shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding about a side-grade ... french-cut center

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Last year I came across this amazing ring as I was on my way to have a prong on my vintage anniversary ring rebuilt. Bezel-set french-cut center stone measuring 9mmx12mm, or thereabouts, french-cut sapphire frame, then a single-cut pave frame. Talk about your finger coverage. But, I couldn't justify two large diamond rings, and I was feeling very sentimental about the anniversary ring ... and the next time I walked past that dealer's window, the ring was gone. :blackeye:

The attempt to rebuild the prong turned into a huge brouhaha that lasted five months and resulted in my having to have a repro setting made. I still love the ring ... but the associations are less sentimental in a lot of ways. I doubt I would have thought about changing it again, though, if it wasn't for the fact that when I dropped by that dealer's booth on an unrelated matter there was the ring. The One That Got Away ... away no more!

Well, turns out it wasn't sold ... the dealer just liked it so much he started putting it into a display case in his line-of-sight so he could admire it instead of putting it in the window. The price is in the ballpark of what my anniversary ring cost. I am very strongly tempted to sell my anniversary ring and get this instead. (I mean, I do have my 7th anniversary at the end of the month ... :naughty: ) What do you guys think - insane? Impractical?

I'm attaching a few iPhone photos I snapped in the shop (which is like a locus of bad lighting when it comes to taking pictures: the iPhone actually takes pretty good close-ups generally, but whenever I try to get a shot in there, it's blurry as hell). In the photos, it looks like it's windowing, which is not something I observed at all when it was on the hand ... but given that it's a shallow cut, I wouldn't be surprised if it was optically possible (though I'd love to know how it could do one thing to the naked eye and another to the camera). It's about a carat and a half, I think, but it faces up GINORMOUS: the first time I asked about it, I was positive it was some three-carat bohemoth that would be far, far, far outside of my price-range. The condition is great for a piece this old: bezel secure, calibre cuts unscathed. And the faceting on the center is amazeballs in person: it's like a sharp-cornered AVC, almost, with the Maltese cross center. (Does anybody know what to properly call this, btw? Elongated french cut? Sharp-cornered old mine? Rectangular something-or-other? I've been defaulting to french-cut, but if there's a more technical name, I'd love to know it!) G, VS2. Is it stupid to downgrade in carat weight, to get a much less traditional ring, to get a ring that's less suited for everyday wear, etc., etc., etc.?

What do you think? Don't hold back, all opinions welcome. Pics below, one on its lonesome, one with my anniversary ring.

ps_19.jpg

ps_20.jpg

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Fun dilemma!! I agree with you, yes, it is less wearable. It would be pragmatical for *me* to wear all the time, but I am one that wears my rings for going out only anyway... so maybe it would not matter?? Now do you feel like you may get reverse shrinkage ever? But all that aside, it is so unique and fabulous! I really love it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, the finger coverage is amazing!!! How comfortable is it to wear?

Are you talking about selling the other ring in the pictures to fund this one?

Hmmm...I'm torn what to advice. I really like old roundish cuts and when I first
looked at this new ring I was thinking it was an aquamarine or something
because of the unusal shape.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, Jenn, thanks for weighing in!

I do tend to wear my rings a lot of the time (generally, I only take them off for exercise, cleaning, cooking, or otherwise working with my hands). Since it's bezeled, I think it could stand that level of wear ... though, given the sheer number of stones, that is like a gazillion more possibilities for something to go awry. I mean, I wear my Edwardian dinner ring in those situations ....

... which is also, I think, a pretty fair sign that I won't have any qualms about wearing it on the grounds of size. The nice thing is that it's a lot like it in that it has no protruding bits. The dealer said they used to call them "glove rings," because a lady wouldn't have to worry about them snagging on even her most tight-fitting opera gloves. Who knew!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tyty333|1382125238|3540218 said:
Wow, the finger coverage is amazing!!! How comfortable is it to wear?

Are you talking about selling the other ring in the pictures to fund this one?

Hmmm...I'm torn what to advice. I really like old roundish cuts and when I first
looked at this new ring I was thinking it was an aquamarine or something
because of the unusal shape.

Hi, TyTy! Surprisingly, it's really comfortable, the kind of thing where you wouldn't even notice it if it weren't for the light-show. And, yes, that's the one that would probably have to go if I decided to get this one. I do still love it. I just also really love this new and unusual one ....

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It makes me feel things, get it immediately. :D

It's AMAZING!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
liaerfbv|1382125662|3540226 said:
It makes me feel things, get it immediately. :D

It's AMAZING!

Heheheheheh - that's exactly how I felt! Like, impulse control, schimpulse control ....

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it is stunning but it doesn't say "engagement ring" to me. I would love it as a right hand ring. If I had to choose I would keep your current ring.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO CIRCE THAT IS AN "EVERYDAY RING" CLEARLY.

Why do you think it's less wearable? It has platinum and blue. WEARABLE. DEAL. DONE. BUY IT. IF YOU DON'T I WILL COME AFTER IT AND FIND IT AND BUY IT AND NOT POST PICTURES ON PS.

>though I'd love to know how it could do one thing to the naked eye and another to the camera

The camera has one lens and your eye has two with overlapping fields of vision! Don't we discuss this in RT all the time?

>(Does anybody know what to properly call this, btw? Elongated french cut? Sharp-cornered old mine? Rectangular something-or-other?)

Pure awesomeness.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't want it, will you buy it for me and I'll wire the funds to you????? Wow, what a gorgeous, unique ring. I'm practically crying it's so gorgeous!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double OMG!!!! That is WAY cool!!! And the finger coverage is amazing!!! :naughty:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I love it, but it is NOT an even trade in value for your upgrade ring by any stretch of the imagination. Your round is like 2.5 carats and this one is 1.5. Sure the mount is nice... but c'mon. Sell something else, or just buy this one. but don't sell the honker for it. You can reset your honker a million ways. Heck, go hunt to find the perfect antique mount! But my skin crawls to think you would just swap one for the other.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kindred|1382130490|3540282 said:
I think it is stunning but it doesn't say "engagement ring" to me. I would love it as a right hand ring. If I had to choose I would keep your current ring.

Thanks for speaking up, Kindred. :appl:

I do still have my original engagement ring, so I wouldn't be deprived ... but since I have a RHR I love, it would still feel a little ... I don't know, redundant, or something if I indulged like that. But on the other hand ... (see response to Dreamer in a few :naughty: ).

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ericad|1382131892|3540297 said:
OMG! What a cool ring! The rarity of a piece like this would put me over the edge, easy. Obviously, I say find a way to have both, lol. But dang, that's a neat one of a kind ring!

Thanks, Erica! Coming from you, that's high praise indeed. :bigsmile: And you're right, it IS totally the rarity factor (as well as the weird appeal this cut has for my eyes) that is acting as a motivator. Finding a way to have both might be interesting, though .... :$$):

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
distracts|1382132959|3540306 said:
NO CIRCE THAT IS AN "EVERYDAY RING" CLEARLY.

Why do you think it's less wearable? It has platinum and blue. WEARABLE. DEAL. DONE. BUY IT. IF YOU DON'T I WILL COME AFTER IT AND FIND IT AND BUY IT AND NOT POST PICTURES ON PS.

>though I'd love to know how it could do one thing to the naked eye and another to the camera

The camera has one lens and your eye has two with overlapping fields of vision! Don't we discuss this in RT all the time?

>(Does anybody know what to properly call this, btw? Elongated french cut? Sharp-cornered old mine? Rectangular something-or-other?)

Pure awesomeness.

You actually made me laugh out loud.

But I like the way you think - that would be like the PS version of living well being the best revenge.

I dunno, you're right ... if I wear crinolines to the grocery store on occasion, rocking a stupid-big ring won't exactly be out of character for me. Call it the last vestige of my ... modesty?

And as for the camera having one lens and my eyes having overlapping fields of vision, if we do, I've either scanned past of just passed those discussions like a ship in the night! This makes perfect sense. If you happen to remember any particularly good threads along those lines, though, I'd love some recommended reading!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
yennyfire|1382133315|3540309 said:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't want it, will you buy it for me and I'll wire the funds to you????? Wow, what a gorgeous, unique ring. I'm practically crying it's so gorgeous!

Heheheh - you made me LOL, too! If I pass, you'll be my first e-mail. :cheeky: And from the owner of the oval that started me thinking outside of the round-round-round box, thank you!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I think you should have your cake and eat it too - meaning, don't sell anything, just buy this too. It's a unique piece (like all your pieces), and the coverage is amazing.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
arkieb1|1382138432|3540362 said:
Double OMG!!!! That is WAY cool!!! And the finger coverage is amazing!!! :naughty:

Thanks, Arkie - yeah, it doesn't hurt! The irony is that I always thought the anniversary ring was plenty. :wacko:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1382140096|3540377 said:
Well I love it, but it is NOT an even trade in value for your upgrade ring by any stretch of the imagination. Your round is like 2.5 carats and this one is 1.5. Sure the mount is nice... but c'mon. Sell something else, or just buy this one. but don't sell the honker for it. You can reset your honker a million ways. Heck, go hunt to find the perfect antique mount! But my skin crawls to think you would just swap one for the other.

Your post really made me think ... not just about the financial value (though I should be glad the dealer was as cognizant, given that in my initial fit of french-induced lust, I was eagerly inquiring as to how he felt about swaps), but also emotionally. Because, sure, my feelings got ... mixed ... post the refurb FUBAR, but the stone is still the same stone I got in my last trimester and wore to the hospital when I had my son.

And your post made me mention that to my husband. Sooooooooo ... long story short, keeping the anniversary ring, getting the glove ring, and probably posting a lot more bits and bobs in pre-loved in the near future. My bezeled studs and some more eternities will be a small price to pay, given the level of obsession this thing engendered!

So ... thanks, Dreamer: voice of reason FTW!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sortmon|1382142835|3540407 said:
I think you should have your cake and eat it too - meaning, don't sell anything, just buy this too. It's a unique piece (like all your pieces), and the coverage is amazing.

Heheheheh - I like the way you think! Looks like I'll have my cake and eat it, too, but cut back on the accompanying champagne. :rodent:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anybody know what to properly call this, btw?

Um... yah... ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING THINGS I'VE EVER SEEN, that's what to properly call this.

And "less suited for everyday wear" say's who? Not ME. And not someone who wears crinoline to the grocery store. And not someone who wears jewelry that they really really love just because they really really love it.

Circe, this thing is STUNNING.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, thank goodness you decided exactly what I was thinking!!! :lol: That is a magnficent ring, indeed!!! I adore it! But no, I would never trade the 2.5 OEC for it! So buying it as an extra ring was my thought right in line with Dreamer's thinking, and I see that is what you decided!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: I am envious!!! :love: :love: :love:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Circe you find the most amazing pieces!!! This is way too unique to pass up! Glad you're going for it! :appl:
Now post those pre-loved so we can snatch up the spoils ;))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1382144444|3540426 said:
arkieb1|1382138432|3540362 said:

Thanks, Arkie - yeah, it doesn't hurt! The irony is that I always thought the anniversary ring was plenty. :wacko:

Gosh I didn't even realise you were thinking of trading your 2.50 OEC in on it. Don't do it, that sounds like something you would regret. The plan to sell a stash of smaller things and buy this bad boy as a right hand ring and occasionally left hand ring on the other hand IS a totally cool idea!!! Can you get a better pic of the centre of it, so we can attempt to label it?

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Circe|1382125428|3540223 said:
Hi, Jenn, thanks for weighing in!

I do tend to wear my rings a lot of the time (generally, I only take them off for exercise, cleaning, cooking, or otherwise working with my hands). Since it's bezeled, I think it could stand that level of wear ... though, given the sheer number of stones, that is like a gazillion more possibilities for something to go awry. I mean, I wear my Edwardian dinner ring in those situations ....

... which is also, I think, a pretty fair sign that I won't have any qualms about wearing it on the grounds of size. The nice thing is that it's a lot like it in that it has no protruding bits. The dealer said they used to call them "glove rings," because a lady wouldn't have to worry about them snagging on even her most tight-fitting opera gloves. Who knew!

Well, in that case, I say for sure!! And you take them off for all the really potentially damaging things, so I would not be too worried in all honesty. This one calls to me more than the round, but I am not a round lover, for the most part. And you know, anything French cut, I feel needs to be purchased immediately. ;-)

LOL@ tight fitting opera gloves. ohh, Edwardian era problems.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on making the decision to get the new ring and keep your honker! :bigsmile:

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen anything like it! I guess you bought it? If so, can we have a closer pic of the facet pattern? It looks delicious from here! :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great decision Circe! Now you have the best if both worlds! Can't wait to see more photos!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results