shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with antique e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rock Rookie

Rough_Rock
My GF just let on that she really likes antique settings. She wasn''t sure about RB v. Asscher etc. She did say she wants to be able to wear it with a straight wedding band (i.e., no contouring needing to mate it with the e-ring). This threw me for a loop b/c I wasn''t planning on antique at all and know little about them.

What are your rec''s for settings? I like the Tiffany Legacy a lot and LM''s antique stuff seems too busy for me although I like him overall. I need to be able to match it with a straight-shank band.

Also, what about the stone? I had my heart set on RB for the sparkle factor but a clean white Asscher or Cushion would look good too. I can use the HCA/AGS cert to gauge the wow-factor of an RB but I have no idea how to do so for Asccher/Cushion. These seem to have more variability in the dimensions/appearance. Can anyone help?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure on RB versus asscher? Has she tried any on? They are very different looks in terms of sparkle.

That should be the first thing. Then you deal with the setting...

Rock Rookie

Rough_Rock
I''d like to make the ring as much of a surprise as possible. I realize there''s more gamble involved by making all the decisions myself, but I feel like involving her too much in the process is like filling out christmas wish lists. You end up getting exactly what you want but it''s no longer a surprise from Santa, so there''s less magic. That''s probably very naive.

Rock Rookie

Rough_Rock
I''d like to make the ring as much of a surprise as possible. I realize there''s more gamble involved by making all the decisions myself, but I feel like involving her too much in the process is like filling out christmas wish lists. You end up getting exactly what you want but it''s no longer a surprise from Santa, so there''s less magic. That''s probably very naive, I know.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure it''s naive, it''s understandable. But I think an engagement ring is different. At least from my own point of view, I am definitely more concerned with getting exactly what I want than being surprised. My bf originally thought I wanted a traditional setting (I have one now but with a pink sapphire), I actually don''t like the traditional style. I like the ring I have because the pink sapphire makes it more interesting. So I''ve been searching for every ring possible to make sure he gets exactly what I want in the exact specifications that I want! Haha. But I seriously plan to wear the ring for the rest of my days, so I want to love it. I know it will still be a surprise to see it gleaming at me in real life instead of in pictures!!!

Anyhoo, suggestions for antique styles. Since you are a fan of the Legacy (LOVE IT!!!) I would recommend Ritani''s endless love collection. Once I saw the price on the Legacy I realized I''d have to shoot for something else and Ritani was the only one that was right up there on the list. Of course I just found another possiblity. This is too hard!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure, of course. It''s just that they are very, very different. One is step cut, one is brilliant cut. One looks like an endless glassy pool, one looks like a highly faceted sparklefest. Seriously different looks. If she really has no preference, then you should choose the shape, and then the setting hunt kinda narrows itself down to some extent.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/28/2007 7:25:23 PM
Author: Rock Rookie
I''d like to make the ring as much of a surprise as possible. I realize there''s more gamble involved by making all the decisions myself, but I feel like involving her too much in the process is like filling out christmas wish lists. You end up getting exactly what you want but it''s no longer a surprise from Santa, so there''s less magic. That''s probably very naive, I know.
Ooh, I don''t know... I bet a lot of women would actually be much happier getting the type of design and stone they really want, even down to a specific setting, if given the choice. I would strongly suggest getting more information about what her dream ring would be, and then work with that. You could ask her friends or family members if you don''t want to be direct. I definitely, strongly suggest that the two of you go out and just try on some different styles of stones at least, so that she really knows what the trade-offs can be. If she likes a lot of sparkle, she may not appreciate an asscher or emerald cut for example. But there are other cuts besides round that are sparkly in their own ways too. Really, the more information you have, even if it''s just seeing her more excited about one ring than another, the better chance you''ll pick something that knocks her socks off!
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2007 7:33:26 PM
Author: lyra

Date: 8/28/2007 7:25:23 PM
Author: Rock Rookie
Ooh, I don''t know... I bet a lot of women would actually be much happier getting the type of design and stone they really want, even down to a specific setting, if given the choice. I would strongly suggest getting more information about what her dream ring would be, and then work with that. You could ask her friends or family members if you don''t want to be direct. I definitely, strongly suggest that the two of you go out and just try on some different styles of stones at least, so that she really knows what the trade-offs can be. If she likes a lot of sparkle, she may not appreciate an asscher or emerald cut for example. But there are other cuts besides round that are sparkly in their own ways too. Really, the more information you have, even if it''s just seeing her more excited about one ring than another, the better chance you''ll pick something that knocks her socks off!
36.gif

Yeah. Ditto. BIG TIME.

Big difference between an asscher and a round. If you REALLY don''t want any further sleuthing I recommend a princess of Hearts or a Juliet as an alternative to an asscher. Same octagonal shape with lots of billiance and fire. Asschers are very unique stones and not for everyone.

Personally though. without any further input I''d go for a round stone in an octagonal halo like the Vatche Antique setting. See that here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-vatche-antique-ring.53611/. Vatche also has a Grace setting that is a Legacy inspired setting that looks lovely with a round if you like the legacy look. I''d contact one of the Vatche dealers on here Wink, Excel, GOG about wearing a straight band with either of those settings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results