shape
carat
color
clarity

Chanel -Yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone bought Chanel pearls before?

Ever since I saw Anne Hathaway wearing the strands in The Devil Wears Prada, they''ve been on my wishlist.

How do they hold up in wear, I wonder?

PradaPearls.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
These are the ones I'm buying... You can double them up, wear them long & etc.

They come in silver clasp and gold. I'm hoping they'll be a classic staple in my wardrobe. Just wondering what the quality is like for $2k! They are faux, so I was wondering if a kind PSer who owns Chanel pearls could tell me!

I've bought St. Johns jewelry before and it's OK quality... not phenomenal. Chanel suits and bags are sublime, how are their jewels?

ChanelPearlies.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Here is Mischa modeling them!

Mischa.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Wow, so a Google search shows a ton of images... I guess it's a popular item! Hopefully not a fad!

Who in the world is this model? I love her hair!!!!!!

Google1.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not have any. I prefer real stuff but they are fun and I love the look. I am buying the runway bag with pearls as the chain, I assume the pearls are the same. I have a friend who owns one. I do want the resin cuffs, one has intertwined CC''s on it and one has a gorgeous crystal medallion, Neiman''s is locating them for me, they are about 1500.00 to 2000.00 each. I own real pearls in many lengths so I did not buy the Chanels, but I love the look. I got some in Beijing that are real, not the most high quality, and I can knot them and layer them, I got gray, pink, cream and white and I like them a lot.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 6:16:35 PM
Author: diamondfan
I do not have any. I prefer real stuff but they are fun and I love the look. I am buying the runway bag with pearls as the chain, I assume the pearls are the same. I have a friend who owns one. I do want the resin cuffs, one has intertwined CC''s on it and one has a gorgeous crystal medallion, Neiman''s is locating them for me, they are about 1500.00 to 2000.00 each. I own real pearls in many lengths so I did not buy the Chanels, but I love the look. I got some in Beijing that are real, not the most high quality, and I can knot them and layer them, I got gray, pink, cream and white and I like them a lot.
I LOVE that bag. Please post many, many pictures when you get it.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 6:16:35 PM
Author: diamondfan
That is VERY exciting!!!! Please do post photos when you can. That bag is TDF!
36.gif

I, too, prefer the real stuff. I do not own costume jewelry, but darn it... this Chanel strand is so CHIC and they do not make it in genuine pearls. They are fab, aren''t they? For a couple grand of faux, they had better be fab!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the look of that strandy pearl necklace.

The bag I am getting is a fairly limited production, I am getting the classic shape in black lamb with the gold chains and pearls for straps, and intertwined pearls are what make up the CC''s on the front. It is stunning. I will post pics as soon as I get it, they have it at Saks til I am back from the beach.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 6:04:58 PM
Author:Bliss
Has anyone bought Chanel pearls before?

Ever since I saw Anne Hathaway wearing the strands in The Devil Wears Prada, they''ve been on my wishlist.

How do they hold up in wear, I wonder?
i might get some heat for my comments.,..fake is fake no matter what label you put on it...2 grand is crazy to spend on costume jewelry no matter how fun the necklace may be...how much wear will these pearls need to get your moneys worth per wearing?...and think about the good jewelry in your jewelry box that isnt getting wear because you are wearing the fun fakes...dont just spend your money on jewelry ...invest it...2 grand will buy you some very nice pearls...consider taking a few hundred dollars and getting a couple strands of better quality fresh water pearls...the 100 inch strands and wear them wrapped like Coco Chanel...over and over again mixed with semi presious beads like onyx and agate or turquiose of differant lengths and mm sizes...these you can wear for years....after the custume ones have chipped and peeled and the gold plate has rubbed off or the glued in rhinestones have fallen out...you can find a fun fake in this quality level for only a few hundred dollars if you are determined to get the look,but dont fall for the hype ...some designer couture is worth the money but many of these same designers just source out their jewelry designs and dont know how to judge quality....do your home work and shop...you will find that in comparason that 2 grand is way over priced for this necklace.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/11/2008 11:54:25 PM

Author:
jewelerman

getting a couple strands of better quality fresh water pearls...the 100 inch strands and wear them wrapped like Coco Chanel...over and over again mixed with semi presious beads like onyx and agate or turquiose of differant lengths and mm sizes...these you can wear for years....after the custume ones have chipped and peeled and the gold plate has rubbed off or the glued in rhinestones have fallen out...you can find a fun fake in this quality level for only a few hundred dollars if you are determined to get the look,but dont fall for the hype ...some designer couture is worth the money but many of these same designers just source out their jewelry designs and dont know how to judge quality....do your home work and shop...you will find that in comparason that 2 grand is way over priced for this necklace.

jewelerman, I think what you wrote is very wise. I really agree and I think that it is good to have this pointed out. I think that I sometimes do not think things through and might make a purchase like Chanel pearls (if not Chanel pearls) just because some object seemed affordable and fun. It is better to take the long view of what we buy and throw into our jewelry boxes!

Deborah
34.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the Chanel are nice quality though pricey. I was able to get some great pearls in China a couple of years back, and I wear ropes of them all different lengths. I would have paid a lot more for them in the US, they were real, and decent quality, certainly not super amazing but perfect for the type of usage.

Honestly I love the look of the Chanel and though they are pricey I cannot comment, as I am buying a purse for $3500.00, which I hope will be fashionable as long as I want it to be, but still...most of this European stuff is so beyond expensive...I think it is not maybe the best expenditure but if it makes her happy, not sure what to say. My friend wears her all of the time, I see her wearing them day and night, with dressier and more casual stuff, so she is happy with them. I am not running out to buy them, but hey, if they go on sale could be great!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 12:22:01 AM
Author: AGBF

Date:
8/11/2008 11:54:25 PM

Author:
jewelerman

getting a couple strands of better quality fresh water pearls...the 100 inch strands and wear them wrapped like Coco Chanel...over and over again mixed with semi presious beads like onyx and agate or turquiose of differant lengths and mm sizes...these you can wear for years....after the custume ones have chipped and peeled and the gold plate has rubbed off or the glued in rhinestones have fallen out...you can find a fun fake in this quality level for only a few hundred dollars if you are determined to get the look,but dont fall for the hype ...some designer couture is worth the money but many of these same designers just source out their jewelry designs and dont know how to judge quality....do your home work and shop...you will find that in comparason that 2 grand is way over priced for this necklace.

jewelerman, I think what you wrote is very wise. I really agree and I think that it is good to have this pointed out. I think that I sometimes do not think things through and might make a purchase like Chanel pearls (if not Chanel pearls) just because some object seemed affordable and fun. It is better to take the long view of what we buy and throw into our jewelry boxes!

Deborah
34.gif
Thank you for agreeing...I was a buyer for a high end jeweler that rented space in a department store and the costume jewelery manager requested my help at market when buying new costume jewelry lines...no custume pearl necklace will ever be quality enough to cost 2 grand!Costume jewelry is ment to be trendy and fun and worn for a few years and the quality reflects this mentality... Chanel,YSL,and a few other designers has better quality costume but paying more then $400.00 for this necklace would be buying into the name brand hype.The company it self will sell the necklace and in a few years pronounce it old school and something else will become favored as the new classic to own and buy...thats marketing and retail...there is no room for longevity in costume jewelry design or the company woulnt continue to make money from year to year.I wouls also look at pearls by Majorca,Trifari,Napier...in that order for quality levels and price...the first being a well known high end man made pearl jewelry company.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I think this strand of pearls (known as timeless classic pearl necklace) cost USD795, not more than 2K. However, there are many chanel costume jewelry that costs more than 2K and i agree that it is too much to spend on costume. Bags yes, because it takes more effort and craftmenship to make a bag. Costume jewelry, no, because just a couple of hours and some faux pearls, you can easily make a strand yourself (I make some of my own jewelry too, so I know how simple it is to make them).

If you are interested, you can go the the purse forum and look up the chanel section, lots of info there. I once mention on the forum that 2K is too much for costume jewelry and was shot down.. hehehe. I rather pay 10K for my south sea pearls anytime. However, I do buy some small Chanel earrings which are priced cheaply (about $200) because they are cute and the price is at least not so unreasonable.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto re: real vs. faux. Honestly, if I had a 2k pearl budget, I''d buy some Mikimotos.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Oy! Now you all have me reconsidering.
26.gif
I know it's really somewhat of a rip-off if one considers buying designer in the first place.
32.gif
But to put it into perspective, why should Christian Louboutin shoes cost over $1,000? I wear them. Other shoes that probably look similar cost way less. I guess I just like the look. I'm not a shopaholic, but when I like a certain style... I like it.

I have jewels and do not buy costume jewelry, but this one was so chic I told my friend in Hong Kong to buy them for me. I couldn't find them here. It's not a "wise buy," as I'm not buying pork bellies (LOL) but neither are Marc Jacobs bags and etc! But I like those, too.
31.gif
The faux vs real pearl argument is very valid, however. I don't intend to buy the entire collection, but around $2k to me is reasonable for an item like this. I would spend the same for a Chanel top... It's like clothing in my mind.

I spent about $2k a few weekends ago for a black diamond and gold necklace from Fragments in SoHo. It was really not worth that much, but it was made by a Japanese designer and I really really liked it! Plus, even my mom urged me to get it because it was so versatile. LOL. She's an enabler! Sometimes you like what you like and if you can afford to, why not? I have real pearls, too (thanks, Mom!)... But I like this look with the different sized pearls and the versatility.

For me it's the joy you get out of something that makes it worth it. And I will enjoy these very much as a fun accessory! And if you can afford to, why not? I only wanted to know if the quality was decent. Hey, FI doesn't even buy diamonds for me from Tiffany anymore after PS per my request, so we are balanced with cost/true value. Sometimes ya gotta live and rest assured, we are very responsible financially.

30.gif

But I REALLY do appreciate the wise comments. Thank you!

I really loved jewelerman's fashion advice. You should be a stylist!!!! That would be a lovely look.
30.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan, don''t forget to come back or create a thread with your fabulous Chanel bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 6:11:43 PM
Author: Bliss
Wow, so a Google search shows a ton of images... I guess it''s a popular item! Hopefully not a fad!

Who in the world is this model? I love her hair!!!!!!
That''s actually Carmen Electra, it''s a papparazzi pic. It''s actually a pretty good shot.

I''ve been wanting some pearls...hm, pondering.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bliss, I will.

It will be my third Chanel bag in a month, so I am a bit crazy right now! I could not pass this one up, though, it is so pretty. Quintessential Chanel with the pearls and chain.

I also just spent $5000.00 on Troll beads, made three bracelets, with a lot of 18K beads and one of kind glass beads, just because I love the colors and they are fun. I love fashion, I also love CL and no, most of the designer stuff is NOT worth what is charged, in true cost the stuff is likely costing a fraction to make but it is the label and the hype that gets people going. This Chanel bag is from the runway (the other two I got are not) and it is something that few people are going to have. It is a small rectangle and not for use other than with a dressy suit or out to dinner, but I adore it. I also got a gorgeous Chanel sweater coat will wear it a lot this fall, yes it was not inexpensive (a bargain for a Chanel but still) and I do not need it, but it is wearable and I love it. Some of the runway stuff is insane, no one is wearing stuff like that around town, and it is a fortune. I was in the Chanel department looking at a suit for the service of my son''s bar mitzvah, and saw a pink jacket that was 10,000.00. It was not even that nice. I am looking at a basic black classic suit, I can wear the jacket with jeans and a t shirt and strands of pearls and it will look great, I can put a black cashmere turtleneck on with the skirt in the fall with black tights and boots...it is not something I will wear once. I would not ever buy the pink jacket, it was too fussy and trendy and I did not like it, but someone will buy it and I know I will see them in it at a luncheon this fall. It is all about how you like to spend your discretionary money...if one person would never buy the Chanel costume stuff, there is someone who will buy and enjoy it....

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 11:05:01 AM
Oy! Now you all have me reconsidering.
26.gif
I know it''s really somewhat of a rip-off if one considers buying designer in the first place.
32.gif
But to put it into perspective, why should Christian Louboutin shoes cost over $1,000? I wear them. Other shoes that probably look similar cost way less. I guess I just like the look. I''m not a shopaholic, but when I like a certain style... I like it.

I have jewels and do not buy costume jewelry, but this one was so chic I told my friend in Hong Kong to buy them for me. I couldn''t find them here. It''s not a ''wise buy,'' as I''m not buying pork bellies (LOL) but neither are Marc Jacobs bags and etc! But I like those, too.
31.gif
The faux vs real pearl argument is very valid, however. I don''t intend to buy the entire collection, but around $2k to me is reasonable for an item like this. I would spend the same for a Chanel top... It''s like clothing in my mind.

I spent about $2k a few weekends ago for a black diamond and gold necklace from Fragments in SoHo. It was really not worth that much, but it was made by a Japanese designer and I really really liked it! Plus, even my mom urged me to get it because it was so versatile. LOL. She''s an enabler! Sometimes you like what you like and if you can afford to, why not? I have real pearls, too (thanks, Mom!)... But I like this look with the different sized pearls and the versatility.

For me it''s the joy you get out of something that makes it worth it. And I will enjoy these very much as a fun accessory! And if you can afford to, why not? I only wanted to know if the quality was decent. Hey, FI doesn''t even buy diamonds for me from Tiffany anymore after PS per my request, so we are balanced with cost/true value. Sometimes ya gotta live and rest assured, we are very responsible financially.

30.gif

But I REALLY do appreciate the wise comments. Thank you!

I really loved jewelerman''s fashion advice. You should be a stylist!!!! That would be a lovely look.
30.gif
Hi Bliss, the necklace is less than 1k, so it will be less of a pain for the wallet. Where are you located? I am in Asia and I order my chanels from London. Even with the shipping, it is much cheaper with the weaker GBP and 17.5% tax rebate.

Anyway, I don''t buy the costume jewelry compared to shoes and bags or clothes because I can''t make the shoes and bags and clothes but I know how easy it is to make the jewelry. So to me, the costume jewelry is not worth as much as compared to the rest of the items. But that''s just me.

Hi Diamondfan, talking about being chanel crazy, I bought a total of 7 chanel handbags in less than two months.. I think I am the crazy one! My hubby gives me strange looks
20.gif
and asks me "another purse?" whenever UPS rings the door bell. The fall collection is just so beautiful. I believe the pearl flap bag that you are referring to is the westminster pearls flap bag? I saw a picture of Lindsay Lohan carrying it and it looks divine.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
simplysplendid, thank you! My friend says they''re about $2k, so I will just have to go into the Chanel boutique here in Manhattan to have them look it up, then. I just trusted her because she said they had them in stock in Asia. Oy! They are the ones with the pearl logos, not the lacquer. The 35 inch? Where are they being sold for so cheap?!?? I''m going to get two then! Haha.

And YOU must also post your latest couture! I adore bags.
36.gif
Lindsay is quite the Chanel-ista. I saw a photo of her in these pearls as well. I mean, "pearls." LOL.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bliss, yes, the one in the second picture you posted aka timeless classic pearl necklace is USD795, if there has been no price increase since last two months, that is! : )

Of all the chanel necklaces, I think this is probably one of the most reasonably priced ones. I think Mischa Barton has layered two of these necklaces on because I don''t think they are long enough to go round three times. Also, I think buying chanel in the states is cheaper than buying in HK (not sure about the taxes though)..

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Bliss,
I believe you are finantially responsible.You ask if you can afford something then why not...i would like to answer that question...the people that are willing to pay an outragious price for something by a popular designer drives prices up accross the board...the designers will always push the retail envolope and get as much as the can from the buyer...its marketing today that drives the demand and not quality...it used to be that the more expensive an object the better the materials and design...a person used to need to handle an object to know the quality...today marketing and public relations tell us that brand name =quiality as does price because every thing now is mass produced in labor saving factories over seas.If a designer is to be taken seriously into todays market place they must be percieved as slightly unobtainable by middle america So prices are artificially created...some design oriented shoppers think that affordable cant mean desirable...In many products lines the actual product is the same ,but the marketing and packaging is more expensive and so the cost is higher and percieved as better quality.The prices people pay for luxary good affect what people pay for other goods in the same market place.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Simply, I think so. I cannot recall the name off the top of my head but I love it. It is from the Paris Londres accessories collection for fall 2008...

I had actually bought many bags recently, including Dior and LV, but the three Chanels were within a few weeks and in the US the prices are nuts. I think the bag with the pearls is the prettiest thing this season, I forgot I also bought a hot pink satin Chanel quilted clutch to go with these hot pink and crystal Christian Lacroix sandals...I love the Chanel style for the most part, of course they do some odd ball stuff sometimes and I think they are nutty to think most suburban women are going to carry some of the stuff or wear some of it, one of the jackets I am planning to get is lovely with a bow closure but they showed it on the runway with this heinous long skirt that is nasty, and only the tallest thinnest person would consider wearing it...ugh, it is so ugly even the Chanel specialist said it is horrible and no one is buying it, but the jacket is great, I would have to pair it with black pants or a skirt from the collection that goes back with it, because the long skirt is not happening. Most of the women I know are not wearing something like that.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I have several ropes of pearls--all different lengths and sizes. I LOVE pearls.
I love the look of the Chanel rope, but I can't deal with faux pearls. Pearls are incredible gems--I bet you could have a rope made with two diamond clasps--like the Chanel piece, but with natural diamonds and cultured pearls. Just a thought.

In any case, the look is gorgeous, and I love to see people wearing pearl ropes--and pearls in general--faux or no. They are by far my favorite gem.

Carbonlove

Rough_Rock
Love this thread! I like to live vicariously through others because I love designer items just can''t afford them
8.gif
. I say if you got the money to spend on them then go for it! It isn''t like you are compromising getting something else.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bliss, I got my bag, I have not picked it up but I will have it when I get home. I will try to post pictures as soon as I can...

Anyway, my SA got call after call about the bag. It showed in the inventory because he had not yet rung it and so many stores were calling for it. He told them it was for his best customer and that I was away. He took great care of me, and I am excited.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
DIAMONDFAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got the bag! You got the bag! You got the beautiful bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36.gif

I just had to log on to twirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome!!! You know, after Miss Simplysplendid gave me the right price for the Chanel pearls (a little over $850 with tax) I got TWO PAIRS! One for my mom, who loves them and thinks they're fun and one for me! It was a steal. I love 'em!

And now I cannot wait for you to create a NEW THREAD in honor of your new bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MMMM...that leather. BUTTAH!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bliss, where did you get them? I would love to get a strand or two myself. Saks carries the accessories but not those pearls. Do they have the CC''s in them? Where do you live?

I am excited. He was so funny, so many people were demanding it and he said no. Good SA, really on the ball.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 12:51:53 AM

Awesome!!! You know, after Miss Simplysplendid gave me the right price for the Chanel pearls (a little over $850 with tax) I got TWO PAIRS! One for my mom, who loves them and thinks they''re fun and one for me! It was a steal. I love ''em!
hehe, I never thought I would hear anyone describe $800 fake pearls as a steal. Sounds so funny! (no offense meant) Hope you enjoy them though; they certainly are super cute!!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 8:05:04 PM
Author: icekid

Date: 8/30/2008 12:51:53 AM

Awesome!!! You know, after Miss Simplysplendid gave me the right price for the Chanel pearls (a little over $850 with tax) I got TWO PAIRS! One for my mom, who loves them and thinks they''re fun and one for me! It was a steal. I love ''em!
hehe, I never thought I would hear anyone describe $800 fake pearls as a steal. Sounds so funny! (no offense meant) Hope you enjoy them though; they certainly are super cute!!
Icekid... LOL!!! I know, I know. But they are a bargain compared to what my friend in Hong Kong was quoting! Thanks, they''re fun and very pretty in person. I bought one pair, my mom loved it so I gave it to her. And then I missed it so I got another!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results