shape
carat
color
clarity

Resetting engagement ring to make diamond look bigger

babycurls841

Rough_Rock
I came across this site and although I'm not totally familiar with everything, it seems like just the place for me.

My husband and I recently celebrated our one year wedding anniversary; I did not see the proposal coming. We had casually talked about rings because a few of his friends were getting engaged/married. I sad I like something classic like a solitaire. Truth is, I never really took the time to look at engagement rings, or diamonds for that matter. I tell my husband all the time, that I never realized how much I LOVE diamonds until he proposed and I had one.

My engagement ring is 1.20ct and it was originally set in a thin rounded platinum band. When shopping for a wedding band I realized nothing sat symmetrically with my ring since my engagement ring band was rounded. In any event, I fell in love with a 2ct, three row small brilliant diamond band that I still love, but separately from my engagement ring. I was never happy with the way they looked together and wanted to change my engagement ring band to a flat one. Finally on our one year anniversary we went back to our jewelers and changed my band to a flat band where the prongs sit higher on the ring and small brilliant diamonds on the sides and it is now set in 14k white gold. I am much happier with the way it looks now; however.... I feel bad even saying it because I am truly blessed to have gotten anything at all, and I LOVE my diamond, but... I am seriously considering changing the setting of it to make it look bigger.

I'm 5'6'' and have long skinny fingers, so feel my engagement diamond pretty much gets lost in my hand and especially with my wedding band that is so thick. I've read articles and other threads where people suggest a halo, but my sister in-law has a princess cut halo diamond engagement ring and I don't want to "copy" her. Are there any other suggestions in ways I can set my original diamond to make it look bigger? Finally would you suggest changing my wedding band as well to something that better compliments?

_3.png

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I would suggest a three stone, with your original diamond as the center diamond. It will give you more finger coverage. Enerchi just reset her three stone princess and it is amazing:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-here-she-is-bgd-3-stone-reset-perfection.177313/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-here-she-is-bgd-3-stone-reset-perfection.177313/[/URL]

As far as a wedding band, I would suggest either doing a single row diamond band and use your current band for a blingy right hand ring. :naughty: Alternately, you could wear your current band alone as a wedding band and wear your engagement ring on your right hand, I know some that do this-but not if it is a solitaire, more so if it is a three stone.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, and lovely bling.

I think that your e-ring diamond is getting lost in your wide wedding ring. It will look larger with a smaller wedding band. Halos are a popular way to make a diamond look larger, but I don't think that would look all that nice with your wedding band. I suspect that your wide wedding band will work better as a stand alone ring.

Did you want to keep your wedding band, and just change the e-ring, or are you thinking about having your engagement diamond as part of a new wedding set?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your current e-ring setting, and I actually think it's a great setting for allowing your center stone to stand out.

I love your wedding band, too, but I think it's the reason you feel your stone is getting lost. If I were you, I'd either wear your wedding band alone on your left hand and move your e-ring to your right hand; OR I'd get a thing, plain WG band and wear it on your left hand with your e-ring, and move your original wedding band to your right hand. Either way, I'd wear that original wedding band alone.

While I think some three-stones are really beautiful, they seem to make center stones look smaller to me, not larger. I agree that the finger coverage is great with a three-stone, but I do think the center stones kind of get lost in the ring with three-stones in the same way that they get lost in settings with really thick bands.

Another option would be to reset your stone in a beautiful bezel, which would make it look larger. (Assuming the band remains thin.) Or, there are some really creative settings out there that have embellishments around the center stone, the only setting that comes to mind right now is the Tiffany Ribbon, but there are many.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you're set on wearing your e-ring with the super wide w-band ... a plain beveled solid metal bezel would at least frame the diamond & help it stand out against all the sea of sparkles. I don't think making it a three stone will help -- just will make the whole shebang "busy". And CONFUSING with three square stones and all those rounds? At least just ONE square stone stands out.

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree that if you want to continue to wear the large wedding band, a halo or a bezel is the way to go. I reset my 6 prong solitaire into a bezel 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. Here are a few threads with some comparisons for you.
P.S. WELCOME!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/before-and-after-pictures-of-halo.113213/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/before-and-after-pictures-of-halo.113213/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bezels-before-and-after.125190/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bezels-before-and-after.125190/[/URL]

Luxie

Shiny_Rock
I love your set the way it is! I personally love the blingy look. I cant tell how high your stone sits, but I think diamonds that are set higher appear larger IMHO. On the other hand, if you set it in a halo it would definitely appear larger. With some halos its hard to tell where the diamond ends and the halo begins (seemless) - and the optical illusion would definitely make your diamond appear larger.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think y our ER would POP more if it were in a setting with a plain shank.I think that would look lovely with your wb.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have 2 threads going on this topic. See if the moderator can combine/eliminate 1 of the threads.

babycurls841

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the great ideas and taking the time to respond! Stay tuned... Going to our jeweler probably next Tuesday to talk about different ideas of what we can do. I'll post pictures of some of the options to get your opinion. Also, would I start a different thread for my resetting options or would I respond here? :confused:

I agree with you that said my wedding band would look best alone. As I mentioned in my post, I think I fell in love with it individually, and not at all to really compliment my engagement ring. And what's a girl to complain about when she has an additional diamond ring she can wear on her right hand? :D

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get a plain wedding band. Or halo the engagement ring! If you get a different halo setting than your sister-in-law's, no one will think you are copying! :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results