shape
carat
color
clarity

2.85, K, VS2 August Vintage Cusion (GOG)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

estro613

Rough_Rock
I meant to post this here, and by accident posted on "Show me the Ring", oops!

Hey guys,

Wanted the opinions of some others on this board. Originally I was looking for diamonds in the F,G,H,I range and was trying to find one as close to 2 carats. Upon visiting GOG and meeting Jonathan (good guy!) I first took a look at the diamond I had on reserve, which was a 1.63, G, VS2. Loved it, but like I said I wanted something a little bigger. Well I ended up making quite a change as I ended up settling on this 2.85, K, VS2.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/6566

What I like:
The size! I love the chunky August vintage cushion cuts, I also prefer a cushion closer to a square shape, which this one satisfies.
My concerns:
If the diamond were for my finger I''d be a bit more concerned about the warmth of the k color, but I know my g/f seems to be okay with some warmth in a diamond. I also know she loves a big one, which for me is only financially possible at this K color. After looking at the online picture of this diamond, though, I''m a little concerned that it appears more yellowish than some of the other K and L color diamonds on GOG''s website. You would think that this diamond should have a similar hue of yellow compared to other K colors and look slightly whiter than an L color diamond. However when I compare the diamond I purchased to these 2 (one being a K and the other an L) mine looks like it has more of a yellow hue in both cases. Do you guys see that too? I guess it could just be the way the photo was taken or could it be that my color is showing through more due to the size of the stone?

Other L colored diamond on GOG

Other K colored diamond on GOG

This is going to be set in a solitaire platinum Ritani setting. Overall I''m happy with the purchase, and if it ends up being to warm for my g/f, GOG''s trade in policies have put my fears to bed. Anyhow I just wanted your thoughts on what you think? Shoot away!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
The stone looks great!

I hope your GF will love it.

It certainly has some warmth to it, but that can be charming in an older style cut.

I''m glad you have trade-in options if the color isn''t her cup of tea.

I think you''ve done well.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The warmth needs to be something you can embrace so if your GF feels the stone shows too much warmth for her, you are covered as you say with the return policy, its so hard to advise as none of us can know your GF's taste. Being a larger diamond the warmth might be slightly more visible, its a beautiful diamond though however you look at it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
when you dip down into those warm tones, you really can''t be picky about that kind of stuff - if you are so concerned that eeeeek it might have a tiny more yellow then that is probably not the color range for you. That whole *range* has enough yellow to see, and many people prefer that for these bigger stones so you''re in luck - if your GF likes it and "can live with it" then never you mind. I''m not saying you should allow yourself to get ripped off - but Jonathan isn''t going to cheat you on color. There could be differences in photography, but ultimately you ARE buying a stone that will have a yellow tint and if you''re upset about that a K isn''t the way to go.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 12:18:53 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
when you dip down into those warm tones, you really can''t be picky about that kind of stuff - if you are so concerned that eeeeek it might have a tiny more yellow then that is probably not the color range for you. That whole *range* has enough yellow to see, and many people prefer that for these bigger stones so you''re in luck - if your GF likes it and ''can live with it'' then never you mind. I''m not saying you should allow yourself to get ripped off - but Jonathan isn''t going to cheat you on color. There could be differences in photography, but ultimately you ARE buying a stone that will have a yellow tint and if you''re upset about that a K isn''t the way to go.
This is sound advice I think.

In my experience, though, the tint of a K diamond doesn''t look yellow so much as beige.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 11:20:34 PM
Author:estro613

I meant to post this here, and by accident posted on ''Show me the Ring'', oops!

Hey guys,

Wanted the opinions of some others on this board. Originally I was looking for diamonds in the F,G,H,I range and was trying to find one as close to 2 carats. Upon visiting GOG and meeting Jonathan (good guy!) I first took a look at the diamond I had on reserve, which was a 1.63, G, VS2. Loved it, but like I said I wanted something a little bigger. Well I ended up making quite a change as I ended up settling on this 2.85, K, VS2.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/6566

What I like:
The size! I love the chunky August vintage cushion cuts, I also prefer a cushion closer to a square shape, which this one satisfies.

My concerns:
If the diamond were for my finger I''d be a bit more concerned about the warmth of the k color, but I know my g/f seems to be okay with some warmth in a diamond. I also know she loves a big one, which for me is only financially possible at this K color. After looking at the online picture of this diamond, though, I''m a little concerned that it appears more yellowish than some of the other K and L color diamonds on GOG''s website. You would think that this diamond should have a similar hue of yellow compared to other K colors and look slightly whiter than an L color diamond. However when I compare the diamond I purchased to these 2 (one being a K and the other an L) mine looks like it has more of a yellow hue in both cases. Do you guys see that too? I guess it could just be the way the photo was taken or could it be that my color is showing through more due to the size of the stone?

Other L colored diamond on GOG

Other K colored diamond on GOG

This is going to be set in a solitaire platinum Ritani setting. Overall I''m happy with the purchase, and if it ends up being to warm for my g/f, GOG''s trade in policies have put my fears to bed. Anyhow I just wanted your thoughts on what you think? Shoot away!
The best thing to do would be to get Jon to do a video comparison in different lighting conditions (outside of the GIA diamond dock) and compare it other K colored diamonds or go see it in person would be even better.
It has been said before that the larger the stone the more noticeable the tint is and also in the lower colors there is a wider range to each color so there can be High K and Low K, but as other posters have pointed out you are in the zone where yellow tint and warmth is expected. The less light entering the diamonds the more noticeable the tint wil be.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I always thought that the bigger a stone, the more it showed it''s color. But man, after being on pricescope for a while.... You are looking at my DREAM stone!! A little tint like that would never bother me, in fact I feel like it adds to the beauty of the vintage-looking cut. If your gf is ok with it too, I''d snag that baby right up with no regrets!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 2:58:21 PM
Author: Kelli
I always thought that the bigger a stone, the more it showed it''s color. But man, after being on pricescope for a while.... You are looking at my DREAM stone!! A little tint like that would never bother me, in fact I feel like it adds to the beauty of the vintage-looking cut. If your gf is ok with it too, I''d snag that baby right up with no regrets!

Ditto to everything Kelli said! It''s gorgeous!

cushioncushion

Rough_Rock
It''s a very pretty stone...but...

Have you considered dropping down in clarity to an eye-clean SI 1, or even perhaps a borderline SI 2 with is eye-clean (hard to find) or almost so, and go for a better color grade?

In my humble opinion, color is more important, and paying extra money for a VS 2 is unnecessary. when you have a great vendor like GOG and Rhino who can find you an SI 1 or SI 2 which would be equivlent to the naked eye.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results