shape
carat
color
clarity

Nice costume jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
H

hlpkaixin3344

Have you ever purchased any nice costume jewelry? I have been lusting after some fun Kate Spade pieces. My husband says I should just go ahead and get them, but I am hesitant to pay $50 - $200 for gold plated jewelry! I have sensitive skin, so the gold plating is actually a big plus in my book.

I just reread previous PS thread on Chanel pearls priced at 2K. The overall consensus was that $2,000 was too much for costume jewelry. What about $200? Any thoughts or experiences?

KSNecklace.jpg

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I was just updating my profile at the same time that I was posting, so above post came-up without my name.

KSEarrings.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 11:51:05 AM
Author:Anonymous Wrote:
Have you ever purchased any nice costume jewelry? I have been lusting after some fun Kate Spade pieces. My husband says I should just go ahead and get them, but I am hesitant to pay $50 - $200 for gold plated jewelry! I have sensitive skin, so the gold plating is actually a big plus in my book.

I just reread previous PS thread on Chanel pearls priced at 2K. The overall consensus was that $2,000 was too much for costume jewelry. What about $200? Any thoughts or experiences?
costume jewelry is fun to have in any jewelry wardrobe!The thing about costume jewelry is that it should be fun,trendy and inexpensive so it can be worn a few seasons and then disgarded.I remember the Chanel pearl thread and was one that was against spending this type of money on fakes when that money will buy the real deal!A person can buy nice genuine jewelry for $50-$200(is the kate spade name driving the price of the jewelery or is there really something really special about it.) i would invest your big dollars into genuine jewelry and only a small amount of your jewelry dollars on costume pieces.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Jewelerman! Yes, I remember your sensible comments from the Chanel thread.

I like two things about those particular pieces: that they are gold plated (base metal gives me a horrible rash) and the styling. I tend to enjoy Kate Spade''s style, but the name is not my primary motivating factor. I just want something stylish and fun that I can actually wear. Most of the less expensive things I have found are not plated, so I would have to resort to clear nail polish over the metal portions, replacing findings, etc.

Generally I only wear fine jewelry, but I am looking to add a bit of spice to my wardrobe without braking the bank!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Any ideas for similar looking reasonably priced alternatives? Thanks!
1.gif

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I doubt I''d pay anywhere near $200 for costume jewelry. Maybe $50ish.

I''ve seen necklaces like that for way, way less. In fact, I have one with a very similar style (different color) that was about $7. I wear it all the time. I''d look around. You could get dozens for that price that look super similar. Or, you could get one actual "nice" necklace that''s far better quality and better gold.

I''ve had some things from this brand before, and they really didn''t last/hold up and look good after a lot of use. The items I had either had the paint/enamel chip off, or the nylon fray/appear worn easily. (Ok, so maybe I used it too much, assuming it''d last with those prices.)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have some "pricey" fakes: I bought them at discount shops like Loehmann''s when they''d been marked down below the 75% off mark. I like my pretty shiny DBTY necklace that I got for $40 ... but according to the sticker, it was apparently originally marked at $450. Say what, Willis? That just doesn''t make any sense to me ....

Basically, I am all in favor of beautiful jewelry, whatever it might be made of, but unless we are talking about an outstanding, innovative, and otherwise unattainable design standard, I say hunt for affordable versions online and on sale, and save cash above $50 for stuff that has intrinsic and not stylistic value.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results