shape
carat
color
clarity

Shady move by GOG...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

andruw000

Rough_Rock
i would like to share an interesting story with you about my experience with GOG...

about one month ago i contacted GOG about an asscher i was interested in. i was emailed back promptly by sarah, who provided me with the information i needed. the stone i am referring to is...

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3692/

she told me that both she and her father gave the asscher a ''thumbs-up'' and said that it''s as beautiful as you can get in the $5000-$6000 price range.

i then spent about the next three weeks looking over different options, including other asschers on their website. about three weeks after the initial email, i watched a video online that showed off another asscher that john claimed to be a great stone. i checked their site for it and not only did it have nice specs but it was $2000 less than the original stone i had asked about! of course, i''m thrilled!

the second asscher can be found here...

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3875/

so, i decided to email sarah about the second, less expensive asscher. this email occurred about three weeks after the initial email about the ''3692'' asscher.

here is a copy of the email concerning the second (cheaper) asscher (3875)...

Hi Sarah,

Thanks in advance for all the help you''ve provided me.
I have yet another question concerning a different
Asscher from your site. I was looking at Asscher
#3875. Jonathan seems to be pretty high on it in the
video from the product page. Seeing that it is
significantly less expensive than the F-VS2 I''ve been
looking at, I was wondering how they might compare
against one another? There is no question my number
one concern is getting the best Asscher, but the price
difference is significant enough to warrant further
deliberation. Do you also believe the #3875 Assher is
eye-clean? Thanks again!

- Andrew

that email was sent sunday, april 13, and according to their website, was still available for sale.

here is the response i received on monday afternoon, april 14...

Hey Andrew,
> It is totally eye-clean, beautiful and sold! But you
> are totally fine with
> the VS2 it is a beauty and the price I quoted you
> for it on a bankwire $6210
> (one month ago) is valid for 24 hours longer. My
> father changed it in the
> database.
>
> Sincerely,
> Sarah
> (516) 798 5151 ext 304
> www.goodoldgold.com

i found it awfully strange the stone, which was available on sunday, was suddenly sold on monday. when i asked her about this, her response was...

> ....The 1.04 was sold this morning.
>
> Sincerely,
> Sarah
> (516) 798 5151 ext 304
> www.goodoldgold.com

sure enough, once i received her email and typed in the URL of the second asscher i was greeted by a message at the top of the screen that said "Sorry, this diamond has been sold." so, the second asscher that was $2000 less was suddenly sold. obviously, it seemed odd to me that the second i showed interest in a cheaper stone it was ''sold'' the next morning (mind you, it said SOLD, not RESERVED). i then emailed sarah that same afternoon (april 14) explaining that at this time i wasn''t ready to purchase the initial stone, but did say i when i was ready i wanted to buy my asscher from them. in that same email i included a few more questions about the asscher i first emailed her about (3692). i never received another email from sarah/GOG after that...

fast forward to this afternoon (april 25). i was on GOG''s website to see if any new asschers had be added to their site.

WHAT DO I FIND...

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3875/ is magically available again!!

so, let me recap for you...

i show interest in one asscher. they think they will make a sale. i don''t reply for a month. then i send another email telling them i''m interested in a different asscher that is $2000 less than the initial stone. i''m told the cheaper stone suddenly sold but the first one is still available for me. i tell them i''m not ready to buy. i never here from them again. the second stone that was SOLD is somehow UNSOLD and available for purchase again.

one word:

SHADY.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
A month is a long time to wait to pull the trigger on a stone. And if you told them you weren''t ready to buy, what did you expect them to do? Communicate with you even though you said you weren''t ready?
33.gif

I''m also confused as to why you''d be surprised that a stone could be bought and the appear again for sale, considering that people regularly will buy a stone, inspect it, and then decide (for whatever reason) it isn''t for them and send it back. I''ve read dozens and dozens of threads here of people doing that. Doesn''t mean that GOG has done anything shady at all, as I see it.
40.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Several PSr''s have purchased stones and returned them later. Someone has a serious case of watching too much X-files
20.gif

clop

Shiny_Rock
Hi Andruw000,

Sorry to hear, but I think there is a reasonable explanation. Perhaps the person who purchased the second stone returned it (there is a 30 day return policy)? I only offer this because I was in a similar situation - but I was the purchaser/returner.

I reserved/purchased a very nice stone, but was slightly bothered by the darkness in the table/interior. It was slight enough that we went ahead and paid for it, with the intentions of upgrading at a later time. Unfortunately, the jeweler that I spoke with could not recommend resetting another stone later, so we decided to wait for one we would not upgrade.

I know at the time there were several people looking a stone with similar specs as I was. Seeing the two stones you listed are about 1 ct, which is a pretty popular ct weight, I think it''s possible there were several people interested.

My interactions with GOG have been nothing but pleasant and straightforward. Jon has been/is great, and very accommodating. Hope that helps.

Good luck on your stone search! The two listed are quite lovely.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I have to speak up here because i just went to GOG a few weeks ago on a Saturday. I arrived first thing at 10 am when they opened and looked at diamonds with Jonathan until lunch time. From the minute they opened - the store was PACKED with customers and sales people were coming over to jonathan asking if he had this stone or that stone in his pockets. It was very impressive because you could tell the people there were ready to buy and not just a bunch of lookers.

Jon emphasized MANY times that one of the great things about his store is you can take the stone home, look at it, wear it, check it out in all different lighting... and if you do not like it you can RETURN it for full refund within 30 days. I myself at different times have had at least 5 stones purchased and in my possession this past year and I have returned them all except one.

So someone bought that stone because it was an amazing price and they probably understaood a nice asscher is hard to find! The store is CLOSED on Sunday and Monday so maybe the web site did not get updated from the saturday purchase right away because it is normal that folks might need a day or two OFF FROM WORK.

Maybe the purchaser decided on a different shape, or larger stone, or whatever and had the luxury to return it.

So now... IT IS YOUR GOOD FORTUNE that it is available for sale.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I've never worked with GOG but I honestly don't see what's so shady about it. A similar thing happened with me and my FF when we were trying to buy a stone from Whiteflash. I saw one, I told FF to get it, he waited too long (literally a few hours) and the stone was gone. We didn't even get a chance to talk to a person. Another stone we saw, we tried to reserve, even got a hold of someone. We thought it was ours only to find out, it was sold. About a day or so later, we're looking at other options and find out the stone is back because the original buyer no longer wanted it. I mean it's a constant cycle. If you see a good deal you need to snap it up quick. I really don't think anyone is trying to swindle you out of your cash, a sale is a sale. If the stone is available and you want it, why wouldn't they sell it to you? I'm sure someone else will come around to by the more expensive stone you didn't want.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Just a couple of thoughts - first, I don''t think GOG is trying to conspire against you - if you saw the diamond you were interested in on GOG''s video, goodness knows how many other people saw it too, and somebody pulled the trigger and bought it. And probably returned it, as other posters said - with the liberal return policy, I think many people are more likely to buy a stone and see it in person/have it appraised vs. take a chance on losing out on a good stone. These are big purchases and while you should take as much time as you need personally to get comfortable, you have to realize the market keeps moving. Given the economy and the fluctuating prices of diamonds I think it''s nice they honored the price on the first stone for as long as they did, and agree with the post above - it''s hard to fault them for lack of communication when you said you weren''t ready to move forward.
33.gif
Good luck finding the right Asscher for you!
1.gif

EmeraldCutQuest

Shiny_Rock
I have never had the opportunity to deal with GOG, but based on everything that I have heard, would not hesitate in the least bit if the situation arose.

You need to be very careful when you acuse, or imply, that someone is acting ''shady'' or in bad faith. GOG does far too much business, and the margins on a $4K or $6K stone are NOT worth jeopardizing the reputation and good standing. There may be many reasons why things developed as they did. Did it occurr to you that the stone actually WAS sold and returned? Or sold and then the person changed his/her mind before receiving it? Or, at worse, just and honest mistake? Try to contact them and see if they can share some details. I believe that it is highly unlikely that they were out to ''get you''.

--ECQ.

ajl

Shiny_Rock
I recently put a hold on a cushion cut. I asked Jonathon to recommend a square hearts and arrows that I could compare it to. He sent me a link to a very, very nice stone that was LESS expensive than the one I had on hold! I bet someday bought and returned the stone you were looking at.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
That G/si1 asscher has went on and off reserve 5 or 6 times now.
3-4 of those times the person who had it on reserve posted about it and went with another diamond.
The rest of the times you can bet the same thing happened.
It is a beautiful asscher but as with any si1 asscher there are clarity concerns.

I have been watching it myself too see what it would do.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dude, chill. GOG and Jon have a stellar rep here. Green''s scenario is likely what has happened in this case. Jon is a real mensch and wouldn''t mess with potential customers in the way you''re intimating. He cant if he wants to run a successful online and B&M business, which he does. So relax and feel lucky that the stone you were interested in is now available. Also, you disappeared for a month and GOG moves a lot of stones over that amount of time. It''s totally plausible for someone else to have gotten that stone and then returned it.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I''m currently having a stone shipped to an appraiser so that I can take a look at it. It''s showing ''Sold''.

If, next week, I change my mind, it will show ''Available''. You have no proof whatsoever about the ''shady'' moves you are implying.
38.gif

ValGirl

Rough_Rock
I am also looking to contact GOG for some diamond pricing and rings and I don''t really think it''s shady at all. They seem to have a very solid reputation here.

Valerie

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a crazy idea ... BUY THE STONE NOW! And, dude, c''mon ... folks aren''t gonna put too much stock into your "shady" theory if they have any clue about diamond transactions. 30 day inspection period. Bet that cheaper stone you want doesn''t stand up to in-person-oogily-eyeball-type SCRUTINY. Which is WHY its cheaper to begin with.
2.gif
11.gif

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
wow, i think you''re being a bit presumptuous. the profit margin isn''t necessarily bigger on the more expensive stone. like everyone else said, it was probably a return. why don''t you ask about it again and see what they say?

another thing, i''ve been communicating with sarah and she''s a complete doll. i asked for her opinion on two stones and she actually suggested the cheaper one.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

If you are still interested in either asscher I would say go for it. I know, some of us have suspicious minds but you have nothing to worry about with these folks at GOG.

I just came back from my visit to GOG. I am looking for a replacement setting for my e-ring. I met with Marie and met Sarah, as she came to show me her engagement ring. I met John also. The place was packed with customers. Everyone there was very professional and extremely nice.
31.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Andrew,

I am sorry you are assuming the worst. That diamond indeed did sell and was returned from the client for personal reasons. This is commonplace in business and there is absolutely no reason why I would want to keep you from purchasing it or anything from us. It makes no sense.
33.gif

In fact after my daughter had asked me about the F VS and if we had any room we kindly offered you whatever room we had in the diamond but you refused & no biggie. We don''t twist anyone''s arm to purchase from us. We do everything within our means to help them make the most educated decision about what it is they are buying.

Also Sarah did in fact reply to your last email however we just reviewed it and her comments were couched between your statements and not clearly identifiable so for that we do apologize. If you did not recieve the response it may be filtered or something as that happens to us also sometimes. While this may or may not be important to you, my integrity and the principles by which we conduct our business are #1. My conscience before God comes first in my life and these are the principles, beliefs and convictions by which my daughter was raised. She will not lie or deceive anyone to trick them into a diamond or to make a sale. If we can not earn a person''s business honestly we''d rather not earn it at all. I suppose it is natural for you to be skeptical and perhaps you''ve been burned by other business people but we do not deal with people in a deceptive manner to make a sale.

In any case, no hard feelings whatever you decide. I wish you had come to us with your concern before seeing the need to post this on a public forum but if you think I am not telling you the truth, I could even, if you like have the original purchaser contact you if you''d like to talk to him and if he is willing. We have nothing to hide and have no need to operate shady or dishonestly. Please conduct a search on this very forum to hear from those who have done business with us over the past 10 years we have been conducting business on the Internet and 28 years locally from our bricks and mortar store here in Long Island, NY.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 5:54:11 PM
Author: decodelighted
I have a crazy idea ... BUY THE STONE NOW! And, dude, c''mon ... folks aren''t gonna put too much stock into your ''shady'' theory if they have any clue about diamond transactions. 30 day inspection period. Bet that cheaper stone you want doesn''t stand up to in-person-oogily-eyeball-type SCRUTINY. Which is WHY its cheaper to begin with.
2.gif
11.gif
Ditto--be thankful it''s back and buy it!

This kind of thing happens--just a few weeks ago I bought a stone hours before Skippy decided to buy it. If it can happen in the PS community it''s about 100,000x more likely to happen in the real world!

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to add that i was on the other side of this scenario with GOG. I was the one who "purchased/held" a stone for over a week and when I went to see it I didn't take it. So it went back up. And I am pretty sure he sold that cushion within the next week... regardless, Jon would not do anything shady! No way, no how! His rep is too valuable around here. I hope that you can understand this, bc I think they are a pleasure to deal with, and I would love to purchase from them in the future!

Hey Jon!! I guess we posted at the same time! I'm glad you responded! It was perfect
36.gif

Hope everything is going well for you!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 6:40:58 PM
Author: Rhino
Hi Andrew,

I am sorry you are assuming the worst. That diamond indeed did sell and was returned from the client for personal reasons. This is commonplace in business and there is absolutely no reason why I would want to keep you from purchasing it or anything from us. It makes no sense.
33.gif

In fact after my daughter had asked me about the F VS and if we had any room we kindly offered you whatever room we had in the diamond but you refused & no biggie. We don't twist anyone's arm to purchase from us. We do everything within our means to help them make the most educated decision about what it is they are buying.

Also Sarah did in fact reply to your last email however we just reviewed it and her comments were couched between your statements and not clearly identifiable so for that we do apologize. If you did not recieve the response it may be filtered or something as that happens to us also sometimes. While this may or may not be important to you, my integrity and the principles by which we conduct our business are #1. My conscience before God comes first in my life and these are the principles, beliefs and convictions by which my daughter was raised. She will not lie or deceive anyone to trick them into a diamond or to make a sale. If we can not earn a person's business honestly we'd rather not earn it at all. I suppose it is natural for you to be skeptical and perhaps you've been burned by other business people but we do not deal with people in a deceptive manner to make a sale.

In any case, no hard feelings whatever you decide. I wish you had come to us with your concern before seeing the need to post this on a public forum but if you think I am not telling you the truth, I could even, if you like have the original purchaser contact you if you'd like to talk to him and if he is willing. We have nothing to hide and have no need to operate shady or dishonestly. Please conduct a search on this very forum to hear from those who have done business with us over the past 10 years we have been conducting business on the Internet and 28 years locally from our bricks and mortar store here in Long Island, NY.
This was my exact, initial thought.

While I would never dissuade a consumer from posting about an experience, it always bodes well for both them, and the company, if they try resolving the issue in private first. Then unwarranted attacks/posts like this can be avoided, and no one is left with egg on their face.
1.gif

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
We back Jonathan 100% after just having received one of his gorgeous diamonds. He has been so honest and informative . We could not have been happier dealing with anyone else and this was a huge investment for us. I strongly believe that Jonathan runs his business as he runs his life- with integrity and respect .
I think if you would have contacted him directly to ask what had happened, he would have cleared things up and you would have felt better about the situation immediately.
I publicly thank Jonathan and Good Old Gold for a wonderful experience and highly recommend him without hesitation.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with everyone else that posted on this board items can go on and off sale nothing shady about that.

I have been personally dealing with Sarah now for the last couple of months and you could not want a more honest and wonderful person to help you I really could not say anything bad about her actually I don''t know if I could say enough nice things about her, I think she is just wonderful as are all the GOG staff.

Sarah was not only helpful but she listened to exactly what I wanted and found me a fantastic stone under budget with all the specs I listed and that blew us out of the water, she was even the one that even reassured me that there was no point spending $6000 more for a slightly bigger stone when I was concerned.

If you make accusations they really should be grounded in fact another email asking if you when you were confused would have been more prudent.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I came very close to buying a beautiful asscher from Jon. He held it for me for a couple of weeks, I paid but did not take delivery of the stone because I was unsure of my setting decision. As it turned out I wasn''t able to go ahead with my plans; I explained the situation to Jon, and he cheerfully refunded my money and said that when the time was right for me, he would be glad to work with me again.

What a great guy he is!! After all the e-mails and phone calls back and forth, he would still do business with me (who, as it turns out, wasted) so much of his time!

I''m angry that you would even imply that there''s an inkling of a hint of shadiness with GOG or Jonathon or Sarah!!
29.gif

I hope to see your follow-up apology to this thread.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 6:40:58 PM
Hi Andrew,

33.gif

In fact after my daughter had asked me about the F VS and if we had any room we kindly offered you whatever room we had in the diamond but you refused & no biggie. We don''t twist anyone''s arm to purchase from us. We do everything within our means to help them make the most educated decision about what it is they are buying.

Also Sarah did in fact reply to your last email however we just reviewed it and her comments were couched between your statements and not clearly identifiable so for that we do apologize. If you did not recieve the response it may be filtered or something as that happens to us also sometimes. While this may or may not be important to you, my integrity and the principles by which we conduct our business are #1. My conscience before God comes first in my life and these are the principles, beliefs and convictions by which my daughter was raised. She will not lie or deceive anyone to trick them into a diamond or to make a sale. If we can not earn a person''s business honestly we''d rather not earn it at all. I suppose it is natural for you to be skeptical and perhaps you''ve been burned by other business people but we do not deal with people in a deceptive manner to make a sale.

In any case, no hard feelings whatever you decide. I wish you had come to us with your concern before seeing the need to post this on a public forum but if you think I am not telling you the truth, I could even, if you like have the original purchaser contact you if you''d like to talk to him and if he is willing. We have nothing to hide and have no need to operate shady or dishonestly. Please conduct a search on this very forum to hear from those who have done business with us over the past 10 years we have been conducting business on the Internet and 28 years locally from our bricks and mortar store here in Long Island, NY.
36.gif

I absolutely agree that one should always bring any issues up with their vendor (or potential vendor) in the first instance before casting aspersions: particularly in a public arena.

I applaud Rhino for his open, honest & utterly professional response - and hope that I have the pleasure of buying from GOG myself in the future. :)

x x x

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 7:10:30 PM
Author: isaku5
I''m angry that you would even imply that there''s an inkling of a hint of shadiness with GOG or Jonathon or Sarah!!
29.gif

I hope to see your follow-up apology to this thread.
Ditto! Many of us here have purchased from Jon and have nothing but good to say. Jon runs a top notch business and I would not hesitate to purchase from him again or to refer my friends and family to GOG.

I am sad to see his name being drug through the mud!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
surfgirl- you have a very aggressive way of putting things. Just some feedback. You might want to share your opinions in a more subtle and diplomatic way. I don't personally like to have to read berating posts. You did the same thing to me.
38.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another one here that has has only good things to say about GOG and Jonathon. He runs his business with the best intentions. He's built up a great rep here. I look forward to dealing with Sarah in the future. Obviously that stone had sold and was returned. Great thing about GOG IS the 30 day return policy. I haven't returned a stone yet, but like knowing I can if need be.

Hopefully you see that there was nothing SHADY about GOG's dealings with you.
2.gif

lablover

Rough_Rock
style="WIDTH: 93.96%; HEIGHT: 422px">Date: 4/25/2008 6:40:58 PM
Hi Andrew,

33.gif

I just purchased a stone and setting from GOG just this week! I have NOTHING but positive things to say about my experience!!!! I personally worked with Sarah and she was extremely professional, funny and sweet!!!! Not to mention very patient with my endless questions!!! She showed me two stones that were about 3,000 dollars different in price!!! She never pushed me into choosing the more expensive stone. To quote Sarah, "I don''t want to be that annoying salesperson...see it in the video yourself and you be the judge" After watching the video and seeing the stone in person, it did sell itself!!!!!
I wanted to add that when she responded to my emails she always did "couch" her responses in between my original email. So, perhaps, Andrew, you missed her response accidently!!!! I am sorry you felt the need to publicly denounce GOG before giving them a chance to explain themselves.
39.gif
As you can see by the outpouring of responses to your post...I think you may have jumped the gun on what you had believed!!!!
2.gif

Either way...I hope you find the stone you want!!!!!!!! This website has a wealth of valuable information!!!!!!
1.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I just had to read this thread because I knew there had to be some kind of misunderstanding given the title. After reading through everything I am relieved to see that there was in fact a misunderstanding, or better, a misunderstanding about how diamond inventories work.

To the OP: I am sure that you were upset about what happened and immediately fired off a thread here on PS. But wow, do you realize that a negative post about *shady* dealings can have a direct impact on a vendor''s rep? A lurker knowing little about the diamond-buying process might be scared off just from reading your title. And might not read further to find out the details. Luckily for GOG and others, they have backed up their reputations with great service and stellar credibility. I hope that you come back to respond to Jon''s comments, just to ensure the situation is resolved and you understand how this world of Internet/B&M diamond vending works.

And to add to others'' similar experiences, I have been the purchaser side of the equation but with WF, where I held a diamond and then switched it out for another that had just come in, so I know how quickly inventories can turn over. I have also been on the buyer side where I could see from comments on PS that others were interested in and snapped stones that I was also looking at. So I knew for future reference to act quickly when I see something promising.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I believe ALL of our vendors are human and make mistakes. And do not get mortally or personally offended when someone posts something legitimately negative about the vendor, and am usually very interested to see how the vendor resolves the issue. I myself have posted concerns about things. Our best vendors are usually the ones that address the concerns promptly and to the satisfaction of the wronged consumer. And I admire them for that.

But .............. yeah. I see no substance here. They have a return policy. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results