shape
carat
color
clarity

the beginnings of my sapphire RHR

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This all started a few months ago when I was looking for a skinny sapphire band (ie not expensive). Hubby and I looked at about a million and we didn't like any of them with my 5-stone. So he came up with a brilliant idea: "You should get a nice sapphire ring for your right hand. It's your birthstone and you've never had a really nice one." I blame him for planting that seed that then lead to me obsessively searching for one I loved.

I flip flopped between styles and realized I loved the vintage look - something else I'd never bought before. Today we purchased the setting and the sapphire from a local B&M store that is a little overpriced and "boutique-y" but has very high quality stuff. They negotiated price quite a bit to get to where we wanted to be. The setting is made by Alisa Unger and is white gold with .20 ctw of F/G VS2 melee. The sapphire is a little over 1 1/4 carat and is the exact shade of blue we wanted (don't have all the specs on it just yet). They are sizing the ring for me and when they set the stone, they will make the prongs as "petite" as possible. They are also doing a full appraisal on it for me.

Thought I'd attach a couple of photos (stone is still unset). I'll pick up the finished ring next week, right before vacation! The prongs look kinda big and chunky right now, but in real life, the ring is very flowing and dainty and feminine. I can't wait to wear it! I'll be sure to come back and post pics of the finished ring (hopefully better photos than these from my iPhone...).

_8033.jpg

sapp2.jpg

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks SDDiamondLover! I'm glad to see some feedback!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a nice setting!!!! I love the colour of your sapphire too!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow that is really beautiful!! :love: Love the pretty details of the setting and the sapphire is lovely!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
That is going to be gorgeous, I bet you can hardly wait. What a sweet husband, encouraging you like that!
I love the blue on that saph.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That sapphire is gorgeous!!!!!! And I love the setting. You must be thrilled!

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful katiedid I love the floral details on the setting :love:

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I was starting to wonder why nobody was commenting - so I'm now feeling better about it! I love it - it is totally different from anything else I have. I think we spent too much on the stone, but we got a good deal on the setting and I wanted to buy the stone locally - I just didn't want to trust online photos and all the hassles of the mail and hoping it would be what we wanted. It's so hard to choose a colored stone online. We had become very picky about the color and once we found this one, we kept coming back to it. Sapphires are so hard to photograph too! It is MUCH more gorgeous in real life than the photos show. It has tons of flashes of light - a tiny amount of violet (which I wanted), no gray, no green, consistent saturation all the way through the stone.

Now the wait is on!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A sapphire is fabulous for a right hand ring. Congrats!! Cant wait to see it completed!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I hope the ring is complete ASAP - I would be going crazy waiting on that beauty!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is just such a perfect color and I am IN LOVE with the setting!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks girls! I am very impatient and can't wait to see it next week!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
YUM!!! Boy, what an awesome setting - gorgeous repro and lots of beautiful details in there!!

and your stone --- :love: --- FABULOUS colour saturation! That really appeals to me!! Enjoy!! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love love LOVE your setting and the sapphire has a great color!! Congrats, katiedid!! :appl:

...more photos, please?? :halo: ;))

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks msop04! I will pick it up Thursday so I'll be sure to post pics on Friday!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
It's just stunning katiedid!! The colour of that sapphire is divine!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah. Yes, colored stone items seem to get less love over here in SMTB than diamond items.

Doesn't matter, that sapphire is AMAZING! Can you give more details? Heated? Unheated? Diameter? Origin?

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks misskittycat and FrekeChild!

I don't have all the details on the sapphire yet - I am assuming heated (I was totally fine with that as long as I could get a beautiful natural stone in the size and color I wanted). It's 1.26 or 1.27 carat, not sure on the mm size but I would guess between 6 and 6.5 mm. It was actually one of a pair of matching stones that the jeweler had set aside for earrings. I didn't like the other one as much - it wasn't quite as uniform in color saturation. I should have more info on it when I get the appraisal and ring on Thursday so I'll be sure to post whatever I get then. I think it might be from Thailand - the jeweler said that's where their gem provider gets a lot of his stones. I'm embarrassed that I don't know more about it but we just loved it so much and I knew it was a natural sapphire, so I didn't bother!

FrekeChild, I'll have to post pics in the colored stone forum when I get it back!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo, gorgeous sapphire and beautiful setting as well! I can't wait to see pics of the finished ring. :appl:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katiedid|1374442642|3487380 said:
thanks Catmom! I drool over your sapphire often!

Awwww thanks katiedid!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see it finished!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results