish stone, but since the stone isn't shown over anything I have a hard time being sure. It just looks like you might be able to see through a circle in the middle. But I am not as good at detecting these things vs. others, so definitely don't take my word for it.

I might ask for more photos of the stone to get a better sense of whether there is a window or not? But to be fair to the vendor I think he has a reputation for being honest (if a bit overpriced), so it would surprise me a bit if he specifically mentions no window even though there is one.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I see that he mentions "no window". I'm just basing my posts on the pics that I see; most of which are tilted and would not show a window if there was one. The one picture that is truly a face up shot (IMO) shows what I would consider a fairly large window (at the very least, it is too large for my personal tastes). Also in this pic, the parts of the gem that do not show a window look overly dark to me, which is also not good. It appears overly dark in the third pic too, which is not good given that the pics appear to have very bright lighting centered on the gem. That means that it took a lot of light to get it to look this way; my fear is that under normal viewing condition IRL, it will not look great.

Due to the weekend, your post may not be getting as many views as usual (it slows down here on the weekends). You should feel free to wait for other people to chime in with their opinions too, this is just mine :)

Please don't misunderstand me; I have no motivations here. I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying the gem, especially since I'm confident you could return it if you liked. I've never purchased from this vendor - we all have our favorites over here, and he's just not one of mine, but I have not personally had a negative experience with him. I'm just aware that others do not view him/his business positively. Some vendors have what's basically a stellar reputation; some have simply awful ones. This vendor is probably somewhere in the middle.

However you asked for opinions, and my opinion is that this is very possibly a poorly cut stone which will not show the color IRL that you see in the pics. I'm basing this off of the proportions as listed and the second picture, which I will post here; the color issue I'm basing simply on what I've read on these boards re: this vendor's pics being accurate (well, that and my suspicions of the lighting used). I also see a large tilt window in another pic that I will post here; but since this pic is a side view, it's much more likely that you'd see a tilt window regardless of how good the cut is. It just looks rather large. This is what happens with shallow cut stones.

Again, if you think you would like the gem, go for it! It is a personal choice, just because it's not a stone I would choose doesn't mean it wouldn't work very well for YOU :). It sounds as though you like it and think it's a good fit for your requirements and budget, and if so, perhaps you should see it in person.

(See pics below. For pic one - See the space that looks like you can see through it? It starts towards the bottom of the gem and goes up almost to the other end? This is what I would suspect to be a large window.

Pic two is a side view and shows a tilt window to my eye but again, almost any CS will show at least some tilt window from the side; this is considered acceptable/normal and doesn't typically detract. This one looks rather large to me though, which can indicate a larger "true" window).

_34071.jpg

_34072.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't looked through the site's other listings, but the pics attached to this particular listing are notably disparate in the color depicted, with no explanation that might account for the differences; the cutting doesn't qualify as "flawless" imo (and I am taking into consideration its pancake-like measurements).

Windows are discussed, with photographic depictions, on the first page of New to coloured gemstones buying? Read this first!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/
that's the 4th sticky "pinned" at the top of the Colored Stones forum's 1st page. But even if the bulk of this stone is not so transparent that you could easily read newsprint through it, as in the most dramatic examples, looks as if it will be largely "dead" everywhere but around the edges... akin to these rubies which the vendors described as being windowed:

So may I suggest that, before purchasing it, you ask for a video & additional, on-the-hand photos under varied lighting conditions, so you will have (hopefully) a better idea of what to expect in terms of cut, clarity, and color.

windowed_ruby.jpg

windowed_ruby2.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Molly - great example pics (and info in general) - thank you for clarifying and illustrating the point that I believe we are both trying to make!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1441570753|3924382 said:
Molly - great example pics (and info in general) - thank you for clarifying and illustrating the point that I believe we are both trying to make!

Hope I didn't make it sound like I was disagreeing with either of you! I am 100% on the same page that there definitely could be a window and that OP should ask for more pictures (preferably a video) to learn more about the cut. :wavey:

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to chime in that everyone is saying pretty much what I was thinking when I look a look at this listing... Persian Gemstone, if I were you, I would contact the vendor and ask for more pictures in different lighting and hopefully a video of it too, to see what you think! It looks like this vendor has a good return policy too, should you buy it and decide it's not for you.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1441576074|3924409 said:
katharath|1441570753|3924382 said:

Hope I didn't make it sound like I was disagreeing with either of you! I am 100% on the same page that there definitely could be a window and that OP should ask for more pictures (preferably a video) to learn more about the cut. :wavey:

Oh no, sorry lovedogs, didn't mean to imply anything with that post of mine, your post was great too - I just mentioned Molly's specifically as I really liked the pics she included, that's all :)

ETA - lovedogs - also, that's probably my favorite window picture of all time, glad you posted it!

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for information and the suggestions.

I've contacted the vendor and requested additional photos under varied lighting, including on-the-hand pictures, as well as a video (if possible).

Given that the vendor claims that there are no windows, if we receive it and discover that there is a large window on the top view, then technically, we should be able to return it at the vendors expense as the stone would then not be what they are claiming it is. Would others agree?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question. My fiancee and I rarely make large purchases online. We just don't want to lose money through a return process (shipping & handling costs, and insurance) for something we didn't do or false advertising.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PersianGemstone|1441648384|3924644 said:

I've contacted the vendor and requested additional photos under varied lighting, including on-the-hand pictures, as well as a video (if possible).

Given that the vendor claims that there are no windows, if we receive it and discover that there is a large window on the top view, then technically, we should be able to return it at the vendors expense as the stone would then not be what they are claiming it is. Would others agree?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question. My fiancee and I rarely make large purchases online. We just don't want to lose money through a return process (shipping & handling costs, and insurance) for something we didn't do or false advertising.

I think theoretically yes, given that "no window" was in the description. But I think with more photos, including on-the-hand ones, you should be able to tell whether or not a window is there.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Honestly no, I wouldn't assume that. You're getting into a gray area here. We've seen similar scenarios play out here on the boards, here's a thread with a more recent one that I recall. The buyer purchased a gem from a vendor and felt that the pics and description were WAY off; the vendor disagreed, and it turned into a bit of an ordeal. If you'd like to read about it, go here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tried-new-vendor-what-do-you-think.211349/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tried-new-vendor-what-do-you-think.211349/[/URL]

If you get to the point where you're considering going forward, you may want to actually ask "Just to be clear, are you guaranteeing that there is no window present and that your photos are an accurate representation of what I will see in person with this gem? If I do see a window, or think your pics are not accurate, will you refund my shipping costs?"

Typically though, I would say that most of us who buy gems online do so knowing that we are accepting the risk that the gem may not look exactly like the pics; honestly, gems rarely, if ever, look "exactly" like the online pics. Many variables can affect how the gem appears via online pics vs how it appears in person. When I buy online from a trade vendor, I look for those who offer returns, and only buy from such vendors - but I've never asked a vendor to cover my return shipping costs. I'm not saying that it's never ok to ask for this; but I would say that most vendors are trying to do their best and are not trying to be deceptive. It can be hard to "prove" that one is. For the most part, a good vendor is doing their job by offering a return, but a good buyer will do their job by asking all appropriate questions before buying.

You *are* doing a good job as a buyer by asking about the gem here, and by asking the vendor any and all relevant questions before buying. Please just evaluate the replies you've received here, along with whatever addt'l info the vendor tells you, very carefully - and then decide if it is worth it to proceed, even if you're at the possible risk of being out your shipping costs.

(This is part of why we recommend going to gem shows to see gems in person, so that you start to get a feel for what to expect in certain gems, before buying extensively or expensively online. I am one of those people who disregarded that advice - I dove head into online buying! I didn't even attend a gem show until I'd been deep into the hobby for a few years. But in doing so I pretty much knew that if I bought something I didn't like, I would have to eat the return shipping costs).

katharath

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1441657501|3924686 said:

I think theoretically yes, given that "no window" was in the description. But I think with more photos, including on-the-hand ones, you should be able to tell whether or not a window is there.

Lovedogs - I'm not disagreeing with your post as technically you're correct. I just know that we've seen over here that it's not as cut and dried as it may seem, that this type of scenario varies a lot on which vendor you're dealing with. And generally I think most CS online buyers know to factor shipping costs in as part of the transaction, it kind of just is what it is. But again this can be a complicated issue, and these are just my own opinions, certainly not facts.

ETA - I kind of feel like Debbie Downer on this thread, like nothing I'm saying is what the OP wants to hear, lol!! Sorry about that. Not trying to be purposely negative, I'm just responding as honestly as I can.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1441660102|3924694 said:

Honestly no, I wouldn't assume that. You're getting into a gray area here. We've seen similar scenarios play out here on the boards, here's a thread with a more recent one that I recall. The buyer purchased a gem from a vendor and felt that the pics and description were WAY off; the vendor disagreed, and it turned into a bit of an ordeal. If you'd like to read about it, go here:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tried-new-vendor-what-do-you-think.211349/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tried-new-vendor-what-do-you-think.211349/[/URL]

If you get to the point where you're considering going forward, you may want to actually ask "Just to be clear, are you guaranteeing that there is no window present and that your photos are an accurate representation of what I will see in person with this gem? If I do see a window, or think your pics are not accurate, will you refund my shipping costs?"

Typically though, I would say that most of us who buy gems online do so knowing that we are accepting the risk that the gem may not look exactly like the pics; honestly, gems rarely, if ever, look "exactly" like the online pics. Many variables can affect how the gem appears via online pics vs how it appears in person. When I buy online from a trade vendor, I look for those who offer returns, and only buy from such vendors - but I've never asked a vendor to cover my return shipping costs. I'm not saying that it's never ok to ask for this; but I would say that most vendors are trying to do their best and are not trying to be deceptive. It can be hard to "prove" that one is. For the most part, a good vendor is doing their job by offering a return, but a good buyer will do their job by asking all appropriate questions before buying.

You *are* doing a good job as a buyer by asking about the gem here, and by asking the vendor any and all relevant questions before buying. Please just evaluate the replies you've received here, along with whatever addt'l info the vendor tells you, very carefully - and then decide if it is worth it to proceed, even if you're at the possible risk of being out your shipping costs.

(This is part of why we recommend going to gem shows to see gems in person, so that you start to get a feel for what to expect in certain gems, before buying extensively or expensively online. I am one of those people who disregarded that advice - I dove head into online buying! I didn't even attend a gem show until I'd been deep into the hobby for a few years. But in doing so I pretty much knew that if I bought something I didn't like, I would have to eat the return shipping costs).

Katharath: Thats a good point. You are likely correct, especially because it is almost unheard of for buyers not to "eat" shipping costs unless there is a specific agreement with the vendor. Especially if the vendor disagrees then you will likely get into an unfortunate grey area. I really like Katharath's advice of being straight forward and asking about guarantees, etc, before buying. That makes you less likely to get into a problematic situation.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Lovedogs - thank you for the supportive post :). I was starting to doubt whether or not I'm being "too" straightforward, I guess - I don't know. Anyway, I appreciate it!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like katharath, I fully expect to cover the cost of returns... unless ordering merchandise from Zappos or another merchant whose standard policy is freebie returns. I've only heard of customers being compensated for return shipping costs -- via a credit card chargeback -- when the customer successfully claimed the item received was significantly not as described & the merchant's policy was no returns, no refunds (fyi: photos/vidoes are considered part of an item's description; that's why the text in catalogues doesn't go into all the details about a coat, for example)

Wildfish has a 7-day return (at customer's expense), no questions asked refund policy. Plus, unlike virtually every other overseas vendor, Wildfish offers a US address for returns. I'm thinking insured, USPS Registered Mail would be the way to go, but good idea to ask Wildfish (before ordering) about this, so you have a better idea of the cost.

In case you don't already know, haven't noticed it: "tilt windows" are par for the course. So it's unrealistic to expect noooo windows; in my experience, ovals & pears seem especially prone to tilt windows unless precision cut with an eye to minimizing/eliminating 'em. More detailed info here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/window-when-stone-is-tilted.109957/
And some illustrative pics in this thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...age-3#post-3692883?hilit=tilt window#p3692883

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
Here's the vendor's reply: "I have added a few images to the website, also in tungsten light. The colour is very similar in all light settings. This stone is special because it is flat (hence difficult to photograph) but as all images show it does have a smooth consistent colour (no pale area, a window, in the middle) and you can get a ruby looking like 3 carat for much less $."

And here's the link to pictures... http://wildfishgems.com/inc/pdetaili?pid=11378

So is it a window, where it looks like I can see his 2 fingers touching?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still windowed. There is just no way to be able to hide it unless the setting is exactly the same colour as the window. Even so, the windowed area will be dead (have no sparkle).

oru099-b1hsz.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PersianGemstone|1441718617|3924918 said:
Here's the vendor's reply: "I have added a few images to the website, also in tungsten light. The colour is very similar in all light settings. This stone is special because it is flat (hence difficult to photograph) but as all images show it does have a smooth consistent colour (no pale area, a window, in the middle) and you can get a ruby looking like 3 carat for much less $."

And here's the link to pictures... http://wildfishgems.com/inc/pdetaili?pid=11378

So is it a window, where it looks like I can see his 2 fingers touching?

Hey there, so IMHO this pic (and the circle I made) is a window.
oru099-b1hsZ.jpg

I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of this stone, just because of the flat shape. I expect it will make the stone difficult to set, and don't really think the larger face up size is worth the issues with the cut. Of course that's just my preference, so if you love it that's all that matters :)

EDIT: haha Chrono and I posted at the same time I think

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooo, I've been thinking...
You absolutely want a ruby (not a spinel) because ruby is your husband-to-be's birthstone; you want to see a report from a reputable lab that's determined the stone has been subjected to nothing more than heat (and would prefer no heat); you want a distinctly, truly red ruby; do not want a small (e.g., 4.5 mm) round; and I seem to remember that your budget for the stone is $2500?

If all of the foregoing is an accurate recollection of your steadfast criteria, seems likely -- absent a very fortuitous fluke -- that given the current market, something's gotta give, i.e., it's unrealistic for us to think you're going to snag a stone that's great, or even decent, in all respects, e.g., no cut issues, no brown, etc.

It's up to you and your future husband to determine what compromises and/or adjustments you are willing to make (would you consider forgoing an e-ring altogether & get a wedding band with rubies/a ruby in it?). And, as with so many other things in life, windows or dead spots bother some people more than others -- and maybe you yourself would reject a pale aquamarine on that ground, but will decide that such is acceptable in a ruby when set in the mounting you are contemplating.

Still, I'm going to remind you of a ruby, with AGL gem brief, that I think you rejected when someone else posted it previously for your consideration. Because although it too won't win any awards, seems more appealing to me than the Wildfish one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/218236316/122ct-oval-natural-heat-only-no-flux-red

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Molly, I'm starting to think you're reading my mind. Your latest post was exactly what I wanted to say. (Also funnily enough, I have the vendor that you linked to favorited on etsy - haven't bought from them but I like quite a few of the gems listed. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the vendor, or has purchased there - do you? I'm just curious if we have any info on them).

Molly is absolutely right that given your criteria, you will very likely need to compromise on something. You should think carefully on what you're most willing to give a little on, possibly reevaluate and then continue the search.

This happens a lot in CS, it's pretty common to have to compromise in some way. For example, I love round cuts far more than any other, but in many CS, rounds are the hardest and priciest to find. So I've compromised on shape/cut in the past. Also many CS addicts feel that the saying "color is king" is true, and would accept a less than perfect cut to get the color they're dying for.

Just some things to thing about!!

PersianGemstone

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1441755944|3925270 said:
Sooo, I've been thinking...
You absolutely want a ruby (not a spinel) because ruby is your husband-to-be's birthstone; you want to see a report from a reputable lab that's determined the stone has been subjected to nothing more than heat (and would prefer no heat); you want a distinctly, truly red ruby; do not want a small (e.g., 4.5 mm) round; and I seem to remember that your budget for the stone is $2500?

If all of the foregoing is an accurate recollection of your steadfast criteria, seems likely -- absent a very fortuitous fluke -- that given the current market, something's gotta give, i.e., it's unrealistic for us to think you're going to snag a stone that's great, or even decent, in all respects, e.g., no cut issues, no brown, etc.

It's up to you and your future husband to determine what compromises and/or adjustments you are willing to make (would you consider forgoing an e-ring altogether & get a wedding band with rubies/a ruby in it?). And, as with so many other things in life, windows or dead spots bother some people more than others -- and maybe you yourself would reject a pale aquamarine on that ground, but will decide that such is acceptable in a ruby when set in the mounting you are contemplating.

Still, I'm going to remind you of a ruby, with AGL gem brief, that I think you rejected when someone else posted it previously for your consideration. Because although it too won't win any awards, seems more appealing to me than the Wildfish one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/218236316/122ct-oval-natural-heat-only-no-flux-red

I really appreciate what you said and how you said it. :appl:

As for the link you posted, if it was posted in one of my previous forums, then I probably rejected it at that time as I truly wanted a cut as close to asscher as possible. To be honest though, I really can't recall seeing this etsy stone before, but then again I've seen many over the past several months. I have, with time, come to realize I needed to make compromises so now I'm considering oval cuts. The link you attached is of a beautiful stone.

I wish I had the link yesterday as we purchased the one on wildfishgem earlier today. We got an additional 5% off for becoming a fan and another 10% off for doing a money wire. So the stone ended up costing less than the "special" price listed. If, once we receive it, it turns out to be not to our liking or the window is bothersome to me (by the way he claimed 2 more times in his emails to me that there is absolutely no windows - why he would out right lie when several pricescopers clearly note the presence of a large window, I don't know) then we will return it. Then we would seek out the stone from the link you've posted.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thanks for the compliment, that was very nice to hear. I just hope that if I start coming across like he-who-shall-not-be-named :shhh: you all will slap me upside the head.

I cannot imagine Wild Fish likes getting returns. His definition of window may very well be a "hole" of great transparency. eBay is chock-full of those; heck, look at the couple of photos in the PS thread re the Hope Spinel that are not the glamour shots Bonhams has published (those are wholly unconscionable imo) -- and lots of luck getting a refund were you to be disappointed upon receipt of that purchase!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-hope-spinel.215782/
A reminder: altho' I think the stone depicted in the etsy listing I linked seems nice in light of your budget & other considerations, it has a dead center, if not a window as everyone might define it, that's typical of shallow stones.
But hey, as katharath alluded to, most of us don't have copious amounts of discretionary income to fully placate all of our gem check-off boxes!

katharath said:
Molly, I'm starting to think you're reading my mind. Your latest post was exactly what I wanted to say. (Also funnily enough, I have the vendor that you linked to favorited on etsy - haven't bought from them but I like quite a few of the gems listed. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the vendor, or has purchased there - do you? I'm just curious if we have any info on them).
I didn't remember seeing anything about the vendor, who is pretty new to etsy, before seeing the original post linking that particular ruby, which is what prompted me to bookmark the shop. But thanks to Google, I can now report that gingercurls purchased a zircon from GranGem earlier this year & was a happy camper:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...s-stones.109420/page-22#post-3860859#p3860859

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results