shape
carat
color
clarity

My Diamond Saga continues.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

th003g

Rough_Rock
I've decided to forgo the Diamond from Bluenile I had posted earlier in search of a diamond of Better color. Long story short i went to 47st Diamond dist on my lunch break and got a look at a GIA EX/EX/EX D VS1 and got hooked. Now he was asking for 7975 which is out of my price range (especially with tax and ring an additional 12-1500.) So I am back to square 1:

I would like to list 2 diamonds and have the wonderful PS regulars educate me on why 1 is 1k MORE than the other.

. Report: AGS
. Shape: Round Ideal Cut
. Carat: 1.030
. Depth %: 61.6
. Table %: 57.1
. Crown Angle: 35.4
. Crown %: 15.3
. Star : 49
. Pavilion Angle: 40.6
. Pavilion %: 42.7
. Lower Girdle %: 80
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.44-6.48X3.98
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible

. Report: GIA
. Shape: Round
. Carat: 1.00
. Depth %: 61.4
. Table %: 56
. Crown Angle: 34.5
. Crown %: 15.5
. Star : 50
. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
. Pavilion %: 43
. Lower Girdle %: 75
. Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
. Measurements: 6.45-6.49X3.97
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: Faint

I had looked at the Cert for the GIA diamond but WF changed the Item # and now the Cert is Not available... hmmm...

another question... would someone be able to tell the difference between the two above and the following
Item Code: 17825978
G VS1 1.01ct
. Report: GIA
. Shape: Round
. Carat: 1.01
. Depth %: 61.4
. Table %: 58
. Girdle: M
. Measurements: 6.39-6.43X3.94
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: None
HCA 1.2

or should I save 1-2 and go for the G VS1

I've basically narrowed my list to a few choices from Whiteflash and will use this thread to document or ask any questions I may have..
I've been reading more about lower girdle % and star #s and how it will affect the performance of a diamond. The more I learn the more there is to learn...Sheesh hehe

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I am new to the forum, but I read your post and wanted to see if I could help you. Try solomonbrothers.com and use their diamond engine. I just got my ring and I love it! The diamond came from them. When I used D, VS1, 1carat the price were around $6,600 and for G, VS1, 1carat the prices started at $3,900. You won''t be paying any taxes unless you live in Georgia. My fiance is a grad student and he managed my Daussi setting and my 1 carat, D, VS2 cushion diamond for under $6k...(around that price since he''s being elusive as to the actual price and I gathered that research from everything I''ve seen!) If you want the guy''s name who helped us, I''d be more than happy to give it to you. Good luck on your diamond hunting.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
The AGS stone is in-house and comes with a Sarin, ASET, and idealscope image. The GIA stone is not -- it might be just as lovely, but you'd have to call it in to find out. With faint flourescence, a slightly smaller carat weight, and just a cert, it makes sense to me that the GIA stone would sell for less. The vendor hasn't invested time in "cherry picking" the stone and putting the info on the web (because, again, it's not in their possession). That added reassurance is worth something.

The AGS stone seems fairly priced to me -- if you go to "Search by Cut" and look for 1 to 1.05 carat F VS1 stones, you'll see 5 James Allen stones priced between $8920 and $9270, and JA is known to have competitive pricing.

th003g

Rough_Rock
Thanks Phoenixgirl
that''s the interesting part.... if I remember correctly the fact that they both have 4 stars signify Both have been looked at already....
what about the G VS1 I had listed? as thats more in my price range....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want F color, I''d strongly consider the one that is $1000 less. That said, I have no problem with G color, personally. I don''t see the angles listed on that one, though.

th003g

Rough_Rock
the G color one has the following angles from the Cert

across the top 60% then the table is 58%
Im guessing 14% is the crown height and 34 is the crown angle
depth % is 61.4
under that is 43% (pavillion depth?)
then pavillion angle is 40.8
lowest % on left side of the plot is 80% (lower half length?)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The proportions look good for all your selections.

th003g

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei,

I admit I am splitting MICROSCOPIC hairs (so to say) but it is a big purchase that I plan to pay in full and I want to get the best diamond for my money and appreciate all the help I can get in deciding...
I know my GF is going to love any ring I get her but i get a little obsessive sometimes...(I can't imagine how I will get planning the wedding!!!)

Now going back to my original H IF for 7000 from BlueNile and the D VS1 for 7975 from 47th st (scored a 1 on HCA but was not laser incsribed he did say I had 10 days after the sale to send it out to an appraiser and be satisfied)

.... compared with the three in the Original Post... which would you choose?

8000 is the top end of my budget for ring and Diamond... originally...

Question on the side: Is it even possible to have an original GIA Cert if you don't have the diamond...? (there's my skeptical side coming out again 7975 seems waay to nice a price for a D VS1 GIA EX/EX/Ex with an HCA of 1....)

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
My thought is that the D VS1 for $8k is only a good deal if you are ok with spending that much. If he is a vendor worth his salt, he should be able to find some lower color stones in the $6k-$7k range for you that you''d also like. Going over budget by 15% is not a good deal IMO. There are plenty of diamonds out there that meet your requirements and your budget too.

Why IF clarity with the H stone? That seems like overkill if you are already ok with VS1 clarity. I''d always take D VS1 over H IF, all other things being equal.

Can you find a nice F-H VS stone and then get the biggest carat weight you can afford (with your real budget)? That''s my vote!

th003g

Rough_Rock
Valid points all around!!!

My GF is very petite (under 5ft) size 4..25-4.5 and 1CT looks plenty big on her ring finger... yes lucky me i have no need to go any larger than 1ish....
H IF was the purity thing....(Asian is me lol)

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I am also asian, but you seem to be confusing a grade given by a lab as purity. That grade is given using a 10X mag, if you go down you will definitely see inclusions, crystal defects, that is just how crystal are.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 11:33:41 AM
Author: th003g
Valid points all around!!!

My GF is very petite (under 5ft) size 4..25-4.5 and 1CT looks plenty big on her ring finger... yes lucky me i have no need to go any larger than 1ish....
H IF was the purity thing....(Asian is me lol)
I understand, some Asians prefer the very high colours and or clarities, if that is what you prefer then fine - stick with what you want. You can however lower the clarity at least without visual sacrifice to VS comfortably, but that is a personal choice.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want ''purity'', I would prefer D color, at least that is almost consistent and not dependent on magnification. You can also demonstrate that more easily than a IF stone, no need to be carrying a loupe with you anywhere you go.

th003g

Rough_Rock
I don''t mean to rile any feathers here so I apologize if I did... hehe
I''ve been thinking about D VS2... I understand and agree that Color is more visible (if at all) than Clarity....

The H IF was a prospect early in the search before I was shown just how hard it would be for me to see inclusions in a stone of VS1 quality...

My search is not yet 3 weeks old and I have learned so much... PS has been very helpful in opening my eyes so to speak....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 12:16:41 PM
I don't mean to rile any feathers here so I apologize if I did... hehe
I've been thinking about D VS2... I understand and agree that Color is more visible (if at all) than Clarity....

The H IF was a prospect early in the search before I was shown just how hard it would be for me to see inclusions in a stone of VS1 quality...

My search is not yet 3 weeks old and I have learned so much... PS has been very helpful in opening my eyes so to speak....

PLEASE don't worry, why would you think you have ruffled any feathers?? You are a great poster and have nothing to apologize for, and you certainly don't need to apologize for your preferences - posters preferences are highly respected around here! If you want IF clarity then go for it! Some love the idea of the purity that IF invokes, if that is the case for you then nothing wrong with that!

th003g

Rough_Rock
They've reposted all the data for the GIA F VS1.... if a comparison could be made it would be appreciated
gia
ags

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
From the images and numbers and price, I would prefer the GIA stone.

EDT:
GIA2 looks good too.

th003g

Rough_Rock
In the magnified Picture for GIA2 I think I can see the cloud inclusion in the center of the table at about the 10 o''clock position... am I right?
I know this is 40x but I am wondering if this will affect light return in any way.... 1.5 HCA not withstanding

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a VS2, usually not a problem. But if you are concern, call up WF and ask, there is no way for us to assess the effect of an inclusion from a photo alone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 9:00:33 PM
In the magnified Picture for GIA2 I think I can see the cloud inclusion in the center of the table at about the 10 o''clock position... am I right?
I know this is 40x but I am wondering if this will affect light return in any way.... 1.5 HCA not withstanding

The first and third diamonds are my picks. As for the cloud inclusion no way to tell, you need to ask WF. I doubt it would be of concern in anyway but best to check with them.

th003g

Rough_Rock
I am THIIIIS close to plopping down the cash for the diamond.....

A few more questions:

Which setting would you get:

Fine Line preferably set lower than the stock photo
full of surprises

I''ve spoken to Chris at WF via Phone and email for a few days...Should I bother asking him to pull the diamond first to look at it in person before buying it? I don''t know if he can offer more information other than what is already on the Site. It would be nice to get an in person opinion... Can I have him take pics of the diamond while he has it and send it to me... I know they won''t be as good as the 40x....

Is it worth it to get the diamond appraised first and can I have the sale contingent on appraisal? I would prefer an AGS cert diamond but I don''t have much of a choice with the selection from WF ES. Are there specific appraisers that do AGS appraisals?

The diamond is not laser inscribed.... Chris quoted me $200 to have it done.... i prob would go ahead and do it.

Would you recommend appraisal before or after setting it in a ring or both?

How much of your savings would you spend on an eng ring..? haha theoretical....of course

I know these are newb questions.... it just is a big purchase and I trust the PS Community...

th003g

Rough_Rock
Ok I went and looked around because I was curious as to what else was out there. I found a similar diamond for 200 less from blue Nile. Difference is this one is ags rated is already inscribed, has negligible flourescence and has a crystal plotted on the table in the cert. Would you consider that a better deal? My gf likes their petite trellis ring so there is a ring option at either vendor.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2009 2:35:33 AM
Ok I went and looked around because I was curious as to what else was out there. I found a similar diamond for 200 less from blue Nile. Difference is this one is ags rated is already inscribed, has negligible flourescence and has a crystal plotted on the table in the cert. Would you consider that a better deal? My gf likes their petite trellis ring so there is a ring option at either vendor.

Can you post the link please or the diamond details, depth, table, angles and so on?

th003g

Rough_Rock
they actually have 3 AGS 000 diamonds (with ACA like table and Depth) in that range 1 being a D but only this F VS2 has an listed report
report1
diamond1

Only reason I ask is because I started out looking for AGS diamonds with inscriptions I feel that I have read enough on this forum to believe AGS is more strict in their grading...

on a side note... I really wish my Ipod touch could do copy paste.... I'm getting software upgrade 3.0 when It comes out!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2009 6:14:52 AM
they actually have 3 AGS 000 diamonds in that range 1 being a D but only this F VS2 has an listed report
report1
diamond1

Only reason I ask is because I started out looking for AGS diamonds with inscriptions I feel that I have read enough on this forum to believe AGS is more strict in their grading...

on a side note... I really wish my Ipod touch could do copy paste.... I''m getting software upgrade 3.0 when It comes out!!!

Thanks, it looks like it could be a great diamond from the report, images such as Idealscope are always useful but BN do not provide them regrettably.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results