shape
carat
color
clarity

My JM inspired three stone pear halo ring

KhiraLi

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to show you the first picture I have of my future wedding ring. I’m from Sweden, and here we usually have a very simple engagement ring and spend the most money on the wedding ring. I cheated a little bit and had a 0.45 ct solitaire with side stones as my engagement ring (profile pic) but felt that I wanted to put more money and effort into the wedding ring since that is regarded as the more important ring here. I decided to make a three stone ring with the 0.45 as one of the side stones because then I could start from scratch but could still keep the sentimental things from my engagement ring.

So a three stone ring with 0.45 side stones it is and it made it quite difficult to choose a center stone because I wanted something that would be quite much larger compared to the side stones and the original wedding budget included just a plain band. Since I love halos, I decided that was an easy way to enhance the size of the center. I had a hard time choosing between a cushion, pear or oval but in the end GOG helped me pick a pear.

Then I needed a setting. I looked on tons of three stone rings but three stone rings with a pear is not that common and especially not with halos. I wanted a ring with a vintagey feeling and I fell in love when I first saw James Meyers style. Since I had my own diamonds and some were already in Sweden there was no option but to make the ring here. I brought some inspiration pictures of a James Meyer three stone ring to my jeweller and pictures of some halos I loved and hoped they could make something with even the slightest resemblance. That type of workmanship is no longer common in Sweden since 99% buys plain bands or diamond bands. I was quoted 2700 (gold not included) for the work and all the melees. 600 of this was the cost for creating the setting and the rest for setting the stones.

Today I was asked to come and have a look at the finished setting to approve it before the stones were set. I have so far one picture of the naked setting that doesn’t show all the details but it looks exactly as the pictures I brought and sketches I made. It was a talented young girl in her mid twenties that had created the setting. She had hand forged it and it took an entire week meaning that the initial quote of 600 for the work increased to 3700 and a total cost of 5800. They still promised to honour their first quote though. Lucky me that they don’t do this kind of rings often enough to be able to more accurately determine the time.

The stones are floating over the band very similar to James Meyer’s style but the halo has some more reinforcements. It is connected to the band with gold shaped to an M, since that is the first letter in my fiancées name. All the large stones will be bezel set which I think is important to tie the style together.

Everything will be finished in two weeks and I’m really excited, however my wedding day is in May so it is still quite a while before I can wear it. In the end I would like to have two rings for the “married look” but I have no idea what will fit because the halo will hide most part of an additional band.

IMG_0130_1.jpg

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! The round balls of gold in the corners of each round halo remind me of a James Meyer setting, which I have always loved. It's so neat that you're incorporating your engagement ring center stone into the ring! I can't wait to see the finished product! Congrats! :appl:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I cannot wait to see how this turns out since I am a pears fan.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely design! I love learning about different cultures, thanks for sharing some of yours with us!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice design! It does have a great vintage feel to it - wonderful style!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product and hand shots :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing the finished ring!

KhiraLi

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the nice comments! It has taken me a while to figure out the design since it is not common to mix pears with halos and large round side stones and I was very afraid that I would end up with a ring that looked like it had a mixture of a three different styles or so. It would have been so much easier to just upgrade but keeping my original brilliant was a must for me (it took me half a year to decide on the original ER design).

As for the wedding band, the three stone ring is too small in size for my right hand but I could add a band to the right hand. However I think I will aim for a set on the same finger even if it is just a plain band that isn't even visible. It would be nice to have it for the wedding ceremony but at the other hand I think it's wiser to take my time and check a lot of different options since a design usually has to grow on me. I prefer to have a band on the pointy side of the pear but the halo has a prong from the tip to the band. I will have to measure how much a gap it would be and if a can have a low spacer that fits beneath this prong. Also I wouldn't have a problem with designing a band that has a nick in it or some curvature.

As for the design itself, it would be nice with something more vintage inspired. I'm also a big fan of rose gold but maybe just some details in rose gold rather than an entire band. I like swirly designs with leafs and such and also all the milgrain rings out there. However since I don't have milgrain on the three stone ring, that might look strange, or maybe not :razz:

In the meantime, here are some pics on my pear in different conditions.

pear_3.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone! I love pears :love: Very nice size for your hand

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Love it! It's going to be really special.

I especially like the shape of your pear. If I may ask, how big is it?

I am also in Sweden and boy is it hard and expensive to get this type of engagement ring over here. Who is your jeweler?

I love "seeing" other swedes get this type of rings, makes me feel less alone :naughty: . What made you decide to get this type of ring?

KhiraLi

Rough_Rock
natascha|1329869328|3131237 said:
Love it! It's going to be really special.

I especially like the shape of your pear. If I may ask, how big is it?

I am also in Sweden and boy is it hard and expensive to get this type of engagement ring over here. Who is your jeweler?

I love "seeing" other swedes get this type of rings, makes me feel less alone :naughty: . What made you decide to get this type of ring?

Thanks!

The pear is 1.2 ct and will be surrounded by 1 pointers. The side stones are, as I mentioned earlier 0.45 ct each

My jeweller is Nordstans Guld but I also contacted Artinians Juveler and Jenny Fors. I think Artinians would have made as good job as Nordstans but I live closer to Gothenburg than Stockholm. As for Jenny, I didn't like her attitude and she wanted to spend a lot of time (and money) on drawing the ring in CAD. I already had several drawings in photoshop with correct scale on all details so it felt very unnecessary, especially since I don't think she uses CAD to make a model and later cast the ring.

I started out wanting something quite simple for an ER. Namely Schalins Bern:

bern.jpg

However I changed my mind when Schalins decided to up their prices with 60% just to make it look like a premium brand. I kept looking and stumbled upon James Allen and realized I can get 0.3 ct for the same money as the 2*0.07ct Bern. After that it was no turning back. We bought my 0.63 ctw ER for triple the amount we intended to spend on Bern and after receiving it, I'm hooked on diamonds and spent a lot of time lurking here. Needless to say, looking on all rings on this forum quickly changes your perception of what is "normal" and my taste has gotten more and more extravagant (by Swedish measurements). Looking back, I've always been a large fan of everything that sparkles. When I was a kid I used to collect stones that "looked like" diamonds so my taste is no surprise to me. I will probably head into coloured gems for my next projects.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
gorgeous pear and a lovely yet unusual setting. i can't wait to see it finished. it's going to look seriously special. :appl:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love pears and your ring will be gorgeous! Really awesome concept and I love that you're incorporating your original ER diamond.
Keep us updated!! Can't wait to see the final product.
Enjoy!! :appl: :appl:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I am loving this! I also have a pear from GOG that needs a home. It is getting ready to visit BGD as we speak. Had a long talk with Brian a few weeks ago and he is going to take a bunch of inspiration pics I sent him and work his magic. I love this setting I can't wait to see more! Would you have a profile shot? This design of yours is a cross between all I love! 3stone, bezel vintage everything!! love it!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is going to be gorgeous!!! :love: Since it will be your wedding band, I wouldn't worry about wearing another ring with it. It will be gorgeous standing alone!

KhiraLi

Rough_Rock
Elisateach|1329956019|3132025 said:
I am loving this! I also have a pear from GOG that needs a home. It is getting ready to visit BGD as we speak. Had a long talk with Brian a few weeks ago and he is going to take a bunch of inspiration pics I sent him and work his magic. I love this setting I can't wait to see more! Would you have a profile shot? This design of yours is a cross between all I love! 3stone, bezel vintage everything!! love it!!!

I don't have a profile shot yet which I regret. I was late to an appointment but just had to squeeze in a visit to my jeweller before the weekend and when I tried it on, all I could think of was how ginormous it was on my finger (size 5) and what would my friends/family think. This size and style IS very extravagant in Sweden. In comparison, our royal princesses wear/wore a 2 ct round solitaire and a 2 ct E-W emerald with princess sidestones. I haven't seen anyone with a 1 ct diamond here except in pictures so I know there are some at least.

But, I gave my jeweller pictures of Upgradables JM three stone ring as a reference for the details and how to set the sidestones. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/james-meyer-three-stone-oec.120753/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/james-meyer-three-stone-oec.120753/[/URL] I also gave some additional pictures on bezel set pear halos. In profile, the setting is very similar to Upgradables but it has additional reinforcements under the halo so the three stones are not exactly floating in the same way as the typical JM setting. One of the reinforcements is shaped to an M which my fiancee isn't aware of yet.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, you must come back. I love fancy cuts and your pear looks great.

Kalrik

Shiny_Rock
It's beautiful! And everything fits together so perfectly. You really did a good job designing this! Can you show us a head on picture, but on your hand?

KhiraLi

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I tried to upload one but it keeps uploading another one instead. I will keep trying.

Kalrik

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous. I love the "substantial" look, as you say it. Do you have to wait to wear it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results