shape
carat
color
clarity

1 carat natural pink diamond price range

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Megenoita

Rough_Rock
I need help finding price ranges for 1 carat natural pink diamonds. Is there any website reference I could use? I''m looking for the kind that would cost around $60k in a retail store (not sure if that''d be FIP or what).

Who knows good online sources for reading about colored diamonds???

Thanks!
M

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price depends mostly on how strong the color is.
Some color modifiers can lower the price like brownish-pink.
Some can raise the price like redish-pink.

I recommend you only consider stones with a GIA report.
Usually when the clarity is really low they obtain a color-only GIA report.
If clarity is SI2 and above they may get a full GIA report.
I have bought from the first link and recommend them.
I think the first and second are the same family but different companies, or something.

Leibish

Ishay Ben-David

Langerman Diamonds

Amgad

Rare Colored Diamonds

Icestore

Megenoita

Rough_Rock
Thank you...at least one has some prices and another some general info (nothing too in depth, though).

M

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, the first 3 list prices online.
The next 3 do not.

I will only buy when when prices are listed online.
IMHO secret pricing is not in the customer's interest, but published pricing is.

When the seller decides on what price to publish on the Internet they know if it is too high compared to the competition it won't sell.
I like this transparency and competitive market forces.

I will not buy from sellers who only reveal prices in secret after summing you up.
I may be wrong but I'd just worry that the price will be higher.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good question M.
Of course it leads to a few others.
First of all, it''s highly unlikely that the "average" retail jewelry store is going to have a one carat pink diamond. In general, we''d have to go into some very high end stores to find a one carat pink.
That would kind of skew any comparison.
I don''t believe you''d find any one carat pinks in stores like Graff for as little as $60k.

The other parameter we''d need to discuss is shape.
Rounds are much harder for find than pink cushions or radiants. Therefore the price would be higher.

In general, $60k won''t come close to buying a Fancy Intense Pink one carat- even from an aggressive Internet seller.
Maybe Fancy Pink for that price. Or a heavily included stone.
Clarity is viewed differently in pink diamonds. Color takes a lot more precedence- plus much of the pink rough has imperfection. Therefore a Fancy Intense Pink SI2 is still going to command over $100k, unless it''s really ugly.

I hope this was of help

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Megenoita, this is a perfect time to notice that there is a vendor I did not mention, and which you should do a PS search on.

Megenoita

Rough_Rock
Thank you both very much for your help. DBL was the site I was looking for and I knew it was on PS but forgot the name...thanks!

M

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You''re more than welcome M.
If you have further questions, please post them, and I''ll do my best to answer!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/5/2010 8:58:30 PM
Author: kenny

I will only buy when when prices are listed online.
IMHO secret pricing is not in the customer''s interest, but published pricing is.

When the seller decides on what price to publish on the Internet they know if it is too high compared to the competition it won''t sell.
I like this transparency and competitive market forces.
+1- great point Kenny! I hate it when sites hide what should be made public- and prices are certainly in that category.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That oval pink diamond is gorgeous.
30.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 9:51:43 PM
Author: Asscherhalo_lover
This one's under your budget and over a carat, I've seen it in person...yum!

Delicious Pink Oval!
Light Pink.... How washed out is that pink though? How much is a light pink diamond really worth as fancy color?
20.gif

There is a definite reason why DBL was not recommended in this thread and reading other threads will give a clear idea why.

An example of one such thread is here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bricks-mortar-vs-e-commerce-jewelers.127594/

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2010 11:19:26 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

This one's under your budget and over a carat, I've seen it in person...yum!

Delicious Pink Oval!
Light Pink.... How washed out is that pink though? A whole lot more than a light yellow and a whole lot less than a light blue? How much is a light pink diamond really worth as fancy color? A whole lot more than a light yellow and a whole lot less than a light blue?
20.gif
This bit I agree with.
There is a definite reason why DBL was not recommended in this thread and reading other threads will give a clear idea why. That's your opinion. The OP should in fact look up every single vendor recommended in this thread. Got links for the rest of them?

An example of one such thread is here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bricks-mortar-vs-e-commerce-jewelers.127594/

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock

This one''s under your budget and over a carat, I''ve seen it in person...yum!

Delicious Pink Oval!
Light Pink.... How washed out is that pink though? How much is a light pink diamond really worth as fancy color?
20.gif

There is a definite reason why DBL was not recommended in this thread and reading other threads will give a clear idea why.

This one is lovely - I like the colour a lot in real life. This is my lottery win ring, I''ve loved it for a while.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a representation of the argyle color system here http://www.hollowaydiamonds.com.au/coloured-diamonds/
the top 1P and 1PP (purple pink) is the most valauble.
You might find something between 5-6BP and 7-8PP in a border line eye clean for $60k.
Beware of stones with open cracks on the crown / table. Pink diamonds are fragile and break more easily than colorless diamonds..

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That''s a great informational page Garry!
We''ve also got a pink diamond grading chart on our site - except we use photos of actual diamonds and GIA gradings as opposed to CG diamonds using the Argyle scale.
While Argyle uses a numerical grading system, GIA''s uses descriptive terms ( Fancy Intense Pink, Faint Pink...etc)
Of course each method has it''s pluses and minuses in terms of representation.

Faint and light pink diamonds, such as the one posted by Asscherhalo_lover linked to can present great value- but they are a wildcard.
Sometimes a diamond graded "Light Pink" shows discernible color, other times not so much.
But it''s possible to buy a one carat pink within budget if you find a light pink that satisfies the "need for pink"
Thanks to everyone keeping the thread on track- I do believe it''s an interesting question.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
The "need for pink" might also be satisfied with pink sidestones or even a pink halo.

Megenoita, are you set on a pink centre stone or are these options you''d consider (sorry if I''m wrong in assuming this is for a ring)?

I''d love to see what you pick.

Jen

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/5/2010 8:25:19 PM
Author:Megenoita
I need help finding price ranges for 1 carat natural pink diamonds. Is there any website reference I could use? I''m looking for the kind that would cost around $60k in a retail store (not sure if that''d be FIP or what).

Who knows good online sources for reading about colored diamonds???

Thanks!

M
Pricing on diamonds is a tricky thing and fancy color is doubly so. Your reference to a ‘retail store’ is a great example. As was pointed out above, few stores are likely to stock much selection in this kind of goods and those that do are likely to find it difficult to move them along quickly. That’s just not the way these things change hands but it becomes a standard practice for stores to provide a price for what it would cost at a ‘regular’ store, whatever that means, as evidence that their own pricing is a bargain. This is a problem with nearly all stones but the more exotic they are the worse it gets. If you’re looking for something to buy, shop using real offers from real dealers, not a hypothetical estimate made by a competitor of what the asking price might be in a hypothetical store if they somehow actually had one. It makes a HUGE difference where even such obvious ideas as ‘pink’ and ‘natural’ get obfuscated. I dare say the range you''re looking for shows a span of more than a factor of 50 depending on the details. I can''t think of many circumstances when this would be useful information.

If you’ve got one and are selling it, gifting it, inheriting it or some similar transaction, start with a professional evaluation of exactly what you have and a discussion of how that relates to the marketplace. This too makes a huge difference. Looking at asking prices from online merchants is a decent place to start and it’s a way to learn the right questions but it’s far short of what you’re asking.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Fancy colored diamonds happen to be one of my favorite subjects so I''d suggest you start off researching about them on the internet. It is also good to talk to vendors who actually deal in fancy colored diamonds. Price-wise it is very much harder to gauge as fancy colors are graded differently according to color hue and saturation, and prices vary greatly depending on the pinkness of the diamond -whether they are evenly pink, brownish, reddish or purplish etc. To be honest 60K won''t get you that far in sourcing for decent sized pinks. Double that budget and maybe we''ll get somewhere... A stone color graded pinkish brown may work as an alternative but for 60K I probably wouldn''t want a cert that says ''brown''.

Btw, Megenoita, just ignore those little snipes about certain vendors here. Some people just have problems keeping their axes out of the grinder...
25.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that light pink oval! Wow!
30.gif

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Ack...too late for edit. Was referring to FIPs or FDPs when I was talking about the budget. FLPs is within budget. :)
Nice link on that pink oval btw.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 11:58:50 PM
Author: yssie

This one''s under your budget and over a carat, I''ve seen it in person...yum!

Delicious Pink Oval!
Light Pink.... How washed out is that pink though? A whole lot more than a light yellow and a whole lot less than a light blue? How much is a light pink diamond really worth as fancy color? A whole lot more than a light yellow and a whole lot less than a light blue?
20.gif
This bit I agree with.
There is a definite reason why DBL was not recommended in this thread and reading other threads will give a clear idea why. That''s your opinion. The OP should in fact look up every single vendor recommended in this thread. Got links for the rest of them?

Yssie,

1) You can''t compare pink to blue or yellow, to my knowledge there is no simple correlation of color to intensity, and since researching for my lab course in optics and the perception of color given to first year undergraduates I really don''t see any scientific basis for what you are saying.

2) I have two main questions about the ring posted in this thread on DBL''s website:
i) Is that pink intense enough to satisfy the consumer under a variety of light conditions? (not just the preferential ones use to photograph this diamond)
ii) Is that a competitively priced ring given other vendors offerings of 1 carat light pink diamonds.

I can''t answer either of those questions definitively, but from the education thread posted above I wouldn''t be confident in the education the consumer would receive if they were to ask RD.
Perhaps someone who has seen many pink diamonds and this particular one can give their opinion but the buyer would be best served by exploring many vendors and making the comparison themself.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
CCL, two people who have seen the diamond have now mentioned that it is an attractive pink colour. I can't speak for Asscherhalo lover, but I have seen a small number of other pink diamonds, too (eta from DBL and other vendors).

As to whether this particular one is pink enough for a person looking to buy, only that person can answer. That's partly why vendors have return policies.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/6/2010 1:39:03 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
CCL, two people who have seen the diamond have now mentioned that it is an attractive pink colour. I can't speak for Asscherhalo lover, but I have seen a small number of other pink diamonds, too (eta from DBL and other vendors).

As to whether this particular one is pink enough for a person looking to buy, only that person can answer. That's partly why vendors have return policies.

That's a big ditto, I said when I posted it that I had seen it before, it was pretty dang pink to me, I've seen a few others as well, all pink enough for me but only the person shopping could decide if they were pink enough for them.

One of my other favorites has a modifying color and some really nice contrasting sidestones, it packs a punch in person!

Orangy Pink Yumminess

Out of all of the pinks I've seen, this next one is my absolute favorite, it's a purple with a pink modiefier and when I tried it one all I could say was "WOW THAT'S A PURPLE DIAMOND!" (I have it in caps because I screamed this out loud)I think the purple added more depth to the color and made it more obvious to me than the pure pink. It's quite a bit smaller than the other ones but gorgeous, the color is like lavender!

Pink Purple Yumminess

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just logging in to let Megenoita know that if there are further questions, I'd still be happy to answer best as I can.
Please don't allow attempts to turn this into some sort of personal bashfest, or posters trying to change the topic altogether to interfere with your desire to learn.
I also wanted to thank you the those people who have kept on topic in attempting to assist the the op, as well as other consumers interested in the price of pink diamonds.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 9:48:10 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Just logging in to let Megenoita know that if there are further questions, I'd still be happy to answer best as I can.
Please don't allow attempts to turn this into some sort of personal bashfest, or posters trying to change the topic altogether to interfere with your desire to learn.
I also wanted to thank you the those people who have kept on topic in attempting to assist the the op, as well as other consumers interested in the price of pink diamonds.
RD,

Its nothing new with you.

Anything you disagree with is off topic.
Anything pointing positively to your website or your opinions you thank people for.

Same game different thread.

Your prices are often not competitive and your descriptions and pictures are often misleading. The OP has been cautioned about you and has been advised to comparison shop in person and make sure whomever they buy from is giving them a competitive deal on the diamond colour they want. It may even be possible in this case your prices are fair and its the best choice for this poster I really have no idea, but you still seem a little pricey to me and they have been warned.

Oh yeah and OP with DBL you get only a 7 day return policy far shorter than most other vendors, keep this in mind.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I met a woman who worked at a jewelry store and who had worked in Australia back in the early 80''s or something like that and she had TWO stones that were 4 or 5PP flanking a 1 carat clear. Both were rounds and .6 each... they were amazing, gorgeous, and insane!! Not the same color that the fake n bake diamonds get but very bright! Amazing! She said she got them for a really good price but is now afraid to wear her ring because the value has gone up so much.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/7/2010 3:15:01 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
I met a woman who worked at a jewelry store and who had worked in Australia back in the early 80''s or something like that and she had TWO stones that were 4 or 5PP flanking a 1 carat clear. Both were rounds and .6 each... they were amazing, gorgeous, and insane!! Not the same color that the fake n bake diamonds get but very bright! Amazing! She said she got them for a really good price but is now afraid to wear her ring because the value has gone up so much.
I have clients like this
emteeth.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results