shape
carat
color
clarity

Aussie considering online diamond purchase

Supers

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I''ve been lurking for the past few weeks trying to gather more knowledge, but think I''m just getting more confused and overwhelmed with all the options, hence my first post.

Today, the BF and I went to Holloway Diamonds - our first scouting trips, primarily as I''d heard how great Holloway Diamonds are. They were beautiful, but I suspect that there may be better buys online... purely from a price perspective. Mind you, I''m a total novice, so I could be off track...

I''d be happy with a diamond of 0.8 carats and up, D-G, VS1-SI2 (as long as it''s eyeclean). Cut is important - I want sparkles and fire. While bigger would be nice, realistically I''ve got a size 4.5 finger, so would probably get good coverage from something smaller? The BF said the budget for the whole ring is around $7K but willing to go to $10K. I''m also conscious of not overspending as I think the money saved would go towards a great holiday/other bills etc.

In terms of setting, I''d like something with shoulder diamonds like these but in yellow gold (with white/platinum setting):

Petite Pave Set Cathedral

Whiteflash Pave

I''ve always loved round brilliants but have been looking at videos of the August Vintage Cushions on GOG and could easily have one of them! However, doing a search on Pricescope and GOG, there are obviously heaps more RB diamonds out there than AVCs. When I compare the cheapest available AVC with an RB of similar specs and price from GOG, I can''t tell if the AVC ASET is any good?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7138/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6889/

Should I just concentrate on RBs for more bang for my buck?

I''m obviously a bit wary about making such a large purchase online. I know a few of my fellow Aussies have had great success (I''ve read about Cushion Novice''s AVC and Arjunajane''s customs paperwork) so hoping they can chime in with wisdom / reassurance on the whole process and if there is anything else I need to consider?

Sorry for the long post - I know I''m sounding a bit all over the place - it''s late!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

CushionNovice

Shiny_Rock
Hi Supers!
I have to brief as I''m spending the long weekend with a kidney infection (both sides, why do this by half?) so I don''t have a long attention spam at the mo.
15.gif

I guess it really comes down to if you have a preference in shape? Obviously I''m a sucker for the cushion shape so it was an easy choice for me. And for me finding the AVC whilst scary ordering online - was such a bonus as I hadn''t seen anything like it in Australia.

I had a peek at the avc and I wanted to show you this one that I had been looking at for a friend

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6463/

its a little more money but also spready-er and the ASET/LW ratio looks great to my eye. However of course there will be many experts that will be able to put there more experienced opinions to this. Just thought I''d show you one I really liked in my novice opinion. I can''t comment at all on rounds...I guess it depends again on what type of look you are going for?

I looked at the your settings link (first one I couldn''t see actually) - The second one is lovely, I wondered how you feel about 2.5 thickness in the band? I was thinking with your petite fingers, if you had a thinner band it would make the AVC stand out more. A friend of mine has a .92 centre stone (not AVC) with a 1.8mm band on a 3.5 finger and it seriously looks HUGE on her little fingers. Just something to think about (PS Lucky cow with your skinny fingers!). If you do a search on here for 2.05 GOG and JBEG you will see a gorgeous example of a AVC with a pave band - it''s one of my favourites on here (but that changes every week!).

I think you could find a jeweller in Australia to do a simple setting with a GOG. (What city are you in btw?)

I may be blabbering a bit and I''m not sure if I''ve anwered your question!
25.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Supers, and welcome..

It sounds like you are doing your homework and on the right track..

As far as deciding between an AVC and an RB, have you checked out Jon from GOG''s many detailed comparison videos?
I know they are not the same as the real thing, but about as close as you can get - they are very informative for comparing how the different cuts may behave in varying lighting environments, plus for deciding which you like the appearance of best
2.gif

(Just go to Vimeo, type in something like "GOG Cushion" in the search and you''ll find the account..)

On this point, I am happy to share my story with you - I originally purchased a Signature H&A RB from GOG, 1.25ct K SI1. Fabulous diamond, great size, in my eyes as white as could be, totally eyeclean..(You will find my thread around with tons of pics if you like, let me know if you need a link).
Well, some ways down the track I had to ''downgrade'' due to financial difficulties after losing my job during the GFC..
Jon sorted me out with a 1.08ct M SI1 AVC - yes it was a reasonable downgrade in size, and a couple steps down in colour, but as soon as that cushion arrived I did not regret the decision for one second, and still don''t to this day. I love that diamond and get a ton of comments on it where ever I go, even at a smaller size..
Here is my downgrade thread, in which there are comparison photos and I give my personal impression of comparing an RB vs an AVC..

As far as being concerned about dealing with vendors such as GOG, WF, BGD, JbEG - all I can is please do not worry!
As well as those two diamonds, I have purchased coloured gemstones and custom jewellery from PS recommended vendors, and have not had issue one with any transaction what so ever.
Many have heard me say this, but I have pretty much resigned myself to never purchasing any gems or jewellery in Au again...I feel 100% safe and looked after by the PS vendors, their prices and quality are much better, and I have experienced first hand the fantastic lengths many of them will go to to ensure your happiness - I have never experienced this level of commitment to customer service from any Au jeweller (unfortunately)
7.gif

As far as size, I hear what you are saying about having smaller fingers (lucky duck) and not needing a massive diamond. One thing you may want to consider is DSS (shrinkage) though - it does happen, and to many PSers very quickly, lol..
For your budget, you could happily obtain a ~1ct diamond (such as the AVC beauty CN linked to), setting aside ~$1500-2000 for a pave setting like the ones you have mentioned.
For an indication of finger coverage, my size is 5.75 so my 1.08ct AVC would probably look roughly like what a ~0.85ct would do on your 4.5 finger..(does that make sense?)..although having a blingy band such as yours will also give a bit more impact
5.gif

I hope this info has been of some help - for assessing and comparing the technical aspects of different diamonds, I prefer to leave that up to our resident RT pro''s - but I really enjoy helping fellow Aussies discover the possibilities of the US vendors, and hopefully find their dream ring (and of course helping them import it duty free, he he!), so please do ask if I can help with anything else.

Good luck, and congrats on the upcoming engagement!
AJ
35.gif

Supers

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both Cushion Novice and Arjunajane for your advice.

Cushion Novice - what a bummer being sick on the long weekend - although it''s pretty cold out, so nice to stay in and be warm! I''ve checked out that AVC - and was very keen on it.

Not sure why that first link didn''t work - my amateur attempt at posting I guess, but it is a Blue Nile setting, 1.5mm band which would probably suit better than a 2.5mm band.
Blue Nile setting

I have seen that 2.05 AVC in JBEG setting - it has the fleur de lis basket which I loved, but I think I prefer shanks that come up.

I could probably get a local jeweller in Melbourne to set the diamond - just a matter of finding a good one to work with I guess.

Arjunajane - thanks for that thread on your downgrade. Great comment about a diamond not wanting to sit there and just be white. I suppose I like the idea of a white diamond (as is tradition), but honestly, I''ve never had a diamond ring, so perhaps a bit of colour would actually add to the fancy cut.

I''m definitely leaning towards getting something online... so may have to ask your advice later down the track on duty free etc. I think I am going to get better value and something more unique online. It''s just a shame that the AUD is dropping.

Thanks again ladies! :)

CushionNovice

Shiny_Rock
Funny I went looking on blue nile earlier for you and that''s the setting I found. I like it! With teeny fingers and an AVC on it WOW.
18.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results