shape
carat
color
clarity

What's on your Christmas wish list (non-jewelry stuff)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I knew if I said jewelry, we'd probably end up with a one huge bling wish list....so here goes:

1) a really warm and light weight pea coat
2) a new Burberry handbag
3) a Kindle fire
4) a new bedroom set (including new bedding)
5) PJ's with cuffs on them so they don't ride up

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a Nikon D90 so lenses for that! Oh and we got our xmas gift early but it is a Video Camera, a Sony.

I would like a purse.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to highjack, but gosh, your avatar little guy is so very cute Skippy!! :appl:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
A new food processor--I can tell mine is going to burn out any day. It's got a lot of miles on it!!
a Le Cruset casserole

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A Keurig coffee maker.
My favorite perfume, 'cause I'm out.
And I wouldn't say no to a gift card each from B&N and Starbucks. :bigsmile:

My wants are simple and few.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Ideally: a kiln and a pottery wheel. SO not going to happen.

Probably could happen? I new leather purse that's big enough to carry my ipad without looking like it's carrying my ipad. And, still a little stylish.

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
Zujirushi BB-CEC20
K. Dagger Hallie wedge booties in leopard.

ETA: What a gorgeous little baby boy!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Saoirse2|1321677342|3064976 said:
Zujirushi BB-CEC20

What's the Zojirushi BB-CEC20? I know they make rice cookers, thermos bottles, bread makers, pressure cookers, coffee makers, etc... Anyways, they make wonderful products. I bought a thermos from them a couple years back, and it is fantastic. It keeps liquids piping hot for HOURS!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Furry slippers from Restoration Hardware.
I wouldn't turn down the matching blanket, either.
Nothing too fancy!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I would like any of the following -

An ice cream making attachment for my Kitchenaid

Some loungewear and a scarf from Hush

Some Jo Malone bath oils

A new radio

A days cookery course

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Three small shoulder bags. One is Chloe See, the other Kate Spade and the third... I can't recall the name of the designer.
I only want one bag, but I gave him options.

One pair of red orthopedic brand slip on shoes. One pair of orthopedic brand wedge boots that are actually cute. PJs and a Night gown. Two pairs of leather ballet slippers.

Some Frank Lloyd Wright Christmas Ornaments. And a Nook Touch or a Nook Color.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Mary Chesnut's Civil War Diary, the new edition with recently-discovered photos she intended to include with it.

A winning lottery ticket!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not much on my wish list this year

A new purse (which I think my sister just bought, we got some smoking deals on some coach purses she bought herself 3 and I bought my Mom one for Christmas)

A massage, I just got my first one yesterday...it was pure heaven

New sweats, I wear sweats in the winter to work in (I work from home)

Thats about all, there are other things that I would like to have but I wouldnt want anyone to buy them for me.....

ETA add I like a winning lottery ticket as well :appl:

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
A GC to Loft and Starbucks
Leopard print ballet flats
Leopard print scarf
Cognac knee boots
Gray booties
Amethyst stud earrings (sort of bling but not really :).
New knife set
Keurig

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm all over the winning lottery ticket idea!

I'd just like to have a nice day with my family - my birthday is Dec 24 and everything always gets muddled up and my birthday gets lost in the shuffle. I don't need anything, and what I want, I can buy for myself. I'd just like to be together and without conflict.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generac generator for our beach house.

And more importantly for my dad to have successful knee surgery and rehab (the Monday after Thanksgiving is his surgery date).
This is the main thing I want for the holidays. For my dad to come through it all OK. He's not young and I worry.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1321716695|3065159 said:

And more importantly for my dad to have successful knee surgery and rehab (the Monday after Thanksgiving is his surgery date).
This is the main thing I want for the holidays. For my dad to come through it all OK. He's not young and I worry.

Hi Missy, is he having knee replacement surgery? My dad had this done last spring. It took him a long time to finally commit to having the surgery, but once the pain really started to diminish his overall quality of life, he bit the bullet. He's 72 and extremely active, and it drove him nuts that he wasn't able to do the things he was used to doing without pain. Now he says he wished he hadn't wasted so much time before getting it done.

The recovery and physical therapy process is NOT fun. It really shook me up to see my dad grimace in pain, because he has always been so stoic. For the first couple of months, he wondered if he had made the right decision, but he was just being impatient with his recovery. Now that he has gotten through the recovery, he is so freaking happy with the surgery! No limp, no pain; just an occasional stiffness here and there. He's got his old, pain-free life back!

The most important thing for your dad to remember is that he must be patient with himself through the recovery and physical therapy, and follow his doctor's and therapist's directions to a T! My dad wanted to over-do the exercises, and that does more harm than good and slows down the recovery process. Also, be prepared for the pain to be much worse before it gets better during the first six weeks or so. But just know that it will be sooooo worth it once everything heals!

Sorry for the thread jack. It's tough to see your parent go through a painful recovery, but it will be fine! Just help him keep his spirits up during recovery.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs jam|1321719401|3065176 said:

Hi Missy, is he having knee replacement surgery? My dad had this done last spring. It took him a long time to finally commit to having the surgery, but once the pain really started to diminish his overall quality of life, he bit the bullet. He's 72 and extremely active, and it drove him nuts that he wasn't able to do the things he was used to doing without pain. Now he says he wished he hadn't wasted so much time before getting it done.

The recovery and physical therapy process is NOT fun. It really shook me up to see my dad grimace in pain, because he has always been so stoic. For the first couple of months, he wondered if he had made the right decision, but he was just being impatient with his recovery. Now that he has gotten through the recovery, he is so freaking happy with the surgery! No limp, no pain; just an occasional stiffness here and there. He's got his old, pain-free life back!

The most important thing for your dad to remember is that he must be patient with himself through the recovery and physical therapy, and follow his doctor's and therapist's directions to a T! My dad wanted to over-do the exercises, and that does more harm than good and slows down the recovery process. Also, be prepared for the pain to be much worse before it gets better during the first six weeks or so. But just know that it will be sooooo worth it once everything heals!

Sorry for the thread jack. It's tough to see your parent go through a painful recovery, but it will be fine! Just help him keep his spirits up during recovery.

Thanks Mrs Jam! I appreciate your input. He is having knee replacement surgery.

He was the same as your dad in that he has postponed this for so long(for over a couple of years now if you can believe it). He needs both knees replaced but the doctor is only going to do one at a time because of chance of infection rate being quadrupled if both are done at the same time. He was actually scheduled for last year but the week he was supposed to have the surgery he fell (because of his knees!) and he broke his hip so they had to do hip replacement that week instead. :(( Thank goodness he handled that just fine but it is difficult because my dad is not in great health and he doesn't have a formal exercise routine. His exercise consists of running around after 2 little grandkids LOL. He has been finally using his cane over the last year since he just cannot walk without it but even getting him to do that was like pulling teeth (pun intended as he is a retired dentist ;)) )

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience to alleviate my worries. I'm so glad your dad is doing well!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1321722679|3065190 said:
mrs jam|1321719401|3065176 said:

Thanks Mrs Jam! I appreciate your input. He is having knee replacement surgery.

He was the same as your dad in that he has postponed this for so long(for over a couple of years now if you can believe it). He needs both knees replaced but the doctor is only going to do one at a time because of chance of infection rate being quadrupled if both are done at the same time. He was actually scheduled for last year but the week he was supposed to have the surgery he fell (because of his knees!) and he broke his hip so they had to do hip replacement that week instead. :(( Thank goodness he handled that just fine but it is difficult because my dad is not in great health and he doesn't have a formal exercise routine. His exercise consists of running around after 2 little grandkids LOL. He has been finally using his cane over the last year since he just cannot walk without it but even getting him to do that was like pulling teeth (pun intended as he is a retired dentist ;)) )

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience to alleviate my worries. I'm so glad your dad is doing well!

I think that once he gets through the whole recovery process, he will be so glad he did it! That really stinks that he has to have both knees done, but it will be so worth it in the end, I promise! From what I've read, knee replacement surgery recovery is a bit tougher than the recovery from a hip replacement as the knee has a lot more range of movement than the hip. Just know that while the first couple of months will probably be a bear for your dad to get through, he will get through it! My dad's physical therapist told us that it is common for people to question their decision after the first couple of weeks and wonder why the heck they had the surgery, and that can really cause some anxiety. It helped us to know that the difficult recovery period is totally normal; after all, it's a pretty intense surgical procedure! Just make sure he sticks to his physical therapy schedule, and don't let him get stubborn and try to wean himself off the pain meds too early!

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
tuffyluvr|1321680094|3064999 said:
Saoirse2|1321677342|3064976 said:
Zujirushi BB-CEC20

What's the Zojirushi BB-CEC20? I know they make rice cookers, thermos bottles, bread makers, pressure cookers, coffee makers, etc... Anyways, they make wonderful products. I bought a thermos from them a couple years back, and it is fantastic. It keeps liquids piping hot for HOURS!

It's a bread maker. My 1lb Zoj maker finally died on me, can't find an excuse to buy the larger version at full price :((

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I asked for a new stove and or dishwasher (I know, exciting!) and my hair products to maintain it. I also asked for (despite hating myself deeply for it) a new pair of uggs since the back of mine on the inside is all jacked up and rips a hole in my foot.

Besides that Ialways ask for and get Nordstrom g/c.

I am very much more interested usually in my family doing stuff for the families we adopt from my parents church. We got a good one this year that I am REALLY excited about: a grandmother who took in her five young grandkids ages 21mos to 8 yrs. They had bikes on there, and other such toys. My dad immediately claimed the bikes. He was so excited to just blow these kids minds. We also are getting the grandmother things like spa treatments, and gift cards for herself. She has asked for only toys for the kids and shoe gift cards, but she deserves a good thing or two, too. My immediate family goes for it, we love making sure a family is just blown away, we need NOTHING, we can't even think of stuff we want. So why waste money? I really love doing this. We got two families last year and blew them away but there was so much demand to apodt one this year they only gave us one, thankfully one with lots of kids. The lady at my parents church gets moved to tears when my dad and brother bring our stuff in. I guess a lot of the folks stick to the list, or cheap out on it, which really makes me sad. I know these people are needing things, but why buy them the cheapest stuff you can??? Get them something quality! We do it up, and it makes us feel good that these people have a great christmas and that's one less stressor for them, it has to be hard enough to ask for help.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Good luck to him!!! My dad had his done last year--one on the day before Halloween and then the other on the day after Xmas. His first one seems to be doing better than the second, but I think his recovery was so touchy on the first one that they did something different. I dunno. He was SO HIGH on Morphine I think he OD'd or something. He really was not himself, but the second time he was much more with it and in a lot more pain. Just make sure he DOES THE WORK. He has to do it or it isn't worth hving the surgery.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I'd like a Garment Steamer, an Ultrasonic Jewellery Cleaner and a Hair Dryer - do they still make the cap version?

My birthday is within a week of Christmas, so I get to ask for a few things.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
L.O.T.T.O. (as sung to the tune of "M.O.U.S.E!")

A Rebecca Minkoff diaper bag that somebody ELSE finds on sale for me - I can't stomach the thought of paying $700 for a diaper bag, but I still want one.

An inappropriate stuffed animal. Currently, I would like a stuffed fox by Hansa.

Mmm ... lessee, what else ... a nice cashmere robe: a bottle of Shalimar parfum; and a surprise. I haven't had a surprise in ages (I usually don't like them), and I find myself oddly in the mood ....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1321731273|3065245 said:

Good luck to him!!! My dad had his done last year--one on the day before Halloween and then the other on the day after Xmas. His first one seems to be doing better than the second, but I think his recovery was so touchy on the first one that they did something different. I dunno. He was SO HIGH on Morphine I think he OD'd or something. He really was not himself, but the second time he was much more with it and in a lot more pain. Just make sure he DOES THE WORK. He has to do it or it isn't worth hving the surgery.

Thank you Ame and Mrs Jam. I am concerned about him doing the work but I know ultimately he will do the best he can. He is 77 and as I mentioned not in the best of shape so I know it will be hard but we will be supporting him every way we can. I appreciate your advice and will certainly pass it on to my dad!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope that his insurance provides him with the proper recovery items. I recall my dad being strapped into some gadget the evening of his surgery that would bend and straighten his leg and thinking "jeez! they JUST cut him open like 9 hours ago and he's already doing this!" but he would lay in his bed in the middle of the living room and just strap himself into that thing 3x a day and snore away for 3 hours at a time after the therapist left the house. Then I think he started going there after a month? He still uses that weird "foot loop" on a stick thing to pick his foot up sometimes.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I dunno. Creed perfume--there are a scents few I wouldn't mind.

cheers--Sharon

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
For my husband to find my slippers. Seriously. They have been missing for months. He's already getting me a custom necklace, so that's the only other thing I asked for.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The things I really wanted, which were a new lightweight jacket and a new winter coat for myself, and a larger tv for the den, we went and got them this weekend! Both coats are from Lands end and I love them, but since it's oddly 70 degrees out can't wear them. We also bit the bullet and upgraded from a 26" to a 32" tv. I was vacillating between a 32 or a 37". Now that we have it set up, I think it's the perfect size for us. I don't like tvs that take over the room, but at the same time it its appreciably bigger than our old main tv and makes tv/movie watching much more enjoyable.

For my husband and I, we don't really buy each other big gifts anymore, so those will be the main things. But we will buy each other books and small stocking stuffer things. What I really want to do is get our computer upgraded so he can play a computer game I purchased him for a previous Christmas.

I really would like to get a move on and get Christmas shopping done early, but no one has told me what they want including my immediate family. So probably going with the generic (food) gifts and cash/giftcards.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results