shape
carat
color
clarity

WINK JONES makes customers VERY HAPPY!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
I've been putting off writing everything up for a little bit now (as I really want to post some pictures with this thread), but I really wanted to share my experience in hunting for a diamond & finally purchasing one through Winfields...

My search (and education here at PS) started ~ in November of last year & really kicked up a notch in May or June. My obnoxiously broad search parameters were: .54-.89, D-J, IF-VS2 (at least to start).... in browsing Good old Gold & interacting with DirtCheap (who were extremely helpful themselves - scanning & emailing at least 10 certs & sarins), I was able to narrow down exactly what I was looking for (something more in the .6-.75 range, with near perfect visual symmetry (Patty's IS image is quite stunning) & slight-med blue fluor (fire&ice's posts convinced me after a while)).....

I also worked with a few local B&Ms... primarily Kortz jewelers here in Denver, CO.... I don't really have any beef with them (as some of their staff were friendly & helpful) - but I did grow tired of having the owner argue with me that "that's not what you want" or "nobody searches for diamonds like that" and my (least) favorite "you're just wrong - diamonds are not cut like that (when I told them that I wanted a stone that was super-symmetrical." Their prices are high, etc. and were a bit peeved that I was searching on the internet - however, they did agree to set any stone I bought from the net & were receptive to the HCA when I showed it to them (after they brought in a very dull looking .75 / G / VVS2 ($4500) - which (after a little checking) scored a HCA of 3.8!)... I'd recommend them to anyone in the Denver area that wanted good service from a B&M (much more so than Walters & Hogsett in Boulder).

I digress. The search had me busy (and with so many stones in that area, and not wanting to leave out non-AGS0s (for both the price break & the larger tables that are possible) I spent quite a bit of time doing my homework, looking at certs & contacting different vendors about what I wanted.

After narrowly missing out on some really interesting stones, and starting to give up a bit on finding anything that was already cut on the market that would fit everything I wanted, I started talking to Eightstar and about the same time got into a thread about levels of blue fluorescence. A very generous offer was made by quaeritur to meet up and look at stones that had been shipped to her to help her make up her mind (that all had medium to strong blue fluor)..... I was amazed that I was offered the opportunity, gladly accepted (and made a new friend), and regained the confidence that my search was not in vain.

After that discussion (and after getting some great responses to my thread Having Trouble Finding the Right Stone) and a great suggestion by chialea - I gave Wink a call and was immediately impressed by how easy to talk to he was (I think we spoke for a good 2 hours (at least!)), how incredibly knowledgable he was (and willing to share that information), and that he didn't try to push anything that he had in stock - in other words, the exact opposite experience from dealing with B&Ms and one other online vendor (who I believe I caught at a bad time)....

He mentioned to me that he had a stone that fit what I was looking for & carefully scrutinized it as well as sent me pictures (immediately) of the IS image (which I will post soon).... stunning. really. He also took a minute to walk outside with the stone & 'dazed and blind' he made it back to the phone that the best description of the stone in full sunlight was that it was 'powder blue' (lasers may have been mentioned as well
1.gif
).....

More than a little curious (and REALLY excited by the IS image that he had photographed), I made the arrangements to have it sent.... WOW. really WOW WOW WOW.... (I PROMISE I'll post the stats & hopefully some pictures tomorrow).... I had quaeritur review my tenative purchase with me as well & we stared into it (and debated whether the direct sun color of it was powder blue, cornflower blue, lilac or something in between) for a number of hours on different occations.

In any case... I recently closed the purchase & will post the stats very soon, as well as the second part of the story where I had to scrutinize everything about the stone (and the point at which I gave up trying to find the inclusions that my 'eagle eyes' still haven't found)....

I just wanted to thank Wink for his help in finding such an amazing stone, quaeritur (and her patient husband) for everything kind they've done & PS for the education. If anyone is looking for the BEST service from a vendor (that makes you want to buy diamonds every month to both be a repeat customer & see what other amazing stones appear) - look to Wink Jones at Winfield's...

http://www.winkjones.com/ (and as I see it, the motto on the right side of the page should read: "Quality, Beauty & WINK: The Absolute Key(s) to Shopping Happiness!")

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
What a GREAT story! Thanks for sharing. The stone sounds simply amazing... we will eagerly wait for photos!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

WOO HOO, way to go, Wink!
appl.gif

Lynn

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! Sounds like you had a great experience that will help other pricescopers!!!

Can't wait to see the pics!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Whoo Hoo wanderlost! I can't wait to see the stone you ended up with! And yes,
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
for Wink!

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! I cannot wait to see pics. I always get excited when I hear about others who like fluorescence in their stones.

My diamond glows a gorgeous shade of 'cornflower' blue in the sun - and sparkles like crazy.

I love showing my friends, who are programmed to hate fluorescence, how beautiful it can be.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the kind words, they are truly appreciated.

This is indeed a magical stone with strong blue fluorescence. It is a beautiful with an HCA of 0.6 if I remember correctly. Sharp crisp H&A cut with stunning light return and when you take it out of doors the fluorescence makes it a wonderful blue color with a hint of lavender that is very hard to describe. At the 5 or 6 thousand feet that Wonderlost lives at it should be even a stronger color than at the 2,800 feet where I live.

I applaud Wonderlost for knowing what he wanted and for not being intimidated by the "evil" fluorescence that actually makes this stone so incredibly special. (I just sold an E color Jubilee to a local client with strong blue, so eat your heart out Jubilee lovers!) Nice to see someone have the courage to vote with their eyes, and not just by what other people tell them they should like.

Rhino, I appreciate your kind words too. I look forward to the day when I have even a fraction of the happy clients that you have made over the years. I have some catching up to do, but I love working here where the vendors compete like heck, then turn around and help each other when ever they can. It is such a big part of what makes Pricescope special!

Wink

Wink

JC

Shiny_Rock
CONGRATS wanderlost!!! Also, thanks for the kind words about DCD in your post. Much appreciated. We are glad that we could be of assistance. It looks like you found yourself a winner....

appl.gif

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
piece by piece I'll get this up here....

Sorry for the delay, but here's all the stats that I have rounded up on the stone...

G
VS1
5.62 - 5.66 x 3.47 mm
and strong blue fluorescence that borders on very strong (as per Tom Taschy)
or strong blue that borders on radioactive as per denverappraiser
1.gif

(major grader) inclusions: 2 small crystals (one is .05 mm, the other .0375 mm) both very near each other - located near the edge of the table (as my pics will show too - I have yet to actually find these inclusions, I don't know what it is, but the one time I nearly pinned them down, I rotated the stone just a degree or two, and I completely lost them again in the pavillion facets.

Another neat thing to note is that there is a very minute natural on the girdle (somehow I've never seen a thread on naturals here!) just a little line that runs the length of one facet on the girdle, but really neat to see part of the exterior of the original rough on the stone (even if it's only visable at 30x)...

Depth: 61.57
Table: 57
Crown: 34.5*
Pavil: 40.5*

and just as Wink said, a HCA of 0.6

It's amazing & I'm really hoping to get a ton of pictures of it here in the next day or two posted here. I promise about that time to tell of how I double-triple-quadruple-etc. guessed myself on it too & even got a second (and third) opinion on it.....

Not that I'm crazy or anything, I just wanted to be sure as I could that even in diamonds' subjective grading that the grade was reproducible. *lol* Ok, I may have been a little crazy for a while there....

More to come soon!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results