shape
carat
color
clarity

2000 minus 35 posts and counting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
As I make this post I find myself 35 posts away from hitting the 2000 post benchmark.

Once past that point, I'll be rubbing shoulders with such rogues as the infamous Garry Holloway (2000+ posts), and aspiring to attain the legendary status of such greats as Mara and Leonid (3000+ posts).

Considering that this forum has given me great pleasure and knowledge (not too mention a fair amount of income), I'm planning on celebrating this milestone with a event worthy of it's importance.

I'm going to rummage through my safe and pull out a respectable colored gemstone from the inventory I have remaining after the close of my store four years ago, and give it away on my 2000th post.

I'll make that 2000th post a topic, and the seventh (non-consecutive) poster to that topic will receive the gemstone.

Tomorrow I'll locate a worthy stone and shoot some photos of it.

May the fastest fingers win!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That's cool! I'll watch out for it!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haa I love this idea! I too will be watching...
rodent.gif

flyingharp

Rough_Rock
Hmmm... sounds too good to be true....
9.gif
rodent.gif

Not only a gemstone genius but a philanth.. (guy who gives things away) too!

Congratulations (in advance) on your 2000th post (what anniversary is that?)

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I'd love to answer that question, Flying Harp, but I have to be careful with these remaining 35 posts. I can't squander them on answering any old question, but only IMPORTANT questions.

Who you calling a philanth, anyway!? Watch your language.

flyingharp

Rough_Rock
Haha!

The word I was looking for is philanthropist.
9.gif

There, now I only have another 1976 posts to go... better be careful how I use them up too.

For what it's worth, I really appreciate your input on this forum (and that of all the other experts and para-experts around the place!) I've learnt so much and feel more confident to take the diamond buying plunge.

THANK YOU!
appl.gif

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
I'll likely tune in in time to see the winner, but I'd love to see that pretty stone. I think coloured stones are fantastic!
1.gif
I'll be rooting for you all!

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Oooohhhhh I LOVE a challenge!!!
appl.gif
2.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Okey dokey now.

I’ve decided an appropriate gemstone value figure to celebrate my post number 2000 would be $2,000. So I’m giving away seven colored stones worth $2,000+ total to the first seven (non-consecutive) posters on my 2000 celebration topic post.

One stone per person, with poster #1 getting the first stone listed, poster #2 the second, and so forth and so on.

I’m on post number 1967 now, with 33 left to go before the magic number.

The tension mounts… May I have a drumroll, please.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The grand prize is this one-of-a-kind opal “intarsia” made by a fellow in Colorado whose name I have forgotten, that was inspired by the work of the Russian grandmasters. It’s first-class work.

It has an upper triangular “spider web” turquoise stone of fine color and texture, and a lower triangular semi-crystal opal of fine quality. The upper left and right legs of the triangle are composed of white based opal and spider web turquoise accents.

Here’s the kicker on the piece-

You see the horizontal brown strip through the center of the stone? (To the eye it is more reddish-brown than the picture shows.)

It’s petrified dinosaur bone!

Heh heh heh…

39.2 x 36 x 4.5 mm

Valued at $1,000 retail

DSC00065.JPG

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The six stones following are kicked off by this cute 1.42 carat Ceylon star ruby.

The stone has a fine medium purple-pink hue, with a pleasing and unusual translucency. The star is good to very good, with a nice white contrasting color.

Natural star rubies with good color, clarity and a nice star are hard to find.

6.9 x 4.2 x 4.6 mm

Valued at $400 retail

DSC00067.JPG

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
This fine 2.34 carat wine red tourmaline (rubellite) has VS clarity (unusual for red tourmaline) and a nice make. The country of origin is Brazil.

9.25 x 6.50 x 4.22 mm

Valued at $275 retail

DSC00079.JPG

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
This 0.84 carat shield shaped, or truncated triangular shaped tanzanite is small, but a fine example of gem color. It has a color which I refer to as “Elizabeth Taylor blue”, as it matches her eyes. A fine medium blue with a slight violet modifier, with a nice, bright make.

6.3 x 5.5 x 3.75 mm

Valued at $175 retail

DSC00075.JPG

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I like this cute little stone because of it’s vibrant yellowish green body color and killer “eye”.

It’s a 0.76 ct. cats eye green tourmaline, which you don’t see everyday. Fair make.

5.6 x 5.0 x 3.5 mm

Valued at $50 retail

DSC00071.JPG

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Last, but not least, this 25.50 carat clear quartz drop has an unusual straw colored rutile formation growing up from an iridescent base.

Another one-of-a-kind piece, that would make a great pendant and unusual conversation piece.

24.7 x 20.7 x 5.6 mm

Valued at $225 retail

DSC00072.JPG

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
They are all lovely, but that natural star ruby is utterly gorgeous. The sheer beauty of what nature can produce never fails to amaze me.

This is so cool of you to do this, Rich!
appl.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and this happens when I'm going away.
cry.gif
Maybe I can make you speed up those posts. That Tourmaline is to die for!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
No way F&I!

These posts are precious. I'm not letting you drag a one out of me.

Hey! Wait just a minute!

Rich, only 23 posts to go...

F&I, you can appoint a proxy to post for you if you're out of touch. I'd do it, but then you'd owe me bigtime, and we all know what a dangerous situation that would be.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/9/2003 3:37:51 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

No way F&I!

These posts are precious. I'm not letting you drag a one out of me.

Hey! Wait just a minute!

Rich, only 23 posts to go...

F&I, you can appoint a proxy to post for you if you're out of touch. I'd do it, but then you'd owe me bigtime, and we all know what a dangerous situation that would be.

----------------

Does the phrase "will do anything for a sparkely" help! BTW, I did just post my story on the who's who thread - you are a bad influence as I should be working.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Wooohoooo! Just like "Let's Make a Deal!" And behind door #5 we have.....

They are all just gorgeous and unique.
love.gif
Which one do I wanna try for??
confused.gif
Something for every taste in this group!
3.gif

What a Guy, Rich! The diamond Vendors should do something like this as well!
love.gif
We can only wish!!!
naughty.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd be happy to get any of them!!
1.gif
It's a good thing I don't actually DO anything at work so I may have a fighting chance here!
1.gif

The vendor should throw contests too....give out melee stones or something...hehee.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha Ha I showed them to my better half and he wants that first one with the dino bone for his ring now!! hahaha.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Rich... Those are some great stones... Very pretty!!

BTW, when you start the thread be sure to keep in mind that I'm in Italy and the time is different...
2.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rich will probably be sneaky as I see he is online now but not posting...and then he will suddenly post somewhere like 20 times so that he is right at the cusp and then bam...when there are 2 random forum members online he will post the contest and we'll all lose!
1.gif
I love a challenge!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results