shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Which setting profile? CAD or Hand Forged?

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I am resetting an MRB into a RHR and I really need some help! After toying around with different setting ideas, I have landed on a variation of the Tiffany Legacy with round diamond in a “cushion” halo. I have requested quotes on my inspiration ring attached and will most likely be going with ERD.

1. With ERD, would you recommend CAD or Hand Forged for this ring style? Chris feels confident that with either route, they can produce a great outcome. I go back and forth, because I like the idea of seeing a CAD to make sure I won’t be surprised, but I also like the durability and details that hand forged could provide. :confused: Of course, there is the price difference to consider as well!

2. Do you like single shank or double shank for this ring?

3. Which profile do you like? Picture #2 - Pave on the donut and stems or Picture #3 - Add a second halo on the side with pave, pave on donut, no pave on stems. Either way, there will be no pave on the side of the shank, only top.

Thanks!

Inspiration picture #1:
maxresdefault_copy.jpg
Inspiration picture #2
tl_profile.jpg
Inspiration picture #3 but no pave on the side of the shank
tl_profile_with_curved_stems.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I think the Legacy is a good design for CAD. I don't think I'd spend the extra money for handforged for the Legacy. And I like the stems personally.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gypsy! I was hoping you would have input! I read a LOT of PS and certainly value your opinion!! Thoughts on the split shank idea like inspiration picture or putting the second halo on the side (is there a term for that?)?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the split shank a lot. I think especially since it's a RHR. :wavey: I'm not a fan of the pave on the side of the halo. But that is the view you will see it from most often, so if you like it, go for it.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks CharmyPoo and thanks again Gypsy! I guess I am curious why this type of setting is good for CAD? That was my gut...Is it because there is less need for refined melee placement since there is naturally more metal showing on a Legacy style than a ring like the VC Emilya?

I am definitely not sold on the double halo on the side, but the 3rd picture I posted is so beautiful! I think it might be all the pave on the side of the shank that is probably drawing my eye to it (not the double halo alone) and I know I don't need all that detailing for a RHR.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think single row pave will be fine. Split shank will also look good w/ this style unless you plan on wearing it on your LH. Can't wait to see the finished product!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Update!! I just got the quote back from Victor Canera (there was a delay) and the quote isn't much more than the ERD hand forged. That is very tempting to me. What do you think?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tweeter8177|1393693673|3625281 said:
Update!! I just got the quote back from Victor Canera (there was a delay) and the quote isn't much more than the ERD hand forged. That is very tempting to me. What do you think?

That is a no brainer for me, then! :))

Did you also contact SK since you have worked w/ him before?

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mom2boys! For this particular ring, I didn't contact SK. Maybe I should. One of the things that interested me with ERD and VC is if I ever upgrade my Ering, I would most likely use them for the diamond (antique cushion). Kind of a relationship builder decision in my head...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you get the CAD request?

As for why CAD, the design is very reinforced throughout, it's a very stable setting that looks best when it is perfectly symmetrical in every way. And the pave style is brightcut. That means it doesn't need the delicate strength of handforged like the HW style does to make it durable. So IMO I wouldn't pay for handforged for a Legacy style unless you really just like handforged. :wavey:

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gypsy!

I am going to round numbers here, but the CAD is approximately $1K less than handforged with ERD or VC. (The VC is a bit higher than ERD.) My biggest concern is that since I am doing a round diamond in a cushion halo, who can do it best so it is seamless between diamond and halo? Chris at ERD sent one example of one they did but was honest that they haven't really done many.

Any input is appreciated! I am torn and have gone back and forth all weekend! Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Legacy setting and would trust these ladies if they really think CAD/cast is going to have a better end result, although I would really be tempted to have Victor make it!

I love the stones graduated larger up toward the shank like this real Legacy. In fact, for a RHR, I'd make it similar this one other than to make the round hole in the cushion halo and make the side bezels less pronounced.

tiffanylegacy.jpg

tiffanylegacy3.jpg

tiffanylegacy2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh, and a slightly more delicate version that I love is the Vatche Grace. I like it's design as well and it is less blingy.

Here is a video from Wink Jones that shows it with a smaller stone. Wink, Good Old Gold, IDJ, and WhiteFlash all carry Vatche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr-CfC6AQ7M

vatchegrace.png

vatchegrace1.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If money was no object, I would go to LM who made that ring and has proven to do a fantastic job with it. SK's work will be very similar so he would work as well. I am fairly certain that VC can do an equally fine job but I haven't seen a similar design on his website or on here. I find VC's designs to have a more modern feel than some of LM/SK's pieces. I can't really explain it but VC's pieces look different to me whereas LM/SK's is very close.

If you are price sensitive, ERD CAD is a very good option and they have turned out many beautiful pieces. However, I still find that SK/LM has a more delicate feel to it but that is more evident in U-cut pave versus brightcut.

For me, I love the ring exactly as is with no changes.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondseeker2006 - Thanks for some ideas! It is helpful to see the Vatche with a round stone! I am not a huge fan of the profile on the actual legacy, unless that is how I would throw in a pink diamond into the design! I do love the graduated side stones of the original legacy...I actually like it for an e-ring too!

CharmyPoo - Thanks again for feedback! I actually did request a quote from LM, but didn't receive a response even after following up. It took VC a week to respond, so I had actually written both of them off when I originally posted this thread. I haven't requested a quote from SK yet, because I wasn't confident that hand forged was necessary for this ring (based off a response from Chris at ERD on my questions to him). SK does amazing work and I am happy with how my e-ring turned out from him. Do you think I would visually be able to see a difference in a CAD vs. SK for this ring (knowing that I haven't seen good pave in person)? I have no problem spending the money if it is worth it. Also, interesting observation on VC's work vs. LM/SK. I will try to notice that going forward!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Ha! Great question and no, I can't tell the difference. :lol: Thanks CharmyPoo!!

JLFG

Rough_Rock
TWEETER8177 I'm considering a similar ring using a RB center stone and have a meeting with ERD in 2 weeks. Did you decide to move forward with them or are you going with VC, SK or LM? If I do decide to move forward with ERD I plan on having the ring cast/CAD. If I decide to spend the extra $$ I would look to work with SK or LM.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
JLFG|1396830898|3648626 said:
TWEETER8177 I'm considering a similar ring using a RB center stone and have a meeting with ERD in 2 weeks. Did you decide to move forward with them or are you going with VC, SK or LM? If I do decide to move forward with ERD I plan on having the ring cast/CAD. If I decide to spend the extra $$ I would look to work with SK or LM.

Hi JLFG,

Yes, I did move forward with the Cast/CAD version of this ring with ERD. I trust the input of the PSers in this thread and decided for the extra $1000-$1500, it wasn't worth handforged. Although it was tempting to go with VC! I tried to get a quote with LM and after a couple of attempts, I never received one. I didn't request a quote from SK, although he did my 3 stone E-ring and I am very happy with it. I should get my ring in a week or so from ERD so I can't comment on the quality yet, but Chris has been very easy to work with. The cushion halo for a round diamond was the most challenging in the CADs, but I am hopeful it will be perfect!! Hope that helps!

JLFG

Rough_Rock
That's super helpful as I'm meeting with ERD in two weeks. Congrats on making a decision and I'm sure your ring will be beautiful. I agree that Cast/CAD for that design is the way to go and there was no need to pay the extra for that ring style. I can't wait to make a decision and finally have a new e-ring. Unfortunately I've been wanting to reset mine from day one but never wanted to tell my husband because I felt bad. He worked so hard and in concept he did great but the actual execution was bad and really should've been redone.

I just want to make I get it right this time around bc I doubt I will do this again for a long time.

Congrats again and please post pics once you have your new ring.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tweeter...can't wait to see the finished product!! :wavey:

JLFG

Rough_Rock
Hi Tweeter8177,

I met with Mark at ERD and decided the tiffany legacy is the ring for me. The HW halo was also beautiful but a little too modern for my taste. As soon as I put the Legacy on I knew it was what I wanted. I love how the legacy is a blend of modern and antique. Did you get your ring yet?? I'd love to see pics since I'm also considering a cushion halo with a RB center stone. I know that will be the hardest part to get right.

I'm also debating what else I could do to enhance the side profile without it being too much since I will be wearing the ring on my left hand with a wedding band (ie colored hidden stone). Also considering miligrain on both the top and sides or just the sides. I know the tiffany embrace has a channel set band which is also a nice way of adding visual interest to the ring.

I hope you love your ring and can't wait to see pics.

:)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: I am really excited for you. I hope you loooooove it when you see it.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
JLFG|1397745208|3654961 said:
Hi Tweeter8177,

I met with Mark at ERD and decided the tiffany legacy is the ring for me. The HW halo was also beautiful but a little too modern for my taste. As soon as I put the Legacy on I knew it was what I wanted. I love how the legacy is a blend of modern and antique. Did you get your ring yet?? I'd love to see pics since I'm also considering a cushion halo with a RB center stone. I know that will be the hardest part to get right.

I'm also debating what else I could do to enhance the side profile without it being too much since I will be wearing the ring on my left hand with a wedding band (ie colored hidden stone). Also considering miligrain on both the top and sides or just the sides. I know the tiffany embrace has a channel set band which is also a nice way of adding visual interest to the ring.

I hope you love your ring and can't wait to see pics.

:)

Hi JLFG – I am glad you found the style you want (that is the hard part)!! Ironically, I just wired payment today for my ring so pictures coming soon! Too bad you couldn’t have seen my ring in person when you were at ERD…it was completed last night.
As far as side profiles, I think you have a bunch of options:

• You could do the traditional legacy and maybe do the colored stones there instead of hidden.
• I love the profile on PerryGTs ring (posted by Pregcurious in the ERD thread).
• Pregcurious’ ring with the yellow halo has a unique profile (also in the ERD thread).
• You could do the style I have with melee on the stems only and no donut (or a smaller donut).
• I love the profile on Redroze ring…not sure if that would work since hers is without a halo. Here is a thread that shows it. You could do colored stones on the side of the basket or diamonds.https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/poll-help-me-choose-a-wedding-band.200215/
• You could pave the side of the shank and/or the side of the halo like mrssalvo’s ring (absolutely love this one!!) https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-to-those-who-wait-my-daniel-k-is-here.86927/
• You could post a thread asking for suggestions too as these were just thoughts that came to me!

As far as the miligrain, I personally don’t think it would look balanced if you only do miligrain on the shank and not the halo (if that is what you meant), but that is just me. Note I did not do milgrain on the metal wall between the center diamond and the halo, just on the outside of the halo. Also, you could do no miligrain on the whole thing…see nspace’s ring. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cut-pavé-halo-engagement-ring-from-erd.157834/ So many choices! Happy to help in any way I can! :D

Thanks Acinom and LLJsmom! I can’t wait to see the finished ring! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results