shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - Reset rb solitaire to a halo?? (pics included)

lalak812

Rough_Rock
Hello...new here and hoping to get some help. I have a 2.29 round brilliant solitaire and the 4 prong setting is being worn away by my wedding band. I have gone to the jeweler and received a quote of $1600 to replace the prongs. (high huh?) I do not want to go this route since it would be only a temporary fix to the problem. The prongs look really bad and it bothers me every time I look at my ring so now I am strongly considering getting a whole new setting. My husband suggested combining the two rings into a 5 stone but I really like halo settings. I love the look of round stones in a cushion halo with a split shank. I have looked at TONS of pictures and cannot seem to find a setting to buy so I figured custom is the best option. I am scheduled to see the jeweler tomorrow to design a custom setting and told them I would like 3/4 tcw with approx 60-80 stones. I am hoping for comments and opinions on my current setting, the reset, best pave setting (hoping not to lose stones)

Would a halo be an improvement?

PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

This is my current engagement ring and wedding band

And here are a couple inspiration pictures of what I would like the halo to look like - cushion halo, not much metal showing, split shank...

032.JPG

030.JPG

photo-1.JPG

ring20123.JPG

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Help - Should I reset my rb solitaire to a halo??

Personal opinion of course, but I have always loved the look of a split-shank halo. You might want to keep in mind that because there are a lot of little diamonds in the setting, you would want to keep an eye on them for loose stones, worn prongs, etc. and be more careful about doing rough tasks while wearing your ring.

MrsDrP

Shiny_Rock
Re: Help - Should I reset my rb solitaire to a halo??

First I want to say that your current setting and wedding band are beautiful!

Second, I'm not sure what size your fingers are, but you have pretty good finger coverage with the diamond alone. For me personally, my fingers are a somewhat small (4.5 ring size), and I think a 2.3ct diamond with a halo around it would be too much. Have you tried on halo settings with diamonds that large in them? If you love it and think it's proportional and not too big, then I'd say go for it!

I'm a BIG fan of halos, and I knew when I went e-ring shopping that I wouldn't be happy with anything except halo setting.

This is a link to the most beautiful Leon Mege halo I have ever seen. It's kind of a split shank, but not really. I love the little scrolls!!

http://www.micropave.com/index.php/engagement-rings/halo/halo-engagement-ring-cold-fusion-leon-mege.html

lalak812

Rough_Rock
Leon Mege rings are gorgeous! My ring size 5.75. I have read many posts on 2ct diamonds with a halo being too much and I would appreciate opinions in my case.

I also should admit that something has always bothered me about my rings, maybe they don't look right together. I also have only received 1 compliment from a stranger on my rings in 5 years...Maybe that is normal not sure.

MrsDrP

Shiny_Rock
lalak812|1325875176|3096627 said:
Leon Mege has beautiful rings, I agree! My ring size 5.75. I have read many posts on 2ct diamonds with a halo being too much and I would appreciate opinions in my case.

I also should admit that something has always bothered me about my rings, maybe they don't look right together. I also have only received 1 compliment on my rings in 5 years...Maybe thats normal not sure.

I think it's really about personal preference. IMO, a 2+ct stone in a halo is too much for ME. On my hand, diamonds that big in halos look fake. I definitely think you should try to find some halos with 2ct diamonds or CZs in them so that you can see how it looks. Perhaps a thin, delicate halo?

Here is a link to a fellow PSers GORGEOUS halo ring. Her diamond is 2.32ct and her ring size is 4.75. Victor Canera made her setting and I think it looks absolutely stunning! It looks HUGE but she rocks it :)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-rb-halo-ring-my-forever-setting-finally.164262/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-rb-halo-ring-my-forever-setting-finally.164262/page-3[/URL]

slg47

Ideal_Rock
q...would you still wear your wedding band with your reset?

lalak812

Rough_Rock
good question... i am not sure yet. i have been wondering how they would look together or if i should wear one on my right hand...i have seen a couple pictures where halo e-ring is worn with band similar and looks fine but might be too much????

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it'll be a very big look with a stone of your size, but if you're comfortable with that, go for it! :naughty: Just keep in mind halos add a LOT of size.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried wearing a spacer between your band and e-ring? A very thin, plain band would prevent your w-band's diamonds from eating at your e-ring's prongs. I'd personally repair the solitaire (or shop for a new solitaire setting), add a spacer, and keep your set as-is. What I might also do is shop for an eternity or half-eternity wedding band with smaller diamonds. Unless you go channel set, you'd want to wear it with a spacer to protect your e-ring, but I think the "glitter" from a band with smaller diamonds would be harmonious with your larger solitaire. Maybe keep your current band to wear alone on occasions where you don't want to wear the e-ring.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
$1600 to replace the prongs! :errrr:
Wow. is that for white gold or platinum?

Oh, and thanks to this thread and that other Halo'd cushion beauty >3cts by VC :love: , I'm now wanting a cushion halo for my RB! Alll over again... :loopy: I had just finally decided on a solitaire! LOL. So I feel your pain.

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I think your stone would look stunning in a cushion halo. I'm not sure if you could wear your current WB with it that way. If you want to wear a band, I'd suggest getting a matching pave one to go with the split shank on the halo and maybe wearing your original band on your RH or as a stand-alone when you want a less blingy look. Your band is so pretty the way it is that I'd keep it intact.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think your stone would look stunning in a cushion halo and I love the first split-shank setting that you posted. If you're worried it might be too large, go try some on before committing to the purchase. I would go for a different wedding band though (or go without one). Your band is pretty but I just don't think it would go with that style.

heather2012

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I have a size 4.5 finger (ring is being sized to 4.75). My boyfriend recently bought my ring (2.1 carat center diamond with split shank ROUND halo). I think it is gorgeous....here is a photo of the ring, and a video (terrible quality but you can see size coveragE)...he hasn't proposed yet so the video is literally my iphone recording his laptop screen from the video we took in the store (i recorded it when he fell asleep!).

Anyway it sort of gives you an idea!

VIDEO:

http://youtu.be/vfvuWTWb25Y

MYfuturering.png

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I'd get a new setting for that diamond and keep it in a solitaire setting! Halos can be pretty but for an engagement ring I much prefer a solitaire. But that's just my opinion. You'll have to think about what you want to look on your hand. If you feel a halo setting would make you happier, go for it! And show us new pics. =)

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
That is my ring in the first photo you posted. It is a 2.53 RB in setting with 72 diamonds (.76ct). It is not too large on my size 5-1/4 finger. I tried on several similar styles and they only felt too large when the halo and/or diamond were set up higher. I believe mine is 7.25mm from my finger to top of diamond.

I think a split shank like mine looks better as a single ring. If you want to wear two rings, I think you would have to make a new ring to work with the split shank to avoid damage on either ring.

Not sure of your lifestyle, but a ring like this is harder to wear than a solitaire. The youngest of my four kids are 9 year old twins. I could not have worn this ring when my kids were younger. I wore my original ring 24 hours a day for 15 years (1.3 RB, yellow gold with a few channel set diamonds). I wear this ring maybe 8 hours a day (it is super comfortable, just too pretty to sleep or shower with). I love my ring, but will change it if I do not get comfortable with leaving it on all the time.

If you are concerned about compliments, a halo may not help. It makes it look larger and I think strangers are less likely to compliment larger rings.

I agree that you should find rings in this style to try on before getting one custom made to make sure of the design elements you prefer. Also, make sure it will fit in your lifestyle and feels good on your hand.

I would also take your husband's advice and think about a 5 stone ring. Try some on that are similar to what you could make with your current two rings.

Yes, $1600 is way too much for replacing prongs! Although, a halo split shank will cost much more.

Hope you had fun at your jewelers today!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your diamond looks huge and certainly doesn't need a halo! But if you are willing to baby a pave ring and love halos, then go for it!

Here is one of the best, I think:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-my-3-92ct-oec-victor-canera-split-shank-halo.168492/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-my-3-92ct-oec-victor-canera-split-shank-halo.168492/[/URL]

I would never let a local jeweler make an intricate ring like this unless Victor or Steven K or Leon were in my local area!

If you decide to keep a solitaire, you just need a thin spacer band. You can get a whole new solitaire e-ring for $1600, so I don't know what your jeweler was thinking! Time to find a new one!

lalak812

Rough_Rock
donnabrsd|1325991753|3097630 said:
That is my ring in the first photo you posted. It is a 2.53 RB in setting with 72 diamonds (.76ct). It is not too large on my size 5-1/4 finger. I tried on several similar styles and they only felt too large when the halo and/or diamond were set up higher. I believe mine is 7.25mm from my finger to top of diamond.

I think a split shank like mine looks better as a single ring. If you want to wear two rings, I think you would have to make a new ring to work with the split shank to avoid damage on either ring.

Not sure of your lifestyle, but a ring like this is harder to wear than a solitaire. The youngest of my four kids are 9 year old twins. I could not have worn this ring when my kids were younger. I wore my original ring 24 hours a day for 15 years (1.3 RB, yellow gold with a few channel set diamonds). I wear this ring maybe 8 hours a day (it is super comfortable, just too pretty to sleep or shower with). I love my ring, but will change it if I do not get comfortable with leaving it on all the time.

If you are concerned about compliments, a halo may not help. It makes it look larger and I think strangers are less likely to compliment larger rings.

I agree that you should find rings in this style to try on before getting one custom made to make sure of the design elements you prefer. Also, make sure it will fit in your lifestyle and feels good on your hand.

I would also take your husband's advice and think about a 5 stone ring. Try some on that are similar to what you could make with your current two rings.

Yes, $1600 is way too much for replacing prongs! Although, a halo split shank will cost much more.

Hope you had fun at your jewelers today!

I was excited to see you posted since I have been drooling over your ring for the past couple weeks! (I hope you don't mind that I posted it :) Thank you for your very honest opinions/comments. Do you feel like the stones could pop out easily? I do wear my ring(s) but not when I clean, shower, or sleep so hopefully a similar setting will hold up with my lifestyle. Thank you for the gorgeous inspiration! I brought in your picture along with a couple others yesterday and am really excited to see what the final result will be.

lalak812

Rough_Rock
I went to my jeweler yesterday and reviewed the design elements that I am looking for... they are working on a CAD and I should have it in the next couple weeks for review. They seemed to have a very good feel for what I wanted and will be using excellent melee diamonds for the platinum setting (approx 80) for a 3/4 ct setting. I am working with the best jeweler in my state am hopeful that they will be able to achieve a similar look to some of the masterpieces on this site.

Thanks for the comments and the pictures...very helpful!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
My ring is made extremely well. I do not fear diamonds falling out at all. That is great that you are used to taking your ring off, so I think it will be perfect for you. I look forward to seeing your CADS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results