shape
carat
color
clarity

My dad's shopping for a new ring

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've written about this here before, but my mom lost her engagement ring a few years ago while taking a walk in the city. Her diamond was from Vietnam (my dad bought it while on tour in the Marine Corps during the Vietnam War). It was really special to her and she was heartbroken when she lost it. She didn't want to think about getting a new diamond soon after, so she wore her mom's engagement ring. Well, now that a few years have past, she's begun to think about getting a new ring.

He asked me for help, and now I'm turning to PS. While I'm confident that I could find something nice, I'm really nervous that my dad's counting on me for something so important. Would you be willing to help?

My dad's wishlist is: 1.1-1.3 RB, SI1, and he wasn't sure about color. He said my mom has a pair of diamond studs that are lower in color and he really likes the warmth. I'm not sure what my mom would like though. For settings, she likes pave and split shanks.

My dad's total budget for both diamond and setting is $7500-$8000. I know we're going to have to tweak his wishlist but I thought I'd at least put it out there and go from there.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is a really sweet project, but I am going to have to say, if I was in this position as the mother, I would absolutely want input into the setting. I probably wouldn't go lower than I SI1. You'll be able to get 1 ct.

examples:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2782655.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2671396.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9178/

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2782670.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

And from Good Old Gold, I'd look at Gabriel and Co. settings as they will have diamond settings and split shanks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beverly K has a GORGEOUS split shank. Might be over budget though, depending on the center.

Hmm. I'm thinking-- would she like an old cut or do you think a round brilliant would be better?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, DS and Gypsy! I've already bookmarked the Legato setting at WF. It's one of my favorites, and I think she'd love it as well. I love Beverly K's settings, and I think that one's right up my mom's ally. I'll show her both and see what she thinks.

Gypsy, I like the OEC a lot, although the setting swallows it up (making it hard to see). I'll show that to my dad as well. The setting isn't something my mom would like, so I'd sell it for my dad. ETA: I'm not sure if my mom would prefer an old cut or a RB. I'll check. I don't think she had even considered an old cut.

Have either of you ever recommended non H&A or ES stones? I'm asking only because my dad wants to get the biggest diamond he can without sacrificing quality. I was going to look up non H&A stones today and see what I can come up with.

I love the stones you chose, DS. Thank you!

I was also thinking of contacting IDJ, but I've never worked with them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1336823834|3193713 said:
Have either of you ever recommended non H&A or ES stones? I'm asking only because my dad wants to get the biggest diamond he can without sacrificing quality. I was going to look up non H&A stones today and see what I can come up with.

OMG YES! I have a PASSION for recommending these stones. "Near Ideal" or whatever term you use, diamonds with GREAT light performance (so either AGS0 or GIA with a great idealscope) but that miss the precision of perfect hearts and arrows are SO the way to go. IF you can get florescence in there to boot to lower the price EVEN BETTER.

I would call Yekuteil if you want a round brilliant. I would tell him "biggest I or J eyeclean stone for budget WITH Florescence GIA great light return) and see what he finds for you. Honestly J's are REALLY lovely and very white in most lighting, I've seen Mara's 2 carat J and Clairetek's 1 carat cushion J and I gotta tell you-- BOTH TIMES when I say them I NEVER would have guessed J (once set and on the hand). I mean they are a great value.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a thread BTW where I talk about "near ideal" stones. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/likelihood-of-finding-a-signature-super-ideal-diamond.174235/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/likelihood-of-finding-a-signature-super-ideal-diamond.174235/[/URL]

ALSO regarding the old cut-- the setting makes the ring look like an eyeball to me so I would reset that sucker too. But Zoe that stone is phenomenal. If she'll consider it I would snap that up and stick it in the Beverly K. It's a 6.7-6.8mm stone so... pretty wonderful in terms of the size your dad wanted. And it would let your mom get the split shank she wants.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1336794052|3193623 said:
Beverly K has a GORGEOUS split shank. Might be over budget though, depending on the center.

Hmm. I'm thinking-- would she like an old cut or do you think a round brilliant would be better?

That split shank is $3500 MSRP, btw :
http://www.elizabetajewelry.com/products/beverley-k-diamond-engagement-ring-semi-mount-center-stone-not-included-number-1233-slash-65

GOG, IDJ and Pearlman's can offer a 20%-ish discount = $2800-ish or lower (I posted the vendor above on colored gems to find out more, btw and no one had experience with them so can't recommend them)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, Gypsy and Webdiva. I really appreciate it. My mom's funny, when I showed her OWD's site and asked about old cuts and whether she'd prefer one to a RB, she said she didn't know. She looked a bit overwhelmed, as if to say, "wow, so many decisions to make. I just wanted a diamond. There are now so many choices!"

My mom is one who, while she loves jewelry, would choose to spend money on a vacation if given the choice. Most of her jewelry is costume stuff, non-diamond pieces, and she just told me that she doesn't want my dad to spend "that kind of money" on a new engagement ring. She said she got caught up in looking and dreaming, but when it comes right down to it, she could go to Ireland again for the same amount of money. I totally get her thinking, but I can't help but feel a bit sad that she's choosing not to get a new engagement ring. Part of her reasoning is that since she's retired now, she doesn't have any place to wear and show off her new piece.

She then said that she wanted to put this project on hold. She said that what she might choose to do someday is get a colored stone, a nice setting, and have that be her new ring.

I WISH she'd let my dad get her something and not think about the money. She deserves it. I'm not sure what to do now. I'll talk to my dad and see what he says.

Thanks again, DS, Gypsy, and Webdiva. I'll let you know if this is still on hold or if my dad's moving ahead anyway.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why does it mean so much to to you? Or rather what does it mean to you, her decision? What does getting her a new ring symbolize.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It almost sounds like she doesn't want to spend the money. Or else she really doesn't care that much about a new ring. What about a five stone diamond band that could be worn with a plain wedding band? That would cost less than a solitaire and provide just as much bling. (And yes, I do love all ideal cut stones whether they are top tier hearts and arrows or not. I have bought both.)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, it means a lot to my dad to be able to give my mom a new ring to replace the one she lost. In turn, it means a lot to me. My mom loves jewelry. I'm just not sure she was prepared for so many choices and the cost of the stones. That's my fault, I should have just e-mailed them to my dad, but I e-mailed her the links so she could see them too. I kind of forgot she'd see the prices too. Oops.

DS, great idea about a 5 stone band. I'll find out from my dad if that's something my mom might want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results