shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose an oval diamond

Scoofy

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am new here and have learned quite a lot from reading various topics. I will be upgrading (replacing) my engagement ring from 10 years ago and love the look of oval diamonds. I will most likely select the French Set Halo or Halo Micropave setting from Ritani.

I have also selected a few oval diamonds from Ritani. It is hard to choose between these, can anyone give their opinion?

- Diamond 1: 0.9 D VVS2 http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/oval-diamond-0-90-Carat-D-color-GIA-certified/D-19172M

- Diamond 2: 0.9 E IF http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/oval-diamond-0-90-Carat-E-color-GIA-certified/D-193599

- Diamond 3: 1.07 F VVS2 http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/oval-diamond-1-07-Carat-F-color-GIA-certified/D-15WF7Q

No bow ties as far as I can see.
Would these diamonds be the best choices for my budget (around $5k)?

Thank you so much :angel:
Scoofy

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi OP :wavey:

I love ovals too! They are so elegant and flattering to the hand... however, the ones you posted look like they have "mush" on either side of the table by the bow-tie area -- but I could be wrong... :think:

Where is Gypsy?? :bigsmile:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Ritani do asets? If so, request
And post. Are you going high on clarity
For a certain reason because you can
Go lower (VS range) and still have it be
Eye clean.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why are you looking at such high color and clarity?

You can safely go down to eyeclean G SI1 with no change to the naked eye.

Also Ritani doesn't offer ASETs. And ovals can have a LOT of leakage under the table. Asets are very useful to see where light is being lost and weed out the good from the not so good.

Plus the angle of their videos makes it difficult to weed out the bad from the good.

Only thing I can tell you is the the E is my least favorite.

But I HIGHLY suggest you work with a different vendor for Ovals. Good Old Gold if you can wait till they re-open in a week. Or JA or BGD if you can't wait. JA and BGD both have halo settings to chose from if you don't want to order the setting separate.

I can try to find a couple nice ones for you.

If you want to stick to Ritani vendors WF is a Ritani vendor, though they are not as good as BGD with fancies. And I am pretty sure Engagement Rings Direct can order Ritani settings for you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1405123132|3711648 said:

I'm not loving any of these. But the last one especially doesn't do anything for me.

This one has potential and is a lovely shape and size (COMPARE DIMENSIONS NOT CARAT WEIGHT WITH OVALS): http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.05-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-324308 and it's only 170 over budget. I'd get an ASET of this one.
Also a possibility: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.95-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-212092

Scoofy

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Gypsy, you said the E was your least favorite, may I ask why? Is it the way it looks to you? The Ritani rep said it was one of her favorites.

In general, the diamonds I had selected seem to have the best specs in my budget. Is it just because Ritani does not have ASETs that you would not consider them? So if I understand correctly, even though the diamond has excellent polish & symmetry, a very good cut & clarity and is colorless, it could still not be very sparkly if it leaks a lot of light?

The other diamonds suggested seem to be of lower clarity and polish/symmetry than the one I selected, so are you considering these as you think they would be more beautiful/sparkly? Just trying to understand the best way to go about the decision process.

I had a look at JA too and will request a few ASETs. I am just not sure about their settings - their main photos look good but when I look at recently completed examples they don't look very good to me. I will open a separate thread on this.

I would prefer to order both the diamond & setting from the same vendor as I live in Australia and I think that would be easiest in case I need to return it or send it back later down the track.

Any comments welcome =)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't spoke to Ritani. But if their sales reps are on par with Blue Nile, JA, and B2C then their opinions aren't worth a hill of beans. Did she tell you WHY she preferred that one?

If you ASET that stone it look like it will have a TON of light leakage from the mushy facets. If you compare the facets to the other two you'll see it's mushier.

See Neil's illustrations in this post (it's about marquise but applies to ovals as well): [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/online-video-reliability-side-by-side-comparison.203956/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/online-video-reliability-side-by-side-comparison.203956/[/URL]

The E has too much mush. The problem with their video set up is that obstructs. I wouldn't buy a fancy, especially an oval, from Ritani with the quality of their videos and their lack of ASET images.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite as well Lorelei.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahh. I like a good fat oval, but the spread on that puppy is luscious and the facets look nice and crisp.

Scoofy

Rough_Rock
Thanks ladies! I have requested ASETs from JA, including the one recommended above. Will post once I receive them.

I did contact the Ritani rep with my concerns but she says the diamonds look 'really bright and clear with distinct facets'. :think:

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Scoofy-

Working with Ritani online, I called in a stone through a local distributor last week and the stone proved better in person that it did online or according to the GIA specs. I like their online platform and although their call center assistance leaves something to be desired, the feedback from their gemologist was spot-on correct about the stone itself. The stone did not work for me, but the process of viewing it locally was painless, risk free. If you like the stone they're recommending and you have a local jewelry store who works with Ritani and can call it in for a viewing, I strongly recommend it. It was well worth my time and helped me to narrow my focus.

Your eyes will always be the best judge of what is "ideal" to you.

Good luck!

Scoofy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice.

I have also contacted an Australian vendor, and they selected the following based on my specs/budget:

1.05 carat
Color F
VS1
8.06mmx5.79mm
Excellent polish & symmetery, very good cut
Strong blue fluorescence
T 58% D62.2%

diamond_52.jpg

I don't think they have an ASET but I have asked. Any opinions based on the photo? The cost is approx. USD5,200.

Still waiting on JA.

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no very good cut with ovals. Not at GIA. Not at AGS. So that's either graded by someone else, in which case there's no point in evaluating it further, or that's the vendor's designation and unless he can justify what his cut grade is based on (in a repeatable observable format), it's meaningless. Also, I'm seeing what looks like it would ASET out as a blue bowtie.

Ask for a video. A good clear one.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
It's a pretty stone. If its GIA certified, the specs posted are good but I wouldn't want an F stone with any fluorescence and if I did proceed, I'd probably try to negotiate a discount because of it. Seeing it in person in varying light, at all angles, will tell the real story. Does the vendor have a risk-free return policy?

Would you consider a pre-loved vintage stone, already mounted? I know of two that might work for you.

Scoofy

Rough_Rock
The Australian vendor was able to provide some extra images (Jewellery scope & AGS scope). This is for the 1.05 F diamond pictured above. It is GIA certified and they have a 30 day return policy. What do you think?
jewellery_scope.jpg
ags_scope.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue in the bowtie and lots of light lost under the table. I'd say it's an average stone. Not below average. But it doesn't impress either. Nice of them to provide an ASET.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
It's next to impossible to really evaluate an oval without seeing it in person. More photos and video would be really helpful! The GIA specs are good and the ASET isn't doing it justice, and isn't meant to. If the return policy is unconditional, its worth a in-person look. Given the price and all other variables, I'd probably take a shot.

Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rand I'm sorry. I don't know what you are talking about 'specs'. Specs are useless with ovals, there is nothing on a lab report that can tell you how one performs. On the other hand, and ASET does show light performance. And that diamond has a blue facets in the bowtie region and has clear obstruction/dead zones under the table.

It's not a good risk. And I don't see why the OP should waste their time further on it.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Ovals are extremely difficult to select without seeing them in person, and I don't value an ASET for this cut at all. A GIA cert (specs), photos and videos are the pre-qualifier with the eyes the final test. Every stone is a balance between a plethora of variables. At this price, scale, color and clarity, I absolutely think its worth a shot. I simply don't share your opinion that the stone and vendor should be summarily dismissed solely based on this ASET image, a tool hardly perfected for this cut.

Scoofy

Rough_Rock
Gypsy & RandG, thank you for your contributions, I value both of your opinions. I guess there is no easy/clear way to determine which diamond would be the best selection. Unfortunately given my location I can't view the diamonds in person before deciding, so I have to go by photos/videos and the images, and your advice :))
Hopefully I get the JA images soon to compare and make a decision.

Scoofy

Rough_Rock
Well it has taken some time but the JA ASETs are finally in! Could you please help me interpret them? These are the diamonds I selected:

1) 0.90 D - VVS2 (strong fluorescence): http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.90-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-240870

2) 0.93 F - VS1: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.93-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-271372

3) 1.05 G - SI1: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.05-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-324308

I will upload the images next.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who picked the ones under a carat for you? I didn't.

I picked the G. Its' okay. Not fantastic. What did the gemologist say about it?

Scoofy

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

I picked the other two. Let me copy what the email said:

I'm happy to inform you that diamond 1) has great fire, brilliance, and scintillation, which balances throughout the diamond. When compared to your other diamonds, this one is the brightest and most fiery. It has an icy white "D" color, faces eye clean, and has an attractive oval shape. Lastly, the impact its fluorescence is so faint and difficult to detect, that only the trained eye of a gemologist should be able to see a very slight blue tint from it.
Diamond 2) has great light performance as well, ranking a strong second brightness. It has an icy white "F" color, an attractive shape, and faces eye clean.
Diamond 3) has great light performance, ranking third. It's eye clean and has a white "G" color. Unlike your others, it has the crushed ice look and an elongated shape.

According to them, number 1) is the best recommendation. What do you think about this stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results