shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help please - wanting to buy soon 1.70-2.00 diamond

ItsAboutTime

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, thanks for checking out the post.. I will be quick, hubby gave me a 15k budget to finally get my dream DREAM ring for our 10 year.. I have gone to a diamond wholesale place here in Houston, and I think I found two in my budget, would you kindly chime in and let me know if they are of good quality... Thanks in advance!

Diamond 1: $13,700
2.12 F SI2 EGL 8.31x8.28
DEPTH 60.6
Table 57
Polish EX
Sym Ex
Culet N
Girdle M
Flour N
Cut EX
The diamond is eye clean, I looked at for a long time and couldn't see any inclusions to the naked eye, reflects light nicely and very sparkly. Under a loop I could see inclusions, some specs, some almost scratch like but them seemed to all be on the underneath side on the stone... Looking down into the stone I couldn't see any except with the loop.

Diamond 2: $ 8,600
1.70 F SI2 EGL 7.58x7.53
DEPTH 63.5
Table 56
Polish EX
Sym Ex
Culet N
Girdle M
Flour N
Cut IDEAL

Again, this was a eye clean diamond, from every angle I looked I couldn't see any blemish or inclusion with the naked eye, under the loop yes again it had some clear looking specs and tiny black specs but without the loop I couldn't find them in the stone..

I have tried to attach a photo, if it works the stone on the left is the 2.12

I have also attached the David Yurman inspired setting I will also have made for me with some slight changes ...

Thanks much!!!

_12404.jpg

_12403.jpg

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Re: Need help please - wanting to buy soon 1.70-2.00 diamon

ItsAboutTime|1386197813|3567689 said:
Hi everyone, thanks for checking out the post.. I will be quick, hubby gave me a 15k budget to finally get my dream DREAM ring for our 10 year.. I have gone to a diamond wholesale place here in Houston, and I think I found two in my budget, would you kindly chime in and let me know if they are of good quality... Thanks in advance!

2.12 F SI2 EGL 8.31x8.28
DEPTH 60.6
Table 57
Polish EX
Sym Ex
Culet N
Girdle M
Flour N
Cut EX
The diamond is eye clean, I looked at for a long time and couldn't see any inclusions to the naked eye, reflects light nicely and very sparkly. Under a loop I could see inclusions, some specs, some almost scratch like but them seemed to all be on the underneath side on the stone... Looking down into the stone I couldn't see any except with the loop.

1.70 F SI2 EGL 7.58x7.53
DEPTH 63.5
Table 56
Polish EX
Sym Ex
Culet N
Girdle M
Flour N
Cut IDEAL

Again, this was a eye clean diamond, from every angle I looked I couldn't see any blemish or inclusion with the naked eye, under the loop yes again it had some clear looking specs and tiny black specs but without the loop I couldn't find them in the stone..

I have also attached the David Yurman inspired setting I will also have made for me with some slight changes ...

Thanks much!!!

From personal experience I would never buy en EGLCertufied stone they are too un reliable in grading. Stick with GIA trust me

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

ItsAboutTime|1386197813|3567689 said:

2.12 F SI2 EGL 8.31x8.28
DEPTH 60.6
Table 57
Polish EX
Sym Ex
Culet N
Girdle M
Flour N
Cut EX

1.70 F SI2 EGL 7.58x7.53
DEPTH 63.5
Table 56
Polish EX
Sym Ex
Culet N
Girdle M
Flour N
Cut IDEAL

Thanks much!!!

From personal experience I would never buy en EGLCertufied stone they are too un reliable in grading. Stick with GIA trust me

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yup, stick with GIA or AGS graded stones.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have they been certified by EGL USA or EGL International? EGL International stones frequently seem like bargain prices but actually really are not, the reason for this is compared to much more accurately graded stones by labs like GIA they can frequently be 5 up to 6 grades out or incorrect in colour and are often 2 to 3 out in clarity. You think on paper you are getting a deal, but if you went to a shop and bought a comparable diamond that was GIA graded you could actually be buying a 2.12 badly cut J, K, L in colour and a I1 or I2 in clarity. Suddenly the diamond you are looking at isn't a bargain after all. The one on the right side of your picture also looks cloudy or milky to me.

If it has been graded by EGL USA they are trying to clean up their act. These are generally compared to GIA graded stones 1 to 2 grades out or incorrect in colour, and 1 but it can be 2 in clarity.

Both, but especially EGL International are very inaccurate at describing the cut, so they might grade something a triple Ex or an Ideal cut when GIA wouldn't classify it as such.

There are no great bargains when you are buying diamonds, it is all about understanding what you are actually getting....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There are no great bargains when you are buying diamonds, it is all about understanding what you are actually getting....

usually seller is going to do everything they can to get the most $ for their stone.

If they thought that stone could have gotten an XXX F Si2 rating from GIA, they would have sent it to get the GIA cert. As that will bring in more $$$.

They arent in the going to leave money on the table.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

OP If you look at one of my previous threads I talk about my experience with my own 2.04ct EGL certed SI2 diamond. After wearing it for several years I decided I wanted to change it up so I sent it to GIA to have it recerted. It came back I1 which was a total shocker as it was/ is 100% eye clean from every angle. The I1 is due to twinning wisps, regardless it brought the value way down. I'm mentioning this because you are buying a diamond at an SI2 price but really getting an I1 which is much cheaper. So please please please don't make my mistake and stick with GIA.

For what it's worth I know several people have gotten GIA I1 diamonds that they love and are eye clean like mine from LuAnn at IDJewelry. Just tell her you want something with twinning wisps or inclusions that can't be seen with the naked eye. I hear she is very accomodating. I know the PSer who bought my Emilya got an I1 diamond from her for under 10k. It might take a bit longer to find a great I1 but at least you get what you are paying for.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock

Hello,
Isn't Whiteflash located in the Houston area? If so, that's where I'd be headed to look for a diamond. Good luck.

ItsAboutTime

Rough_Rock

Hi all, thank you for all the help, I have asked if they could get a GIA cert. on both these above diamonds, so i am waiting to find out if they will indeed .. I have no idea how long or what the process is for a GIA cert. but thought it doesn't hurt to at least ask...

In the mean time i have set up an appointment at WF!! So happy the are located only a few miles away, who knew!!

If you wanted size 1.80- 1.90ish, what are you willing to give up on and what must I not give up on when searching within our 14k budget for the "diamond" thinking my setting will be a few thousand , I am thinking a 14k diamond is good enough... I really don't want to sacrifice on size and hope to be right around 1.85-1.95 at the end, so in saying this what should the MUST have's be?

Thank you so much for all you help, and to Neil for showing me the WF diamond, I think I will head over and look at the one you posted above....

Thanks!

ItsAboutTime

Rough_Rock

Thanks:) made the appointment, will be looking at diamonds in 2 hours at WF!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

ItsAboutTime|1386255932|3568090 said:
Hi all, thank you for all the help, I have asked if they could get a GIA cert. on both these above diamonds, so i am waiting to find out if they will indeed .. I have no idea how long or what the process is for a GIA cert. but thought it doesn't hurt to at least ask...

In the mean time i have set up an appointment at WF!! So happy the are located only a few miles away, who knew!!

If you wanted size 1.80- 1.90ish, what are you willing to give up on and what must I not give up on when searching within our 14k budget for the "diamond" thinking my setting will be a few thousand , I am thinking a 14k diamond is good enough... I really don't want to sacrifice on size and hope to be right around 1.85-1.95 at the end, so in saying this what should the MUST have's be?

Thank you so much for all you help, and to Neil for showing me the WF diamond, I think I will head over and look at the one you posted above....

Thanks!

I totally understand! I really wanted to hit the 8mm (equiv. of 2ct) with my first upgrade. For you since size is the most important perhaps drop down in color. I think you could go down to I if it doesn't bother you. Have WF show you some in that color range. And like I mentioned before you could do GIA SI2 or I1 that are eye clean you just have to look around. Just look for inclusions that have twining wisps or something that you can cover up.

Here is my 2.04 F I1 that I mentioned earlier, in 2 different settings. No one would ever know it was an I1.

sp4.jpeg

Attachments

• _71.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 425

ItsAboutTime

Rough_Rock

Thank you for the advice, and that is a beautiful stone and setting!
I just hope they are not picked over with it being xmas, will be meeting with Britney as WF and she is pulling some stones .... I will for sure ask to look at I's as well if nothing more than to compare the I to a f or g .. The twining wisps, are those what look almost like a " crack in ice" ...? The two above stones had those but they would have been cover up in my setting.
Thanks

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

I am glad you gave pause to those EGL diamonds--10 years is a milestone anniversary and one wouldn't want to make a hasty decision. It is great to hear you are visiting WF--let us know how it turns out.

ETA: WF can comb the database to find other stones that are not in house and offer to bring them in for you to see. You may have to wait for them to receive those diamonds, but at least they will have the experience to say "this or that" might be an option for you. Then you can decide when seeing them IRL--and see them side by side.

cheers--Sharon

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Explantation of inclusions: http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Clarity/InclusionGallery/

And interesting PS article on Twinning wisps: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/twinning-wisp.26447/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/twinning-wisp.26447/[/URL]

I get the general consensus on PS is if you are going to have in inclusion TW are the most accepted. They typically don't detract from the diamond and much less noticable. As I reference before my diamond is 100% eye clean. If

ItsAboutTime

Rough_Rock
: Need help please - wanting to buy soon 1.70-2.00 diamond

THANK YOU :appl: everyone who suggested to hold on the EGL, and to go to WF- what a huge huge difference in quality!
I spoke with Bryan at WF and he took so much time sharing his stone knowledge with me!! and we have a reserved diamond !! And he is doing our setting too!! Yahooooo.
Thank you all for your help and saving me a huge headache of buying a possible lemon..

If you have the chance, go into WF, they are amazingly great, and he started with about 20 minutes of diamond education, company education and in my mind i was thinking Show Me The Bling, but i am so happy that i feel so comfortable with the diamond we are choosing!!, Can't wait to share our designing process , and the final product!!
Thanks!,

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great! What did you opt for??

I've seen them do a copy of your inspiration pic, it was so pretty. It was an oval done in yellow gold. So cool. Can't wait to see yours. I love that design.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Soooo.....whaja get????? :bigsmile: :saint:

cheers--Sharon

ItsAboutTime

Rough_Rock

Hi, i have no idea how to post their picture, without posting all my account info from their website...

So you may be able to search for it,
1.711ct I Si1 expert selection, round eye clean certificate and under the loop even it was very very very hard to find the inclusion, comparing to the ones yesterday I was blown away..... Bryan said the only way to really even see the inclusion would be under the light testing they do..

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock

Congrats, it looks beautiful!! :appl:

What are you planning to do for the setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results