shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your platinum/white gold mixed with yellow gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 18k yellow gold wedding band and I am looking at WG and platinum "engagement" rings (been married 18 years). I''d like to see some of your beautiful rings and sets that combine the different colored metals for inspiration. My husband thinks that mixing the metals is a weird idea but I like doing things a bit differently and would love some beautiful pics to show him.

I"m home for a snow day (which is so weird to say because I just outside of New Orleans) so I am obsessing about jewelry!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love mixing metals! This was probably brought on by the tri-tone cartier (and others) rolling ring. I like to wear rose gold with white metals (WG/plat, silver too).

I don't have pictures, but I just wanted to tell you that it's not a "weird idea"
2.gif

A lot of people will chime in to tell you, though, that wearing gold (yellow or otherwise) next to platinum for an extended period (such as with a wedding set) will cause issues with rubbing and wearing down one or both of your rings.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
That''s going to be my challenge-the platinum rubbing which I hadn''t even thought about until I found this forum. I may have to go with WG for the engagement ring or come up with some sort of spacer or something-this may require some out of the box thinking and a really good jeweler!

UpgradeMe

Rough_Rock
My current set is a mix. The solitaire was my mom''s and is white gold. When I got married in 94 I got a yg jacket for it and then a wb to match hubbies. You can see a picture in my avatar and I''ll attach a hand shot as well. ;-)

Ok, nevermind. I can''t attach it cause it''s a bit too big but I think I posted it somewhere. I''ll see if I can find it. ;-)

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I love reading your story and seeing the pictures. That is very similar to what I am thinking about doing - WG in the center and YG on either side-and yours is the first I have seen. I really like the way it looks together and your rings are beautiful!

I''m sentimental about mine, too. My husband suggested that I just get a new band and "engagement ring" (I lost my original e-ring) but I am really attached to my band. It''s just a plain YG band but it is engraved with our initials and the date of our wedding and I love wearing it.

Thanks for the link and the input!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 11:20:39 AM
Author:Gayletmom
I have a 18k yellow gold wedding band and I am looking at WG and platinum ''engagement'' rings (been married 18 years). I''d like to see some of your beautiful rings and sets that combine the different colored metals for inspiration. My husband thinks that mixing the metals is a weird idea but I like doing things a bit differently and would love some beautiful pics to show him.

I''m home for a snow day (which is so weird to say because I just outside of New Orleans) so I am obsessing about jewelry!
I love the look of mixed metals. It''s my understanding that wearing different metals side-by-side should be done cautiously because of different densities in metals, but I do enjoy the look! Two tone is also a good option.

Here''s my mix:
http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/picture3229.aspx
http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/picture3225.aspx

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was wedding band shopping, I seriously considered getting a rose gold band with platinum edges custom-made... I''m sure things like that exist, I haven''t happened to find them though.

Maybe that could be a way to side-step the rubbing issue?

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 5:58:33 PM
Author: musey
When I was wedding band shopping, I seriously considered getting a rose gold band with platinum edges custom-made... I''m sure things like that exist, I haven''t happened to find them though.

Maybe that could be a way to side-step the rubbing issue?
That sounds like a plan to me, or a spacer if you don''t mind the look. I believe some alloys of white gold are actually quite hard and will scratch platinum, and that platinum will do the same to high karat golds. My understanding is that rose gold is quite soft due to it''s copper content. I do adore the contrast of pink next to white though.

Here is a pink gold/platinum combo I considered: https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/LKband.jpg

Even if I were completely fearless about mixing metals I just wouldn''t wear white gold next to platinum since the colors seem to clash.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mix my yellow gold with white gold and platinum every single day. I know plenty of people who are jewelers and I have a friend who is a jewelry designer, and no one has ever mentioned a danger in mixing metals because of them rubbing against each other. We all mix our colors of metals. The only thing we have to worry about rubbing is diamond on diamond.

My e-ring is yellow gold with a platinum head and I think everyone is tired of seeing that, so.......

Here is what is on my left wrist every day. One platinum rolo, one yellow gold diamond bracelet and one vintage repro diamond bracelet. My husband is a heart lover and that one was from him last Christmas.

IMG0482.jpg.JPG

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My right hand is sometimes in a rose gold and white gold mood. I love the way rose and white gold look together. My shared prong comfort fit band is so comfy, I don''t even feel it on. My pinky ring is a girlfriend ring that signifies the friendship of five women. It''s an original design and there were only five created, then the mold was destroyed. The five VS diamonds are five points each and all of our rings weigh five grams. I thought that was so neat.

IMG0478.jpg.JPG

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wedding rings...... platinum eternity & 18K yellow gold

IMG_0031.jpg.JPG

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think that''s weird at all either. I actually had a wedding band that was platinum and 18k gold. I''d post pictures but I no longer have it, I got tired of the yellow and white mix. I love rose gold, I think it would look beautiful with platinum and right now I wear a platinum e-ring with two white gold bands on each side.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Here''s mine, Gayletmom.

YG wedding band and a YG/Platinum ER. I love them together.

LS

Foo142.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this is the sort of thing that will help but this is an platinum shank with 18k yellow gold prongs holding a suspended marquise over channel set princess cuts.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''m another one thats all for mixing metals. Actually, pretty much anything I''ve bought lately has been two tone yellow and white gold.
I think the idea that its "strange" is a lil old-fashioned.

Buy what you love and looks good on you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results