shape
carat
color
clarity

After research, I'm having trust issues with Jewelers...

J11SLBA

Rough_Rock
After doing thorough research, I'm having trust issues with Jewelers after seeing all these stories about jewelers just swapping out diamonds.

I'm a detail guy, I care about all the details and I know exactly what I want too. It's just a matter of who to trust or even how to make sure they aren't screwing you over!

Any insight on this?

For those that are wondering what I'm getting and won't budge on it (but you are welcome to give your opinion on it, I'm open minded although when it comes to this I'm very dedicated);

1.5-1.55 carat with an E grade, cushion with a brilliant, excellent or very good cut and anywhere from IF to VS1.

Budget for the diamond alone is 10k-12k and for the band since it's a split shank ring with diamonds and platinum or 14/18k white gold, I figure anywhere from $1,750 to $2,350.

I'm nervous cause I set up a meeting to meet a wholesaler in the city and as much as I know what I want, I still feel like he's going to try to rip me off even though I know he's GIA certified and it will be GIA certified.

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A reputable jeweler will not risk his reputation for 20k.

Where are you located? We can point you to a good local jeweler, maybe.

Work with only jewelers with an on site bench, not places that send out to other benches, for any repair work.

Learn to loupe your diamond for inclusion "birthmarks" so you can always spot yours. You are better off with a VS2 or SI1 that is eyeclean for that. I have a VS1 (pre-pricescope purchase) and I can't find my inclusions with a standard loupe.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you do your homework , you are right. You will probably get ripped off. Starting with the Wholesaler. Wholesalers can't sell you diamonds. Lie number one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WhiteRock|1413603286|3768909 said:
For my own knowledge : why can't wholesalers sell him diamonds?
He's not a retailer.

Wholesalers sell to retailers.
Retailers sell to the public.

A diamond seller who will sell you a diamond but call him/herself a wholesaler just waved a big red flag.
If they are lying about that, what else might they lie about?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
a true wholesaler doesn't sell in "each" they sell in "bulk". Any jeweler who will sell to Joe public in "each" quantities is lying about being a wholesaler. They are a retailer.

You want to avoid these people. Why? Cause they are misrepresenting themselves from the get go.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also you don't need VS1. You can't tell an eyeclean SI from a VS1 with your naked eyes. You also don't need a D or E unless it is for cultural reasons. Most people will just as fine with an accurately graded F and yes, even a G . And yes, they will still be "icy white". But please don't run around saying "icy white" that alone shouts "newbie, take advantage of me".

Your best bet is to get as educated as you can.

Since you are looking for cushions, please read these two threads. In order. And click on the links we post and study the knowledge there.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-and-looking-for-help-choosing-cushion-cut-diamond-to-oz.205195/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-and-looking-for-help-choosing-cushion-cut-diamond-to-oz.205195/[/URL]
and
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/#post-3763672#p3763672']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/#post-3763672#p3763672[/URL]

Knowledge is your friend.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would very highly recommend something with a not so high clarity grade too, the best way to avoid swapping.I love lower clarity grades because I love their birthmarks and they are very easy to identify. It should not matter but this way I can tell which stone is which in my earrings. There are other ways to tell such as measuring the diamond, lasering the diamond, etc., but the checking against the clarity plot is the best IMHO. VS2-SI1 is ideal because you can find a great eyeclean stone at a much better price and have some birthmarks to identify it. I agree that even VS1s can be very hard to find the inclusions in sometimes even with a loupe. I find diamonds with clarity lower than VVS much more exciting because I always say they are like real life beauties with a beauty mark as opposed to Barbie doll models. If you must have something that is at least VS1 then stick to VS1 and not higher, totally not worth paying for a VVS.

Please do not fall for this wholesale talk, it is a blunt lie, no wholesaler will sell you a consumer a diamond and wholesalers often even select among retailers who they will work with. If the guy flat out lies like this, he is very likely to try to pull other things on you, these wholesalers are infamous for selling treated diamonds, have weird certificates, poorly cut stones to make you believe you got a great deal, while actually you have just been badly ripped off. If you share where you live, others will give you great options on what retailer you can trust to go to.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
One caveat. If you are looking for a cushion. Your clarity should just be open. It will give you the largest pool to chose from. You want as much selection as possible so you can find the best performer.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
J11SLBA|1413596392|3768840 said:
1.5-1.55 carat with an E grade, cushion with a brilliant, excellent or very good cut and anywhere from IF to VS1.

Also, GIA does not grade cushions for cut. Cut with cushions means light performance and faceting. Which if you read the links I posted for you (please read) means pictures, videos, ASET images if you are shopping online. If you are shopping in person, consider buying an ASET and learning to use it.

AGS does rate certain branded cushions for cut. But those are few and far between (though several of our PS vendors do stock them).

And finally, you don't want to limit carat weight the way you did there. Cushions are not rounds. You buy cushions by spread, not carat weight. A 1.4 carat cushion can EASILY face up larger than a 1.5 carat.

So again, you need more knowledge before you buy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also your budget is low for E VS1 anyway in a well cut cushion. Well cut stone often cost more.

Again, the beauty of a diamond is in the faceting and light performance.

You can have a D IF and it can be a dog. Like this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.02-carat-d-color-if-clarity-sku-175868 WOOF.

Finally, do you know if you want 1) an antique faceted, 2) a generic modern cushions or 3) a hearts and arrows cushion.

They are different flavors of cushions. You should know what you or your lady wants in terms of faceting type.

1. http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/1.04-carat-g-vs2-royal-chandelier-cushion-brilliant-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-7393.html and http://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/fx6z3a

2. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12107/ and http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/1.00-carat-g-vs2-mark-t-modern-cushion-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-23838.html

3. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.002-g-vs2-cushion-diamond-ags-104066027023 and http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10059/

Again, please read the links I posted for you before.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have more of a trust issue with some guy, or buddy or friend of a friend claiming he is selling diamonds "wholesale" than a jeweller swapping out your diamond....... Why??? Because there are so many sharks out there claiming to be "wholesalers" that will give you some sort of magical "deal" on a diamond. I think the others here will reinforce that 99.9% of the time people who buy a diamond via this pathway will get badly ripped off.

Diamond wholesalers do NOT sell diamonds to the general public, you have to be a registered licensed jeweller, have a shop or be a RapNet member to buy stones at wholesale (my husband's family have a shop) and even then a lot of the true wholesalers will only sell you a parcel of diamonds or deal with you if you spend a lot more than you are looking at spending.

Most jewellers on the other hand provided you go to a well known or reliable or recommended one will not risk their reputation by swapping out stones.

My best advice is don't get a rush of blood and rush into purchasing a stone from this so called "wholesaler" paste a copy of the diamond certificate here before you part with any cash and we will all give you our opinion on any stone you purchase before you give the seller a cent AND we can give you other alternative stones that may possibly be better cuts, brighter stones or cheaper than what you can find.

Do NOT under any circumstances buy a stone that has been clarity enhanced, or treated (HPHT - high pressure, high temperature) or an EGL certified stone. All of these will be cheaper and seem like deals but they are not "deals" and should be avoided by people who do not understand what each of them are.

J11SLBA

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

If anyone has specific recommendations for how to learn to spot inclusions, feel free to send them my way!

For anyone asking about my location, I'm from North Jersey (unfortunately)

As an update; the jeweler is Keith from NYC wholesale diamonds who seems to be reputable? Anyone have an opinion on him please do let me know.

Also since I'm considering a slightly bigger cushion square-ish cut at about 1.7-1.75 with the grade E still and VS2 and the diamond split shank setting, the budget went up to about 15 to 24 thousand... Always looking for advice guys!

I really appreciate everything so far and I'm going to look into these links tonight :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call Brilliantly Engaged and ID Jewelry.

They will take care of you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had a look on their website and they have a lot of very poorly cut cushions for people that have no idea. Buying an E will NOT get you a better diamond. The cut (ie the quality of the cut) is the thing that gives you fire and sparkle. So if you pay a fortune and buy a smuck cut E with a high clarity and put it next to a top cut G that is an eyeclean VS stone the G is going to look better.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
If you are looking for a trusted retailer go to Jack LaViano LaViano Jewelers in Westwood NJ. My parents bought 1 10 carat IF EC stone from him a 6.3 VVS EC stone from him and they bought my 3.66 H Si1 stone from him and paid a fair price. His settings are fabulous and we have bought from him forever....Only GIA certified stones. Plus he has been servicing my jewellery since 1986 when I bought my two Erings from him....plus many other pieces.

In NYC its a crap shoot but IRD and ERD and Good old Gold (Long Island) are reputiblle PS merchants.

PS having the same opinion as the others stated above G-H si1 is the way to go with any E ring. Comparing the stones my mom was given she was happiest with the one i have now worn for 12 years H color si1 clarity and there is one inclusion that you need 25x loupe to see and it was graded si1 you can see straight through this baby and it is white as can be. No need to go IF and E we here ALL AGREE ON THAT POINT >

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
PS Keith has a great web site showing his 47 west 47th street address this is a retail booth. Also notice on his web page his GIA is tiny and his EGL USA is very large. Which means he pushes a lot of EGL stones. buyer beware

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results