shape
carat
color
clarity

Fastest upgrade in PS history? Scattered band or just upgrade stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I need a reality check!

I received my beautiful .53 Crafted by Infinity diamond set in a Vatche platinum setting a month ago from Wink at High Performance Diamonds.

link to thread with photos

I love it! Right now I've been wearing my old 3 mm band with the ring, and it looks okay, but I've been considering getting a 3 or 4 mm wide scattered diamond band, in platinum, .25 or so ctw. I e-mailed Wink and he says Vatche has one that's about 2 grand. I love Vatche settings. So even though I know I could probably get a scattered band for less $$ elsewhere, I'd really like to stick with Vatche.

But then I started thinking -- for 2 grand or a little more, I could get a decent upgrade in size from Infinity! I'd have it reset in the same Royal Empress setting from Vatche, but I'd need a larger head on the setting, no doubt.

I have size 7 3/4 fingers and I feel that a larger diamond would be more flattering on my hand. I looked at the chart that floats around this site that gives the percentage finger coverage based on ring size and carat size, and to get 40 or 50 percent coverage, I'd have to go up to a 1.5 carat or larger diamond!

finger size diamond coverage chart

So, fellow PS'ers, what do you think? Is it ridiculous to upgrade after only having this ring for a month? Has anyone else been in this situation (DSS sets in early!)? What did you decide to do? If I do upgrade, I'm thinking that I'd go to about .80 or 1.00 carat, which would "only" take me from about .29% finger coverage to .34 to .36% finger coverage. Is it worth it?

Infinity has a great upgrade policy, and now that I've been on PS for a bit, I'm much more comfortable with lower color grades and lower clarity grades, and Infinity has some great larger (1.20 or so) stones in lower color and clarity grades. So I could probably upgrade a bit above 1 carat with careful selection. Thoughts?

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Hate to break it to ya- my ring is a 6 3/4 my diamond is a 1.53 and it is not 40/50 percent coverage.

Anyway, i''d get the band.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm, tough call, I went from 1.01 J to 1.21 K in one month myself, since I was changing out my mounting anyways but the cost was only about $100 more for me, But I''m onto my third mounting as we speak because I couldn''t decide what I wanted, it took another 5 months. If you do get the band now, will you be wearing it with your upgrade later? or will you be replacing that as well? For me, I have to decide what is the Ultimate look I want? will this band work for my next ring or diamond size? I just don''t want to have three different bands to change out. Many like that option, I try to stick to one if I can, but that''s me personally

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would put the money towards an upgrade, that is quite a noticeable difference in size! I absolutely love
30.gif
your setting, you should definitely keep it if possible.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not silly at all, I seem to remember the fastest upgrade on PS years ago was 3 weeks so it has been done
9.gif

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would spend more time researching the various eye candies here so as to nail down to what I shall keep with no regrets. This way, I would not be stuck with unloved items in my jewelry box, and I would have saved enough money for more options.

One method I use is to download photos of whatever catches my attention onto my computer, file them accordingly, look at them from time to time, and delete whatever no longer holds my interest. Through this evloved process of elimination, I gradually discover what suits me best, and more importantly, something that I shall treasure for a long, ong time. You will be surprised to see how many photos in your recycle bin. Trust me, it is more cost effective than constantly upgrading your collection.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not spend $2000 on a scattered diamond band, no matter that it is a brand that you like. In most cases, these bands are all made from the same castings, so there is little difference between them when you use a reputable dealer. Many PSers own this one frm WF: http://www.whiteflash.com/Wedding_Bands/Scattered-Diamond-Band_984.htm which runs about $1300 for 3mm. I know Brian Gavin Diamonds also makes a similar band of top quality as well. So if I were getting a diamond band I would get one of those two and pocket the $700. But its important to know that the scattered diamonds are very subtle and so may not satisfy your craving?

BUT all that said I would upgrade. It seems like it is something you would like to do. Ignore that finger coverage chart because it is hard to picture "29% versus 31%" coverage. Instead think about how you are going from 21mm square to 33mm square in area, which is a 57% increase in face up size!! That is HUUUUUUUUGE! I went from a .80ct to a 1.17ct, which was a 30% increase in size, and it was very very noticable. You would be really happy with a leap in size that large and it is a much better bang for your buck than a scattered diamond band, IMHO.

Besides, if what you really want is an upgrade, then trust me, no little band is going to satisgy that itch.
2.gif

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
I agree with upgrading the diamond for that type of money...
I have a whole little collection of bands that I switch out depending on my mood, what I''m wearing, the people I will be meeting with that day, etc, but I don''t believe I paid $2k for any of them- I''d remember that ;-)
It also really depends on what you though- if you break 1 carat, will that be enough or will it be a case of forever upgrading?
I would go to a few retailers and try on the sizes your thinking of upgrading too, and see what type of difference it makes.
Or heck, buy a fake ring in that size to wear for a week- then ask yourself at the end of the week what would make you happier- the bigger diamond or the new band?
Much luck!!!!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone -- I knew I could count on PS for some good advice.

Iwanna -- yikes, I''d probably need a 3 carat then -- that finger coverage chart drives me to distraction! I do like the band, always have, ever since I saw the original in Tiffany ads years ago.

D&T -- your advice to decide on my Ultimate Look is excellent. I do worry about getting the band and deciding I don''t like it as a "forever band" or that I might not like it with my upgrade. Like you, I''m not likely to have a couple wedding bands that I switch out.

Shimmer -- thanks for the compliment on my setting. I love my setting and will keep the same style. I really do think it will be more attractive with a larger stone. It''s a very modern, simple setting and I love the idea of a larger stone to show it off more. It is also one of the most comfortable rings I''ve ever worn, even with fingers that change size 10 times a day.

Lorelei -- thanks for remembering the even faster upgrade -- that made me feel better!

FancyDiamond -- I have used that same photo collection technique! It''s amazing how much different what I thought I would like (pictures) and what I ended up buying (the Vatche setting) is. I kept a picture of the Vatche Royal Empress on my computer for a long time and kept coming back to it, even though what I thought I wanted was a wide band with a halo!

Dreamer -- you nailed it in several areas -- I don''t know if the scattered band would satisfy my craving; they are subtle. And even the less expensive ones that you linked are still a nice chunk of change that could go towards a new stone. I also thought that if I upgraded the stone to a lower color (I have contemplated going to a larger K or L stone set in a platinum head on a yellow gold band (same Vatche setting) that then I would have the problem of my scattered band stones not matching the solitaire and that would drive me nuts, even though I know the small size in the band wouldn''t be that noticeable (a mind thing for me).

And thanks, Dreamer, for pointing out the mm difference. That makes a lot more sense than using the finger coverage chart. When you put it in terms of a 57% increase, well, now that is a difference!!! And your comment about no band will ever satisfy the upgrade itch...sigh...I''m starting to get the feeling that truer words were never spoken.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
jayrenay9 and oneandahalfrock, thanks for your replies -- I just saw your posts. I have tried on several sizes, from .45 up to a little over a carat. Once you get over a carat where I live, you really stand out, so unless I relocate to another part of the country, around a carat will seem huge to me. I was thinking that I''d just jump up to a 3/4 carat and then make the jump to 1 carat. But it gets so expensive changing the setting to accommodate the larger stone, that it seems that I might as well just go straight to 1.0! I''d be more likely to go the three-stone route (with sapphires, which I love) after that if I got bling-itis again.

It''s funny, I always thought I''d like a smaller solitaire with some sort of diamond band, but after trying on a million (it seems) pave and eternity bands with this ring, IRL what I like is a larger solitaire and a very plain band. I could keep my 3 mm band and be perfectly happy. Who knew???

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 5:22:20 PM
Author: sarap333
jayrenay9 and oneandahalfrock, thanks for your replies -- I just saw your posts. I have tried on several sizes, from .45 up to a little over a carat. Once you get over a carat where I live, you really stand out, so unless I relocate to another part of the country, around a carat will seem huge to me. I was thinking that I''d just jump up to a 3/4 carat and then make the jump to 1 carat. But it gets so expensive changing the setting to accommodate the larger stone, that it seems that I might as well just go straight to 1.0! I''d be more likely to go the three-stone route (with sapphires, which I love) after that if I got bling-itis again.

It''s funny, I always thought I''d like a smaller solitaire with some sort of diamond band, but after trying on a million (it seems) pave and eternity bands with this ring, IRL what I like is a larger solitaire and a very plain band. I could keep my 3 mm band and be perfectly happy. Who knew???
Get the largest solitaire that you can get away with and get the plain band.
36.gif
I like that look too.

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:33:22 PM
Author: FancyDiamond
I would spend more time researching the various eye candies here so as to nail down to what I shall keep with no regrets. This way, I would not be stuck with unloved items in my jewelry box, and I would have saved enough money for more options.

One method I use is to download photos of whatever catches my attention onto my computer, file them accordingly, look at them from time to time, and delete whatever no longer holds my interest. Through this evloved process of elimination, I gradually discover what suits me best, and more importantly, something that I shall treasure for a long, ong time. You will be surprised to see how many photos in your recycle bin. Trust me, it is more cost effective than constantly upgrading your collection.

I would upgrade the diamond if you really feel like you are already experiencing shrinkage. If its happening already it will probably get more and more. But i LOVE Fancydiamond''s system for looking at rings... I''m starting my collection of images NOW!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitly upgrade the diamond! Scattered bands are nice but a nice big piece of bling on your finger is nicer!

KittyBling

Shiny_Rock
I''m with the rest. I''d rather upgrade to a bigger centre stone than opt for a band. There is quite a difference visually between 1/2ct and 3/4-1ct.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Upgrade. I also wouldn''t spend $2k on a band with a .5ct center stone. Now there are those ladies that prefer a .5ct because of tiny fingers, culture, location, careers, budget, etc. But if you are considering a larger stone vs. fancy band---I''d take the larger stone. The infinity stones are so beautiful I easily could go lower in color (as long as you don''t mind a little warmth). I bought an M Cut by Infinity and it''s beautiful and warm and larger than I would have gotten in anything whiter.

Have you checked it out with your man? Some are touchy about upgrades, others are not.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the upgrade and look at getting a scattered diamond or eternity band, for some extra blingage, when you are able. It's amazing what a sparkly wedding band can do to spice things up! Since joining PS, I've had two upgrades and a reset. Don't feel badly about it. You are not the only one
2.gif

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Hate to be the spoiler here, but what does your fiance think?!!!!

There are guys out there who would be VERY turned off by a woman who wants to change the diamond such a short time into the engagement for whatever reason.

It''s easy to be on Pricescope and then think that its normal the way (some) people think about diamonds on here, but in real life this doesn''t always fly.

You don''t want to get the upgrade but lose the prospective husband.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 9:35:51 PM
Author: Black Jade
Hate to be the spoiler here, but what does your fiance think?!!!!

There are guys out there who would be VERY turned off by a woman who wants to change the diamond such a short time into the engagement for whatever reason.

It''s easy to be on Pricescope and then think that its normal the way (some) people think about diamonds on here, but in real life this doesn''t always fly.

You don''t want to get the upgrade but lose the prospective husband.

100% true. Before we were married, I mentioned the possibility of an upgrade far in the future, and my husband became extremely offended! He said "this is the stone we picked out together...doesn''t that mean anything to you?" I had been wearing the ring for over a year when I said that, but I didn''t intend to upgrade at that time, just to think about a 5th anniversary upgrade or something.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 6:04:37 PM
Author: joelly
Date: 7/13/2009 5:22:20 PM

Author: sarap333

It's funny, I always thought I'd like a smaller solitaire with some sort of diamond band, but after trying on a million (it seems) pave and eternity bands with this ring, IRL what I like is a larger solitaire and a very plain band. I could keep my 3 mm band and be perfectly happy. Who knew???

Get the largest solitaire that you can get away with and get the plain band.
36.gif
I like that look too.
Thanks, Joelly, I do think that this is my "ultimate look"!

And, sorry for the confusion, Black Jade and Jstar, this is an anniversary upgrade (from a sapphire) so it's my husband (for a number of years!) I'm talking about here. He hates shopping and doesn't understand my love of jewelry, but as long as I stay in the budget, he's okay. He likes the fact that I'm getting the diamond from a small, independent cutter/designer (Infinity), but other than that, he says it's up to me.

One problem I'm having is I had a one carat emerald-cut blue sapphire in my original engagement ring and I'm used to that size on my hand. It's hard to know what size diamond I'm most comfortable with and what size looks good on my hand, especially given the simple Vatche setting I chose. It really makes the stone stand out, so I'm feeling like bigger is better in this case.

I e-mailed Wink today about the possibility of trading up to a .80 - 1.00 stone, so I'll be interested in what he finds for me.

Swingirl, you are so right about the options Infinity offers. I am going to check out the larger carat sizes in the warmer colors (I have a J now and am completely happy with it).

Thanks again, everyone, for your opinions and for reassuring me that I'm not crazy!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Great! I am happy for you and hope you get something you really love!

I would agree with the other posters in that case. I would personally always choosing getting a bigger solitaire over a band with lots of little diamonds. Provided that the solitaire was not chosen just for size (You know the sort of solitaire I mean). Your ring that you already have looks great and I think that the larger, lower color with the same company will be just as beautiful.

Wear it in good health.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
P.S. I''m always nervous when I see what I think are engaged women already talking about upgrades ever since I read the story on Pricescope about the dog that ended up with the ring becasue the guy got so mad at his girlfriend when she said the ring he proposed with wasn''t big enough. Blonde Beauty, or something like that. The crazy thing was, if I remember right, he had gotten her something like 3 carats, but she ''needed'' to have 4 or something like that.

Oh, well. that certainly isn''t you.

Peace,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results