shape
carat
color
clarity

$5000 dream setting... or upgrade stone?

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
So I finally have my quote from Leon and it is $5000. I love love love the setting and know I will be very happy with it. BUT I can't help think of the sweet sweet upgrade I could do for $5000.

It seems to make more sense to spend the money on the stone. I hate to spend that on the setting. But it is the setting I like. This upgrade is never going to happen because I can't make a decision!

Plus, my husband and I have been through the possibility of trading in my stone. It was his idea, but later felt sentimental about the stone. I want this to be something he feels good about too.

So the only upgrade I should do is the setting. I just can't help thinking that $5000 is better spent in rock form.

If you had $5000 to spend, what would you do? :confused:

Dream setting? Or trade that puppy in?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. I'd upgrade. Or just get a 3rd really blingly fivestone type band. But that's me.

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
I won't ever trade in my original stones, and I'm not sure I would even switch my setting (since FI had it custom made). So I guess I would do neither :razz: I'd just wait until I had the budget for a completely new ring (which wouldn't replace my original ering...it would just be another ring).

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Being a complete and total size whore, I'd upgrade the center stone. I can't ever see paying over $2500 for a setting (arbitrary number that I assigned) and chances are if it's a Leon committing to a setting would mean committing to that center stone forever since I haven't seen any of his designs that can accomodate an upgrade. Oh how I wish it was me because at this point in life, I'd just keep the $5k and watch it grow

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not spend that money on a setting unless I had reached my forever-size diamond. If you are thinking about upgrading, clearly you are not there. I would get the upgrade. I spent about that on my recent upgrade and it was worth every last penny.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Sizzle said:
Being a complete and total size whore, I'd upgrade the center stone. I can't ever see paying over $2500 for a setting (arbitrary number that I assigned) and chances are if it's a Leon committing to a setting would mean committing to that center stone forever since I haven't seen any of his designs that can accomodate an upgrade. Oh how I wish it was me because at this point in life, I'd just keep the $5k and watch it grow

Good point Sizzle. If I get this setting- that will be it! No changing. I don't think I would want to because it would be such a great piece of art. But the feeling of being locked into something isn't great either.

I kind of feel the same way about your $2500 setting limit. At least if it is put into a stone, it holds its value in a way. (Not saying it is a great investment or anything) A setting is not worth much after it has been used.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
petrock<3 said:
Sizzle said:

Good point Sizzle. If I get this setting- that will be it! No changing. I don't think I would want to because it would be such a great piece of art. But the feeling of being locked into something isn't great either.

I kind of feel the same way about your $2500 setting limit. At least if it is put into a stone, it holds its value in a way. (Not saying it is a great investment or anything) A setting is not worth much after it has been used.

I feel a stone keeps its "value" because you can reset it later, or upgrade it later, which are valuable options to me. You can always have a custome gemstone cut to fit a Leon setting, though I doubt he would set it for you... I suppose you would have to check.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
petrock<3 said:
Sizzle said:

I feel a stone keeps its "value" because you can reset it later, or upgrade it later, which are valuable options to me. You can always have a custome gemstone cut to fit a Leon setting, though I doubt he would set it for you... I suppose you would have to check.

Oh I didn't know you could get a gemstone cut to fit a setting. Good to know. I love your upgrade by the way.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I had 5K to spend AND I was sentimental about my stone AND I wanted a Leon ... I'd put the 5K into savings, and wait until I had enough to get the size I wanted AND the Leon.

Well, if I had 5K to spend and a lot of patience. Since I am the least patient of women? I think I'd get the Leon with a colored stone of similar dimensions to my dream diamond and save up with the intention of swapping it out on some big anniversary ....

KikiD

Shiny_Rock
If it were me I would DEFINATELY upgrade the center stone with 5K. I would one hundred percent regret it if I spend that on a setting. You could do a pretty decent upgrade with 5K..bling bling :D

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I might be the only voice on the opposite side of this, but I think a Leon setting is worth every penny and elevates the center stone to the apex of it's potential.

On any other setting, I wouldn't go over 2,500 dollars, but for a Leon and the way it completely enshrines the center diamond in glory, I would totally double that or more.

(I'm more of a setting whore cause I'm completely content at 1 carat :lol: )

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so fast forward to 3, 4, 7 years down the road and you want a bigger stone. What do you DO with the setting??? I'm in that boat right now, trying to figure out what to do with my Leon Mege setting from my 2.47-ct asscher. It's not easy.

I spent a ton of money on the setting and it's lovely, but lovely for the stone it was designed for. I can try to "find" a gemstone to fit, but frankly I prefer my gemstones with diamond sidestones, so I'd be settling. The setting is really perfect for the asscher, but I'm trading in the asscher. I am entertaining selling the setting, but who knows if that will happen.

You have to think long and hard about putting so much $$ into a setting if you feel even the slightest inclination to keep upgrading, no offense to missdebby! ;))

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
I would not spend that money on a setting unless I had reached my forever-size diamond. If you are thinking about upgrading, clearly you are not there. I would get the upgrade. I spent about that on my recent upgrade and it was worth every last penny.

I completely agree.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
if your husband is uncomfortable with you upgrading your stone, then don't sell the stone and absolutely splurge on the setting. if you think that your husband is TOTALLY fine with upgrading the stone, then by all means do it and get your dream setting later! i agree with missydebby that the perfect setting can really make your diamond shine to its fullest potential-- plus the halo would make your already large stone seem absolutely gigantic (in the best possible way :cheeky: )

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not sure what kind of upgrade you could get for $5k. I don't think it would be all that much bigger than what you have. It sucks, but $5k just doesn't get you what you think it can these days. Maybe I missed it, but what are the specs on your current stone and which setting (if you don't mind sharing)?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
athenaworth said:
I'm not sure what kind of upgrade you could get for $5k. I don't think it would be all that much bigger than what you have. It sucks, but $5k just doesn't get you what you think it can these days. Maybe I missed it, but what are the specs on your current stone and which setting (if you don't mind sharing)?

This is a really good point. $5k gets you a lot up to about the 2ct mark, and then after that it would not buy noticable size increases.

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
athenaworth said:

Ahhhh, so smart you are. Depending on how big the current stone is, this may or may not make much difference! Good thinking.

betty6333

Shiny_Rock
Hands down ... I would upgrade the stone to a bigger one. I love leons work, it is superb and I think is amazing, but I would get a larger stone with a spare 5 k. :love:

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I just saw in another thread that petrock said she had a 1.54ct stone...you might be able to do a nice upgrade with $5k depending on color/clarity preferences.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ditto PPs - you don't want to shell out the big bucks for your dream setting unless you have your dream centrestone size, otherwise a few years from now you might be forced to decide if you really want to upgrade and waste this setting

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Since people have said that Leon's settings do not allow much room for upgrade, I would only get the new setting now if I was 100% sure that I wanted my current center stone to be my forever diamond.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'd buy a low color 1ct+ AVC. :Up_to_something: Or other larger, lower color antique stone. I had something like that amount of money in my "jewelry" fund a few months ago, and realllly was considering getting a super killer "forever setting" for my 3 1/2 ct OEC... and just couldn't bring myself to do it. (Instead I bought a 2ct transitional cut for $4K with a great antique platinum setting too.) I always look at that amount and end up thinking... but that could be a really awesome 1 ct+ diamond.

I'd upgrade, or get some other piece of jewelry you want. Like a great watch, a RHR, or studs, or something. Amazing settings are tempting but a diamond just seems like a better use for it, at least that's what I always end up deciding! I hear ya though, I may cave and get a fabulous setting someday... but so far the other possibilities have lured me away from that.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
petrock<3 said:
So I finally have my quote from Leon and it is $5000. I love love love the setting and know I will be very happy with it. BUT I can't help think of the sweet sweet upgrade I could do for $5000.

It seems to make more sense to spend the money on the stone. I hate to spend that on the setting. But it is the setting I like. This upgrade is never going to happen because I can't make a decision!

Plus, my husband and I have been through the possibility of trading in my stone. It was his idea, but later felt sentimental about the stone. I want this to be something he feels good about too.

So the only upgrade I should do is the setting. I just can't help thinking that $5000 is better spent in rock form.

If you had $5000 to spend, what would you do? :confused:

Dream setting? Or trade that puppy in?

If you are even "thinking" about upgrading the size of your stone, then you are not a good candidate for a $5,000 setting! I think the diamond and the setting should make a complete package, so I have nothing against expensive settings -- to me, choosing a beautiful setting is part of the fun of wearing fine jewelry. But I have my share of "used" settings sitting in my jewelry box because I decided to upgrade the size of my diamond, so I do caution you -- make sure you are positive you will not wish you had upgraded your stone before you invest the cash in a new setting.

On the other hand, you do have a beautiful diamond -- are you sure you want a new, larger diamond? Or is it just the idea that you could get a larger diamond that is appealing? And have you considered what's out there in inventory (for larger stones with your desired carat weight, color, clarity, shape)? Prices are higher and inventories seem to be getting slimmer (compared to last year). I'm always checking my vendor's stock for "possible" upgrade stones, and there's not a lot out there right now.

But if you are actively looking for stones, and have bookmarked some contenders, that's a big red flag to move away from the $5,000 Leon!

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Although I do not have a Leon, I did allocate a significant portion of our budget to my setting (6k).. So, I somewhat understand what you're going through. I really wanted a micropave/halo setting that stood out. I know that we could have gotten a much bigger diamond with that kind of money, but a solitaire just isn't me. I love things that are very very sparkly.. :Up_to_something:

My center stone isn't huge and (due to the halo) can never be upgraded.. I'm fine with that. My fiance is extremely sentimental so I knew upgrading would never be in the cards for me anyways. I absolutely love how beautiful the setting is and I know I would not be happier if I had a bigger stone and a plain setting, but again - that's just me. If you truly believe that the center stone you have is your forever diamond I think you should spend the 5k on your setting. I think that a beautiful setting is worth the money if it's truly going to make you happy.

Really, it's comes down to personal preference. If our budget had been less, I would have gone for size (achieved the magical 1ct. mark) and sacrificed my dream setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thought about it some more after reading comments in this thread. Definitely the upgrade. If you have under 2 carats and you might want bigger I wouldn't spend 5K on a setting either.

And starry-- OMG... please tell me your diamonds dimensions? I might know the perfect candidate for a center stone that needs a setting. :Up_to_something:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
starryeyed said:
Ok, so fast forward to 3, 4, 7 years down the road and you want a bigger stone. What do you DO with the setting??? I'm in that boat right now, trying to figure out what to do with my Leon Mege setting from my 2.47-ct asscher. It's not easy.

I spent a ton of money on the setting and it's lovely, but lovely for the stone it was designed for. I can try to "find" a gemstone to fit, but frankly I prefer my gemstones with diamond sidestones, so I'd be settling. The setting is really perfect for the asscher, but I'm trading in the asscher. I am entertaining selling the setting, but who knows if that will happen.

Sell it .. I am sure there will be lots of people waiting to snatch it up!

stci

Ideal_Rock
$5 000. for the setting only is too expensive for my budget but if you can afford it why not?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
If it were me I'd choose the setting, because for me the setting makes for as much or more of the *look* than the stone. However, I agree with the other gals that if you're thinking about upgrading now is not the time to buying a forever setting. Save up your money and wait a few years until you can get both the stone AND the setting of your dreams.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I must say I love a nice setting and wouldn't hesistate to invest in a nice setting. However, I must agree - if you are planning for another upgrade in the near term, it would make sense to save up for that. But if the upgrade isn't for another 10 years .. I would invest in the setting. To me, the diamond is very important but the setting compeltely can make or break it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results