shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Tacori setting this week help/suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Hi Im a bit new here so please excuse me.
After a bit of debate between the HT 2264 and the HT 2258 Ive decided to go with the HT 2258 as it seems to pop a little more due to the round stones.
Is there any reason why I should reconsider the 2258 for another Tacori?
Found a great deal through sisters on the ring so my next step is to get THE diamond. Looking to spend ~$2k on a ~.75ct or 5mm stone, closer to $1500 would be nice but I can go as high as 2k.
Ive looked at white flash and came up with what I thought were good canidates. What do you think (keep in mind I know very little about diamonds other than a week of reading)

I thought those fit the bill fairly well. Let me know what you think or if you can find a better/good deal on a 3/4ct princess cut. TIA
Tacori-Panda%20ht2258.jpg

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
sorry for the messy post when I tried to group all the photos together it gave me an error

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Also what are the pros/cons of different girdle thicknesses and how do you read the grade?

Ive heard having a pave setting like the 2258 against another pave band can wear the rings out and damage them. How concerned should I be with this? Should this make me reconsider this Tacori?

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Pave rings should not be stacked on top of one another because the diamonds will rub more easily than with other, more protected settings. This can scratch the metal and damage the settings on edge diamonds, increasing the risk of losing the stones. For the best protection, pave rings should be paired with plain wedding bands, not other pave settings that would cause more friction.

My original plan was to pick up the matching Tacori Panda wedding ring but this whole Pave vs Pave stacking scares me. What kind of wedding ring could possibly match up well to the 2258? Is this a legitimate concern or am I worrying about it too much?

Now Im also reading that princess cuts are prone to chipping and damage. Did she just happen to fall in love with the most possibly problematic ring and diamond combo?
8.gif
8.gif
7.gif
39.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't be of mcuh help with the princess stones but I do know you'll want to say with a higher color normally because they do not hide color well. Same goes for clarity I believe. I would also try to make sure the stones you are lookin at are inhouse so the vendor can tell you if it's eyeclean without you having to spend any money calling it in to have a look or even the vendor having to call it in. Regarding the setting, Laney and punchandpie (you can do a search on their names)and threads will pop up, have the Tacori 3 sided pave rings and haven't had any problems with the rubbing issue..

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 8:04:19 AM
Author: mrssalvo
Can''t be of mcuh help with the princess stones but I do know you''ll want to say with a higher color normally because they do not hide color well. Same goes for clarity I believe. I would also try to make sure the stones you are lookin at are inhouse so the vendor can tell you if it''s eyeclean without you having to spend any money calling it in to have a look or even the vendor having to call it in. Regarding the setting, Laney and punchandpie (you can do a search on their names)and threads will pop up, have the Tacori 3 sided pave rings and haven''t had any problems with the rubbing issue..
Thats good to hear about the rubbing and I figure if worse comes to worse she can wear them different hands. How do those stones look as far as clarity and color? Any other help?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would stick to gia or ags graded ''h'' and above. you can find good ''eye clean'' si2 stones, but it would take some effort. if you want to be certain of getting an ''eye clean'' stone, you may want to go with vs clarity and above. for princess stones, i would stay away from extremely-very thin girdles. those long lines of girdle are more prone to chips and you are just asking for trouble with thin-thin.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a great tutorial here on PS that I''d encourage you to read, if you haven''t already. Also, Good Old Gold has an excellent tutorial on their website too.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
MrsS is correct, I have a Tacori 3 sided pave ring and love it. The one you picked is beautiful! I had my rings soldered together for convenience and better fit on my finger, so that will pretty much solve the rubbing thing for me. Laney's rings are seperate and she has posted in the past that she has had no problems with the rings rubbing or damaging each other.

Before I soldered mine, they fit pretty snug and flush anyway that they really didnt move around on my finger and rub against each other anyway. i sometimes heard them "clank" so i soldered them so they wouldnt. maybe laney will pop in and share her experience so far.

good luck!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 5:06:09 AM
Author: Golfer2000
My original plan was to pick up the matching Tacori Panda wedding ring but this whole Pave vs Pave stacking scares me. What kind of wedding ring could possibly match up well to the 2258?

There are two options available for "matching bands" for the HT2258 Tacori design from the Panda Collection. A fitted band which is HT2258B that will fit with the band by following the contour of the design; and HT2259B which is the straight band that is recommended by Tacori as a matching band for this ring if a straight ring is desired - note that the straight ring will not sit flush with the engagement ring and will stick out from the top of the ring because it will be pushed out by the head configuration.

As far as princess cut diamonds being prone to chipping and damage, they "can be" especially if there are significant inclusions such as extensive feathers (minute cracks) in the tips of the diamond, smaller feathers may not present any sort of durability risk. Note that the tips of the diamond are covered by the prongs in the HT2258 design so this risk is minimized. It may be possible to cause damage to the tips of the diamond if it is removed from the setting at some point in the future, but this is always a risk when removing a diamond from a setting.

White Flash produces a really nice Princess! Good luck with your quest and congratulations on your upcoming engagement!
1.gif

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Thanks for setting my mind at east regarding the pave rubbing issues. Im going to call them and place the order now :) Can you post a picture of your soldered Tacori? Are there any downsides to a thick girdle?

edit* they arent answering
7.gif

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 4:02:47 PM
Author: niceice
Date: 3/27/2006 5:06:09 AM

My original plan was to pick up the matching Tacori Panda wedding ring but this whole Pave vs Pave stacking scares me. What kind of wedding ring could possibly match up well to the 2258?

There are two options available for ''matching bands'' for the HT2258 Tacori design from the Panda Collection. A fitted band which is HT2258B that will fit with the band by following the contour of the design; and HT2259B which is the straight band that is recommended by Tacori as a matching band for this ring if a straight ring is desired - note that the straight ring will not sit flush with the engagement ring and will stick out from the top of the ring because it will be pushed out by the head configuration.

As far as princess cut diamonds being prone to chipping and damage, they ''can be'' especially if there are significant inclusions such as extensive feathers (minute cracks) in the tips of the diamond, smaller feathers may not present any sort of durability risk. Note that the tips of the diamond are covered by the prongs in the HT2258 design so this risk is minimized. It may be possible to cause damage to the tips of the diamond if it is removed from the setting at some point in the future, but this is always a risk when removing a diamond from a setting.

White Flash produces a really nice Princess! Good luck with your quest and congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

1.gif

I didnt know about the different bands are they listed on your site? Thanks for the kind words and help!

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 4:07:54 PM
Thanks for setting my mind at east regarding the pave rubbing issues. Im going to call them and place the order now :) Can you post a picture of your soldered Tacori? Are there any downsides to a thick girdle?

7.gif

Sorry Golfer, I was at work when I posted the original post!

Here is a link to the thread with my set after they were soldered FYI:

soldering thread

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 7:09:40 PM
Author: PunchNPie75
Date: 3/27/2006 4:07:54 PM

7.gif

Sorry Golfer, I was at work when I posted the original post!

Here is a link to the thread with my set after they were soldered FYI:

soldering thread
Thanks for the link they look good.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know ANYTHING about PR cuts but I just wanted to say congratulations on picking out a beautiful Tacori!
30.gif
She will LOVE it. They are very special designs!

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 11:36:58 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I don't know ANYTHING about PR cuts but I just wanted to say congratulations on picking out a beautiful Tacori!
30.gif
She will LOVE it. They are very special designs!
Indeed they are. I have always been attracted to their designs and quality.

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
I hope to place the order on the setting today but I havent picked out the stone yet. I know more or less what size I want but will that be enough or do they need an exact size of the stone when placing the order. Here are a few more I picked out with your suggestions. A bit cleaner or less color and thicker girdles:
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=9813357
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=9442303
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=9442301
Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for all of the help! :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hi golfer. the princess stones you posted are not inhouse at WF. I would suggest looking at princess stones in their expert selection. They have those stones there and can take a look at them in person for you. I personally like the vendor to actually have the stone I want in stock and not have to call it in.

here''s the link to their expert selection stones. If you see one of two that look good you can just call up WF and ask them to look at it for you. They will be honest and tell you if it''s eyeclean and how much sparkle and life it has. I''m by no means an expert and no little about princess cuts, but if I was looking for one, that''s what I''d do. You might also try contacting jonathan at Good Old Gold and telling him what you are looking for and your budget.

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 8:17:00 AM
hi golfer. the princess stones you posted are not inhouse at WF. I would suggest looking at princess stones in their expert selection. They have those stones there and can take a look at them in person for you. I personally like the vendor to actually have the stone I want in stock and not have to call it in.

here''s the link to their expert selection stones. If you see one of two that look good you can just call up WF and ask them to look at it for you. They will be honest and tell you if it''s eyeclean and how much sparkle and life it has. I''m by no means an expert and no little about princess cuts, but if I was looking for one, that''s what I''d do. You might also try contacting jonathan at Good Old Gold and telling him what you are looking for and your budget.
Thanks I thought all whitehouse stuff was inhouse, guess I was wrong. Ill take a look at those in the link, thanks.

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
I just tried their expert selection of princess cut, and I couldnt find anything in the size Im lookinjg for.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 2:10:55 PM
I just tried their expert selection of princess cut, and I couldnt find anything in the size Im lookinjg for.

they apparantly don't have anything in stock right now. You might also check with
goodoldgold.com bill at icemine wink at winfields and Mark T at engagementringsdirect. they are all great vendors. many times the decision of where to purchase your stone will be determined by who has the one you are looking for in stock. Also, if you chose to work with Mark T. he is located in the diamond district. if you see a stone on Blue Nile you are interested in, you can call him and he can literally walk across the street and look at it for you and many times beat Blue Niles price. He just helped a fellow pricescoper find a beautiful princess. I'll see if I can find the thread.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is Ianmac''s thread. he was looking for a princess recently and ended up going with Mark t. Check out his story, I think it will be very helpful for you.

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 2:24:14 PM
Date: 3/28/2006 2:10:55 PM

they apparantly don''t have anything in stock right now. You might also check with

goodoldgold.com bill at icemine wink at winfields and Mark T at engagementringsdirect. they are all great vendors. many times the decision of where to purchase your stone will be determined by who has the one you are looking for in stock. Also, if you chose to work with Mark T. he is located in the diamond district. if you see a stone on Blue Nile you are interested in, you can call him and he can literally walk across the street and look at it for you and many times beat Blue Niles price. He just helped a fellow pricescoper find a beautiful princess. I''ll see if I can find the thread.

Wow thanks for all of the links I will see what they have to offer. While I have a decent idea what to look for the whole table and depth is what I cant seem to grasp to help know if its a deal or not.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 6:39:38 PM
Can anyone help me find a nice 3/4ct princess for less than 2500? :hs:

I like the look of this one from GOG. it''s an I so I''d call jonathan and ask how it looks in person but I think it would look fine in your tacori setting..

link to diamond

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Hi -

Just wanted to chime in. I have tacori rings that are the full eternity. I haven''t had any problems at all yet with wear with them side by side. I wear them everyday as well. They fit snug - and don''t "spin" against one another - so there''s not really rubbing going on - if that makes any sense.

I also have a 2ct H color Round brillant in the setting and have no color/trouble with the sidestones at an F/G color.

They are beautiful rings - great choice!!!

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 6:49:04 PM
Date: 3/29/2006 6:39:38 PM

Can anyone help me find a nice 3/4ct princess for less than 2500? :hs:

I like the look of this one from GOG. it''s an I so I''d call jonathan and ask how it looks in person but I think it would look fine in your tacori setting..

link to diamond

Im by no means a diamond expert but isnt that a bit pricey for an "I" VS2 diamond? I mean the ideal cuts are, well, ideal but its the other aspects that arent that appealing.

Golfer2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 11:39:36 PM
Author: laney
Hi -

Just wanted to chime in. I have tacori rings that are the full eternity. I haven''t had any problems at all yet with wear with them side by side. I wear them everyday as well. They fit snug - and don''t ''spin'' against one another - so there''s not really rubbing going on - if that makes any sense.

I also have a 2ct H color Round brillant in the setting and have no color/trouble with the sidestones at an F/G color.

They are beautiful rings - great choice!!!
Well that is great news I was a bit scared at first but its nice to have my fears put to rest, and thats good considering I already placed the order
36.gif
That stone of yours is amazing sadly I will be going with something a bit smaller but with a size 4, I hope it will looks decent in size.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results