shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a fair price?

P53

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm new into diamonds and have been looking for an engagement ring. I've searched online and recently went to DD as well. I found a diamond I like (circle, 1.57 carats, SI2, and H). Despite it being an SI2, the inclusions are minimal. It's also a GIA. They reluctantly brought the price down to $11,500, but I have no idea if this is a fair price. The manager is a slippery fellow and I left the store confused. I would some insight regarding this price. Is it fair? Are GIA diamonds worth the premium? I'm also a little nervous ordering a diamond online.

Thanks for your help, I realize this is a newbie question.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
There are good SI2's and then their aren't fantastic SI2's. Did it say on the cert what made it SI2? What type of inclusion?

For me I wouldn't pay over 11k for a diamond with eye visible inclusions.

P53

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply.

The inclusions aren't visible to the eye but with a loupe, there are thin, whispy lines along the periphery. I didn't see what the cert said about the inclusions. Can anyone suggest any online diamonds that are equivalent?

Thanks again

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Try a search on James Allen.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
What is your budget? Has she expressed any opinions regarding size, color and clarity? Setting?

Cut is king. A very well-cut stone with generally look brighter, hence larger, than a poorly-cut stone of comparable weight.

PSs are very comfortable with a number of online vendors because they have earned their trust with the quality of their product and customer service. And, if you're in NY and don't mind venturing to LI, you can buy your stone at Good Old Gold (GOG) if you prefer not to order it from them online.

London

Shiny_Rock
This doesn't sound like the best price to me I dont think. Please do a search in PS diamond search. It is under the resources tab and you can put in the diamond your looking at criteria and see what comparison prices come up. If you have a copy of the gia cert you can do an advance search and get more detailed with your specs and find a really close match to the one you are looking at and compare prices. You can also see what grade it gets through the AGA cut class tool under tools on PS. Please do your research and dont fall into any traps. This is not the last diamond you will find that there are sooo many choices. PS can help you a lot!

London

Shiny_Rock
Just did a search for RB GIA 1.51-1.61 SI1 H and results range in price from $6500-$11300. Yes these are online prices so probably a little more competitive but it is really important that you look at many other factors like cut and fluorescence.

P53

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the helpful replies. I understand that cut is important and have been looking for diamonds with an ideal cut. What is ideal for fluorescence? Colorless?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1398391854|3659541 said:
The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. And GIA Ex is not enough.
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex, and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform. It's only goal is to weed out stones that have angles that do not normally result in ideal light performance.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. 2.6 and over is a no. No score 2 and under is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.
So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. James Allen, BGD, GOG, ERD, HPD and WF do.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA. The HCA is just used narrow and predict which stones will have a good idealscope image.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you. That's why they trade at a premium.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
P53|1398395574|3659600 said:
Thanks for the helpful replies. I understand that cut is important and have been looking for diamonds with an ideal cut. What is ideal for fluorescence? Colorless?

As long as the stone is not overblue Fluor. is fine. Read here: https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence And it can safe you money.

Here's another link you should read:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/likelihood-of-finding-a-signature-super-ideal-diamond.174235/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/likelihood-of-finding-a-signature-super-ideal-diamond.174235/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results