shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I beyond stupid or what? Need advice on selling diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Ok this might be long so bear with me. I want to give you the facts as they are.

Two years ago, I bought a designer setting from a jeweler in the diamond district for a bit less than the B&M wanted for it. This particular jeweler had nothing that interested me in the way of a diamond so I looked and looked until I found something I liked. Fast forward two years. I decided to remount my original diamond in a setting I had liked better to start with and I had called that jeweler who sold me the original to see if he could get the new one for a better price. He jacked me around for weeks trying to see if he could deal with someone who sold this brand, since he didn''t and just stopped calling me back. Finally, I bought it from someone else which was fine. He had tried to tell me I didn''t want that one, then he tried to tell me he could make it. Personally, I think his stuff isn''t that nice, and this was a Michael B setting. I know his profit would be higher on the one they made. He is telling me he can make it for $700 less than MB wants but I figure his will look like crap and he will still make a bunch of $$.

He had told me he would buy back my original setting for 25% less than I paid for it. Again, I said fine. Then, I got a bug up my a$$ and decided I loved the Regent cut better than mine and before I told DH I might want to get a different diamond, I wanted to see it in person so I ordered it thinking if I didn''t like it, I had 30 days to return it. Well, I loved it and called my jeweler to ask if he would buy my diamond. He said yes, or he could sell it on consignment, which I figured meant he would sell it for $x and give me a % of $x. When I asked him about that, he was vague and told me that based on my size and clarity, it was worth around $10k a ct. I figured I would get about 75-80% of that but we both agreed I needed to get it GIA certified first so we knew what we were dealing with. In a subsequent conversation of me asking how much I might expect for it ,he informed me that he had thought it was one clarity grade higher and the price would be closer to $8,500 per ct, which ticked me off because I might not have done it but ok, fine.Let''s wait til we get it back from GIA to worry. I get it back from GIA and he tells me based on the grading, it is $9k per ct but starts spouting on and on all this bs about discounts and yada, yada. I just ask him what I can expect to get. He is trying not to say it outright (I call it doubletalk) but he wants to take it on consignment and he wants me to give him a number I will take and he will pocket anything above that. Again, I don''t necessarily have a problem with that. He keeps saying ''tell me what YOU want out of the ring. He thinks I have a better shot putting it mounted in his window. I tell him a number and he is now going to have to ''check with his boss and call me back''. Never calls me. I call him back. His boss is out til Monday. Monday, he never calls. Finally, I call him today. His boss went home with a migraine (caused by having him as an employee, no doubt). He is doubletalking again about discounts and yada, yada. He has to get the number approved by his boss, which he is not telling me is closer to a number much less than I said I wanted to get but he can''t guarantee that amount because it is on consignment.

I think he is a total slimebucket and I would just prefer not to do any business with him. I know I can put it out on EBay or here (I think) and try to sell it. Can anyone make suggestions? I have only bought on EBAY, never sold. Would anyone buy something so expensive from a seller who hasn''t sold before? How much will it cost me to do it that way?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

So, he won''t tell me how much he sells it for. He won''t tell me a bottom line number how much I will get if he does sell it. He keeps telling me to ''bring the ring in''. I know why he wants me to do this. He will sell it and get whatever he can and lie to me about how much he gets and offer me a number much lower because there is no agreement in writing. Was I born yesterday? Uhhhh...NO. I want a bottom line number BEFORE I bring it in. He thinks once it is in there, I will be desperate to get rid of it and he can hose me.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, it sounds like this particular jeweler is a little bit of a hassle to work with.

That said, I am positive that there is more than one jeweler in the world that would take your ring on consignment. In fact, that is the route I would probably take, instead of ebay, at least for now.

Why not call a few jewelers and see what thier policies are for consignment pieces. If you''d like them to set the price, they will probably need to see an apprasial and/or any certs you have on the stone and the setting. If it is left up to you to set the price - keep in mind that people won''t pay for a stone/setting that is an "estate" piece, for what they can get new. They just won''t. So, see what your stone price would be in todays market (a current appraisal could help you tremenously) then knock some money off for you, and the consignment place. A good price will help you sell it fast.

Not that selling at top dollar - you wouldn''t find a person to buy - it just might take longer.

As for e-bay - you may want to do a search here on pricescope. There was one person who did buy and was happy w/ebay purchase of someones stone. They set it up so that it could be appraised *before* money was exchanged - so that they buyer felt safe. Anyway - that really wasn''t the issue. The issue was that he was unsure about giving his girlfriend a "used" ring. He got over it - but it might be a good thread for you to read - just so you know what legitimate buyers may think - and then make your posting accordingly.

Good Luck!

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I know it's not an "estate" piece. Sometimes they call it that as a nice way to say "gently used". People want new pieces, not something that was worn by another person - even if it was for two years. So they use that term because it's nicer.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 5:53:39 PM
Author: laney
As for e-bay - you may want to do a search here on pricescope. There was one person who did buy and was happy w/ebay purchase of someones stone. They set it up so that it could be appraised *before* money was exchanged - so that they buyer felt safe. Anyway - that really wasn''t the issue. The issue was that he was unsure about giving his girlfriend a ''used'' ring. He got over it - but it might be a good thread for you to read - just so you know what legitimate buyers may think - and then make your posting accordingly.

Here''s the ebay thread
4.gif
Best of luck to you Allison!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results