shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s better for prongs, plat. or gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I think the answer will depend on who you ask. I wouldn''t use yellow gold for prongs though. I remember a post where Gary said that plat was the bees knees! I have a yellow gold band, plat head.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see hand shots of your ring! I don''t know why but the two metals mixed together is stunning.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to take handshots!!! I am going crazy!

6.gif
My manners! Thankyou! I am quite fond of the buttery yellow gold too! I just wanna wear it * stomping foot and having a tanty*

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it depends on opinion. Even so as Honey said, you need to get white metal for prongs, as yellow may not show off the centre diamond to it''s best advantage. I have always had WG for my rings prongs for years and they have held up extremely well.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I should rephrase my question for the forum. What are the differences?

For example, white gold is harder (harder but not as dense?) so does that mean it's more secure than platinum?
Is it the case that platinum will bend therefore protecting the diamond?

I guess what I'd like to know are the advantages and disadvantages!
3.gif

Yellow color may be a disadvantage. I personally don't like the look of yellow prongs so I wouldn't have it.

White gold wears well. Primarily what I want is something that can be set and not have to be messed with- with light wear.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I haven't read the thread yet but I'm thinking they mean bending is good for the same reason a car has crumple zones? But somehow I'm thinking that white gold would be more secure because I don't think of secure as bending- like it would be more solid. I'll read the thread now.

Edit, ok, I've read it. Frankly, to me I don't think it would matter either way. I'm really more interested in how securely it holds the diamond and there doesn't seem to be a difference than what happens if the ring is slammed in a car door. Thanks, Lorelei!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the most common reason a prong has too be replaced?
I dont have numbers but a big one is they are cut and it dont matter one bit if they are gold or plat when they get hit by a semi-sharp knife at high force.
Another is that they snag and get bent, plat bends easier but gold breaks easier so its a toss up.
Another is they get crushed, maybe just maybe plat will transfer less energy to the stone but when crushed hard enough there isnt really any difference.
Iv been really happy with stuller 14kX1 for prongs and will use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results