shape
carat
color
clarity

What a difference a recut makes (1ctw diamond studs recut)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a pair of 1ctw studs that my husband bought for me years ago. I was in a very dark time of my life and my husband surprised me with them for Christmas. They've always meant so much to me because they were bought when we weren't really flush with funds. He bought them from Costco because pre-PS I'd always told him that Costco was the best buy for diamonds. Well, they were always nice and clear (VS1) and a decent color (H) but they've always seemed dead to me so I hardly ever wore them. I thought that maybe my earlobes were just extra greasy but even after a fresh steam clean they never sparkled like I thought they should.

Flash forward many moons to a few months ago. A lightbulb went off over my head - "hey! I bet if the diamonds were cut to H&A's they'd sparkle like mad!" So I asked a few folks, and wound up sending them to GOG. Jon is such a sweet guy. I've been friends with him for a while but had never worked with him. After this, I'd recommend him in a heart beat. He's seems genuinely excited about every project he works on. Big or small. He informed me that I wouldn't lose all that much carat weight if I got them recut so I went ahead and did it! I am so glad I did because these puppies are like little firecrackers now!

Unfortunately I didn't take that many pictures of my earrings before they were recut, so I've tried to take comparison shots with the ones I did have. I think you can tell from the pictures that they do look completely different. Like I said, I'm 100% happy I chose to do it. It probably wasn't the most economical choice because they aren't that big, but these earrings mean the world to me so getting a whole new pair wasn't an option in my mind, and thankfully I'm not a size ho when it comes to earrings (big studs look odd in my ears).

screen_shot_2013-05-04_at_8.png

screen_shot_2013-05-04_at_0.png

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Re: What a difference a recut makes (1ctw diamond studs recu

What an amazing transformation! They look great!!! :appl:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Awesome transformation! They are the perfect size in your ears, too.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Thanks guys!

Here's one more. It's the only pic I took of my earrings with a DSLR before the recut. It's not really showing the transformation completely but it gives you an idea.

screen_shot_2013-05-04_at_10.png

GoldFish8

Shiny_Rock

wow! they look awesome and it doesn't look like much weight came off at all... can I ask you how much weight came off in terms of mm and carat weight? Also, how long it took, and ease of the whole process.. (sorry I know that is a lot of questions!) I am thinking about having something like this done, but not sure if I should risk it?

again congrats on awesome new studs athena!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

GoldFish8|1367688843|3440305 said:
wow! they look awesome and it doesn't look like much weight came off at all... can I ask you how much weight came off in terms of mm and carat weight? Also, how long it took, and ease of the whole process.. (sorry I know that is a lot of questions!) I am thinking about having something like this done, but not sure if I should risk it?

again congrats on awesome new studs athena!
They only lost .06 cts each. I'm not sure of the mm loss. The whole process took about 11 weeks because they had to be shipped to Antwerp. Considering i wasn't really wearing them anyway, it wasn't a huge loss to not have them for that time, but it definitely is not a rush sort of thing.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

They look so much better, great decision!

And I'm sure it was more economical to do this than buy a whole new pair! Not to mention the sentiment.

I am waffling on a recut for a diamond I have (a repair, not to improve optics) and your experience is tipping me towards going for it.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

They look amazing, Athenaworth - well worth the 11 week wait and the cost!! So beautiful on your ears - a well cut diamond looks so much BIGGER!!!

Enjoy - they look amazing!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those look great now Athena! I did the same thing with a diamond I inherited. It is a great option I would have never thought of if it weren't for PS. The 'new' earrings look gorgeous on you!

tara3056

Shiny_Rock

That's such an amazing difference! Wow!! I can't believe they lost so little weight. They look bigger in your ears, though, because of the great cutting. Really just amazing. Makes me think of doing something similar with an inherited diamond someday!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Well done!! :appl: Enjoy your "new" earrings!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, they look amazing now!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So worth the time, effort and cost! They look evenly bright now, barely smaller in size too.

Ganesha

Shiny_Rock

I love the sentiment, and believe it or not, I think they look bigger on your ears in the comparison photo! Congrats, Athena!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, what an improvement! Congrats!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for posting this Athena! Your new old earrings look great! I'm considering having my .78ctw's tweaked some time... they're not bad now, but I do think they could be better. You're inspiring me! :wink2:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow what a difference. Now they sparkle like crazy and you still have the earrings that are very special to you. :appl:

Adrienne2006

Rough_Rock

Wow amazing difference and you got to keep something of sentimental value. I bet alot of people out there would be thrilled if they found out this as an option.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What size are they? They look like a good size on your ears - you definitely couldn't go much bigger for everyday wear! So glad the recut made them super-sparkly!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Wow, what a difference and the size is perfect on you!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

distracts|1367758914|3440652 said:
What size are they? They look like a good size on your ears - you definitely couldn't go much bigger for everyday wear! So glad the recut made them super-sparkly!

They're .88 ctw now (started at 1 ctw). I lost .12ctw with the recut

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Beautiful. The recut sure makes them look bigger on your ear!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Isn't it funny that with a well cut diamond it can be smaller yet look significantly larger? What a great recut!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well done! They look much brighter and really sparkle.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow...what a great makeover!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Great transformation! They look beautiful on you. Enjoy!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

Amazing! (And beautiful!!!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a wise decision! Now you can really enjoy the stones! They look great!!! :love: :appl: And you are right about Jon being passionate about well cut diamonds of all shapes and sizes! Good to know he has a H&A cutter, too!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Wow it is a difference.....started me thinking and that's dangersous lol

Love4Chanel

Rough_Rock

What a smart decision to have them recut. Enjoy them this time around!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results