shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with choice of an oval diamond!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blackhawk24

Rough_Rock
First of all thanks for all the help you''ve given me while I''ve been lurking the past month, but now I need some custom help.

I''m looking for an Oval stone to set as a solitaire for an engagement ring. I''ve found a few possible stones and wanted to know what your opinions were. The data I have is limited and suggestions for other stones are welcome.

Diamond ''A''
Carat 1.36
Color G
Clarity VS2
Price $ 4479.84
Measurements 8.28 x 6.03 x 3.86 mm
Depth Percentage 64 %
Table Percentage 56 %

Diamond ''B''
Carat 1.61
Color H
Clarity VVS2
Price $ 5099.19
Measurements 8.88 x 6.65 x 4 mm
Depth Percentage 60.2 %
Table Percentage 55 %

Diamond ''C''
Carat 1.50
Color H
Clarity VS2
Price $ 4943.40
Measurements 8.86 x 6.18 x 3.9 mm
Depth Percentage 63.1 %
Table Percentage 59 %

Diamond ''D''
Carat 1.23
Color G
Clarity VS2
Price $ 4357.15
Measurements 8.74 x 6.43 x 3.44 mm
Depth Percentage 53.5 %
Table Percentage 55 %

All are EGL certed with Very good polish and symmetry. My priorities (not ranked) are eyeclean, no yellow, and well cut. I''m looking to keep the stone under or close to $5000.

I''ve learned a ton about rounds but have had trouble finding out about ovals. Anything you can tell me about these from the limited info I have would be appreciated. Sorry if I came across as rambling or scattered, I''m feeling a little overwhelmed with this huge of a decision.

-Thank you

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

Firstly do you know which EGL lab graded these, such as EGL USA, Israel, Europe, Antwerp etc? This can be important to know as EGL USA is considered by some to be the strongest lab. Unfortunately, you can't judge cut quality of fancy shapes so much by numbers, even though what you have look fine, you really need pictures to get a feel for how a diamond will look, and ASET is great if you can get it to help evaluate light performance. I would ask the vendors for detailed pics of these diamonds, and an ASET image if they can get it. The last diamond appears to be shallow with the depth?

Here is a chart you can use as a guide, but if you find a diamond which falls outside of these ranges that you love, remember that is the most important thing.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc3.asp

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Well said Lorelei - with oval diamonds - the SHAPE is key as each one is unique unlike a well cut round brilliant diamond where each one is the same round shape and similar size for a given carat. With ovals some will be fatter, some will be longer, all ovals have some degree of bow-tie but the best ones are where the bow-tie effect is minimal.

The best way to judge the oval diamonds is to see them in person of course if that is not possible then you have to have photos/ASET.

As Lorelei says - you need to be more careful when choosing diamonds that are graded with EGL: whilst EGL-US is better than EGL-Antwerp or EGL-Israel even EGL-US can be one colour/one clarity "over-optimistic" - this is within the tolerance of US law on gradings. The other EGL certificates are notorious for being up even 2-3 colour/clarities "over-optimistic"!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
We can''t really tell you much without pictures of each stone. The best way is to look at each with your own eyes and pick your favorite. But be careful with EGL certs (especially from the Europe or Israel divisions) - they''re not always as accurate as GIA or AGS when it comes to color and clarity. An EGL H might actually be a true I, for example. How about this one?
1.03 E SI1

Blackhawk24

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys/gals. I''m working on getting more info on the stones, but it seems I''m gonna need to pick a couple and then arrange a way to view a few together to make my choice.

I''ve found out that ''A'' is graded by EGL-Israel, which I''ve heard means it can be graded up to 4 colors too softly. That pretty much crosses that one off my short list.

I should be getting info on several more shortly.

jstarfireb: That is a nice looking oval. I was hoping to get a bit more size, but it is definitely under consideration.

I value ALL opinions and am open to suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results