shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom halo ring design at Quest vs Whiteflash? & Diamond melee quality?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I'm getting a custom halo ring made, and have received quotes from both quest and whiteflash.
Their estimates are so similar that I don't think prices will be too much of a factor. I'm more interested in the differences of how they work and their techniques I guess.

Also for the halo, Quest suggested I use E-F , SI2-SI1 diamonds. I would be using 1 to 1.5 pointers.
Whiteflash gave me a quote based on F-G, VS, ACA diamonds, not sure what size, but i had requested 1-1.5pt.

At that ct size, is there a significant difference between which one they use? I don't know what cut Quest uses, and I am not even sure what A Cut Above exactly means in terms of cut. Pete at Quest suggested going w/ whiter diamonds, thus the e-f range. I don't know if at that size, either one will make a significant difference?

The ring design also includes melee diamonds in the shoulder of the shank, a la tiffany legacy style.
And a matching full diamond melee eternity band.

So far my impressions of quest have been very favorable, I've gotten to speak and email directly with the designer Pete, and get his input on my project. I don't know exactly how many diamonds will be used in the melee, or anything, but the fact that they give you CAD images to review before proceeding to the wax stage sounds nice. Plus I've perused the beautiful Quest custom thread and seen the lovely halo rings made for Kaleigh and company.

On the other hand, Whiteflash has a huge thread of a variety of rings. I haven't gotten to speak directly w/ any of the jewelers, but Jamie has been great in anwering my questions and getting a quote for me. WF provided approximately how many diamonds will be used in the melee, and a break down of the elements. But WF also seems much busier and a bit more corporate - how much time will I get to speak w/ and interact with the actual design team during the process? WF goes directly to wax and I assume that's the basis on which you get to approve the design of your ring.

I've read pretty much nothing but wonderful reviews of both companies, although with a much larger number of people having gone thru whiteflash, I not surprised by the few dissenting voices I cam across.
.. oh and the center stone is a sapphire, so there is no issue w/ the halo vs center stone color of white =)

So now I have to pick, and soon as I'd like not to keep them hanging =)
I'd like to have the shank sides of both rings engraved a/ patterns as well - do they usually have stock patterns for you to choose from? and is the engraaving cast into the wax? or later after the platinum is cast?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
If price is no difference I think it would come down to personal comfort with either company. I've worked with both and had a positive experience with both. I chose Quest to reset a stone for me because they replace lost melee(tiny stones) for life and size for free for life and WF said they couldn't make it so I wasn't able to compare costs. They are also very customer service oriented and If I wasn't happy with my ring, they'd remake it until I was. WF has many happy customers as well and if the price is the same it really is a toss up.

as for the melee- ACA- means the melee is cut to ideal aca standards and proprotions. you can read up on the details on WF's website. Usually though in stones that small you really will not see a difference from the aca's and the ideal full cuts Quest uses. all you will see is sparkle.

Sounds like a beautiful design. Please post pics once it's done
1.gif

Is one closer to you? Location can play a part too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
carrottop asked this same question not to long ago. you can read the responses to his thread here

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
great, thanks mrsalvo
thanks for the link. i remember reading that thread now too!
my brain is mush, you know what you feel like you''ve read vitually every thread on this forum ? =)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quest did a great job on my halo ring. I would work with them again in a nano second. But have seen great rings by WF, so either way you''ll get a gorgeous ring. Good luck deciding.

duriofont

Rough_Rock
Hi Londonblue! I can really relate to where you are with the decision you need to make and the fact that your brain at some point seems to be mush.

I just recently purchased my diamond from Whiteflash and am now dealing with Quest for the setting. My experience with both companies is similar. They both seem to place a high priority on customer service and are willing to do what it takes to satisfy me no matter how many times I call or email with a question or concern.

I too have the experience of Whiteflash being busier and not as quick to respond as Quest, but hings went smoother when I stayed with one person for emails and phone calls. Although I was worried about seeming neurotic, I didn''t let it stop me from sending lots of emails to answer my questions or concerns. After all, we are talking about high dollar items that have a lot of sentimental value so who cares about image! Be persistent and clear. Best wishes, Carolyn

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
WF created my custom halo ring. I prefer the ACAs personally. Also WF does not go directly to wax. Prior to beginning on my ring I was sent some computer images (similar to a CAD) so I could see just how it would look. Any changes could be tweaked before work began on the actual ring. WF uses melee in the F-G range but I requested that they use only F's in my ring, as the center diamond is a D. There was no price increase to just use F's. I was thrilled with the result. I have never worked with Quest but have read many great things.

I dealt with Bob the entire time and he was always quick to respond to phone calls and emails.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I''ve done custom rings w/ both, though I''ve yet to see my Quest ring! Should be finished verrrrrry soon though.

My fiance and I far preferred working with Quest though. We had quite a few communication problems w/ WF. Quest seemed much more interested in getting the details of what I wanted right, which I really appreciate when we''re talking about a custom ring.

I do agree that location should play a role too. We live close enough that we were able to drive to Quest to drop off my stone and solidify ring details, which was great.

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
Great, thanks for the input everyone!
we live on the west coast so location doesn''t make much of a difference.. although affordable and quick shipping might =)
We''ve decided to go w/ quest.

As for the halo size, what''s the typical width for simple on sided halos. In other words there''s only a diamonds in the halo on the top, not the sides or bottom. I was thinking of a 2mm width total, that includes milligrained edges and the diamonds would be bead set. What size diamonds would be ideal for that width halo? I''d like the halo to look delicate and not overwhelm the center stone which measures approx 5.7x5.6mm

Most halos w/ a cushion I''ve seen that look nice have an approximate halo to centerstone ratio of 1:3 to 1:3.5
I''m not sure how much the bezel setting will shrink center stone either.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, Quest will do an awesome job. Have you seen my asscher halo ring?? Last thread was titiled Look Nan has her hand on my asscher. You can do a search for it, I don''t know how to do links. My halo was thin and made my stone really pop!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you will be very, very pleased with your decision to choose Quest. Please keep us posted on the progress. We love seeing cads, waxes, every detail around here so feel free to post. We also expect to see pics when it''s done
2.gif

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
We are going with Quest for our custom ring. We have found Pete to be very personable and responsive, plus their prices are quite reasonable for the quality provided. He tactfully gives design suggestions when he thinks we are heading down the wrong path. While I am sure that Whiteflash does great work, I have asked twice for a quote on a custom ring, and was not provided with an answer .... either "yes we can do it, here's the cost" or "that design won't work, here's our suggestion". I figured the first time was a fluke, the 2nd time I decided they must have enough business to keep them busy (this was just last month). In all fairness, there are many satisfied Whiteflash customers on this forum, so we might just be in the .01% that have fallen through the cracks.... which can happen in the best of businesses.

I really can't wait for our new ring from Quest, they are just fantastic to work with! Good luck with your project, keep us updated!
26.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Londonblue,
I think either company will give you an incredible ring. Since you live far from both, that''s not a deciding factor. One big plus with Quest is that they do guarantee their work and will replace a stone if it falls out. I''ve never had a problem with this though. My Quest ring is a year old and I put it in the US a couple times a week. I do like knowing it will be taken care of in the event of a stone loss. I live close enough to Quest that I have met with the brothers on several occasions. They are genuinely nice guys, and definitely easy to communicate with. Can''t wait to see your ring!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results