shape
carat
color
clarity

.81 OMC in custom antique-inspired rose gold setting

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
:evil: My alternate/every-day e-ring arrived today and it's just what I hoped it would be. I've been wearing a beautiful little 1/3 ct. tranny in a delicate platinum setting as my everyday ering, and it's beautiful, but it's a little small and delicate on my big man-hands (ring size _8_). I've been wanting an OMC to add to my collection, so when I saw one within my modest budget ($2K) and the right size (.75 ct., give or take) from DZ, I bought it. Unfortunately, the diamond was just a little too wonky and the inclusions a little too scary, so I returned it.

I enlisted Dreamer_D's help. She found several possibilities for me, including the inspiration ring, which I wasn't keen on at first. I wouldn't have given it a second look if Dreamer_D hadn't picked it and said some very nice things about it, but I kept going back to it and realized that although it wasn't my style, it was perfect for my requirements: fairly low setting, no fussy little diamonds to get lost, protective of the center diamond. Dreamer_D did tell me that it was overpriced at $2500 and I noticed that the setting was damaged. Before I could make an offer on the ring (which I didn't think would be accepted, based on the seller's history), the ring was sold. I was SO disappointed, even though I wouldn't have paid the asking price for it.

I found and sent back a loose stone then decided to quit with the ebay roulette and contacted Adam at OWD with three diamonds, priced from about $1200 to about $1800, I thought might work for me. To my surprise and delight, he recommended the least expensive of the three, an EGL-USA M VS2 OMB 5.96 x 5.65 x 3.61, 63.9% depth, 47% table.

After looking at various settings and finding nothing that appealed to me as much as the inspiration ring, I contacted Poppyseed at Amcor because I've always like their fishtail setting and I was just going to put the OMC in that, although I wasn't keen on the unprotected girdle. I sent her pictures of the inspiration ring and she mentioned that they could duplicate the inspiration setting. I asked for a price quote and felt that it was very reasonable.

This setting isn't an exact duplicate of the original, but it has the shape and profile that I wanted. I didn't really care about exact duplication of the motifs. I actually like the basket shape of my ring better than the flatter basket of the inspiration setting.

The diamond, the setting, shipping (back to DZ, loose stone back to seller, this loose stone to Amcor), and the lost resizing fee on the first ring still put me under my $2K initial budget for a ring that's exactly what I had in mind. The only fly in the ointment was that it took about 2 months to get the complete ring rather than the 3-4 weeks that was estimated, but two months is not really all that long, in the grand scheme of things.

I really like that the underside of the top of the ring is not completely open. It has reinforcing pieces kind of like the rungs on a ladder which make the ring sit flat on the top of my finger and probably make the setting stronger than if it were open at the bottom.

Vendor photos first, then my photos, then inspiration photos.

liz

rgven01.jpg

rgven02.jpg

rgven03.jpg

rgven04.jpg

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
My photos. The quality isn't that great but they at least give a real-world perspective.

The first two show my GIA 2.06 J SI2 oval set in platinum and the EGL-USA .81 M VS2 OMB set in rose gold. The oval looks cloudy/milky in these photos but it doesn't look at all like that in real life. Size 8 ring finger. I'm really amazed at how untinted the OMB looks.

Then some photos of the ring alone.

rg01.jpg

rg02.jpg

rg03.jpg

rg04.jpg

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Inspiration ring (approximately .8 OMC in white gold setting). You can see some damage in the lower shoulder in the last photo:

_6527.jpg

_6528.jpg

_6529.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is really lovely! I adore the rose gold setting!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Liz, it's just beautiful. I love everything about it. The OMC, the setting, the rose gold. It looks gorgeous on your finger! Wear in health and happiness!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Incredible!! what a beautiful setting and the RG is perfect for that OMC!! Fantastic looking stone too - great job OWD did picking it out for you and fantastic setting choice from Amcor!!

Looks fantastic on your hand!! (I'm a fellow size 8 myself, so I appreciate how tricky it is to find the right balance with size/ function/ design aesthetic)

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love it! The setting is wonderful, the stone looks beautiful too! And the ring looks great on your finger. A piece worth the work and the wait!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
WOW This is the first rose-gold setting that I actually love :love: :love: :love:

Such a beautiful setting, and it really shows the stone to beautiful advantage !!!
Lovely !!!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I can't believe that diamond and setting came in under $2k! You must be thrilled, I think it's beautiful :love: :love: :love:

I love your oval,too! Enjoy!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really turned out great! I'm so happy you got a ring you love.

I also want to say for the record that I was very impressed with OWD's pricing on this OMC! I think it was priced very similar to what you might pay on ebay for a diamond with no report and little valid information about the stone. So a very nice choice, and very nice to know that OWD can find such well priced pretties.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I can't believe that was less than $2K! It's beautiful and I'm sure it was well worth the wait!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out so well liz!!! :love: The setting is beautifully made and I love the stone...it looks great on you! Gorgeous! :love:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I love the rose gold. And, Iove the setting and diamond that you have more so than the inspiration ring, so I'm glad it worked out for you in the long run!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, they made that setting for you custom and the whole thing including the diamond was under $2k? Wow! I really love the setting and it is so pretty in rose gold! I am just amazed at what a good job they did duplicating the original for a low cost!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous inspiration piece! It turned out so well...great piece for a bargain but doesn't look like a bargain piece! Very romantic with the rose gold.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Love low profile settings and this one is exquisite! Really really like it :love: :love:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Your OMC is gorgeous! The repro of the setting is beautiful and I loooooove the RG! :love:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! It looks perfect on you.

As you have gleaned, I am a sucker for RG!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Soooo pretty! And an OMC is RG? Perfection!!!

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous, Libby! :appl: I adore it!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic ring!! I'm amazed that you pulled this off for under $2k. Really impressive.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Amazing ring! The setting is so lovely, and perfectly complements the stone. :love: Wear in good health!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great find! I love the setting as well. The whole ring is beautiful!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely and I love it in rose gold! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results