shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Novo or the Legacy??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mb418

Shiny_Rock
I have been reading a lot of posts here regarding the Novo and the Legacy. If you were to choose one, which one would you pick as an engagement ring?
If you already owned the Novo or the legacy, post a pic (or 15!!) and brag about how nice it is!

If you have tried on either one in person, what do you think about the quality of the cut?

On picture, Tiffany Novo (Left), Tiffany Legacy (Right)

picresized_th_1214607024_novolegacy.jpg

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It all depends on which shape and look the wearer prefers. With either one, I suggest that you look at as many of them as possible because the cut quality can vary. Some Legacies are dazzling and some are very sleepy. Same thing with the Novo. I''m a long time T & Co customer, but I would get a cushion from Cartier or Harry Winston before I would get a Novo.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i agree with madame bijoux that the quality varies widely with both cuts. i''ve tried on some beautiful legacy rings, but haven''t found a novo in store that i love yet (especially at that price).

they''re very different looks, and it depends on your personal style whether you prefer one or the other. the lucida is my all-time favorite, with the classic six-prong coming in a close second, but if i had to choose between the legacy and the novo, i would probably go with the novo for more stacking options.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 7:01:21 AM
Author:mb418
I have been reading a lot of posts here regarding the Novo and the Legacy. If you were to choose one, which one would you pick as an engagement ring?

If you already owned the Novo or the legacy, post a pic (or 15!!) and brag about how nice it is!

If you have tried on either one in person, what do you think about the quality of the cut?

On picture, Tiffany Novo (Left), Tiffany Legacy (Right)

I would pick the Novo for an engagement ring. I tried on the Legacy and felt that it sat up too high for my taste, and I felt that for me there was something to *bulky* about it for an engagement ring. I like it better as a RHR with colored stones. But it also depends on the size of your hands, and length of your fingers. I like the idea that they are unique cuts special only to Tiffany.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
I only have the Legacy as a RHR in a colored stone but I love it. The issue for ering choice comes down to two things:

First, do you want a solitaire or something blingier?

Second, do you want a diamond that sparkles a lot or a little?

The Legacy, particularly the one with "side stones" (a misnomer if ever there was one b/c "side stones" is code for one of the most ornately designed erings I have ever seen) is a very prominent-looking ring. But the eye-catchiness is due to the overall presentation of ring, diamond, design. The diamond itself is a modified cushion cut and heralds back to the Edwardian era. It will not sparkle the way a RB, Lucida, or Novo will. The Novo, on the other hand, is all about the cut. They set it on a thin pave band in order to accentuate the main diamond. It takes more carat weight in a Novo to create the same amount of sparkle in a RB though b/c it is a deeper cut from what I can tell. Both the Novo and the Legacy are patented cuts, but I personally think the Legacy is more important of a cut invention than the Novo. Both are beautiful. If you can decide whether you want a solitaire look or something else, that will help make your decision.

BTW, are you thinking about trading in your Lucida?

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
LEGACY!!!

well im biased since i have a similar looking engagement ring...

but..yea my vote is legacy!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you the giver or the receiver? If the giver, I highly highly suggest that you ask your GF's friends and close family members, or even her, what styles of rings she prefers. These are both VERY VERY different looks and we can all sit here and tell you what we would prefer until we are blue in the face, but they are SO DIFFERENT that it is really important for you to know about HER preferences.

Often halos are polarizing...either you love them or hate them, so it's important to know what she thinks.

If you are the receiver, then ignore the above rant.
1.gif

For me, it's all about the size of the stone. I LOVE the legacy in colored stones OR with diamonds under about a carat. Over a carat or so, I prefer the novo I think (unless it's a colored stone, then I always prefer that)...

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I tried on the Legacy and it really beautiful. So much more delicate than I thought would be.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
At fist glance, and knowing nothing about Tiffany anything, I''m more drawn to the Novo. The stone really pops in that setting and I like the simple lines.

I do agree with neatfreak in that you either love halos or you don''t. If she hasn''t specifically said she likes the halo look, I''d go for the Novo.

Good luck!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
LEGACY!! (hehe, duh, what else would I say)

I have a similar style to the Legacy as well except mine is with a round stone. I''ve seen the Novo in person and although I think it''s a lovely ring, it didn''t sing to me. I absolutely adore the Legacy.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Novo engagement!

Legacy (with the colored gemstone) for my RHR!!!

(in a perfect world of course!)

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Isabelle, you caught me! Well, I am entertaining the idea. Don''t yell at me yet (!)
6.gif
But I know I always like the thin band. I did talk about it with my fiancee, and he knows how much I love the thin band and is ok with me changing it. But it is just an idea for now since Tiffany doesn''t specify a specific period of time that I have to do the trade-in by. (I called Tiffany a few days ago about the policy, so please feel free to ask if you''d like to know)

What initiated the desire was ..... I just love the thin band. My fiancee would get me the matching Lucida ring with the full eternity band. As you see, the wedding band is also thick to match the Lucida. The whole look is actually really nice, but I am not sure if it is what I wanted. The Lucida band is quite $$ as well so before I commit to the ring, I wanted to think about other options.

So I am thinking preliminarily to upgrade to get a Novo or Legacy. I haven''t actually tried them on at all. (When it comes to trying on things in Tiffany, I get rather timid. The staff are either really nice or just downright unfriendly) 2nd idea is the match the Lucida with a thinner band. But knowing me, I know I like the whole "consistent, matching" thing. *Sigh*

Trust me, I don''t want to act spoiled or be unappreciative. (I genuinely hope I don''t come across as such).
8.gif

I really want to LOVE my wedding set and be oh-so-happy whenever I look at it.

I don''t actually know what I would decide to do. Since I absolutely adore the forum and all the ladies here, I thought I want to discuss it here. Please don''t judge! I do feel bad, and I do still love my Lucida and feel incredibly happy and lucky to have been given one!!
26.gif

mb418

Shiny_Rock
The ladies here gave me another idea. Should I keep the Lucida and possibly get the matching ring and get the colored Legacy down the road?

I have been wearing the Lucida for a couple of months now .... everytime I go into Tiffany though, I always go look at the Novo or Legacy.
32.gif
(I basically like the thin eternity band design).

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 10:38:37 AM
Author: mb418
Isabelle, you caught me! Well, I am entertaining the idea. Don''t yell at me yet (!)
6.gif
But I know I always like the thin band. I did talk about it with my fiancee, and he knows how much I love the thin band and is ok with me changing it. But it is just an idea for now since Tiffany doesn''t specify a specific period of time that I have to do the trade-in by. (I called Tiffany a few days ago about the policy, so please feel free to ask if you''d like to know)

What initiated the desire was ..... I just love the thin band. My fiancee would get me the matching Lucida ring with the full eternity band. As you see, the wedding band is also thick to match the Lucida. The whole look is actually really nice, but I am not sure if it is what I wanted. The Lucida band is quite $$ as well so before I commit to the ring, I wanted to think about other options.

So I am thinking preliminarily to upgrade to get a Novo or Legacy. I haven''t actually tried them on at all. (When it comes to trying on things in Tiffany, I get rather timid. The staff are either really nice or just downright unfriendly) 2nd idea is the match the Lucida with a thinner band. But knowing me, I know I like the whole ''consistent, matching'' thing. *Sigh*

Trust me, I don''t want to act spoiled or be unappreciative. (I genuinely hope I don''t come across as such).
8.gif

I really want to LOVE my wedding set and be oh-so-happy whenever I look at it.

I don''t actually know what I would decide to do. Since I absolutely adore the forum and all the ladies here, I thought I want to discuss it here. Please don''t judge! I do feel bad, and I do still love my Lucida and feel incredibly happy and lucky to have been given one!!
26.gif

Girl, you don''t like the Lucida. That''s the plain fact. There is nothing wrong with this. It isn''t for everybody, but it sure is a gorgeous ring. If everyone liked Lucida, they wouldn''t need Legacy, Novo, and all the other shapes out there. You need to trade it in for the Novo b/c that is the ring you want. I can read all this between the lines. Get busy b/c you don''t want them to balk at the exchange. PLEASE post pics of your new, gorgeous ERING ASAP!! :) (PS You don''t come across as spoiled or unappreciative at all. I can see why our FI adores you. No go out there and get the ring you really want. ) :)

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
oh whoops, i didn''t realize you already had the lucida. it sounds like you want the novo + thin eternity bands. it''s a gorgeous look, just be sure to examine as many novos as possible to get the cut you want.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I would pick the Lucida, but it sounds like you love the Novo - and there''s nothing wrong with that!

Get what you love and adore!

mb418

Shiny_Rock
you girls are the BEST! and I mean it. I blogged about other stuff elsewhere, but this is just the most supportive blog site/forum!

Isabelle, I especially appreciate how to-the-point and yet so friendly and supportive you are!

I already sorta made the mistake of waited beyond the 30-day exchange period, so hopefully I will just make up my mind, stick with it, act on it, be happy about it and shut my trap!
41.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 11:31:08 AM
Author: mb418
you girls are the BEST! and I mean it. I blogged about other stuff elsewhere, but this is just the most supportive blog site/forum!

Isabelle, I especially appreciate how to-the-point and yet so friendly and supportive you are!

I already sorta made the mistake of waited beyond the 30-day exchange period, so hopefully I will just make up my mind, stick with it, act on it, be happy about it and shut my trap!
41.gif

They will let you trade it in now especially if you are getting ready to spend more money on a wedding band. They are a business after all! LOL BTW, which Tiffany are you shopping at?

mb418

Shiny_Rock
I have a question about browing engagement rings in Tiffany (or in general). Since I don''t know exactly what I wanted, do I just tell them my price range and what I am interested? My fiancee bought the Lucida and proposed, so I haven''t actually had the experience of trying different engagement rings in Tiffany.

I don''t really understand the color, clarity issue, and it will be likely that I wouldn''t visit a lot of Tiffany stores before making the upgrade since the upgrade has to be done in New York, at the flagship store, because the assoaciate told me on the phone that I purchased the ring outside of the United States, and they don''t usually do international upgrades, so according to her manager, it is like a one-off, and they could do an upgrade only if I go to New York.

So I am thinking if I decide to go ahead with the upgrade, I might phone the associate in advance about my choices so perhaps she would be able to transfer some selections to the flagship store. I might combine this with a holiday trip.

So back to my question ... (sorry about the looooong explanation!), what do I need to tell them and what would I need to know? My fiancee doesn''t know much about diamonds either. If I just tell them my budget and my preference for which design (e.g. Novo or legacy), will they give me choices to look at, maybe a bigger carat size but a lower color/clarify, or smaller carat size or higher quality?

Does it all depend on what they have in stock in the actual store when I visit on the day?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
If it were a larger stone (1.5+) I would get the Novo, under that, probably the Legacy.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re planning this trip well in advance, you can definitely ask them to bring in as many rings that fit your specifications as possible.

Since you''re going to do a trade-in, I think there are specific rules about how much more you have to spend. I''m sure one of the Tiffany owners will know. You could also try consigning the ring with Signed Pieces. I''ve seen 1ct Lucidas (H-I-VS1-ish) go for around $10,000. It depends on Tiffany''s trade-in policy whether it''s worth it to do this or to consign and accept the losses.

Anyway, at the very least you should give them a range of color, carat and clarity. I''m not familiar with the Novo specs, so maybe one of the owners could help with this.

As for color, Tiffany doesn''t go below I, so you''ll probably save money by sticking around the F-I range (I''m partial to F-G). Anything above VS1 is overkill, and again, Tiffany doesn''t go below VS2, so maybe keep that range around VS1-VS2. This way, you can go bigger in carat weight without sacrificing too much in color and clarity.

In the end, you need to rely on your eyes to judge the stone, especially for non-RBs. Ask the SAs if you can look at the rings next to a window (their lighting can be so deceptive, especially with color).

Sounds like a fun project!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Novo for sure. This was originally my dream ring until BF showed me the Tiffany styles he likes for me (now Id rather have one of the styles he likes for me.) Ive tried the Novo on twice but never tried the Legacy on. They are BOTH beautiful though!!
31.gif

Your Lucida is gorgeous. I wouldn't worry about getting something else!!!!!
2.gif
Unless you REALLY want to. But, maybe get the Legacy or Novo wedding band to go with your Lucida. It would look wonderful!

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 11:56:14 AM
Author: UCLABelle
If it were a larger stone (1.5+) I would get the Novo, under that, probably the Legacy.
thanks! I did think about the carat size too since one of the benefits of the halo (besides it being so elegant) is that it makes the center diamond looks bigger!
30.gif
hehe

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 12:14:44 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
Novo for sure. This was originally my dream ring until BF showed me the Tiffany styles he likes for me (now Id rather have one of the styles he likes for me.) Ive tried the Novo on twice but never tried the Legacy on. They are BOTH beautiful though!!
31.gif

Your Lucida is gorgeous. I wouldn''t worry about getting something else!!!!!
2.gif
Unless you REALLY want to. But, maybe get the Legacy or Novo wedding band to go with your Lucida. It would look wonderful!
Would definitely try on the wedding band with the Lucida before comitting to an upgrade. :) Thanks!!!
5.gif

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
I would pick the Nova too.. the legacy is a halo of sorts and i see those EVERYWHERE!!!
Good luck!!! :)

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 12:10:53 PM
Author: erica k
If you''re planning this trip well in advance, you can definitely ask them to bring in as many rings that fit your specifications as possible.

Since you''re going to do a trade-in, I think there are specific rules about how much more you have to spend. I''m sure one of the Tiffany owners will know. You could also try consigning the ring with Signed Pieces. I''ve seen 1ct Lucidas (H-I-VS1-ish) go for around $10,000. It depends on Tiffany''s trade-in policy whether it''s worth it to do this or to consign and accept the losses.

Anyway, at the very least you should give them a range of color, carat and clarity. I''m not familiar with the Novo specs, so maybe one of the owners could help with this.

As for color, Tiffany doesn''t go below I, so you''ll probably save money by sticking around the F-I range (I''m partial to F-G). Anything above VS1 is overkill, and again, Tiffany doesn''t go below VS2, so maybe keep that range around VS1-VS2. This way, you can go bigger in carat weight without sacrificing too much in color and clarity.

In the end, you need to rely on your eyes to judge the stone, especially for non-RBs. Ask the SAs if you can look at the rings next to a window (their lighting can be so deceptive, especially with color).

Sounds like a fun project!
Thanks so much for the detailed response! Really appreciate it. They said I would need to spend double the amount that we originally spent. So this condition definitely makes me think (twice or 10000000 times) harder before taking the plunge. Need to save too now!
25.gif
Also, only one upgrade is allowed.

One thing I don''t like about Tiffany is that they don''t have a universal policy. I really don''t want to fly all the way to NY in order to do an upgrade (though a vacation there will be so nice
28.gif
). I mean they should back up all of the products that they sold everywhere in the world, no??
14.gif

They will also need a day or two to appraise the ring. I don''t know if they will give me a low number, so it depends on that as well.

Has anybody done any upgrade in Tiffany? Please share your experience! Thanks!!
36.gif

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
For me it would be the Novo because I cannot stand a ring that can''t sit flush with the band...
emteeth.gif

I LOVE the Legacy style, but the fact that it has such a wide undercarriage is what kept me from buying T&C, and the bigger the stone (I wanted at least 2.5c) the bigger the undercarriage!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results