shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I upgrade or go for diamond stud earrings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

metro

Brilliant_Rock

I’d really love your opinion…..

DH and I are approaching our wedding anniversary. I mentioned how it would be nice to get that special pair of diamond studs as a gift, since I don’t own a pair. DH said that would be fine. I have a budget of around $1300.

Well, after much thought I started thing – hmmm, maybe I should upgrade my e-ring diamond instead. DH said that would be fine too – whatever I wanted as long as it’s within our budget.

I currently have a .52 ct with less than perfect specs:

Here are the specs:
Certificate UG040336110
Weight 0.52 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color E
Clarity SI1
Measurements 5.14 - 5.11 x 3.26 mm
Depth 63.6
Table 56.0
Crown 15.8
Pavilion 44.0
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE

However, in November I had a custom halo setting made to emphasis my stone. I love my halo! So if I get an upgraded stone then I’ll have to have my halo re-made to fit the new stone.

Here’s the stone I’m considering – it’s a cost of $1100.00 additional with my trade-in.

Certificate 83784905D
Weight 0.76 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color F
Clarity VS2
Measurements 5.95 - 5.9 x 3.6 mm
Depth 60.8
Table 57.0
Crown 14.7
Pavilion 42.9
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM FACETED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Cut Grade IDEAL PLUS
Lot HOF
Comments INSCRIBED: HEARTS ON FIRE 9720
UGS Appraisal Value $7070.00

I went to my jeweler yesterday and he said that redoing my halo would be “minimal cost – paying for labor”. I said so around a couple hundred and he replied yes.

So – what do you think? What should I do? Should I go for the upgraded stone? I realize the size difference isn’t great but the stone quality is.

Or should I go for the studs?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I''d go for studs, save for another big anni and then upgrade the ring.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d upgrade your e-ring stone first...especially since you''ve already found a stone you really like and your jeweler says it won''t be a huge ordeal to redo your setting. Plus you''re getting one larger, better stone for your budget rather than two smaller stones.

metro

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, it''s so hard to decide!

Let me also throw out there that my ring size is a 3. With my .52 in a halo, it shows at about 8mm on my finger. To the eye it looks nice and big. So size really isn''t my reason why I’d like to upgrade (though bigger is always nice

2.gif
) Really, I just want all the fire and sparkle that comes with a well cut stone. That''s what I''m really after. But is it worth $1200?

As far as the earrings go - I have a pair of studs I wear almost everyday that I purchased from QVC and they are not real. The measure about 5mm each, so that''s the size I''m use to seeing on my ear. Should I go with the earring studs, I’m leaning towards WF RSG martini''s in .70ctw.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 11:05:41 AM
Author: metro

Oh, it's so hard to decide!

Let me also throw out there that my ring size is a 3. With my .52 in a halo, it shows at about 8mm on my finger. To the eye it looks nice and big. So size really isn't my reason why I’d like to upgrade (though bigger is always nice

2.gif
) Really, I just want all the fire and sparkle that comes with a well cut stone. That's what I'm really after. But is it worth $1200?

As far as the earrings go - I have a pair of studs I wear almost everyday that I purchased from QVC and they are not real. The measure about 5mm each, so that's the size I'm use to seeing on my ear. Should I go with the earring studs, I’m leaning towards WF RSG martini's in .70ctw.
Hmm, well, this is tough. I suggested the studs so you'd have bling in two places.

If it's the stone you're not happy with, not the size, I might change my suggestion. You'll see your ring, you won't see the studs much. Although they sure do make ya feel purty wearing them.

Do you feel your stone is lacking a lot? And will the place you upgrade be able to get you a killer stone?

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 11:17:32 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 5/31/2007 11:05:41 AM

Oh, it''s so hard to decide!

Let me also throw out there that my ring size is a 3. With my .52 in a halo, it shows at about 8mm on my finger. To the eye it looks nice and big. So size really isn''t my reason why I’d like to upgrade (though bigger is always nice

2.gif
) Really, I just want all the fire and sparkle that comes with a well cut stone. That''s what I''m really after. But is it worth $1200?

As far as the earrings go - I have a pair of studs I wear almost everyday that I purchased from QVC and they are not real. The measure about 5mm each, so that''s the size I''m use to seeing on my ear. Should I go with the earring studs, I’m leaning towards WF RSG martini''s in .70ctw.
Hmm, well, this is tough. I suggested the studs so you''d have bling in two places.

If it''s the stone you''re not happy with, not the size, I might change my suggestion. You''ll see your ring, you won''t see the studs much. Although they sure do make ya feel purty wearing them.

Do you feel your stone is lacking a lot? And will the place you upgrade be able to get you a killer stone?

My diamond, being a little deep, I feel lacks some fire. The halo sure does add a lot of sparkle to the ring, but I often find myself looking at my stone and thinking I’m missing out.

My husband purchased my stone from a B&M store in another city so before I made the 2.5 hour drive; I want to have a few options lined up. I can trade-up at anytime, as long as it’s at least $100.00 more and it’s a stone they have in stock.

Initially, I started looking at stones the same size - .52 just an ideal cut. But my husband suggested that if I trade-up, I might as well “trade-UP” to a bigger size.

The .52 stone with perfect numbers would cost me $850 trade-up.

The .76 would cost me $1100 plus the cost of the halo adjustment – a couple hundred I suspect.

How much fire do you think I’m missing out on by having a deep cut stone? I guess that’s the question. And is it’s worth the expense?

Picture metroupdatedring2928.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone looks very bright and pretty in the picture. As for fire performance, we really can''t tell without seeing the stone in person, have an Idealscope or have all the numbers and angles. Some deep stones have lots of fire because the depth is in the crown, so a deeper stone does not necessarily trade off its depth for fire.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the bigger stone in you ring. Esp. since it will be a better cut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are planning to upgrade to an excellent cut stone, and your setting can handle the size increase, I see no reason to stay the same size.
11.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the stats on your stone?

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I would upgrade your ering to the 0.76 ct for two reasons. One, you are not 100% happy with your current diamond. And two, a diamond on your hand you'll see everyday. Diamond studs, you won't. I say the studs can wait for another anniversary.
9.gif

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 12:27:08 PM

The stats of my current stone:

Certificate UG040336110
Weight 0.52 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color E
Clarity SI1
Measurements 5.14 - 5.11 x 3.26 mm
Depth 63.6
Table 56.0
Crown 15.8
Pavilion 44.0
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE

The stone I''m considering:

Certificate 83784905D
Weight 0.76 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color F
Clarity VS2
Depth 60.8
Table 57.0
Crown 14.7
Pavilion 42.9
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Cut Grade IDEAL PLUS
Lot HOF

Using the diamond calc, it looks as though the stone I''m considering is very good -right? And plugging in the numbers from my current stone is not so good

7.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2007 12:41:27 PM

The stone I'm considering:

Lot HOF
Are you really getting a HOF stone? They have a huge markup - so pricy that they are nicknamed Wallets on Fire here on PS. I'm sure you can find other great stones without the branding.

Original stone HCA = 5
New stone HCA = 0.8

I wish you had the angles instead of % for a more accurate calculation.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Metro, Chrono''s right. HOF are just so expensive. Does your jeweler carry any unbranded AGS000 stones?

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 12:44:48 PM
Author: Chrono

Lot HOF
Are you really getting a HOF stone? They have a huge markup - so pricy that they are nicknamed Wallets on Fire here on PS. I''m sure you can find other great stones without the branding.
Great question! When I saw the HOF instription I called the jeweler and asked the same question because I was told that they no longer sell branded diamonds.

Short answer yes - this is a HOF diamond. It was a trade-in. She also said that there is a slight mark-up on this stone but it''s not a pricey as other HOF''s, whatever that means....

She also said that because I gave her such strict parameters with cut that this was the BEST cut diamond she has in house that meets my criteria.

I was sent another option for a .66 stone as as soon as I find that cert information I''ll post it.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
I''d get the studs now. If you just put a halo on your ring in November, and to me, it looks huge on your finger. When DSS sets in, then you can get a new stone for your ering.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 12:56:03 PM
Metro, Chrono''s right. HOF are just so expensive. Does your jeweler carry any unbranded AGS000 stones?
So that''s the term I need to ask for "unbranded AGS000 stones".

I asked her to send me no brand names stones which she''s going to send tomorrow via email since she''s is not in the office today.

We''ll see...

So don''t go for the HOF diamond?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Metro,
Just a FYI if you haven't done a pricing comparison to check how much the "used" HOF is selling for:
0.73 F VS2 from JA $3K
0.76 F VS2 from WF (ACA) $3.5K

If the pricing is competitive and in-line with these web offerings, I'd say go ahead with the HOF stone. If it is MUCH more, I'd stick with unbranded AGS0 cuts.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 1:02:57 PM

So that's the term I need to ask for 'unbranded AGS000 stones'.

I asked her to send me no brand names stones which she's going to send tomorrow via email since she's is not in the office today.

We'll see...

So don't go for the HOF diamond?
Yes, and make sure they are currently graded, with the LIGHT PERFORMANCE grade. That will get you a pretty stone without the guesswork.
28.gif

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 1:06:33 PM

So that''s the term I need to ask for ''unbranded AGS000 stones''.

I asked her to send me no brand names stones which she''s going to send tomorrow via email since she''s is not in the office today.

We''ll see...

Yes, and make sure they are currently graded, with the LIGHT PERFORMANCE grade. That will get you a pretty stone without the guesswork.
28.gif

When you say currently graded what does that mean? Does that mean that it''s been to the GIA or EGL lab in recent years? And what is a "LIGHT PERFORMANCE" grade? Is that something on the cert or is that something seperate?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the compliment. I love my Jubilee a lot and wish they are being cut again because I wanna upgrade too.
emembarrassed.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 1:09:48 PM

We''ll see...

28.gif

When you say currently graded what does that mean? Does that mean that it''s been to the GIA or EGL lab in recent years? And what is a ''LIGHT PERFORMANCE'' grade? Is that something on the cert or is that something seperate?
AGS is the only one that grades a diamonds light performance. Yes, it will be on the certificate. There are still some stones floating around with older certs that don''t have the light performance grade, you don''t want those.

On the cert, on the left hand side, it will look like this:

Cut Grade

Light performance 0

Proportion Factors 0

Finish:

Polish Ideal

Symmetry Ideal

You want it to read exactly like that.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 1:19:28 PM

Date: 5/31/2007 1:09:48 PM

We''ll see...

28.gif

When you say currently graded what does that mean? Does that mean that it''s been to the GIA or EGL lab in recent years? And what is a ''LIGHT PERFORMANCE'' grade? Is that something on the cert or is that something seperate?
AGS is the only one that grades a diamonds light performance. Yes, it will be on the certificate. There are still some stones floating around with older certs that don''t have the light performance grade, you don''t want those.

On the cert, on the left hand side, it will look like this:

Cut Grade

Light performance 0

Proportion Factors 0

Finish:

Polish Ideal

Symmetry Ideal

You want it to read exactly like that.
Thank you!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you upgraded your ring now, do you think you would still get the upgrade bug in a couple of years? If so, then I''d get earrings and save up until you can afford a whole new ring with a 1 carat well cut stone in your setting to ward off the future bug. If you think you''ll be satisfied if you upgrade, then I''d go for that. Honestly, the ring is showing nice fire already...but it seems to be bugging you, and it''s hard to get rid of that feeling.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 1:21:32 PM

Thank you!
You''re welcome metro.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oooo, if it''s not a lot more money I''d jump on the HOF. It''s not every day something like that is traded in and available, but that''s just my opinion. I would still definitely upgrade the ring. I want to see my bling because it''s for ME not my friends, family, coworkers, etc. The earrings you have are probably just fine. Remember they get dirtier because of the oils on your ear, your hair products, etc., and they aren''t as convenient to clean.

I would be so psyched to find an affordable HOF. I''m not really into branded things, but I''d be just as excited over a Coach bag for a great deal, too.

Moikoi

Rough_Rock

Date: 5/31/2007 12:27:08 PM

Certificate 83784905D
Weight 0.76 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color F
Clarity VS2
Depth 60.8
Table 57.0
Crown 14.7
Pavilion 42.9
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Cut Grade IDEAL PLUS
Lot HOF

Using the diamond calc, it looks as though the stone I''m considering is very good -right? And plugging in the numbers from my current stone is not so good

7.gif

this looks like an EGL graded stone.
2.gif
All HoF stones are 0 cut graded by AGS.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 1:25:22 PM
Author: kcoursolle
If you upgraded your ring now, do you think you would still get the upgrade bug in a couple of years? If so, then I''d get earrings and save up until you can afford a whole new ring with a 1 carat well cut stone in your setting to ward off the future bug. If you think you''ll be satisfied if you upgrade, then I''d go for that. Honestly, the ring is showing nice fire already...but it seems to be bugging you, and it''s hard to get rid of that feeling.
It''s hard to predict how things with play out years from now. Honestly, I can''t say that I would never want a bigger stone.
31.gif

I''ve been with my .52 for six years now and and have been happy and proud of my diamond. It wasn''t until I discovered PS that I started to get a little DSS
38.gif
. But when I got my halo I was WOW''d all over again.
30.gif

I''m 99% happy with what I have. I guess I''m just obsessing with the numbers and I don''t want to be missing out on blingage.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 12:28:10 AM
Author: lumpkin
Oooo, if it''s not a lot more money I''d jump on the HOF. It''s not every day something like that is traded in and available, but that''s just my opinion. I would still definitely upgrade the ring. I want to see my bling because it''s for ME not my friends, family, coworkers, etc. The earrings you have are probably just fine. Remember they get dirtier because of the oils on your ear, your hair products, etc., and they aren''t as convenient to clean.

I would be so psyched to find an affordable HOF. I''m not really into branded things, but I''d be just as excited over a Coach bag for a great deal, too.

Your excitement is a little contagious! Is this a good deal?
What is the deal with HOF? Why are they so special?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results