shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any experience buying from stardustantiques.com or newyorkestatejewelry.com? I''m considering purchasing an antique cushion /OMC offered by these vendors - I''ve had my heart set on an antique stone for awhile and since a lot of old stones aren''t certified, it makes me a little nervous to buy over the internet...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2005 12:21:30 AM
Author:tiger007g

a lot of old stones aren't certified, it makes me a little nervous to buy over the internet...
Yeah.. but they can get certified. Not all labs give a color&clarity garde for set diamonds, but some (EGL at least) do give certificates stating that the stones were graded as mounting allows.

The same kind of reality check can be obtained from an appraiser during the return period (if the seller has a return policy, that is).

Some settings allow a better guess than others.

It is not inconceivable to have the ring sent by the seller to an independent appraiser where you could review it. Some agree to this...

Loose OMC with GIA certs are not impossible to find either. But this leaves you to find a setting and it may be hard (and expensive) to locate one as well made as an intricate old piece. What do you have in mind ?

Orange

Rough_Rock
I haven''t bought anything from either of those places, but I''ve gone into Stardust Antiques to browse. Have you been to these places in person, or only online? It''s a very cute shop, and the owner was very pleasant and helpful.

I recently bought an antique-style cushion, and Leon Mege is making the setting. You could go a similar route, and have a jewler create an antique-inspired design. Also, you will be paying a slight premium by buying from these antique sellers.

Here''s the link to my stone: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/not-a-ring-yet-but-heres-my-very-own-cushion.28598/

Also, faycullen.com and antiqueengagementrings.com sell mountings, so you could get a certified stone to set into one of those.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Have you checked out www.nelsonrarities.com ?? I''ve done business with them and have been highly impressed.

They have a large inventory of antique engagement rings (more than they show on their website) and I know that with their better old stones, they often have them taken out of their mountings, re polished, and GIA certified before they offer the pieces for sale...

widget

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Hi Orange! Your ring is going to be awesome!!
1.gif

I haven''t been to the stores in person - only online, which is why I''m trying to see if anyone has some feedback about the vendors.

I''ve attached a photo of the ring from stardust antiques that I''m considering. It''s in a repro setting, so I may just buy the stone and also go the custom route for the ring. The stone is 1.75ct, H VS1 (uncertified).

I''m also looking these:
http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=859&category_id=3
http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=961&category_id=3

ring05a.jpg

Orange

Rough_Rock
Those are beautiful! However, I personally would be wary of purchasing an I-K, SI diamond without seeing it in person. What sort of return policies do these places have? You could see the ring in person and have it appraised and if you don''t like it you could send it back.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2005 11:10:23 AM
Author: tiger007g

I'm also looking these:...

Wow!
2.gif

DSCN6145.jpg
DSCN7338.jpg

2.6 cts K / VS1 (no lab report) 2.8 cts H/I SI1 EGL (split color grade should come from the stone having been graded set)

Both rings look great but the first seting (the one with the K color) is amazing !

http://www.singlestone.com/ringselection/6.html Singlestone and Karen Bleifer might provide some more options. At the very least worth browsing
2.gif

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the kind words!

The return policy is straightforward at stardust antiques. I think it''s a full refund within 7 days (minus shipping etc.) no questions asked. I definitely plan to take the ring (whichever one I end up choosing) immediately to an appraiser. The policy at newyorkestatejewelry.com from their website:

"We guarantee 100% authenticity of all our jewelry! If the item that was send to you was not what it was presented to be or if it was damaged in any way, you have 7 days to return a product for a full refund, except for the Insurance charges and any other extra charges that occurred during that transaction. However, after 7 days you can only exchange the item or get a store credit."

I guess that means that if the stone is appraised at less than 2.6 K/VS1 or 2.8 H/I SI1, then you can get a full refund?? I will have to get more clarification from them.

The cert on the 2.8 states that the girdle is "ex. thin to very thick". The extremely thin girdle could be a problem, right?

If I had the $$, I''d buy all three!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2005 11:51:40 AM

I guess that means that if the stone is appraised at less than 2.6 K/VS1 or 2.8 H/I SI1, then you can get a full refund?? I will have to get more clarification from them.
Hm... that statement is rather far from "no questions asked". The pictures do not amount to a perfect representation of those diamonds, as usual: brilliance and color cannot be shown in a very realistic way even if they tried allot harder. It sounds only fair that they let you see the goods in person before the transaction becomes final.

Perhaps they could send the ring to an independent appraiser of your choice so you cna see it and still have the right to return it "no questions asked" ? Not all shops agree to this, but perhaps these guys would.
38.gif

About that girdle: it could mean trouble or not, as you say. It would certainly help to be able to inspect the ring and see what the lab report is talking about.

just my 0.2, as usual.

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Widget -

I did in fact call Nelsons Rarities. I spoke to someone several weeks ago who was very helpful on the phone. We discussed what I was looking for and he told me that he would send me some photos and they never materialized. Maybe I should try calling again...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes you should call them back. I''ve heard great things about them but also know you kind of have to keep on them as well. Good luck!!

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to update everyone - I got in touch with Nelson Rarities this afternoon, and they had this awesome stone to offer. It''s 2.75 ct. I, VS1. It is sadly, a bit out of my price range at $18,000.
8.gif
It''s currently in an earring. Can you imagine wearing a pair of these puppies?!

Nelsonsrarities.jpg

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2005 12:05:19 PM
Widget -

I did in fact call Nelsons Rarities. I spoke to someone several weeks ago who was very helpful on the phone. We discussed what I was looking for and he told me that he would send me some photos and they never materialized. Maybe I should try calling again...
I HAVE HAD THE MOST HORRENDOUS EXPERIENCES WITH NELSON RARITIES........I VE HEARD SIMILAR STORIES AS MY OWN PLUS A COMMENT OR TWO FROM THOSE WITH POSITIVE EXPERIENCES.......................

THEY ARE NON-RESPONSIVE MOST OF THE TIME--NEVER CAME THROUGH WITH PHOTOS PROMISED NUMEROUS TIMES ETC ETC...................A COMPLETE JOKE!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2005 9:17:10 PM
I wanted to update everyone - I got in touch with Nelson Rarities this afternoon, and they had this awesome stone to offer. It''s 2.75 ct. I, VS1. It is sadly, a bit out of my price range at $18,000.
8.gif
It''s currently in an earring. Can you imagine wearing a pair of these puppies?!
Sure can ! the picture is terrific... I can only imagine what the gem looks like in person.

There might not be many enough oldies to go around, but that has been taken care of. Simply put: given demand from buyers just like you the old mine style has beed dusted off and made new again. You can find OMC diamonds cut fresh. Like this one
34.gif
They surely have the look and perhaps better cut (better finish at least) than the oldies that sometimes come battered.

DiaGemOMC.jpg

The picture comes from this thread. It was pocted by Dia Gem and you may find meangful hints about these old mine cuts alongside as well - worth a click.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about OEC ?

This resides at Wink Jones for now ...

302-OEC_wink.JPG

3.02 cts and VS & slightly warm (can't remember what grade if it was even mentioned). There's more about it this thread. It was "cheap" relative to your budget...

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock

I just got photos and a cert of the following stone from Fay Cullen:

2.39 ct.
I
VS1
Old Mine Brilliant
8.49mm x 8.01mm x 5.49
Depth: 65.6%
Table: 48%
Crown: 20.40%
Pavilion 40.50%
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick
Culet: large
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Fair

What do you guys think?

001r.jpg

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Side View.

Is it just me, or does the stone seem more round than cushion-shaped?

002r.jpg

Orange

Rough_Rock
From the pic, it definitely looks more like an OMC than a cushion. I don''t know much about OMCs, but the table looks a little low (might not be bad), and I''m not sure whether "fair" symmetry shoud be avoided in an OMC. How do you feel about the large culet? Also, my personal preference would be to find a stone with higher color and lower clarity. These older cuts are so difficult!! Is this one certified? And how did the price compare to PS?

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
I think most OMCs are cushion-shaped. Please someone correct me if I''m not accurate in saying this!! The cert is an EGL - the seller was very frank about EGL not being the best, but he felt that the color on this stone was right on the money. I like the larger culet - I think it adds to the charm. You''re right about it not being very cushion-like, which I find a bit disappointing...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it is one roundish stone. "Fair symmetry" is not that uncommon for these oldies but higher finish grades are found.

If you like it as is I can't see any fundamental fault with this one: it makes a charming pebble - a whole different species than the geometrically perfect modern cuts.

This is not to say that the uneven outline and inbetween shape add up to some fabled pedigree, 'cause they are not. These stones are to be taken one at a time, IMO.

Most OMC are squareish cushions, but there are roundish and oval ones and pears. The name designates a period and style of faceting rather than shape. I would not know what to call this but OMC myself.

Just my 0.2. There's no reason not to look further if this piece is not for you.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
www.nelsonrarities.com

THEY ARE NON-RESPONSIVE MOST OF THE TIME--NEVER CAME THROUGH WITH PHOTOS PROMISED NUMEROUS TIMES ETC ETC...................A COMPLETE JOKE!

I''d never heard of them, so I had a look at their website. They don''t seem too hot on historic accuracy:

"ABOUT VICTORIAN JEWELRY

The reign of Queen Victoria was the longest monarchy in history. During her reign jewelry went through various phases. The first phase in Victorian jewelry was "mourning" jewelry [...] This type of jewelry reached a zenith when Queen Victoria''s husband, Prince Phillip died. The whole English empire mourned the death of her beloved."

Prince who? The English empire?

I hope they''re more trustworthy with their diamond descriptions than they are with their history.
34.gif

scoutfinch

Shiny_Rock
tiger,
What is Fay Cullens return policy on diamonds? I too love the OMC and OEC.. this one is pretty but can you examine it before commiting?

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Cinnabar, that''s funny--doesn''t bode too well for accuracy in general for them.

Maybe Prince Albert should send them a note on behalf of the entire British Empire.
2.gif

scoutfinch

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/24/2005 5:40:29 PM
I think most OMCs are cushion-shaped. Please someone correct me if I''m not accurate in saying this!! The cert is an EGL - the seller was very frank about EGL not being the best, but he felt that the color on this stone was right on the money. I like the larger culet - I think it adds to the charm. You''re right about it not being very cushion-like, which I find a bit disappointing...
Tiger,
Just my opinion, but if you want a more cushion shape, I''d keep looking... theyre out there.
1.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to threadjack, but Scoutfinch, you have a great username!!

As far as Fay Cullen, I''m not sure if their loose stone return policies are the same as finished pieces....but they''re pretty stringent w/ exhanges.

scoutfinch

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/26/2005 5:58:12 PM
Author: blueroses
Sorry to threadjack, but Scoutfinch, you have a great username!!

As far as Fay Cullen, I''m not sure if their loose stone return policies are the same as finished pieces....but they''re pretty stringent w/ exhanges.
Thanks, blueroses, as do you! Im from the south and grew up not far from Harper Lee, who as you know wrote the book. My life was sooo like that of the character..

As far as Fay Cullen, I thought they were pretty strict about returns on jewelry... not sure about loose stones. I just cant imagine buying a diamond without seeing it first or having the option to return.. especially old cuts which vary so much.. but I''m new at this..

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree, Old cut are an item you must see or visualize before purchase.
No cert. will describe an old cut, only your eyes can be the judge!!!!!

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Fay Cullen''s return policy on stones is MUCH more liberal than their policy for jewelry. Eduardo handles all the loose stone inquiries and is extremely nice and helpful. There is no re-stock fee, and the inspection period is significantly longer (I think it''s a week). They were willing to make arrangements to send the stone to Dave Atlas to be inspected before payment if I liked the stone.

Scoutfinch & Diagem - I completely agree with you! I''m going to keep looking for the cushion-shape. I''m in no hurry!

Another P''scoper in NYC was actually at Stardust Antiques yesterday and she had asked if I wanted her to check out the ring I had posted earlier... she gave it good reviews
1.gif
It''s a 7x8 stone, and I had originally wanted something around 8x8, but I''m not sure that the extra mm is worth a price difference of $7-8000!

I''ve seen a lot of posts comparing RBCs of different diameters... Size-wise, will the stone appear that much smaller?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results