shape
carat
color
clarity

Gorgeous Heirloom Diamond Solitaire: Size and Design Help??

lilpico

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I tried to (unsuccessfully) upload this picture earlier this week--I think that I figured it out! :)

Below is a picture of my (soon to be) diamond. I have inherited this from my Grandmother as my engagement stone but unfortunately we do not have the paperwork so need to have appraised.

I am DYING to know approximate size and am somewhat new to the world of diamonds but this one blew me away. Thoughts on the carat weight?

It is set in a 6 claw prong which I love on a platinum band--very simple. My concern is that it is very high set. I really have my heart set on a low profile setting. I was going to do a delicate antique setting but I believe the stone is such a stunner (the picture doesn't capture its brilliance) that I want to stick with a solitaire but with a very low profile setting and thin platinum shank. I can add more bling with stack wedding bands along the way. Thoughts?

Does anyone have thoughts on the best simple, open, low profile setting? I am not into intricate baskets ect....I do love the 6 (I would even go for 8) delicate prong claws.

Any guesstimate on the size would be helpful as well!

Many thanks, diamond masters!

diamond.JPG

lilpico

Rough_Rock
Re: Gorgeous Heirloom Diamond Solitaire: Size and Design Hel

also, here is a picture of me holding the diamond if that helps.

diamond holding.JPG

somedaysunday

Rough_Rock

Hey lil,
What a beauty!! What's your ring size?

shortee78

Shiny_Rock

I cant guess the size, but I can offer recos on my favorite solitaire settings. I love the Vatche Swan and Mark Morrell Petite Torchiere. Both have a look of a solitaire from the top, but have that extra "surprise" loveliness from the side. I call it the "swoopy pretty head". Enjoy your heirloom!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

lilpico

Rough_Rock
Re: Gor geous Heirloom Diamond Solitaire: Size and Design He

thanks everyone!

I am going to try to get my size today. I know that it won't be totally accurate, but just curious.

Any knows on the JBEG Julia or Julia Modified (plain) setting? I love the simplicity or under supports!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Looks to be about 2 - 2.5 ct. to me. Congrats! It's a beauty!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous! Yes, simple sounds best. Low setting is yummy, but be sure the band(s) will sit up against it vs. a gap, IF that matters to you.

lilpico

Rough_Rock

Hi,

As much as I love the low profile, the overall look is very important to me once the bands are added. I think that I am going to have it custom made to be as low as possible without the dreaded "gap".

I have heard various reviews on if the lower setting deters from the sparkle factor. However, this one sure does gleam. I'm hoping the lower setting won't stop that. I am also a bit of a clutz so it is better for me.

oooohh shiny

Rough_Rock

Your stone is pretty, my estimate of size is large!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Lil Misfit|1322749364|3072179 said:
Looks to be about 2 - 2.5 ct. to me. Congrats! It's a beauty!
This is ~my guess too. I am guessing your ring size is ~7-8 and the diamond is ~9mm.

I would seriously consider a BGD re-cut and one of his solitaires for the finished product. He has quite a few gap-free designs.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock

I'd guess in the 9mm range too. Maybe even a scootch above. It would help to know your ring size!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock

My guess is between 2.25 and 2.5. Great size!

Let us know what you find out.

Congratulations!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

iota15|1323003405|3073858 said:
My guess is between 2.25 and 2.5. Great size!

Let us know what you find out.

Congratulations!

Ditto. My guess would be 2ct. Definitely come back and update this thread after you get the appraisal done. :)

Burk

Ideal_Rock

Very pretty stone ! You're a lucky lady! I really love the Julia and actually just got a quote for it from JBEG for my OMC. I think it would be awesome with a couple great stackers! I was going to guess 2ct-2.5 for your stone as well. :)

lilpico

Rough_Rock

Thank you for all of the guesses!!! I will most def. post back to to the thread with all of the specifics after the appraisal.

I'm waiting (ever-so-patiently) for the proposal but after seeing that stunner it is HARD.

I hate to plan things out, but I'm assuming it would be best for me to get proposed to with the ring as-is and then work out the specifics with the jewelers?

Quick question: if i were to go with a setting like the JBEG Julia, would I send Erica my diamond to have set? Or get the setting and have my jeweler set it?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock

I would personally have Erica set it.

What's your ring size?

Burk

Ideal_Rock

You send them your stone. They will design the setting specifically for your stone. I'm sending my stone off tomorrow to them! ;))

lilpico

Rough_Rock

The ring size has been found! I believe that I am a size 7.

Does this help any guesstimates? I love all the guesses by the way.

When the verdict is found I should offer a prize to the winner :)

Thank you all for all of your help!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock

I'm sticking with 9mm. no carat guesses cause I can't tell how spready or not the stone is.

lilpico

Rough_Rock

I don't know if everyone will still get this reply but I just had to respond. I got engaged last week--PERFECT WEATHER in Washington, DC--and it could not be more ideal!!! :) We're very happy.

The stone turned out to be 2.31 carats and it is gorgeous! I ended up getting a remade (local) setting of the Julia Modified by Jewels by Erica Grace. The shank is a bit thinner and it is a bit lower set. I LOVE IT--quite a stunner.

I will try to post pics soon!!!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Congratulations! Please post pictures!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats on the engagement- we would love to see pictures of the finished ring!!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

that must look amazing! can't wait to see pics, and congrats on your engagement.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

lilpico|1331919453|3150098 said:
I don't know if everyone will still get this reply but I just had to respond. I got engaged last week--PERFECT WEATHER in Washington, DC--and it could not be more ideal!!! :) We're very happy.

The stone turned out to be 2.31 carats and it is gorgeous! I ended up getting a remade (local) setting of the Julia Modified by Jewels by Erica Grace. The shank is a bit thinner and it is a bit lower set. I LOVE IT--quite a stunner.

I will try to post pics soon!!!
Congrats! Can you tell us the jeweler who made your setting? I am also in the DC area and would love to know of more good jewelers.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock

Looking forward to dazzling pics!! ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results